Friday the 13th

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

SnarlQuigmire

Friday the 13th

Post by SnarlQuigmire »

Does anyone know of any kind of recent video game(s) that has to do with Friday the 13th or Jason Voorhees?I figure it's a very slim chance of there being any such game(mobile or console) besides the version made for NES eons ago.
Death from Below!
YellowKing

Re: Friday the 13th

Post by YellowKing »

There are a couple of flash games/fan-made games out there if you Google them. Have not tried any so I don't know what the quality is. Other than that, I don't think so.
SnarlQuigmire

Post by SnarlQuigmire »

Thanks a bunch,YellowKing.I haven't seen very much but didnt think there was/is a high demand for those kind of games.I'm a fan of the film series and wouldn't mind seeing a video game but I doubt it would sell.
Death from Below!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

You can wit in line with me. I'm still waiting for Dexter the videogame.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
SnarlQuigmire

Post by SnarlQuigmire »

Maybe we should pester some big name developer and publisher to make and release those games.
Death from Below!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

There are actually already a couple of Dexter videogames available for PC, iOS, and Android.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Black Lives Matter
SnarlQuigmire

Post by SnarlQuigmire »

Lol,I meant more recent than that...Although that was a great game,I had it on my NES when I was around 7 or 8,it was extremely difficult.At least to an 8 year old kid it was.

I'm looking for something for my 360 or even my laptop.

Great link,that's the first time I've seen someone actually beat Jason.
Death from Below!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess someone was listening -- new Friday the 13th game is inbound this coming October:
This will be the first official Friday the 13th licensed game to feature the hockey mask–wearing, machete-wielding psychopath since players last faced off against the infamous Jason on the NES back in 1989.

The new game, tentatively titled Friday the 13th, is in development for multiple platforms for an October 2015 release. The game’s lore will not only reference elements from the classic film franchise, but also incorporate content and themes from the upcoming Friday the 13th television series.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Original working title, that... /snark
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
SnarlQuigmire

Post by SnarlQuigmire »

Woo hoo!Thanks for the info Smoove!
Death from Below!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Asymmetrical multiplayer? Now that could be fun.

When I was a kid (early teens) we had a field across from our house in the country with waist high grass and small pine trees.

One of our favorite games was playing "Jason." One of us would put on a hockey mask and take a machete (an actual, real machete) and stalk the other kids who would have to hide in the field. It was like the world's scariest game of hide-and-seek, because crouching in that deep grass and hearing "Jason" walking nearby was utterly terrifying.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess it was delayed a bit, but footage was released yesterday. Coming to consoles and PC in Fall of 2016.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That's um pretty disturbing... :lol: Don't think this one is for the kiddies.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, it was disturbing me as well until they switched perspective to showing what it was like to play a kid at the camp. That actually looked pretty cool - the way Jason walked in looking for him, was fooled...but then realized something wasn't right. When he turned to start at the kid..that was genuinely creepy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Are we absolutely sure Jack Thompson was wrong? :shock:
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I don't think that I'm their target audience. I found that way too disturbing. I was not expecting something from Jason's perspective. I wouldn't be able to play as Jason. No thanks.
Last edited by TheMix on Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

TheMix wrote:I don't think that I'm their target audience. I found that way to disturbing. I was not expecting something from Jason's perspective. I wouldn't be able to play as Jason. No thanks.
Just play as Jason and give hugs! Back cracking hugs, but hugs none the less!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

<please god don't make a hot coffee mod please god don't make a hot coffee mod please god don't make a hot coffee mod please god don't make a hot coffee mod >
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I found it a little disturbing as well, but then I realized that I'm currently playing Far Cry: Primal and shooting cavemen in the face with arrows and have zero guilt about it.

Funny how your perceptions change depending on whether a set of pixels represents a teenage camp counselor or whether it represents a Nazi. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New trailer was just released. Fair warning - it's similar to the last video released. It's uh...pretty violent. Though I guess if you're going to be playing a game as Jason in Friday the 13th, what do you expect?
A small selection of kills designed by legendary SFX designer Tom Savini in the upcoming Friday the 13th: The Game coming to Xbox One, PS4 and PC!
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Okay, that's a bit disturbing, but awesome. I'm not sure how interested I'll be in playing Jason, but playing someone running from Jason could be a lot of fun. Is it multiplayer-only or can I play against bots/Jason-bot?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I will own this game, no matter how crappy it turns out to be.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I think this is out now.

Anyone tried it?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I assume everyone is waiting for you to buy it first. :)

I did hear that one big negative is that you can't choose to be Jason... It is very random and you might not get him for a while.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I never said when I'd buy it. :)

I believe dead by daylight also has a queuing system for picking the bad guy.

Since a lot of people will want to be Jason I'm not surprised it isn't always an option.

Edit:. Took a look at steam forums. Not great, but maybe too soon for anything but juvenile complaints.

Edit2:. Reviews are better. Lots of: Buggy launch, having a blast.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Watched a few steams/videos of people playing and 1) everyone seems to be having a great time even when losing and 2) it's got some interesting mechanics that I don't fully grasp yet so I'm not going to go into specifics. It does have leveling/progression and skill trees of a sort, so there is a meta aspect. New and less sucky counsellors and new and more uber Jasons can be unlocked as you play and accumulate "xp" through playing.

While it has a number of notable differences from Dead by Dawn, it's the same type of game, so if this sort of asymmetrical gameplay is not your thing, then Friday the 13th is unlikely to change that. If it is, then Friday the 13th is almost certainly worth a try. The developers have promised to continue working on it and improving it, so expect more content, cleaner mechanics and general improvements in the future. I believe it was a kickstarter so if they managed to get this far, when they say they are going to stay working on it I find them more believable than many developers.

If it were cheaper I'd almost certainly own it already. I'm seriously tempted even at full price. I missed out on Dead by Dawn in its early days, and getting in on the ground floor of a game like this, learning as the rest of the community is learning, can be a great experience.

If you've seen any videos, you know the deaths are extremely gruesome, so if you're not a fan of the subject matter, you should probably stay away.

Steam charts says there are around 8,000 concurrent players right now, with an all time high of about 16,000 and a daily peak of about 10,000. Whether that's enough to be sustainable for any length of time I don't know. I do know I was playing Evolve stage 2 with around 200 people online at a time, and while that wasn't ideal, it was playable, so 8-10k should be plenty for ease of getting a game going with strangers.

Communication is important so having a mic helps a bunch. Oddly, Jason seems to be in the same channel as the counsellors, so he can hear everything they are saying to each other?! I'm not sure on this but it seems weird. If it's true, there must be a reason for it. I'm new to this kind of game so it might be obvious to more experienced players. Lots of people screaming and swearing (in a good way) as they get sacrificed to Mrs. Voorhees.

Many, many people are claiming that Jason is overpowered, but let's face it, he's Jason Voorhees. It's supposed to be hard to survive when he's around. Plus I've seem people who are clearly learning the game play, and I've seen Dead by Dawn veterans play, and to me it seems like Jason is right around where he should be. A good Jason is going to wipe the floor with a pickup team of newbs, and even just 2 good counsellors can work together and get away with skilled play and a little luck.

This seems like the ideal game for the OP. Unfortunately that was in 2013. Plus it's competitive multiplayer so that might not be what he was looking for.

Oh, and the developers have promised a single player option in the future. Right now it's online with others only.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I bought it.

There is absolutely no tutorial and no way that I can see to familiarize yourself with the gameplay outside of joining a game and playing.

Expect your first few games to be frustrating, and short.

The push to talk key is T, whether you're using a controller or keyboard. This is for the PC version obviously.

edit: Literally no instructions on the mechanics of how things work. There is some text you can read about what your goals are and an overview but that's about it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I bought it for Xbox One because I have some friends who are playing.

It's a very "light" game in that your options are pretty limited no matter whether you are playing as counselors or Jason. Movement is a bit clunky, and expect a bit of frustration trying to get characters to do exactly what you want them to do. Running around can seem painfully slow at times given the size of the maps, and much of the game (on either side) is blindly running around just trying to find something - anything- to help. As a counselor I felt pretty much hopeless at all times. As Jason, I felt mostly unstoppable. This bore out in the matches we played, as the counselors never won and Jason won with 100% kills every time.

All that negativity aside, however, this game is a blast to play with friends. Impaling one of your buddies on a tree branch or listening to their shrieks of fear as you appear out of nowhere to murder them is comedy gold. I haven't laughed this hard in a multiplayer game in a long time, and we had a ball trash talking each other, finding ourselves in totally ridiculous situations, or banding together in completely futile efforts to hurt Jason in any capacity whatsoever.

It's a trifle, but it's fun IF you have friends to play with. I think I'd lose interest quickly if I was just forced into random matches.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

YellowKing wrote:I bought it for Xbox One because I have some friends who are playing.

It's a very "light" game in that your options are pretty limited no matter whether you are playing as counselors or Jason. Movement is a bit clunky, and expect a bit of frustration trying to get characters to do exactly what you want them to do. Running around can seem painfully slow at times given the size of the maps, and much of the game (on either side) is blindly running around just trying to find something - anything- to help. As a counselor I felt pretty much hopeless at all times. As Jason, I felt mostly unstoppable. This bore out in the matches we played, as the counselors never won and Jason won with 100% kills every time.

All that negativity aside, however, this game is a blast to play with friends. Impaling one of your buddies on a tree branch or listening to their shrieks of fear as you appear out of nowhere to murder them is comedy gold. I haven't laughed this hard in a multiplayer game in a long time, and we had a ball trash talking each other, finding ourselves in totally ridiculous situations, or banding together in completely futile efforts to hurt Jason in any capacity whatsoever.

It's a trifle, but it's fun IF you have friends to play with. I think I'd lose interest quickly if I was just forced into random matches.
I won't argue with anything you wrote, although I will make some comments with my own observations.

Weirdly, I find the game much more fun to watch than to play. I'd say I'm slightly disappointed with my purchase, and have been musing why this is. I wish I had some experience with Dead by Daylight so I could compare. My son recently received Dead by Daylight as a gift from someone so maybe I'll get a chance to try it out.

You can feel the game's kickstarter roots. The graphics and movement get the job done, but they just aren't up to the standards of a triple A title. I can't help but think Dead by Daylight looks better when I looked over my son's shoulder, but that was just a passing impression. As I said, movement is relatively fine. I don't like when a small rock or a waist high wooden fence stops you from moving (Jason can destroy the fence, Counsellors have to go around).

There are a couple of UI inconsistencies, where tapping A causes one thing to happen while holding A causes you to pick up the item, but in other context holding A causes something to happen, while tapping A causes you to pick up the item.

The first thing I can think of is opening/closing drawers is tap A, while picking up the item in the drawer is hold A, whereas tapping A on a beartrap will pick it up, but holding A will cause you to set the trap where you found it.

Small things, but annoying until you have the muscle memory to not screw it up. I can't count the times I've closed a drawer rather than pick up an item, or set a trap instead of picking it up.

The counsellor side is definitely at least partially luck based, as finding the items you need to escape is basically random. Of course there are steps you can take to stay alive while searching, but the searching just seems completely random.

Jason is extremely strong, but as you play you will learn that he is not unstoppable. The only issue I have with Jason is that people who can teleport right on top of you despite you taking evasive action, and grab you before you can react. That's almost an instant kill for Jason, and that sucks. Playing against anyone who hasn't mastered the art of teleportation (I haven't, it's actually kind of hard to judge your camera view to the map) means Jason can be successfully stalled and/or evaded (although it's almost impossible to completely lose a dedicated Jason).

Hiding is almost useless, and is something that needs to be addressed in future balance patching.

Remember that the game is supposed to be heavily weighted in Jason's favour, and only through numbers and luck and skill can you overcome this deficit.

An experienced Jason versus newbs is a slaughter. Experienced counsellors versus a new Jason results in half or more people escaping. The car alone can get 4 people out if people work together.

There needs to be some balancing between the jasons. Jasons that can run, or jasons that can teleport more often are much stronger than slower jasons. I tend to play slower jasons because hunting counsellors is more fun for everyone and most people pick the stronger jasons.

The balance between Jason and Counsellors shifts back and forth as game experience grows. Keep playing and you'll find that Counsellors aren't *always* an exercise in despair. I still feel your pain though.

I don't have anyone to play with, but pickup matches are still mostly fun because a LOT of people come from a place of Friday the 13th nostalgia. Lots of people talk within the context of the movies, either role playing their characters, making jokes about their characters, or making references to the movies.

I once had a completely gibberish spewing vulgarian in my game as Jason, and that sucked because I had some trouble muting him (Yet another place the ui seems to fall down, imo) but mostly it has been fun enough.

Also, it's a rare game that doesn't have at least one girl playing, which is pretty amazing considering I'm from a generation where mostly guys played video games, and only a small percentage of guys. That no one was helping filth on the woman was even better.

I like the game, it's fun, but it hasn't grabbed me like I thought it would. Playing as a Counsellor *IS* frustrating at times, and sometimes playing as Jason can be so easy that it's not fun for me or my victims.

The game needs more strategic depth imo. Even with jukes and various skills and tactics to keep yourself alive longer, it's just not enough.

I have seen 4 people just keep stunning Jason over and over again and that wasn't much fun either. Admittedly it's actually sorta/kinda hard to pull off without Jason getting his hands on you, but it still results in long periods of time where Jason is basically unable to do anything at all.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

P.S. Thanks for posting YK. I think this game deserves SOME conversation but no one seems interested. The console forum is pretty quiet which doesn't help.

If nothing else it has inspired my son and I to watch the first 4 Friday the 13ths, and we both had a great time doing so.
Glycerine

Friday the 13th

Post by Glycerine »

Great analysis as usual, YK! You are pretty much spot on with everything I wanted to say. Although I enjoy the game and do not regret the purchase, I've put it on the back burner for now until the devs release a few patches to address all the bugs and balancing issues.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I played nearly four hours last night with a buddy of mine and had an absolute blast. Some thoughts (again this is for the XB1 version):

- Matchmaking is still a bit wonky. Sometimes we'd be the only people in the lobby, but once the match started, we'd magically have a full house. Other times we'd be rolling one on one. There were some frustrating times when everyone was ready but one person, so the match wouldn't start, and I couldn't find a way to kick them.

- I have been booted out of the game on two occasions. Once when I was literally at a ready car with keys in my hand. Frustrating.

- Despite that lack of polish, when you do get into a full team, the game is a ton of fun. We played with some very good players last night that knew how to work together. As GreenGoo correctly pointed out, the game is heavily stacked towards Jason. So working together with other counselors is key. The best matches we had last night were when pairs of counselors stayed together to watch each others' backs while searching cabins, etc.

- One very useful tip we discovered last night (which seems obvious in hindsight), is fortifying doors when you enter a cabin, searching, then crawling out a window. Not only does this let other counselors know the cabin's been searched, it makes breaking in a royal pain in the ass for Jason. Jason can't go through windows, and busting down fortified doors takes forever. If you're playing Jason, breaking windows will discourage counselors from using them as they'll get cut on the glass. I rarely saw any Jasons taking advantage of this.

- Ironically some of the lengthiest matches we witnessed were the ones in which the counselors fought Jason vs running away. Running is ultimately an exercise in futility - your stamina will eventually go, you'll stumble, and it's just a matter of time before Jason warps on top of you. We witnessed some insane matches where two or more players tag-teamed him, hitting him with weapons, stunning, escaping, and using all sorts of cat and mouse tactics to keep him distracted. It's fascinating to watch really good players who know how to effectively use weapons and the environment to stall him.

The game clearly needs more work, so I'm hoping patches and DLC will continue to smooth out the rough spots. However, the more I play, the more I start to understand the strategies involved. I've actually yet to escape Jason's clutches, but that insane challenge level has only made me more determined.

Tonight should be a really good test - I've got myself and four other friends scheduled to play, so we'll see how successful we can be as a party of 5 working together.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

haven't gotten to play Jason in days.

Been insta-grabbed about 75% of my deaths.

Made Jason chase me for almost 5 minutes one time. That's basically as good as it gets without actually escaping.

meh.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

To reward the "patience" early adopters have had with the game, the devs are releasing a bunch of stuff tomorrow:

- New outfits for counselors
- 13,000 CP for every player
- Double XP next weekend
- Purple "NES" Jason
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Some tips our group has been successful with. Some may be obvious, some not so much. I know they are all things that I didn't pick up immediately, so they're worth mentioning.

- When searching a cabin, immediately fortify all doors and leave all drawers open as they are searched. This lets other teammates know that the cabin has been explored so they don't waste their time.

- As soon as we bump into each other or someone finds a map, we pair up so that nobody is traveling alone. This allows players to protect each other while searching cabins. A couple of players can be very effective in holding off Jason and stunning him long enough to escape.

- Make sure to coordinate items on maps with two cars. You don't want to fill one car up with gas and install the battery in the other one. Also be aware of remaining player count. The boat can only hold two people, but only requires two parts instead of three (like the car). No need wasting gas on a car if the boat is easier to complete. Hitting Select will bring up all objectives and their status, so don't waste time hunting for parts that have already been found.

- One common thing you will see is Jason "camping" a complete or nearly complete vehicle to catch counselors trying to finish it. Don't fall for that trap. The clock is your friend, so if Jason wants to sit in one spot and not hunt you down, that benefits you. Go focus on another escape route.

- Perks are huge. Don't forget to assign them and roll for them when you can afford it. Perks you don't want can be sold back for 100CP. I typically sell back all "Poor" and "Common" certs and only keep Uncommon, Rare, and Epic. The same perk can be assigned to multiple counselors.

- Repair electrical boxes whenever possible. Light reduces fear, which reduces stumbles and makes it easier to evade Jason. Conversely, as Jason, make sure to destroy electrical boxes whenever you can.

- This sounds somewhat silly, but don't forget that counselors have multiple outfit options. Most people just go with the default, which means you often have multiple copies of the same person running around. I always change my outfit so that I'm recognizable among all the clones.

- Every Jason has particular strengths and weaknesses. Some can run, some can't. Some can sense better than others. Learn these, so when Jason appears you know what you're up against. The introductory cutscene to every round show which Jason is spawning, so learn to identify them by sight.

- The cabin with the radio tower outside contains the radio to call Tommy Jarvis. You can call him anytime (I think a certain fear/darkness level may prevent it, but usually that's not a problem). Calling Tommy will allow a random dead player to respawn as Tommy, who has a one-time use very powerful shotgun.

I'll post more as I come up with them. The game is a ton of fun IF you can get a good group together who knows how to coordinate. It doesn't work nearly as well as a pick-up group game.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I recently played a game as Jason Part 6 after over a week of no Jason. As far as I can tell, they phoned the police before I had my second skill, which meant the police showed up around 5-6 minutes in.

I teleported to the exit, dropped a bunch of bear traps and hoped for the best. I was not prepared for what came next.

Every single counsellor in the game came running up the street, each armed with a weapon/flare gun/fire crackers/whatever. It was a literal tide of counsellors, like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

I inviso-zipped to the end of the tide and grabbed a straggler in hopes that I could kill her before I got stunned. That didn't happen so I tried to use her as a meat shield by carrying her around and pointing her at the attackers, but to no avail. I was repeatedly stunlocked while they danced around my immobile corpse. I got up and managed to grab another but I was immediately stunned again. And again.

Every single counsellor survived before the 10 minute mark. When one returned as Tommy, I teleported around looking for him. When I couldn't find him, I teleported back to the exit. During the 2 seconds I took to re-orientate myself and start to turn to look down the road, Tommy shotgunned me and I fell over. Tommy then teabagged me and ran off into the mist. I did manage to throwing dagger him twice but he just kept running. Not only did he not slow down, he didn't even get bloody.

8 survivors, zero kills.

Not my finest outing.

In retrospect I probably should have tried entering combat mode and blocking their attacks, but when you only get to play Jason once every 8 games on average, and even then rarely get challenged in melee combat (I mean, going toe to toe with Jason is kind of absurd) the opportunity to work on the skills needed in combat mode just never occurred.

So working through the humiliation of being crushed by Jason again and again in the hopes of getting my revenge when it's my turn only ended in more humiliation.

Sigh.

On the plus side I'm thinking more strategically as a counsellor and seeing some improvement.

edit: Perks are sold for a fraction of their value based on their rarity. So orange and red perks sell for more than white and green perks. Just an fyi.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I knocked off my first Jason mask last night. I didn't do anything in particular, just hit him with a machete a couple of times while in combat mode and WHACK. It came right off. Pretty cool.

The memory leak and matchmaking issues are still irritating. I REALLY hope they get those ironed out in the next day or two before double XP weekend, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd be having a lot more fun if I wasn't afraid I'd lose all my XP every match due to a crash. There were three of us last night in a party, and out of 6 or 7 matches, we only got one that had other players in it. Not much fun playing Jason vs 2 counselors, as it's almost impossible to win as a counselor. We spent most of the time just dicking around trying out cool environmental kills.

I'll be taking advantage of the double XP for sure, but after that I'm probably going to shelve it until the memory leak patch.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have not noticed a mem leak on the PC side when I play, and I don't think I've ever had it crash (I'm level 17 if that gives a rough idea of how long I've played) but I haven't been reading much about the game so it could very well suffer on the PC side but I've just been lucky.

I've also never had a pickup game with less than 5-6 players. Very rarely, some will drop out during loading or during the game itself, but honestly I'm not sure I've ever had less than 4 players in a game, and that's so rare I'm not even sure that's true. I'm not disputing YK's experiences (which are PS4 XB1 I believe?) but they do not match my own.

I've been playing random counsellor/random jason and got Jason Part 3 (the starter Jason) last night. I hadn't played him in a while but I remembered he was pretty strong.

The counsellors I was up against weren't great, but weren't complete newbs either, so it was fun. I found myself doing things to enhance the fun, like looking for environment kills long enough for victims to wiggle loose, hitting them with my axe and then letting them go instead of finishing the off.

It was a lot of fun. It didn't hurt that I managed to kill them all, except Tommy when he returned. He managed to dodge me repeatedly by driving forwards/backwards along a long stretch of straight road. I just couldn't catch up to the car. Plus I thought he was making a run for it, so I was teleporting far ahead of him in anticipation. When he just stopped and sat in the car, I had to hike it back to him. Time ran out by the time I realized what he was doing and started to alter my tactics.

I took time to increase peoples' fear by hitting the lights repeatedly, chasing people but then switching targets and so on. I hope they had a good time because I tried to make it fun.

I should note that I repeatedly tried to block while in combat mode and as far as I can tell, it never worked. I was constantly being knocked on my ass despite combat mode plus holding my arm up as if to ward off scary counsellors. I might not be doing it right.

It sure is fun to be Jason. Most of the time.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah the memory leak only affects XB1. That platform is definitely suffering more than the PS4/PC versions. Unfortunately all my friends who wanted to play were XB1 owners so I didn't have much choice.