[iPhone] Undercroft old school RPG - fantastic

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

[iPhone] Undercroft old school RPG - fantastic

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holy shit how did I miss this one.

Not even a PC based game has grabbed me like this one in a long time, and this one is iPhone only, not even iPad compatible!
Amazing...whenever I finish this game, I am going looking for whatever else this company made and buy it.

Old school, Wizardry-esque party based RPG, with old school but nice graphics, lots of loot, and nice skill trees. Surprisingly addictive.

Some tips:
1. Summoners, IMO, are not that great. I played with one for a long time, then started over and got a priest instead, which worked out much better.
2. Highly recommend the NORMAL setting, not easy.
3. Not sure if dexterity helps with spell damage or not, but I am wishing the game mechanics allowed for better ranged + melee switching. Currently using an assassin for archer duty, but given her particular set of skills (unarmed, specifically), that has been a bit of a pain wrt switching and whatnot.

I HIGHLY recommend checking out this game if you haven't, if you even remotely enjoyed anything in the Wizardy/Might and Magic/Eye of the Beholder genre.
Cortilian

Re: [iPhone] Undercroft old school RPG - fantastic

Post by Cortilian »

This is pretty good. Only made it to the second area so far but feels very EoTBish.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm almost at the end, and I have to recant my previous comment about the Summoner. I will spoiler this out of an abundance of caution, but I only mention loot drops, so IMO, not very spoilerish - more like - hints if you want an easier time of it at the difficult later stages:
Spoiler:
There is an overabundance of kick ass Summoner specific loot you find at the later stages. Stuff that would probably make the game at this stage a little less frustrating (I am dying a LOT). I guess that explains the crappy start I had with the class...now that I see that the designers decided to make up for that crappiness with TONS of great Summoner loot
FWIW I am about to finish with:
Fighter (hint: you want to get him a 2 handed sword ASAP if you can afford it/find one)
Mage
Priest
Assassin

I found out about halfway through the game that those level up points COULD ALSO BE USED TO INCREASE YOUR STATS, not just skills! What a boob! No wonder it was old school hard!

Also, you REALLY need to specialize on skills, like I am thinking focus on 3 at most for most classes. And definitely only pick one weapon specialization.

I had to restart because I was all over the place, and it literally became unplayable due to difficulty.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I just bought my first iOs device - an ipod 4th gen for $125 on ebay.
Undercroft now installed. May have some impressions soon.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Excellent. Looking forward to them. Still haven't finished and I am around 32 hours in. Last 'area' though so it's coming soon. Probably 40 hr game.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I'm in the next to last chapter - the ruined cloister - and I've painted myself into a corner, and not able to finish the game without a complete restart. Perhaps if there had been more save slots...
Even with this happening, this game is SO GOOD it's almost worth restarting.

And to avoid what happened to me:
1) skill builds need to be very focused - only 1 weapon profiency and 3 learned skills for each
2) in the ruined cloister you are forced to kill the only trader (monk) - so be sure buy a zillion potions from him BEFORE you complete his quest.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.