Destiny - Bungies next gen mmo

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

raydude

Re: Destiny - Bungies next gen mmo

Post by raydude »

A recap for everyone:
gellar joined a myself and my real-life friend Chris in a fireteam. Chris had already run through the "no time to explain" questline so he knew what to expect, but forgot the ghost locations. Fortunately I was able to refer to the linked videos to find them. Overall the mission wasn't hard at all, we just had to remember not to wipe. We did have one hiccup when we passed the spot where the 2nd ghost was supposed to be and could not backtrack to it. This forced us to restart the mission from the beginning. Even so, it only took us about an hour to complete - including the restart.

If anyone else did it last night then one thing to remember is that you don't get the quest from Lakshmi (step 2) until after the weekly reset on Tuesday. So don't freak out if she didn't give you the quest after you turned in the 'cult ghost' you received from doing all of step 1.

I like that destiny offers exotic weapons as part of a quest like this. I don't like that the quests are "gated by time", meaning that you can only start them when a specific condition is available and that condition is only available for one day. In this case the condition is that the Paradox mission is the daily heroic.

Don't feel too bad if you were not able to play it last night. If Paradox rolls around again as the daily heroic then feel free to post here and I'm sure we'll be able to get a team together. If it's early enough (or on a Friday) then I'll be able to pitch in to help as well.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I gave it a try solo, but then quickly realized that I was not in the mood for fancy jumping maneuvers. :lol: Maybe next time. In other news, my titan is now at 298 light without having ever set foot in a raid. I almost think if I can get the 310 sword it might push me over the top. I should do the math.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Hamlet3145 wrote:I gave it a try solo, but then quickly realized that I was not in the mood for fancy jumping maneuvers. :lol: Maybe next time. In other news, my titan is now at 298 light without having ever set foot in a raid. I almost think if I can get the 310 sword it might push me over the top. I should do the math.
For me the main annoyance was the "don't wipe" requirement. It's a hell of a lot easier to not wipe when there are three in a fireteam. Speaking of the sword quest I've got the 310 arc and solar swords now. Maybe if we can get a group of 3 together we can work on getting you an exotic sword. Which element are you doing?
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Arc! And that would be awesome.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

So I've levelled up a bit more, the new gear from the cryptograms helped -- and really starting to do the bounties helped me get a leg up a lot quicker than just doing patrols etc. Finally beat the mission that had me pegged and so on.

Anyways I just started doing some Crucible missions, but I am level 15 and it keeps pairing me against level 40 people.. What the hell? I get one shotted, and really the only way I have a hope in hell is if I get my golden gun out and a couple of quick shots I can kill someone. My auto rifle and shotgun are like throwing stones at a tank, it just pisses them off and they one shot me.

Should I just park the crucible idea until I'm level 40? I figured it would level the playing field, but it certainly doesn't seem to be that way.
No.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had heard good things about the new expansion cleaning up the game. I played it new (it was my Christmas present last year), but found it dull.

If I'm reading correctly, though, you have to have all of the previous expansions to get the newest one at $40 - essentially meaning that I'd have to re-buy the game at full retail price to access the new content. Is that correct?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Blackhawk wrote:I had heard good things about the new expansion cleaning up the game. I played it new (it was my Christmas present last year), but found it dull.

If I'm reading correctly, though, you have to have all of the previous expansions to get the newest one at $40 - essentially meaning that I'd have to re-buy the game at full retail price to access the new content. Is that correct?
Up here in Canada they are selling the Taken King (+ all previous DLC and original game) for $80. I was able to buy each DLC and the Taken King DLC for I think $70 on the Sony canada store. I saved $10, but it was digital -- I really prefer to buy stuff on disc so that when I sell the system it goes with it (I almost paid for my PS4 by selling my 360 w/ 25 games).

Anyhow now that I've got some level appropriate gear (Blues) it's made a big difference. I don't get pwned by the average mob anymore, and have built a few strategies. The crucible though? I think it can suck it for now, great random gear but I get tired of being killed non stop.
No.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I have my light up to 296.

I somehow got randomly invited to a raid and was completely lost. Should have known better, but the group I was in assumed we all knew what we were doing and it was a cluster "f". Pretty much a waste of 2 hours of gaming.

I'm doing the patrols now and having some fun. Still plenty of content for me to play.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

PSA: Just saw on Reddit that if you hit rank 3 with Iron Banner you are awarded a 310 light level artifact. I think I'll be able to reach that with my hunter (who is my PvP char). I'll post with confirmation if it's true. Also, heard that the rank 5 reward is a 310 ghost, but no way am I hitting that this time around.

Edit: Can confirm it's true. The Rank 3 reward was a blue 310 artifact. The rank 5 reward is a purple 310 ghost AND a purple 310+ class item. (It ended up being easier to hit rank 5 than I thought so I did it on both my hunter and titan). This means my titan is now at 302 light so exotic engrams now have a chance to decrypt at 310 . :D
raydude

Post by raydude »

So I took a break from Destiny and played Fallout 4 for a few weeks. However, I am back to playing Destiny so that I can farm 300-320 helmets and class items in the new Sparrow Racing League!

That's right, Destiny has a special event going on right now - 6-player sparrow racing, hosted by Amanda Holiday - the engineer gal in the Tower Hanger who fixed up your first ship. Visit her to get bounties and start the racing quest line and then go to orbit. Select destinations and the racing should be in the bottom left corner, where the crucible stuff is usually located.

Finish races to get "Standing", aka Rep with the SRL faction. Higher ranks give better rewards. Helmets and class items from light 300-310 starts dropping at Rank 2 and light 310-320 at Rank 3.

More info on how to get Racing Rep here..

In short, this looks like a fast, easy and fun way to get higher level helmets and class items. From the link it seems about 40 races + quests and bounties to get to Rank 3 and those 310-320 light drops.
That's about 8 hours game time over 4 or 5 days.
Note that the class items and helmets are geared towards racing but you can always just infuse them into your existing helmets to raise those light levels, which is what I plan to do.

See you all on the race track!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i just started this. however, i am thinking no one else here is playing on PS3...
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote:I had heard good things about the new expansion cleaning up the game. I played it new (it was my Christmas present last year), but found it dull.

The legendary edition of the taken king includes the first game + expansions for about $40 on amazon.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Got this over the holidays and it's sucked me in.

Pyperkub on xbox one.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

'battlefinch' on PSN
raydude

Post by raydude »

If you're doing the Taken King content you'll see these things called "calcified fragments" on the Dreadnaught. Try to only pick them up with one character. The reason being that there is a fixed amount of these things and they are all in set locations. The game tracks them separately for each character and there is no way to figure out which ones you already have for a given character.

There is a website that tracks calcified fragments by account. It does this by accessing the Destiny grimoire card database and you get one grimoire card per calcified fragment you pick up. However, you only get 1 grimoire card per account, hence you can't figure out which character has picked up which fragment. You can find out how many your character has by selecting the dreadnaught from orbit. You'll see a ratio in the bottom lower right corner: Image

Calcified fragments are important for some of the Taken King quests - including a quest to get you the Touch of Malice exotic scout rifle. You'll need 45 calcified fragments and there are only 50 total.

I picked up calcified fragments with my titan and my hunter before I knew this. The website tells me I found 45, but the dreadnaught map tells me I only found 39 with my Titan. The website can't tell me which ones my Titan doesn't have so I'm going down the list, revisiting every possible calcified fragment site to figure out which ones my Titan doesn't have. It is a pain in the butt. Don't be me :).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Got my first toon (a Titan) to level 40 this weekend - only about 235 light so far.

Anyone going to be on tonight who wants to get the Crimson Bonds stuff done? I'm Pyperkub on xb1 (will probably be on around 6:30pm PST.)

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Picked this up during a PlayStation store flash sale Friday night, and promptly spent the entire weekend playing. It even tore me away from Witcher 3. i usually am not a huge fan of shooters, but man this game is addictive as crap. It reminds me of Borderlands in many ways.
Covfefe!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I'm back playing Destiny in advance of the Rise of Iron release. Kurth01 on Xbox One. Happy to do whatever. Give me a shout if you want to form a fireteam, but fair warning, I suck pretty bad!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I'll be back for sure once Rise of Iron launches. Earlier this summer, I got my characters up to gear level 320 or so. :horse:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kurth wrote:I'm back playing Destiny in advance of the Rise of Iron release. Kurth01 on Xbox One. Happy to do whatever. Give me a shout if you want to form a fireteam, but fair warning, I suck pretty bad!
Would love to try to do some moments of triumph stuff before the launch - I should be on around 6:30pm PST tonight (xBox One - Pyperkub)

JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Saw tweets yesterday on twitter about Destiny and that private pvp matches are now available.

So for those of you that like to do that, there ya go!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Played a couple of story missions in the Rise of Iron expansion and it's fun. There's some serious shooty-face bang-bang boss + minions fights there...

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

PS3/X360 are being dumped. i'll keep playing until they stop supporting last-gen completely.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Anyone else still playing? (Kurth - I think I forgot to send you a friend invite).

I like the Age of Triumph book, and I've really enjoyed going back through the old quests/stories while levelling a Hunter up to 40, and I'm trying to get to the 380/390 light for Trials of Osiris, etc.

did anyone join any clans which are still active? I'd like to do the rest of the Raids, and it would probably be nice to get the clan achievements. I'd rather play with OO/GT/qt3'ers however.

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Since I just recently got a PS4, I picked up a copy of this for $5 to dabble and hopefully dampen my interest in Destiny 2. It backfired, because I think I'm kinda into it. I usually hate FPS with a controller, but this isn't so bad.

If I do 2, I'm waffling between PC and PS4. Playing from the couch would be nice, but the lower overall cost of the PC version, plus being able to use the mouse might be the deciding factors. Aiming with the controller isn't terrible here, but I'm still way more confident and comfortable with the mouse.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Did it come with the expansions for that price?

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Pyperkub wrote:Did it come with the expansions for that price?
Nah, just the base game, used from Gamestop. I'm planning to play through the base content, and then think about picking up Taken King. It's totally possible that the sequel will be almost out by the time I get that far, so I may pass on the expansions.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

For those keeping up with and buying Destiny 2 I have a question,

What's going to happen to Destiny when Destiny 2 get's released? Will it continue to be played or will it get shut down and cease to exist?

I haven't seen or read anything saying what the future status of Destiny will be, so just wondering it anybody knows anything about it's
continuation in the future, thanks!
naednek

Post by naednek »

I originally bought this when it launched. I don't recall if it was on a 360 or ps4. All I know is that I grew board after seeing the queen. This last Christmas I received the GOTY edition and started over, and had a much better time with it. With that said, the story was beyond lame and I didn't even know I was on the last level. It was a huge let down. But Taken King looks pretty cool.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Come on, no thoughts/comments from people playing the beta that released yesterday?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kurth wrote:Come on, no thoughts/comments from people playing the beta that released yesterday?
Only for preorders. Opens Friday for others like me who will wait to see deals.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

naednek wrote:I originally bought this when it launched. I don't recall if it was on a 360 or ps4. All I know is that I grew board after seeing the queen. This last Christmas I received the GOTY edition and started over, and had a much better time with it. With that said, the story was beyond lame and I didn't even know I was on the last level. It was a huge let down. But Taken King looks pretty cool.
When I bought it, it came with everything up to and including the taken king, and it has the most playtime on the Xbone by far.

naednek

Post by naednek »

So apparently there's 2 smaller expansion s that came with the Goty but I can't figure out to activate it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

naednek wrote:So apparently there's 2 smaller expansion s that came with the Goty but I can't figure out to activate it

I think it's the house of wolves stuff in the reef with the queen amd something else. I think it will all be in the game, incorporated.

naednek

Post by naednek »

Ok. I probably played it then. Makes the game feel even more short.

Multiplayer is way too overpowered for me. Everyone is lvl 40 I'm 26

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

naednek wrote:Ok. I probably played it then. Makes the game feel even more short.

Multiplayer is way too overpowered for me. Everyone is lvl 40 I'm 26

They do eliminate level differences, but there are definitely advantages to having a fully (ability) leveled character with leveled gear. If they do sparrow racing again, that's a lot of fun and takes those out of the equation.

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Kurth wrote:Come on, no thoughts/comments from people playing the beta that released yesterday?
I didn't preorder, but I did manage to snag a code in a giveaway. So far, I've managed to play the mission and the strike. The mission was solid. Lots going on, some interesting tricks thrown in. The strike was also good, but I was not credit to team. I had half the kills of the other two randos I was in with, and I died a lot. Thankfully, it seems like they're no longer displaying deaths in the post-game stats, so at least I didn't have that staring me in the face. I'm hoping I do better if I try it again.

Graphics are a solid improvement over the first game. I don't know that I'll be trying more than a round of the PvP, since that's never been my thing. Other than that, there's not a lot in the beta, so I guess we'll see?