Destiny - Bungies next gen mmo

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hamlet3145

Re: Destiny - Bungies next gen mmo

Post by Hamlet3145 »

FYI to those who haven't bought it yet, I just now pre-ordered on Amazon and once I added it to my cart the price went down to $49.99 due to a "Prime Savings" discount. This price did not show on the actual game page. (And then I used my Discover card to pay for it so I'm going to be getting 5% back in points eventually). Not a bad deal.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

JSHAW wrote:JWS64 - xbox live

JWS664 - psn (got the PS4 about a month ago for all the exclusive Destiny content, free copy of Batman Arkham Knight, which I have yet to even open)

On Sept. 8th - Destiny update 2.0 goes into effect. If you want to be prepared for Sept. 15 with the release of The Taken King, update your console on the 8th.

You will no longer hear the ghost voice of Peter Dinklage, his voice and every scene his voice was in has all be redone. I've read it will take effect with update 2.0

I'm sure there will be other suprises in this update, damn exciting time to be a Destiny player.

Anyone adding me to their friends list and I'll be doing the same.
I'm not home so I can't check from the PS4.

But, is there not a Taken King Edition that only includes the expansions and not the original?

I was hoping to buy a digital copy tonight and play, but all I'm seeing looking at PSN is bundles including the original... and I don't need the original.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

JWS664 - psn (got the PS4 about a month ago for all the exclusive Destiny content, free copy of Batman Arkham Knight, which I have yet to even open)

On Sept. 8th - Destiny update 2.0 goes into effect. If you want to be prepared for Sept. 15 with the release of The Taken King, update your console on the 8th.

You will no longer hear the ghost voice of Peter Dinklage, his voice and every scene his voice was in has all be redone. I've read it will take effect with update 2.0

I'm sure there will be other suprises in this update, damn exciting time to be a Destiny player.

Sent you a PS4 friend request and it says it can't because of your user settings
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Played a bit this week. Have to say the shooting in it is still incredible. Some of my friends are grabbing the new expansion so I might also, but $40 is steep for an expansion. Sure it has lots of new content, but at that price it really needs to be basically a new game. But I might get talked into it.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Xmann wrote:

Sent you a PS4 friend request and it says it can't because of your user settings
I need to change my profile to allow friend requests. Give me a day to get it taken care of, and resubmit it to me. Thanks!
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

JSHAW wrote:
Xmann wrote:

I need to change my profile to allow friend requests. Give me a day to get it taken care of, and resubmit it to me. Thanks!
No problem, haven't been able to get back online since then
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
raydude

Post by raydude »

Xmann wrote: But, is there not a Taken King Edition that only includes the expansions and not the original?

I was hoping to buy a digital copy tonight and play, but all I'm seeing looking at PSN is bundles including the original... and I don't need the original.
Hey XMann, you probably already saw this but there is a Taken King only digital copy on the Playstation Store. $34.99, IIRC. I just bought it this past weekend. Also, sent you a friend evite. Will send one to JSHAW too.

I was able to play post 2.0 patch for a bit with my level 15 hunter. WIth all the bounties loaded up I got to level 18 in an hour's worth of playtime. I see some of the crucible bounties require fireteams. I'd be up for doing some of those if you guys want. Also read that there are now Vanguard strike streak bonuses - where you get bonus rep and increased chances of drops the longer you stay in the strike playlist without going to orbit. Wouldn't mind doing those too.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

raydude wrote:
Xmann wrote: But, is there not a Taken King Edition that only includes the expansions and not the original?

Hey XMann, you probably already saw this but there is a Taken King only digital copy on the Playstation Store. $34.99, IIRC. I just bought it this past weekend. Also, sent you a friend evite. Will send one to JSHAW too.

I was able to play post 2.0 patch for a bit with my level 15 hunter. WIth all the bounties loaded up I got to level 18 in an hour's worth of playtime. I see some of the crucible bounties require fireteams. I'd be up for doing some of those if you guys want. Also read that there are now Vanguard strike streak bonuses - where you get bonus rep and increased chances of drops the longer you stay in the strike playlist without going to orbit. Wouldn't mind doing those too.
I guess I just need everything but the original. Is there a bundle like that?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
EddieA

Post by EddieA »

Xmann wrote:
raydude wrote:
Xmann wrote: I guess I just need everything but the original. Is there a bundle like that?
I don't think so, but if you have a physical copy, you can trade it in to Gamestop and get $20 off the Taken King Legendary Edition. The Legendary Edition is $60 and includes the base game and all expansions.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

EddieA wrote:
Xmann wrote:
raydude wrote:
Xmann wrote: I guess I just need everything but the original. Is there a bundle like that?
I don't think so, but if you have a physical copy, you can trade it in to Gamestop and get $20 off the Taken King Legendary Edition. The Legendary Edition is $60 and includes the base game and all expansions.
I have a promotional copy that came with my PS4.

No biggie, it's worth it to me.

I'm also going to try and play some this weekend.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
raydude

Post by raydude »

If people are interested I was thinking of trying to get a fireteam together and doing some group gaming in Destiny. Possible options include:

A)playing vanguard strikes to get better gear. The regular one, not the heroic one. I'm at light lvl 237 so I need to find better gear, and this is one of the faster ways to do it. If we get 3 people together we can run through some strikes, and get progressively higher chances the longer we build up our streak before going to orbit.

B)doing Taken war quests to knock them out. I have the Taken Assault: Earth quest, but I wouldn't mind helping folks knock out their Taken Assault: Venus or Taken Assault: Mars quests if they help me with mine.

C)finishing step 8 of the subclass quest. This is the part of the subclass quest that requires generating orbs or killing stuff w/ your super in a strike. Hard to do if doing the strike with random people because they usually kill the things you need to satisfy your quest. We'll need mics for this one in order to coordinate who gets to kill what.

Note, if we do A we should probably try and have mics and join a Playstation party so we can coordinate C while running A.

If we end up only having two people then we can try either A or B. Doing A with two people will group us with a random person, which isn't bad. Doing B should be do-able with just two people.

I am planning to play this Friday at about 9pm EST and can probably play through midnight. I'll use the PS4-party chat so we can have comms.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

raydude wrote:If people are interested I was thinking of trying to get a fireteam together and doing some group gaming in Destiny. Possible options include:

A)playing vanguard strikes to get better gear. The regular one, not the heroic one. I'm at light lvl 237 so I need to find better gear, and this is one of the faster ways to do it. If we get 3 people together we can run through some strikes, and get progressively higher chances the longer we build up our streak before going to orbit.

B)doing Taken war quests to knock them out. I have the Taken Assault: Earth quest, but I wouldn't mind helping folks knock out their Taken Assault: Venus or Taken Assault: Mars quests if they help me with mine.

C)finishing step 8 of the subclass quest. This is the part of the subclass quest that requires generating orbs or killing stuff w/ your super in a strike. Hard to do if doing the strike with random people because they usually kill the things you need to satisfy your quest. We'll need mics for this one in order to coordinate who gets to kill what.

Note, if we do A we should probably try and have mics and join a Playstation party so we can coordinate C while running A.

If we end up only having two people then we can try either A or B. Doing A with two people will group us with a random person, which isn't bad. Doing B should be do-able with just two people.

I am planning to play this Friday at about 9pm EST and can probably play through midnight. I'll use the PS4-party chat so we can have comms.
Definitely interested. I don't know if we are friends or not on PS4, I'm xmann1102
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
raydude

Post by raydude »

Xmann wrote:
Definitely interested. I don't know if we are friends or not on PS4, I'm xmann1102
Yup, we're friends. Mine is raydudePrime. I tried friending JSHAW but he still has his "anti-friends" settings set.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

raydude wrote:
Xmann wrote:
Yup, we're friends. Mine is raydudePrime. I tried friending JSHAW but he still has his "anti-friends" settings set.
LOL, anti friends
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Hey there Destiny-ers,

I might be able to make Friday night. :horse: My character is a Titan sitting at 290 light (just hit that today). I'll try to add folks on PSN. My username there is same as here. It's funny, but as a relatively new player I still haven't even done all the different strikes yet.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Hamlet3145 wrote:Hey there Destiny-ers,

I might be able to make Friday night. :horse: My character is a Titan sitting at 290 light (just hit that today). I'll try to add folks on PSN. My username there is same as here. It's funny, but as a relatively new player I still haven't even done all the different strikes yet.
Hamlet! Just like the good old days of the Wanderers!

I've only played The Taken King once, but played the hell out of the original Destiny. Not sure what my light level is, but my character level is 26 I think.

I haven't played any of the coop stuff with any friends, so that will be fun.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

Hey all, I've got my warlock up to ~light 195 or so and will be there Friday. I don't have any of you as frinds so I will add everyone tonight. My tag is Covenant1972. Also note I have a few other people who play too and they are interested in the new Raid so if anyone else is looking to do that we can likely put a group together for it. I personally only ever ran the vault of glass one time and never the crota one; but would love to run through all of them to experience the content.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Hey guys. I might not be able to make it tomorrow. I got hit with a GI virus and it is not good. I'll see if things get better tomorrow but if not you'll know where I am.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Covenant72 wrote:Hey all, I've got my warlock up to ~light 195 or so and will be there Friday. I don't have any of you as frinds so I will add everyone tonight. My tag is Covenant1972. Also note I have a few other people who play too and they are interested in the new Raid so if anyone else is looking to do that we can likely put a group together for it. I personally only ever ran the vault of glass one time and never the crota one; but would love to run through all of them to experience the content.
Add me to your friends list Cov if we aren't already.

I've set time aside and looking forward to getting together.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Who's in for tonight?

I've put time aside starting at 9pm est tonight to game.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

I'm in.

I just want to note how much better the loot system is now. I have been running a few legacy strikes (lvl 20 stuff) for bounties and loot drops. In original destiny, I would runs trikes all night and MAYBE get an upgrade if I was lucky. Now I'm getting blue drops out the wazoo, tons of greens, and even the occasional purple. On average, I', upgrading at LEAST one piece of gear per strike run. I'm sure that will slow down as my light level gets up higher (just over 200 now) but as of now Taken King it's worlds improved over vanilla. I also see that once I hit 260 a new strike list opens up and those have guaranteed legendary drops!
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Covenant72 wrote:I'm in.

I just want to note how much better the loot system is now. I have been running a few legacy strikes (lvl 20 stuff) for bounties and loot drops. In original destiny, I would runs trikes all night and MAYBE get an upgrade if I was lucky. Now I'm getting blue drops out the wazoo, tons of greens, and even the occasional purple. On average, I', upgrading at LEAST one piece of gear per strike run. I'm sure that will slow down as my light level gets up higher (just over 200 now) but as of now Taken King it's worlds improved over vanilla. I also see that once I hit 260 a new strike list opens up and those have guaranteed legendary drops!
Sweet, really looking forward to it!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I'll be more than happy to ride shotgun (litterally) on any strikes you guys are eligible for and might like to do. I just want to shoot stuff, haha. 8-)
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Sorry guys, Destiny is on my xmann3906 account. I'll send friend requests
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
raydude

Post by raydude »

I think I'll be able to make it after all! See you guys tonight!
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Hey guys! That was a lot of fun last night. Wish Bungie would allow greater than 3 man patrol teams though.

In any case, here is some info on that sword I was smacking stuff with last night. Even though mine's not fully "evolved," it's great for taking down majors quickly, particularly if you getting swarmed by them on a strike.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame ... est_guide/
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Good times!

I played a couple hours this morning and wow, The Taken King is ridiculous good.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
raydude

Post by raydude »

Hey gang,

I have to agree, it was really fun playing with folks on Friday. I even got to play a little bit Sunday morning w/ Covenant and one of my "real-life" friends (until my daughter pulled me away). I'll throw up a 'voice chat' party whenever I'm up for playing with folks - so feel free to join the party chat if it's up. The new 'quests' system means there's almost always something to do that almost always requires more than 1 person. The "Taken War" quests in particular - the champions you need to kill will never trigger if you're the only player in the patrol zone. And I'm also up for helping people w/ their story missions and with their quest lines as well. In fact, we helped Covenant out with his quest line trying to kill a boss in the Vault of Glass mission. Missions go a lot faster when there's more than 1 person trying to manage all the enemies.

After seeing hamlet's shiny sword I just had to get my own, so I ground out hadium flakes in the Mausoleum for 1/2 hour to get the necessary materials. I'm willing to do that again w/ people too, now that I know my void hunter's "keen scout" ability lets him find chests faster.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Hey Ray,

Couple of tips on the sword quests. When you get the quest that calls for 25 sword kills in the crucible, you can just use the hilt and not try to snag the heavy ammo each time. This made it go MUCH faster for me. The hilt alone is surprisingly still powerful. I could down any opposing player in two hits. (And they always looked stunned when I charged them empty handed) :lol:

There is a quest after that were you have to kill 3 warden knights within 10 seconds of each other. It's easier than it sounds and I managed to do it on my first try. I wasn't able to lure them all into the same spot to nuke them, so I just got them all down to about 15% health, killed one with my primary weapon then quickly switched to my sniper to take out the other two.

I'm now on the mega grinding stage where I have to find 10 rare spinmetals and kill a bajillion bad guys with my arc powers. After about 2 hours last night I had 4 out of 10 and 59% of the kills done. Going to try to get the rest today. Really looking forward to the 310 light exotic sword at the end of the road eventually. Apparently it can shoot bolts too. :horse:
raydude

Post by raydude »

Yeah, I haven't started the exotic sword quest yet. I should start doing that soon. Apparently the exotic sword "special attacks" depend on the elemental type chosen for the legendary sword. Arc shoots electrified rings, solar does an uppercut, and void does a spinning void vortex. I'm glad I chose arc since that seems to be the only one that lets your sword do a ranged attack.
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

yeah this weekend was good times. I got a bunch of stuff polished off and opened up a bunch more stuff. That heroic strike list is no joke!
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

One thing that has been a bit surprising to me is that even though I've finished the main single player questline, I still keep getting new single player quests. I'm now on a stage of the "Taken War" sequence where I head to each head planet/moon to kill a taken boss (this is different from the quests where you kill taken until a champion spawns).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't played Destiny in a couple months. With me not owning any of the DLCs Im questioning if I will ever go back.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Daehawk wrote:I haven't played Destiny in a couple months. With me not owning any of the DLCs Im questioning if I will ever go back.
I'm going to say No. There is really not much replayability with vanilla Destiny.

However, if you enjoyed your time in said vanilla Destiny, I would highly recommend the Taken King. There is a ton of content there.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

Yeah I got bored with the original destiny after a few weeks and never picked up the DLC either (too much $$ for too little content). With the Taken King though, you basically get the original game, both DLCs and the new Taken King stuff (all for a reasonable $40 if you still have your old disk to trade in towards it). Together the content addition is pretty massive and endgame is looking to have actual fun long lasting stuff to occupy yourself with. You do really need friends/randos to help with the majority of that endgame content, but we have a nice selection of folks playing regularly on the PS4 right now.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

So . . . finally got the last quest in the exotic sword chain. It's a "Very Hard" strike that suggests a (surprisingly high) 300 light level. And this is the one where you have to kill the warden knight and the boss within 30 seconds of one another. Yikes.

In other news, I don't know if you guys will be playing Friday night, but unfortunately I'm not going to be around (kid free weekend for the girlfriend so we are going out and about). I should be on the Friday after though.
raydude

Post by raydude »

I'd like to declare that 10/2 will be Taken War Friday. We're going to take the war to the Taken, which means doing Taken War: <blah> quests, Court of Oryx, and even Taken war story for those of us who haven't finished the main story mission yet. Let's shoot for 8:30pm EST again and see who shows up. We'll need to split up if odd numbers show up since everything except the raid and Crucible only allows a max of 3 people in the fireteam.

Taken War: <blah> quests are pretty quick to finish and definitely go faster with a fireteam.
Court of Oryx is a blast, is a good source of engrams, and also goes pretty quickly with a fireteam.
And Taken war story missions are always a good chance for those of us with alts to take them and help our fellow guardians who are doing the Taken story for the first time.

I'll also post this on the gamingtrend site in hopes we can get more folks to join in from there as well.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'll see what the wife has planned and hopefully I can make it
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

I'll be there! I know I have Taken War quests on both earth and mars right now
Xmann

Post by Xmann »