Clash of Clans

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Clash of Clans

Post by Bakhtosh »

My buddy asked me to start playing this so his clan could get into clan wars. I'm almost done with day 2 and it's pretty neat. The build times are pretty long once you get off level 2. I've rushed to Town Hall level 4 to get my resource collection up to a level that I hope will allow me to upgrade the rest of the stuff quicker. I dropped $10 on gems to get the 3rd builder (probably all I'll spend for a long time, but it seems fun enough to give them $10 for).

I've started my defenses, and will be concentrating on upgrading walls and hopefully my mortar before my shield runs out.

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Re: Clash of Clans

Post by Bakhtosh »

Well, so far, so good. I was going into this planning to farm, but have been winning trophies left and right. I've 3-starred 7 of my 10 raids, won another with 2 stars and achieved my looting objective on another. I've won all 9 of the attacks against me, losing less than 3k resources, total, and never losing my town hall. I'm sure it's only a matter of time, but I'm enjoying myself so far.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I've been playing for about 2 months without paying anything. I'm not sure if I get it, but I enjoy building my town. I haven't joined a Clan though - that may be where the big draw is.

Yeah, at the beginning, you seem to be well set up. Later you'll hit a point where you'll get whalloped every time. Shields are your friend. :) You can still progress, it will just take more time as you can earn more than you lose even if you lose 100% of your town (assuming you prioritize upgrading your resource gathering).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

I've been playing for about 6 months now. The game gets really fun when you join a good, active, and friendly clan. We have wars twice a week and they are really fun.

The game is designed to get to you spend real money. I play it with my two boys and we have spent money to get the 4th builders but that is pretty much it. It takes days to upgrade some items later on. But there is always something to do while you wait. Going on raids for loot is really fun. I encourage you guys to join a clan. Don't be put off if you happen to join a bad one...there are lots of good ones out there. Just keep looking till you find one.
Now Playing:
XCOM, Huge backlog in the wings thanks a lot Steam!
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Some tips from my experience.

- no need to make an expensive army for raids. Just use goblins and barbarians (with a few wallbreakers to get them into the walls) and or archers. go for the loot, don't worry about trophies
- consider keeping your Town Hall outside your walls. That way some people who are looking for trophies will destroy it, activating your shield. Don't worry about the few trophies you will lose, you can easily get them back.
- Try to resist upgrading your town hall at the first opportunity, upgrade what you have at your current level first. get all the research and new buildings you can and only then upgrade your TH.
- watch how other people attack you...you will learn alot about defense, offense, troops, etc...
- read all the info boxes for troops and buildings, there is a lot of important info here....ie...goblins do 4x damage to elixer and gold buildings
- there is lots of info on the internet if you want to look at base layouts, raid armies, strategies, etc...
Now Playing:
XCOM, Huge backlog in the wings thanks a lot Steam!
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I left my iPad at home today and can't post a recent screen cap.
It's been 5 weeks since I started.
I recently upgraded to TH6. I have my 4th builder after getting the 450 gem bonus for hitting 1250 trophies.

My clan has fought in one war/week. We won 2 and lost 2.
I have both of my daughters interested and they have accounts and have joined our clan. I do most of the heavy lifting on their accounts, but I'm hoping to teach them some strategy and get them thinking about things like that. They have strict orders to not even venture into the Global chat *shudder*. I've seen more signs of intelligence in a bowl of Froot Loops.

I've been upgrading everything except resource collectors to their max before upgrading my Town Hall. I like reading about base design strategy and how to influence behavior of the invaders.

My favorite army right now is a bunch of giants with a couple of healers, healing spells, a handful of archers and goblins with a couple of wall breakers. I find another base with the air defense exposed, kite their clan castle troops, send the giants to the air defense - supporting them with healing spells. Once that's gone, I can send in the healers and hopefully a dragon from my clan castle. Archers and goblins take out the perimeter and resource buildings.

It works well as long as I don't wait too long to drop the healing spell or get my giants funneled into a series of spring traps. Always look for targets of opportunity when the town has previously been destroyed, and their collectors are full and under-defended. Then you put in a few giants to draw fire, drop the archers and goblins to harvest the collectors, and surrender the trophies to take the resources.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Here's my base
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Still playing almost daily.
I'm TH7 now and still upgrading my defenses. I have rage spells and Level 4 barbs, archers, and giants. Dragon barracks are building. Dark Elixer is being collected for the King.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Love their animated ads. Hoooog rider!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Yeah, my girls rewatch them occasionally. They like the Wizard's hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c18tB_vH9D8
naednek

Post by naednek »

I play that and DomiNations. It's made by Bryan Reynolds (Civ Fame) it's like Clash, but a lot better with way more options. Coolest parts is the troops you send off to battle, come back.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sometimes over the years I've thought Brian was the talent behind Sid.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

naednek wrote:I play that and DomiNations. It's made by Bryan Reynolds (Civ Fame) it's like Clash, but a lot better with way more options. Coolest parts is the troops you send off to battle, come back.
Dominations is really good. It's the first one of these that has me coming back regularly.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Booby ads ..sometimes it makes you wonder what they are selling or how many leave when they see the actual game.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I still have nightmares about Travian from when I played it for a couple of seasons about 7 years ago. No way I'm doing that to myself again :grund:
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Hmmmmm an opportunity to beat the crap out of naednek a Giants fan in a game..........hmmmmmmmmmm.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

After installing every possible item and doing all the upgrades at Town Hall level five I just upgraded to Town Hall level six. Time for another round of upgrades and new goodies.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Without spending any money on this game I just earned enough gems to get my 4th Builder. That should speed up my level 6 upgrades.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Major update hit today reworking spells and adding dark elixer spells, revising AI for when troops attack walls, adding a level for dragons, and various enhancements to the interface.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I like the interface changes. If I actually battled anyone, I'd probably upgrade to loving them.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

gilraen wrote:I still have nightmares about Travian from when I played it for a couple of seasons about 7 years ago. No way I'm doing that to myself again :grund:
Ahh Travian. And before that it was Utopia. Are these new games basically the descendants of those?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I hope you're taking advantage of the promo to double your resource ouput for 1 gem per mine/drill for 7 days.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Those boosts made a ton of difference! Going back to the slow build is kind of painful.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

New Optional Update available today to improve troop selection sensitivity in battle.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Enlarge Image

My new TH8 layout. It's pretty good, but I will,probably tweak it to bring a storage or two inside the center part once I stock back up.

Working on walls and finishing my lab upgrades. barb King is maxxed. So are all defenses except last level of air sweeper.
Last edited by Bakhtosh on Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Bigimg tags are your friend!! :)

If you don't mind me asking, how much have you spent on the game? You're way further along than I am even though you started after me. But then, I'm cheap. :D
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Sorry...bigimg'd now. Thought I had at the time.

When I first started, I put $10 into gems to boost collectors and get my builders up to 4. Haven't put anything else into it other than time.
I'm in a pretty active clan. We donate to each other for raids and defense, not just war.

It helps if you can take an evening and focus on raiding. Boost a barracks, hero, and spells, then get someone else to keep pumping archers or barbs to your castle while you return the favor. With a quick-build raid army (barbs, archers, goblins), and a bit of luck, you can haul in a lot of resources in an evening. It pays off to do this when you're close to hitting a big build, like upgrading an Air Defense. If it's 2.6 million gold, and you're at 1.6, you focus on gold raids for the night and try to hit 2.6 before you log out. Once you start the build, that gold can't be stolen.

Also, when you're not very active, make sure you collect before your shield runs out so you don't lose everything you've collected the last 12 hours.

I think gems are best spent boosting buildings rather than rushing builds.

Our clan just hit perk level 5, so all donated troops gain a level.

I also completed all of the goblin maps. They upped their resource payouts a while back, so it was worth it to go back and replay some levels. The higher end ones give you a lot of resources. That helped a lot. There are youtube playthroughs on how to beat them. I would type in the name of the map and the word "minimal" to watch how other people beat it with the least cost troops possible.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I am halfway through my TH8 upgrades and installations. No money spent, but I am very active making sure I always have builders working and maximizing my resources. I have yet to join a clan.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Moliere wrote:I am halfway through my TH8 upgrades and installations. No money spent, but I am very active making sure I always have builders working and maximizing my resources. I have yet to join a clan.
I can tell you one thing about TH8. Do not move to TH9 until you have upgraded absolutely everything you can upgrade for TH8, all buildings, barracks, storage, defenses (not traps) and all troops. Also your walls should be Pink or, preferably, black. I learned this the very hard way. TH9 is a killer. I should have stayed TH8 for a lot longer than I did.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Cortilian wrote:
Moliere wrote:I am halfway through my TH8 upgrades and installations. No money spent, but I am very active making sure I always have builders working and maximizing my resources. I have yet to join a clan.
I can tell you one thing about TH8. Do not move to TH9 until you have upgraded absolutely everything you can upgrade for TH8, all buildings, barracks, storage, defenses (not traps) and all troops. Also your walls should be Pink or, preferably, black. I learned this the very hard way. TH9 is a killer. I should have stayed TH8 for a lot longer than I did.
I currently have all purple walls. I don't know if I will have the patience to upgrade to black given each block costs $500k.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Same here. I'm trying to get a few black walls going before upgrading to TH9.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

If you still have items you can spend elixir on to upgrade (troops, etc) then stay TH8. If all your possible troops have been maxxed then move to TH9.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Enlarge Image

My clan recommends having a lot of black walls before upgrading TH. The loot gets hard to come by at TH9.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Is there a way to do a screenshot from my android phone?
naednek

Post by naednek »

yes, but without knowing what you phone you have i can't help :) on the galaxy s5 it's the home button plus the power button
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Any thoughts on the new patch? The official boards are melting.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Cortilian wrote:Any thoughts on the new patch? The official boards are melting.
Not a fan. It forces people to raid more and I lose the ability to leave my Town Hall out in the open. Also the TH holds more so I lose more when it's attacked.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Yesterday I started the 10 day upgrade to TH9. I have every building installed and fully upgraded. I have every army guy fully upgraded except the rock guy and Valkyrie since I never use them. I have all my walls at the purple level 7. It would take me 6-9 months to upgrade them to the black level 8.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, I'm not sure why I keep playing, but I do. It kills time, I guess.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I made the jump to TH9 a while back. It helps to be in a good clan - you get donations to help defend, and wars can pay off big...as long as you win.

Upgrades at 9 cost a ton, and it's tough to save up enough to make them.

I'm surprised you don't use the Golems. GoWiPe (Golems, Wizards, & Pekkas) is a major attack strategy, especially in war.

I had enough saved up to immediately start my first xbow and add in the new defenses. The second xbow was started very quickly. You need the additional firepower. I would recommend upgrading the spell factory first, and holding off on upgrading the laboratory for a while. I didn't have enough elixer to start upgrading any troops at TH9 for weeks, so my shiny new lab just sat there unused. I'd say spend that elixer getting your army camps upgraded, then at least one level added to your DE pumps. That said, Level 6 giants are a big help, and might be the only reason you'd want to get a jump on the upgrades.