Destiny - Bungies next gen mmo

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hamlet3145

Re: Destiny - Bungies next gen mmo

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Officially just hit 294 light and it is going to be a bear to get to 300. After 300, apparently you start to get drops between 300 and 310. I practically sprinted between 200 and 280, but everything now is sloooooow going. I do a little dance when I can upgrade a main piece of my gear by one point.

Random side note: if any of you guy are aligned with the Dead Orbit faction their Hung Jury scout rifle is amazing (and I don't really like scout rifles). Extremely accurate and if you kill with a precision kill (which you are probably going to do 75%+ of the time) the bad guy explodes. Feels like I'm running around with a fast sniper rifle with 200 rounds.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Xmann wrote:I'll be there as well.

I think I'm up to around 150 light level
Hey Xmann, we'll try to get your light level up to at least 190 by doing the story missions then maybe we can do some Court of Oryx to get you boatloads of blue engrams. That should be enough to bump you up to around 210-230 by the end of tonight. That way you'll be set for doing the rest of the story and also for doing strikes and quests in the future. Recommended light level for some of this stuff is 190 so we need to get you up to at least that.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

raydude wrote:
Xmann wrote:I'll be there as well.

I think I'm up to around 150 light level
Hey Xmann, we'll try to get your light level up to at least 190 by doing the story missions then maybe we can do some Court of Oryx to get you boatloads of blue engrams. That should be enough to bump you up to around 210-230 by the end of tonight. That way you'll be set for doing the rest of the story and also for doing strikes and quests in the future. Recommended light level for some of this stuff is 190 so we need to get you up to at least that.
Great! I might try and get on earlier and do a couple quests or something.

My wife actually is happy I'm doing this on Friday evenings now as this gives her time to go out with her girlfriends for a drink and gossip.

Good trade off me thinks
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
raydude

Post by raydude »

Good idea.I suggest picking up the Vanguard bounties, all of them. Then perhaps doing a Mars patrol and killing Cabal with arc weapons (preferably without dying). The bounty kill counts stack. So for example, using today's bounties:

Invincible - 30 kills w/o dying - 2500 XP
Hand of thunder - 30 arc weapons kills - 2500 XP
Armor Breaker - defeat 50 cabal - 3000 XP

Every time you kill a Cabal with Arc the counter for all three will tick up. 5K should get you the rest of the way to level 33, 8K should get you 1/3 of the way to level 34.

I believe the kills between fireteam members count towards satisfying bounties as long as we're close to each other, so if you don't have time to do them beforehand we can knock this off real quick. Perhaps even with other folks who have to do the same or related bounties.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

So I got Destiny right when I got my PS4 quite some time ago.. I've been playing ESO though and wrapped up in that, now playing Destiny I'm not quite sure what the hell I'm supposed to do. There isn't much of a tutorial, I seem to be in a shooter game without much plot..

I keep hearing about grinding levels etc, but I'm a bit lost. Anyone have a link to a frigging "Hey newb, here's how to play destiny" guide or video tutorial? I keep shooting stuff, sometimes I get killed a lot -- otherwise there doesn't seem to be a cohesive point to this. I think maybe when I started way back when I went through some tutorial, but since I've picked it back up I'm more confused then ever.

Maybe I should start a new character? Anyways don't want to derail the thread, but clearly this game has a huge following so I'm clearly missing something.. Plus anything MMO/RPG like I'm always in for -- except I don't see anyone else at all, just me and robots shooting me in the face?
No.
raydude

Post by raydude »

It's not as grindy as it once was before the Taken King. I wrote a long post before accidentally deleting it, so I'll break it up into two parts. This first part is about your character level and light level.

With the Taken King expansion Bungie now has gone away from the 'you need to find better gear to get a higher character level' model and gone to 'you need to find better gear to survive' model.

What that means is, Bungie will happily let you gain XP all day from bounties, patrols, story, whatever. You can get up to level 40 just doing nothing but patrols day in and day out. But if you don't bring up your light level you will not be able to kill things that you should be able to kill at level 40.

Light level is the average of all your currently equipped weapons (primary, special, heavy), your ghost, and your armor (helm, gauntlet, chest, boots, class item, artifact). You can think of it as your "combat rating". If your combat rating is lower than the combat rating of your enemy then you will not do as much damage and your armor will not protect you as much. If your combat rating is more than 50 below your opponent it will be as if you are wearing a loincloth and have a straw and wadded spitballs versus a kevlar armor dude with an elephant gun.

So, whenever you find new armor, weapons, or ghost shell you should always inspect it. If it's higher than your current then wear it. For weapons, if it's a weapon type you don't like using (I don't like hand cannons for example) and it's less than 5 higher than current, then feel free to not use it. If it's 10 or more then you might want to bite the bullet and use it until something better comes along.

If it's an engram then it gets tricky. You need to decode engrams at the Cryptarch. Before you talk to him make sure you're wearing all your best stuff to get the highest light level possible. Then talk to him, decrypt 1 engram at a time, starting w/ greens. After you decrypt the one engram, hit 'option' to look at it in your character menu. If it's higher light then equip it immediately.

Then go back to the cryptarch and decrypt the next engram. Look at your character again. If it's higher, then wear it. Repeat for all greens, then all blues, then all purples, then all yellow.

The reasoning is this: the algorithm for the Cryptarch looks at your current light level and has a better than average chance of giving you something with a higher light level.

This works up till you get around level 280 then it seems like it doesn't work as often but keep doing it. It certainly will increase your chances of getting better decrypted gear.

Note that for pre-Taken King the purple gear was always the penultimate gear (highest level). Now with this system you actually will see blue gear with a higher light level than most purple gear. However the purple gear is still valuable because it will have better perks and more of them. So save your purple gear and put it in the vault and don't worry about it until you reach around 250 light level.

Once you start getting into the 250+ light level range you might want to start thinking about saving blue gear that is 250 or better. The reason is because of the new gear mechanic called "infusion". This is how you raise the light level of purple and yellow gear: http://www.primagames.com/games/destiny ... -and-armor

So that's it for now. Later when I have time I'll try to redo the rest of my deleted post.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't played in months. I'm tempted to start again but I don't own any expansions. Maybe I should just go play The Last of Us instead :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Vanilla Destiny without the expansions (especially The Taken King) is really just a limited demo at this point. I bet there will be some good sales on the additional content by Christmas.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Honestly, wouldn't waste my time with OG Destiny
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
raydude

Post by raydude »

The following guide assumes that you have The Taken King expansion, because the first part is key to being able to enjoy the game as soon as possible.

1. When you purchase The Taken King you get a one time ability to boost any character to level 25 immediately and unlock the Taken King campaign. This ability is found at your Postmaster in the Tower and is called "The Spark of Light". It only works if your character is not level 25 already.

a. Once you're at least level 25 head to the Tower and grab some bounties from the bounty bot
If you don't like PVP then just grab all the grey bounties. If you like PVP then feel free to grab them all.

b. The grey bounties correspond to things you need to do in PVE. Such as "kill 50 cabal". "kill 30 enemies w/ primary weapon". "Kill 30 enemies w/ grenades". These bounties all stack. Thus, if you kill a Cabal with a grenade then both the "kill 50 cabal" and "kill 30 enemies w/ grenades" will tick up 1 toward your required body count.

Note that the bounties not only stack, the game allows you to grab duplicates and they refresh daily. So, grabbing "kill 30 enemies" bounties over three separate days will nab you three duplicates and every kill will tick 1 in each simultaneously. So I would suggest spending a few minutes when you can on a given day to log in and grab bounties - even if you don't plan on playing that day. You can hold up to 16.

c. The grey bounties each give you XP toward the next character level but more importantly give you Reputation towards the Vanguard and towards your faction of choice. Speaking of, go ahead and choose an allegiance w/ a faction - if you haven't already. The factions you can choose between are: Dead Orbit, Future War Cult and New Monarchy. You can only choose one and can only change your mind once per week.

d. The red bounties give you XP towards the next character level and give you reputation with the Crucible and towards the faction of your choice - the same one you chose in step C. So you see, choosing one of the three will give you reputation with that faction no matter whether you do PVE or PVP.

e. Reputation gives you two things: ability to buy gear from that faction and faction packages. Well - three things, but I'll talk about the third last. The reputation you earn goes towards increasing your rank w/ a given faction. It costs 1000 reputation to get to Rank 1, 2000 to get to Rank 2, and 3000 for Ranks 3 and up. You get to buy legendary armor at Rank 2 and legendary weapons at Rank 3. All the legendary gear can be bought with 'legendary marks'. However, I do suggest your very first purchase should be a legendary ghost shell from the Vanguard (Zavala). Why? Because ghost shells rarely drop in this game, and you will most likely find that the ghost shell is one of the few pieces of gear holding your light level back. So save your legendary marks and wait until you have 75 and buy that light level 280 ghost shell. You'll be glad you did.

When you hit Rank 3 and every rank above 3 thereafter the faction will reward you with a "Faction Package" - usually some glimmer, a legendary item, and other items.

Once you hit Rank 25 with either Dead Orbit, Future War Cult, or New Monarchy, you will get to start a quest line to get a piece of exotic gear from that faction.

2. Once you have your bounties and your faction chosen go head and start the Taken King campaign. Don't worry if you haven't even finished the regular campaign yet - you can always do that later if you wish. Think of it as watching Star Wars in machete order. Only this time it's Taken King story, Dark Below Story, House of Wolves Story, then regular story. That's just my personal opinion - but I still think you should run Taken King story first - because that's your best bet towards getting you to Level 40 and 280 light. Level 40 and 280 light should be enough to let you do any group oriented non-story activity except the Raid (that's 290 at least).

a. Before you start any mission take a look at your bounties and figure out which ones you can probably work towards. If the mission deals with Cabal for example you can probably work towards "kill Cabal" bounties. If it deals with Hive you can probably work towards "kill Hive" and so on. Mark up to 4 of the bounties you think can be done. When you bring up your ghost in the mission the bounties you marked will come up as well, and show you the progress that you've made on them.

This is mostly important for the "kill X dudes without dying" bounties, as the closer you get to X the more cautious you'd want to be so that it doesn't reset.

b.Once you finish the Taken King story you should be around level 40 and somewhere around 150-190 light. Even better it opens up a whole new round of PVE content that will give you even better chances of getting blue/purple engrams with higher and higher light level gear. And what's more this PVE content will either consist of 3-man strikes or Taken War missions. The 3-man strikes are the most fun because now you and 2 other people will be working together to complete the mission. Taken War missions usually require you to go select "Patrol" on a planet and then seek out and find Taken random events, destroy the Taken Lieutenants, and then destroy the Big Boss that comes out at the end. These are also fun because now you can play with potentially 6 people if they are all in the same instance as you and also try to complete the Taken random event.

b. At light level 190 you can now start to do the Vanguard Strike playlist which is a random set of Vanguard strikes which you and 2 other people try to complete. Each strike can reward you with several blue engrams and the longer your streak (strikes that you play in a row) the more engrams you will get with each successive strike. It's not unheard of to go from light level 190 to light level 240 in the course of one evening of playing nothing but the strike playlist.

c. At light level 190- 240 you can start doing the Court of Oryx public events - where you and up to 5 other people in the same instance try to kill a big boss that you summon w/ runes.

TL;DR Finish Taken King story mission. Get light to at least 190. Play a,b, or c with friends. Which coincidentally we did last Friday night.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Post 10/2 report:

First off - my apologies to anyone who showed up and didn't get an invite. It's hard to monitor when or if friends come online and start playing Destiny. However, based on our two events now I think the following worked well:

I started a PSN party (a PSN voice chat channel) and invited folks I saw online. For the future, when you join destiny (and if you friended me) you should see a notice saying "raydudePrime has started a Party channel". If you see something like that it means "Here is a meeting place if you want to play with friends". Feel free to join that party and start talking to us.

Xmann, Covenant, gellar (from gamingtrend) and I were online. I partnered with Xmann and Covenant with gellar and both teams played through the Taken King Story. Xmann went up 3 levels and is now only 3 story missions from the end while gellar finished the story and went on to play a few strikes and Court of Oryx w/ Covenant. It was a blast listening to everyone as they played through their missions and lots of fun was had by all.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm giving this a try, but am a bit hamstrung as it's literally my first console FPS in years. I'm utterly terrible at it so far and jumping into something like this is hugely intimidating, but I'm having a bit more fun than I was expecting to.

PSN is skinypupy.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Honestly, I had a bit of trouble when I started too. The main issue is that early on your gear sucks and you don't have any good skills. It gets better and you start feeling more like a hero than some random grunt.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

b. The grey bounties correspond to things you need to do in PVE. Such as "kill 50 cabal". "kill 30 enemies w/ primary weapon". "Kill 30 enemies w/ grenades". These bounties all stack. Thus, if you kill a Cabal with a grenade then both the "kill 50 cabal" and "kill 30 enemies w/ grenades" will tick up 1 toward your required body count.

Note that the bounties not only stack, the game allows you to grab duplicates and they refresh daily. So, grabbing "kill 30 enemies" bounties over three separate days will nab you three duplicates and every kill will tick 1 in each simultaneously. So I would suggest spending a few minutes when you can on a given day to log in and grab bounties - even if you don't plan on playing that day. You can hold up to 16.
I'm having a really difficult time with this statement, seeing that I have over 2200 hrs in Destiny, from OG days, to The Dark Below, House of Wolves, and now The Taken King.

Daily Bounties refresh every day at 2am Pacific Coast time, 5am East Coast time.

If I select a "kill 50 cabal" on friday, and still have it unfinished in my set of 16 bounties I will not
be able to select it on saturday, because it will show up as highlighted as I've already selected it, and it's waiting for me to finish it. Once I finish and redeem it, I can pick it up again on saturday.

Since day one bounties have never stacked.

And to this day, they're not stacking up to 3 times for me, on any day, and not today either.

I picked up new bounties today, and there is a bounty in my collection of 16 that is available
in today's set to pick from, but I can't select it, because it's not done, and not having been completed
it can't be redeemed.

If you say they stack, then I'm going to have to find out what I'm doing wrong because
I've never been able to select them again, once I've got them in my bounties to be completed
inventory.

If you show me some official word from Bungie on bounties stacking up to 3X's, I'd like to see
that info, because I've never, and I mean NEVER....had bounties stack.
raydude

Post by raydude »

JSHAW wrote:

I'm having a really difficult time with this statement, seeing that I have over 2200 hrs in Destiny, from OG days, to The Dark Below, House of Wolves, and now The Taken King.

Daily Bounties refresh every day at 2am Pacific Coast time, 5am East Coast time.

If I select a "kill 50 cabal" on friday, and still have it unfinished in my set of 16 bounties I will not
be able to select it on saturday, because it will show up as highlighted as I've already selected it, and it's waiting for me to finish it. Once I finish and redeem it, I can pick it up again on saturday.

Since day one bounties have never stacked.
My apologies. Apparently it is a bug that looks like it is fixed since I am now seeing that it works as you say it should. I only mentioned it because I noticed I was able to do it on my character the week after The Taken King dropped. As for evidence, I submit this reddit bug tracker thread to show that it wasn't just happening to me.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

One of THE most important bits of advice I could offer new players would be this -

BEFORE you turn in your bounties, make sure that you have weapons and armor/gear
"selected" and IN their primary slots BEFORE you collect on and turn in your bounties.

This goes for your "subclass" ability as well.

If you have weapons, gear, and your subclass abilities that you're leveling up, they won't
get leveled up and gain XP once you turn in all those bounties UNLESS they are in the
primary slots, meaning the first slot you'd have enabled in order to use them when you're
on the ground fighting.

There were several times during the last year when I'd turn in bounties only to find that I'd
had some other weapon or some other piece of gear that I had active, but wasn't the one
I should have had in the first slot in order to have them leveled up by all the XP gained by
turning in 6 bounties at one time.

Now, with The Taken King, you don't have to travel to the Tower or the Reef to turn in and
collect on your bounties, you can do it right from the quests menu.

In the past year, it's been complete bounties/travel to Tower/Reef, collect bounties.

The Taken King method is better, and faster, and with more rewards given out on
collecting bounties.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm halfway to 40
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
raydude

Post by raydude »

Going back to the duplicate bounty bug I just noticed that I had the exact same crucible bounty "Defeat 1 opposing guardian with a heavy weapon" listed twice in my bounties queue. So it seems there are still some vestiges of the bug left. So don't count on getting duplicates but if it happens to you then by all means take it. It's free XP and Rep for half the work.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Xmann wrote:I'm halfway to 40
I've got 1 of each class on XBox1 - Titan, Warlock, Hunter. All were at 32 when TKK dropped.

I don't know why but I started leveling up Hunter from 32 to 40 and it took almost 2 days, but
I was playing through the entire beginning storyline, then some other quests alongside with daily bounties.

Then I started on Titan, he's at level 40 today, been stockpiling bounties and going back
to the Hunter every day. Same with Warlock, she's at level 37 with stockpiled bounties waiting.

It took me a long time to get the Hunter's new subclass unlocked, and for some reason it
took no time at all to get Titan's new subclass unlocked.

Haven't got Warlock's new subclass unlocked yet.

With Hunter I have 1 main quest to do, and that's the mission to beat Oryx solo. The first night I tried he kicked my ass twice, and I was very close to taking him down, but once the part of the mission where he zaps you to the very bright light place and it's bright white light all around, that freaked me out and I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to stay alive.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

So I've just got the original Destiny. If I want to play this now, I should pony up? Is there a version that includes all the DLC etc without the original game?
No.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

FishPants wrote:So I've just got the original Destiny. If I want to play this now, I should pony up? Is there a version that includes all the DLC etc without the original game?
The vanilla game is no longer worth playing without the expansions, most especially the taken king. You can trade in your base game for the new one with all expansions. That's the way to go.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Chrisoc13 wrote:
FishPants wrote:So I've just got the original Destiny. If I want to play this now, I should pony up? Is there a version that includes all the DLC etc without the original game?
The vanilla game is no longer worth playing without the expansions, most especially the taken king. You can trade in your base game for the new one with all expansions. That's the way to go.
I found a guy locally selling the taken king legendary edition for $50 still in shrink wrap. That's the way to go, otherwise it's $80 new up here.
No.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm hugely surprised at how much I'm enjoying Destiny. Still have done really anything on the MP front (did one of the Strikes...haven't touched Crucible, and likely won't), but I'm having a blast just running around and blowing shit up. I find the lore of the story quite interesting as well.

And this is coming from someone who actively dislikes console FPS games. This one has just enough RPG in it to keep me interested.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I picked up the Taken King last week and have been having a blast. I had played through original Destiny with a warlock when it came out, but didn't get any of the DLC and lent it to my brother in law, so I took the plunge with the Legendary Edition. I finished the original story, but I stopped advancing my warlock at level 26 with a measly ~130 light level.

This time around, I'm going with a hunter. Because I've been away awhile, I decided to play through the original story again and save the "Spark of Light" (lvl 25 auto advancement) for my Titan alt.

I never really got into multiplayer last time, but I'd love to this time if there are any OO folks that want to meet up. Unfortunately, it looks like most of you are playing on the PS4. If there are any XBONE players that want to play, give me a shout. My XBL tag is Kurth01.

And thanks for the helpful comments above (especially JSHAW and raydude). I was doing some very inefficient leveling, but your comments have helped me get my act together. My hunter is only lvl 21 with 111 light level, but I'm making solid progress every night!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm on a Taken King quest that I swear I don't know how you can do it solo. I believe it's the second to last quest.

We on for Friday evening?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
raydude

Post by raydude »

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I am out for this Friday and weekend. I may be on sporadically but that's about it. Please feel free to get online and help each other out with quests and stuff. Thing's like XMann's request and the time we helped Covenant72 w/ the Vault of Glass quest are the reason why we friend each other: to get past the hard stuff so we can get on to more killin and lootin :mrgreen:

Speaking of hard stuff - is it just me or do the Taken Champions that spawn in the public events just seem a lot harder to kill nowadays? Previously it seemed that a fireteam of 3 by itself could kill the Champion. Now it seems like you need at least 4 - maybe 5 to take one out.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

X,

I'm 95% sure I'll be on by 8:30 - 9:00 eastern and will be more than happy to help with your quest (and if that is the 2nd to last one then we might as well kill the taken king too while we are at it). :)

I'm starting to get to the point where I've done most everything I can do solo. Hopefully once we are all 280 plus we can start knocking off some of the tougher stuff that really needs a fire team.

Some things I'm looking forward to tackling:

-Completing a nightfall mission
-Slaying summoned bosses in the Court of Oryx (I've killed a couple, but need a bunch more for a quest)
-Finishing the Zavala taken war quest line (it's the hardest single player mission I've come across--the final boss is an echo of oryx with a ton of taken spawned around him and you only have a couple of minutes to kill him before poison gas kills you) :shock:
-Completing the final exotic sword quest (a "very hard" light level 300 required guest)
-And, eventually, if we can get the people together I'd love to try the raid
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

For those about to rock, or find a public event in Destiny...

Use this website - destinypublicevents.com
I use this on my ipad, while playing the game. Gives me the latest up to date info while IN the game.

I've been using it for the last year, and it's always been a great tool to use for finding the next public
event, when doing public events were rewarding players on their first daily public event with materials, strange coins, motes of light waiting for you at the post office to pick up AFTER completing your first public event of the day.

To new players, make every attempt to create one of each, 1 titan, 1 warlock, 1 hunter,
or 3 of your favorite. Doing so allows you to do a public event every day 3X's, thus
getting more rewards waiting for you at the post office AT the tower.

Another MUST HAVE resource is the DESTINY REDDIT page.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/

Check out the "useful links" tab near the top of the page.

Looking for ALL the lost "ghosts" or unclaimed golden chests? The useful links section has links to
websites and youtube pages that show you where and how to find ALL the ghosts and golden chests on all the planets.

The Destiny Reddit page is a great place for learning things about the game, and watching
people's linked youtube videos on game strategies, and other topics about the game.

Good Luck out there and have fun!
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Well, found an exotic fusion rifle last night that has now converted me from "meh" to "oh hell yes" for that special weapon category.

It's the Telesto.

It deals splash damage so if you hit even near someone they will still take damage. :D
raydude

Post by raydude »

Yeah. That's a fun gun. I used it crucible and killed two guys. The one that I was aiming at and his buddy who died from splash damage.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

So I paid for the expansions + Taken King and downloaded it.. I started a new character (Hunter) and I'm enjoying it -- but I've got a few newb questions:

1. Should I use this "Jump to Level 25" option or is it a one shot deal? Since I've never played the game much, I'm guessing I should play these levels rather then skip them so I can get the story line.
2. Whats the point of reviving dead ghosts? Found a few, not sure what I get for it?
3. I've collected some plant stuff around the planet. What purpose is it? Crafting or something? How do I do that?
4. Should I be using only what I find gear wise, or buy stuff too?
No.
raydude

Post by raydude »

FishPants wrote:So I paid for the expansions + Taken King and downloaded it.. I started a new character (Hunter) and I'm enjoying it -- but I've got a few newb questions:

1. Should I use this "Jump to Level 25" option or is it a one shot deal? Since I've never played the game much, I'm guessing I should play these levels rather then skip them so I can get the story line.
2. Whats the point of reviving dead ghosts? Found a few, not sure what I get for it?
3. I've collected some plant stuff around the planet. What purpose is it? Crafting or something? How do I do that?
For 1. the pros of using "jump to level 25" are:

a. access to the bounty system - which greatly speeds up your leveling rate
b. access to the Taken King storyline - which is the latest content and offers the most "story".

the cons are:

a. you may get confused because suddenly your destination map will explode with new locations and options to do things
b. it doesn't unlock the perks for your class, which means you'll be a level 25 w/ hardly any access to your class grenades, jumping abilities, supers, etc.

It's up to you and how adventurous you feel.

2. Not much point beyond a carrot for completionists. Dead ghosts also award you grimoire cards, which are just bragging rights for how much of the game you've explored. The grimoire cards also flesh out the game universe, but in a mysterious and confusing way. Imagine if they asked the Riddler to provide the backstory for Destiny and you'll get a good idea of what they are. You don't need to unlock your own grimoire cards at all - destiny-grimoire.info has all the cards in the destiny database so you can read to your hearts content.

3. The stuff is different on each planet. If you're just starting out I'd say to collect them if you come across them, but don't make a career out of it. The material is used to upgrade weapons and armor - but that only happens once you start finding blue and purple level gear. Previous iterations of Destiny allowed you to buy the materials but now it looks like the only way to get them is through harvesting, so definitely pick them up.

4. Gear drops often enough at the low levels now that you shouldn't need to buy any gear until you start hitting level 25 and up and start getting light levels in the 150s.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I used the token on my Titan, but still did all the story missions. They scale though, of course, were easier due to the increased skills and all rare level equipment.

In other news, last night I completed the most difficult, by far, mission for me in Destiny. It's one pretty far in the Taken War quest line where you have to go back to Phobos and kill an echo of oryx. Ended up having to use a fairly cheesy tactic of taking cover in a dead end hallway with a scout rifle and exotic sniper. Before my tactics shift I had at least 10 previous attempts (with multiple deaths each) where I tried to just run and gun. I'm also now working on the Sleeper Simulant quest line. There is a quest where you basically have to speed run the cosmodrome tower and then kill 3 boss wizards in less than four minutes. Kept dying on that one until I realized sniping was never going to work and just charged each with a good shotgun. So, my learned lesson from both of these is that if you keep dying on a mission (but have the appropriate light level) you just need to change up your strategy and likely your weapon load out.
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

FishPants wrote:So I paid for the expansions + Taken King and downloaded it.. I started a new character (Hunter) and I'm enjoying it -- but I've got a few newb questions:

1) Play through normally with your first character, then use the item for your first alt (it's one time use). Leveling without it is still really fast, and I found with the lack of skills being unlocked with the item it's really difficult without knowing what you are doing.
2) Trophies
3) Crafting later on
4) You really shouldn't have to buy anything as the drops are really good now. If you are lagging behind with one piece and there's a cheap replacement at the vendor, go for it though. Just know that you will level really fast and anything you have right now will be obsolete in short order.
raydude

Post by raydude »

I would point out that something which does not drop often are high light level ghost shells. I would suggest saving all your legendary marks to get one. It costs 65 legendary marks IIRC. You'll get legendary marks from completing certain questlines, dismantling purple weapons, and doing the daily crucible, daily heroic, and weekly heroic missions. Don't worry about doing those activities until you're around light level 240. The bottom line is - save your legendary marks. The purple ghost shell sold by the vanguard is at 280 light level and chances are that by the time you're around light level 240+ your ghost shell may be one of the lowest light level items you've got.

For now, just do the story, get bounties when you can, get materials when you can, and then read about how high level gear works and how to get it once you start noticing gear that's light level 190 and up.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Also, Fishpants, you are on PS4, right? Some of us have our PSN usernames a bit further up in the thread and I'm sure we'd be happy to help out if you end up with a tough mission.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Ok thanks for the help all. My PSN username is GarbiSmash feel free to add me, and I'll do the same next time I'm on.

Whats the point of the orbs of light you get for using a super? Right now I've got some gun of light thing that's pretty decent, and usually if I kill something with it I get an orb of light (so it says across the top of my screen).

Any other tips for a hunter? I find I often need cover to survive, and using grenade + super + assault rifle will usually get me through a fight. The only time I've died so far was I took a wrong turn down some stairs and was in a pitch black area.. As I turned my little rifle w/ flashlight on it some high level boss mob one hit me. That day I learned not to explore too far off the story line, cause shit can get ugly fast.
No.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

FishPants wrote:Ok thanks for the help all. My PSN username is GarbiSmash feel free to add me, and I'll do the same next time I'm on.

Whats the point of the orbs of light you get for using a super? Right now I've got some gun of light thing that's pretty decent, and usually if I kill something with it I get an orb of light (so it says across the top of my screen).

Any other tips for a hunter? I find I often need cover to survive, and using grenade + super + assault rifle will usually get me through a fight. The only time I've died so far was I took a wrong turn down some stairs and was in a pitch black area.. As I turned my little rifle w/ flashlight on it some high level boss mob one hit me. That day I learned not to explore too far off the story line, cause shit can get ugly fast.

The orbs of light....

Let's say you're playing with 2 friends, and it's in a strike mission and you're fighting up against the end level boss, let's say an Archon Priest.

Every time one of you pop your super ability, like golden gun or hammer of sol, the deaths that occur from the use of the super will cause orbs of light to start popping on the ground.

By you and your teammates picking them up it charges UP your super ability and you'll be able to use it quicker this way, by picking up any and ALL orbs you find on the ground.

***special note on orbs of light*** You will never see the orbs of light that you cause to spawn, you can only see other players orbs that they cause to spawn. Just the way the game is, that way you can't collect orbs you spawn, but only the orbs others cause to spawn.
raydude

Post by raydude »

JSHAW wrote: ***special note on orbs of light*** You will never see the orbs of light that you cause to spawn, you can only see other players orbs that they cause to spawn. Just the way the game is, that way you can't collect orbs you spawn, but only the orbs others cause to spawn.
It's probably that way by design. This encourages one to team up w/ others so that each person's super causes orbs to spawn so that others can use their supers - causing a super chain reaction.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I'm running into an issue, and I hope someone here can point me in the right direction. "Daily Heroic Story" missions aren't available to me for some reason. I can see them, but they are greyed out and inaccessible. My character is a level 39 Hunter with a light level around 190. I really want to start doing these Daily Heroic Story missions because my understanding is, that's the best way to get Legendary Marks. Any thoughts?

BTW, I tried to solo the Crota's End raid last night just to see how far I could get. Not far. Not far at all. I couldn't even get past the swarming thralls that overran me over and over again. Looks like soloing raids is not in my future. That really kind of sucks, too, because Bungie isn't doing matchmaking for raids, and I don't have a group to play with. Am I right that the raids are really the end game content for Destiny? If so, it's really unfortunate that I will end up finishing all the story missions but miss out on a huge piece of the game.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳