PS4 - Bloodborne

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Buatha

PS4 - Bloodborne

Post by Buatha »

I'm surprised no one has posted impressions about this game yet:

Gamespot Review

I've purchased the game, but due to my kid's school project last night and a work function tonight, I can't play until tomorrow evening :(
"Some people say never...I just say no"
hitbyambulance

Re: PS4 - Bloodborne

Post by hitbyambulance »

i would get this if i had a PS4. or if it came out for the personal computer.
e1123

Post by e1123 »

Have it, but haven't gotten much of a chance to play it. I think I prefer the medieval theme of the souls games more.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I have it and it is darn near perfection if you're into challenging action games. It blows the previous souls games away.
FTE
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hitbyambulance wrote:i would get this if i had a PS4. or if it came out for the personal computer.
Ditto. I'm hoping it eventually ends up on PC.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

AWS260 wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:i would get this if i had a PS4. or if it came out for the personal computer.
Ditto. I'm hoping it eventually ends up on PC.
I wouldn't count on it, the game was co-developed by Sony Studios Japan. So I doubt they'll let it hit the PC.
FTE
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I want this badly but I don't have the cash to buy a ps4 and it doesn't look like I will anytime soon. Washer broke and needs to be replaced. :(
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

I've read that the difficulty level can be frustrating in the game, with repetitive dieing/replaying until you figure out a specific way of doing things. Can anyone confirm it's over the top difficulty wise (i.e. not casual gamer friendly)?
No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's made by the people that made the Dark/Demon Souls games. They are the antithesis of casual.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

FishPants wrote:I've read that the difficulty level can be frustrating in the game, with repetitive dieing/replaying until you figure out a specific way of doing things. Can anyone confirm it's over the top difficulty wise (i.e. not casual gamer friendly)?
You just described the entire point of the game. These games aren't really about experiencing a story or moving from one filler encounter to another. They're about game mechanic mastery. Dying just means you haven't mastered the mechanics needed to get past a particular encounter, and the joy of the game comes from mastering them.
Insert witty comment here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive only watched it played. I tried Dark Souls. I died all the time and didn't get into it. I didn't give it a chance though since I had a lot on my plate and still intend to return one day for a true try at it. It seemed a fun prospect with effort. Bloodborne looks to be a great time from what Ive seen of Sir_MeowFace play it on Twitch. He loves the entire series and has explained a lot about it to me as he plays.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

That linked review in the first post answered the question I was coming here to pose, basically about how much of Those That Came Before it was like. So... co-op, ghosts of other players, messages, invasion (my least favorite feature) but is there anything like the black / white 'world tendency' of Demon's Souls? I'm also wondering how long they'll keep the servers up as I'm trying very hard to not buy new games right now, so thinking this would more of a later than a sooner for me. :|
-mf
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

TiLT wrote:
FishPants wrote:I've read that the difficulty level can be frustrating in the game, with repetitive dieing/replaying until you figure out a specific way of doing things. Can anyone confirm it's over the top difficulty wise (i.e. not casual gamer friendly)?
You just described the entire point of the game. These games aren't really about experiencing a story or moving from one filler encounter to another. They're about game mechanic mastery. Dying just means you haven't mastered the mechanics needed to get past a particular encounter, and the joy of the game comes from mastering them.
It is the hardest game I have ever played. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it took me the better part of 6 hours (maybe longer) to be good enough to kill the first boss (it actually probably took me 4 hours to open the first major shortcut route). I was not a fan of Dark Souls 2, because it seemed impenetrable and the world layout made no sense to me. Bloodborne is better and I am digging it despite the brutal difficulty.

But I also like the Monster Hunter series, so games where you face insurmountable odds to learn enemy move patterns and combo attacks, dodges, and attack timing appeal to me. That being said, Bloodborne makes Monster Hunter seem like a child's game in difficulty.
Zinfan

Post by Zinfan »

I'm at the 4th or 5th boss and loving the game. Most similar to Dark Souls in how the world works, there is no world tendency aka Demon Souls. I didn't get into DS2 all that much but Bloodborne has grabbed hold of me. There is such a feeling of tension when you are exploring new areas and you are holding lots of echos (just like souls in DS). At one point I died while holding over 40k echos while trying to kill that one last mob to get the glowing item and I was shocked at my recklessness. I did manage to carefully get back to the area and retrieve my echos but it was a white knuckle ride. So far I think the boss design in Dark Souls was better but I have a long way to go yet. No invasions so far and I really didn't like that aspect of the Souls games.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Love this game. I'm finding it not as difficult as Dark Souls, which is a good thing of course. It is extremely similar to Dark Souls but the weapon selection is much different. I like the guns and transformations of the right handed weapons. There are a lot of secrets, finding them are awesome and very rewarding to survival. Secrets are not difficult to find, if you go slow and explore. Rushing in this game is not an option.

I hit a point around hour 6 where the combat clicked and the first area of the game became easy.

Ten hours in, I highly recommend it.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I really need to find some money. Not having a PS4 is starting to get really old. Between this and the MLB game I'm a sad panda.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

therocksal

Post by therocksal »

I hated Demon Souls but bought Dark Souls 1 a few weeks ago and enjoyed it so i just bought a PS4 and Bloodbourne and really enjoying it except when I lose 24,000 blood echoes and need to quit the game for the night without getting a chance to get them back.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

therocksal wrote:I hated Demon Souls but bought Dark Souls 1 a few weeks ago and enjoyed it so i just bought a PS4 and Bloodbourne and really enjoying it except when I lose 24,000 blood echoes and need to quit the game for the night without getting a chance to get them back.
Just put the PS4 into sleep mode. Don't quit the game prior to doing so and you will be back in your game at the exact same spot within 10 seconds of turning the PS4 on. Problem solved.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Scraper wrote:
therocksal wrote:I hated Demon Souls but bought Dark Souls 1 a few weeks ago and enjoyed it so i just bought a PS4 and Bloodbourne and really enjoying it except when I lose 24,000 blood echoes and need to quit the game for the night without getting a chance to get them back.
Just put the PS4 into sleep mode. Don't quit the game prior to doing so and you will be back in your game at the exact same spot within 10 seconds of turning the PS4 on. Problem solved.
Oh and if you're a real poster welcome to OO.
FTE
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

Picked this up after becoming obsessed watching streams on Twitch.

Loving it so far - started last night- but I'm dying all the freaking time. I haven't even made it to the first boss w/o dying yet. I've managed to kill everyone around the first bonfire in the street and then proceeded to die to the beast beating on the gate past the bonfire... sigh. Now I don't have any blood vials left and hardly any are dropping. Obviously I've not mastered the basic mechanics of the game since I can't kill the 'normal' mobs, let alone mini-bosses.

Any advice on getting solo mobs pulled rather than 3-4 at a time? That's what kills me - getting mobbed.
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Crabbs wrote:Any advice on getting solo mobs pulled rather than 3-4 at a time? That's what kills me - getting mobbed.
Pebbles. Get some pebbles and throw one at the trailing bad guy. Rinse/Repeat.

The opening level is harder than DS1's opening, in my opinion (and waaaay harder than DS2). It's designed as a tutorial level, essentially, though in classic FROM Software style, they don't bother telling you that.
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

Inverarity wrote:
Crabbs wrote:Any advice on getting solo mobs pulled rather than 3-4 at a time? That's what kills me - getting mobbed.
Pebbles. Get some pebbles and throw one at the trailing bad guy. Rinse/Repeat.

The opening level is harder than DS1's opening, in my opinion (and waaaay harder than DS2). It's designed as a tutorial level, essentially, though in classic FROM Software style, they don't bother telling you that.
Thanks for the tip, worked really well. I was finally able to open the first shortcut and actually clear all the way down the street through to shortcut a couple times to collect Echos and even level up (after getting the Cleric to 1/2 health). Starting to figure it out and feeling a bit more confident with the first set of Mobs - only to promptly get smoked by the 2 hounds on the bridge, lol
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Glycerine

PS4 - Bloodborne

Post by Glycerine »

Werewolves on the bridge can be avoided entirely when you are first starting out. I found at that low level even one by itself was deadly, two was plain suicide.

Nearing the end myself, only three bosses left outside of Chalices. Just hit 81 with an Arcane build, if I play again I think I will go Skill/Bloodtinge. Arcane is pretty powerful though, especially with the right gear.
Glycerine

PS4 - Bloodborne

Post by Glycerine »

Finally finished, level 105, only need one more trophy for platinum.

- SPOILER -

Spoiler:
Gehrman was reasonably hard, took several attempts to learn his patterns. Moon Presence was a push over, I only had three blood vials and still won easily. The trophy I have left is of course for the final Chalice boss. I'm only on depth 4, so a little ways to go on that one. The Defiled Chalice where you have half health looks particularly nasty. Not sure if I have the patience to make it through that one.
Last edited by Glycerine on Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Not really how one does a spoiler...
-mf
Glycerine

Post by Glycerine »

Fixed, wasn't sure how to do it since I rarely post. I guess my assumption was if you see SPOILER you'd probably stop reading at that point, but whatever.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Glycerine wrote:Fixed, wasn't sure how to do it since I rarely post. I guess my assumption was if you see SPOILER you'd probably stop reading at that point, but whatever.
I'm about to spoil the secret animal of the game, so don't read beyond this sentence if you want to enjoy the surprise yourself.

ELEPHANTS! ELEPHANTS! ELEPHANTS! ELEPHANTS! ELEPHANTS! ELEPHANTS!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

wonderpug wrote:
Glycerine wrote:Fixed, wasn't sure how to do it since I rarely post. I guess my assumption was if you see SPOILER you'd probably stop reading at that point, but whatever.
I'm about to spoil the secret animal of the game, so don't read beyond this sentence if you want to enjoy the surprise yourself.

ELEPHANTS! ELEPHANTS! ELEPHANTS! ELEPHANTS! ELEPHANTS! ELEPHANTS!
Damn you! :P

Those old school style spoilers used to be just fine when you could add enough white space such that one could stop scrolling when you knew there was spoiler text coming, say in an email or a usenet post or something. Here, where it's all right there on the large screen the moment one pops in it's not really possible to 'stop reading'. As you said - but whatever, all good now and it really wasn't all that much of a spoiler. Not like Wonderpug, FFS. LOL

And apologies, I should given you an example of the spoiler tags.
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Witcher 3 is coming out next week...but I fully suspect I'll still be addicted to Bloodborne. Damn it, this series is like crack cocaine.

I'm finally at the point where I've leveled up enough to take on some bosses on my own. There's nothing like seeing Prey Slaughtered floating on my screen after a hard fought battle with some grotesque monstrosity. :D
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Got a ps4 and this yesterday. God I love this series. I loves sword and board so this is a bit of a departure for me. Still toiling around in the first area. Certainly has the Dark souls feel to it.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

update: I was wrong. Witcher 3 stole Bloodborne's thunder for me. :(
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I got this for $20 this weekend. Tried it yesterday for an hour or two (after a 9.5 GB patch???!!!). I am really terrible at this game but it doesn't help that the game doesn't give you some very basic instructions. For example, I can't for the life of me figure out how to place my pebbles and Molotov cocktails in the item slot. Every time I want to use one I have to go to the menu, select it in my inventory, and then click use. Clearly, that is not how I should be doing it....
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What Bloodborne might look like in Unreal Engine 4

LINK
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm very tempted to pick it up that price ($16 after GCU discount), but I'm also scairt. I enjoyed Dark Souls 2, but I never came close to finishing it. I'm afraid this would be another one that I'd play for two hours then give up on out of frustration.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I bought Bloodborne for $20 with the same hesitations. Unfortunately my fears were born(e) out; I frustrated enough in the first two hours to put it away. I'm sure if I continued with it I would find that it starts clicking, but I couldn't ever motivate myself to try again.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Thanks for the warning. I think that's good enough for me to save the money.

I just went through a giant game purge - no need to fill my backlog back up with stuff I won't play.
e1123

Post by e1123 »

It's more difficult than DS II, but it's a better game too. Very creative and darker than anything since Demon's Souls. It can be frustrating, though. Blood-starved Beast, I'm looking at you!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I bought Bloodborne for $20 with the same hesitations. Unfortunately my fears were born(e) out; I frustrated enough in the first two hours to put it away. I'm sure if I continued with it I would find that it starts clicking, but I couldn't ever motivate myself to try again.
I died for about 4 hours yesterday. I couldn't even find a boss to die to. I'm learning and can't wait to die some more.

I think I beat 1 boss in Dark Souls 1.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I bought Bloodborne for $20 with the same hesitations. Unfortunately my fears were born(e) out; I frustrated enough in the first two hours to put it away. I'm sure if I continued with it I would find that it starts clicking, but I couldn't ever motivate myself to try again.
I died for about 4 hours yesterday. I couldn't even find a boss to die to. I'm learning and can't wait to die some more.

I think I beat 1 boss in Dark Souls 1.
The 1st boss is on the bridge. There's a fairly quick shortcut from the first lantern once you unlock it.
FTE