[iOS] Fallout Shelter

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

[iOS] Fallout Shelter

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If you haven't tried it yet, I recommend it so far (if you like casual mobile games). Great concept based around a fallout vault but using the visual style of the toons from the PipBoy.

Unless I am missing something, though, it definitely needs more goals, or more specifically A goal. Are we trying to all eventually get out of the vault? I don't mind the grinding if there is an eventual (grand) result from it all. Just upgrading rooms and a bigger vault is not doing it for me currently.
wonderpug

Re: [iOS] Fallout Shelter

Post by wonderpug »

I had fun with this for a while -- I find myself in the mood for these sort of click'n'wait timer games every few months -- but while the game is very polished and well done, it's a bit too needy for me.

With games like Tiny Tower or Mega Mall Story or whatever, I'm encouraged and rewarded for checking into the game often, but I'm not punished for times I ignore the game (other than having less progress). With Fallout Shelter though, I feel like I have to constantly be checking in like it's a needy virtual pet, or else I'll log in to find everyone dead and on fire.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, graphically this game is amazing. Kills your battery of course.

If they added more ...crack to it, to make me want to see what's next like so many of these games do, I would be more interested. As it is, even your peeps leveling up does nothing but give you a few bottle caps. Meh.

There is the potential for an amazing casual game here though if they flesh it out a little more (which I assume they will continue to do).
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So I am about to delete this after playing for a few days, and I have to say I am a bit disappointed.

This game could have been awesome, and the obvious care and expense they took in getting the art and design SO right, makes the fact that it's just not real FUN even more of a shame. Plenty of casual mobile games that are truly fun, and they merely had to look around at some of the best out there and incorporate some of those elements.

Recent Forbes article take on it, which I think sums it up fairly well:

"It just feels like there’s another half missing to the game. I think if the Vault part worked as is, but there was some sort of wasteland exploring mini-game as well, this would solve a lot of these problems. But right now, “actively” playing the game means you just sit and stare and watch as your explorer’s text-based adventures unfold, and back at home you click glowing green icons to dump resources into storage. There just isn’t anything to it once you get past the initial coolness of the concept and signature Fallout art style.

It’s kind of sad that a company as creative as Bethesda who makes such expansive, rich games like Fallout can’t come up with anything deeper than this for mobile."

Having said all that, I DO still recommend it for anyone that is a fan of Fallout, just for the graphics and first interesting hour of the game alone. It really is visually extremely impressive.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I deleted this as well after about an hour. I was really excited because the theming was fantastic, but I soon realized there wasn't much game there.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not bad for a free game.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Got my first shelter to 200 Dwellers and started a second.

It's okay. I sent them a few bucks, to encourage development of more games like it. It doesn't have much replay value. There's no end-game...no goal to shoot for. I'm hoping they improve it.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

-mf
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Yeah, it doesn't have legs unless they beef it up.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Ideally, the end game should be that once you've gathered enough people, a vault experiment starts up and you have to manage that. But that actually takes effort compared to the farmville in a vault system they have now.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Android version is coming in August
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Downloaded today for Android.

Some brief questions

#1. My power, water, food is turning red in the progress bar. I'm putting the appropriate characters in the right areas, but still have red. What am I doing wrong?

#2. How do I increase my dwellers? I've had a couple kids and I've made a few rooms. However, I'm not seeing more dwellers show up. How do I get more to show up?

#3. Do I have to micromanage and log in regularly to manage progress and watch my dwellers who are out exploring?

#4. Other than arming my dwellers with clothing and equipment, how do I protect against raiders?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Xmann wrote:Downloaded today for Android.

Some brief questions

#1. My power, water, food is turning red in the progress bar. I'm putting the appropriate characters in the right areas, but still have red. What am I doing wrong?
You should build a 3 wide EVERYthing (so they combine into one big room) if you haven't already, with the exception of some training rooms, IMO. Especially the water, electricity and food rooms.
#2. How do I increase my dwellers? I've had a couple kids and I've made a few rooms. However, I'm not seeing more dwellers show up. How do I get more to show up?
Lots and lots of humping. This is by far the most efficient way. The other way involves setting up a radio station fully maxxed, with really hi charisma (which is hard to level up). I found that last way VERY "cost" inefficient.
#3. Do I have to micromanage and log in regularly to manage progress and watch my dwellers who are out exploring?
not if you have equipped them well, and they have high endurance. You want your luckiest bastards out there for sure. The only reason to check in on them IMO is when it's early stages of the game and your peeps probably don't have really high endurance (either through equipment or training). Then they could die, and be "wasting" time in collecting loot before you notice they have died in the wilderness (and need to be resurrected).
#4. Other than arming my dwellers with clothing and equipment, how do I protect against raiders?
Always leave someone with your best gun in the vault entrance room. I also would put my second best gun in the NEXT room, because they would usually at least get past. But leaving that person up front will at least buy you enough time to get others that are well armed, closer to the entrance (it's a good idea to have your best equipped people that aren't wandering the wilderness close to the vault entrance anyway)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think you can also upgrade the rooms to a new level. At least power I saw done.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Xmann wrote:#4. Other than arming my dwellers with clothing and equipment, how do I protect against raiders?
Always leave someone with your best gun in the vault entrance room. I also would put my second best gun in the NEXT room, because they would usually at least get past. But leaving that person up front will at least buy you enough time to get others that are well armed, closer to the entrance (it's a good idea to have your best equipped people that aren't wandering the wilderness close to the vault entrance anyway)
You can also upgrade your vault door to make it take longer for the raiders to get in.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Where do you get the Android version for Kindle Fire HDX? I F'n hate Google Play and refuse to use it...I dont see it on Amazon though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Where do you get the Android version for Kindle Fire HDX? I F'n hate Google Play and refuse to use it...I dont see it on Amazon though.
I doubt they release it for the kindle. A very, very tiny percentage of apps get released for the Amazon app store, and most developers don't think it is worth the hassle for the install base. Being stuck with the Amazon store is the biggest drawback of the Kindle Fire series.

The only real option would be to get a copy of the files and sideload them onto the Kindle, and it still may not work.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I thought it was Android?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Picked this up for my Nexus 5 a few days ago. After a false start I have a viable vault that is self sustaining but developing slowly.

I was unimpressed to realize it was just another Towers type game.

I'll keep at it for awhile and see what the later rooms bring, if anything.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:I thought it was Android?
It is Android. Kindle is quasi-Android.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I've uninstalled already. Really a waste of a good idea for a game though.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Xmann wrote:I've uninstalled already. Really a waste of a good idea for a game though.
It really is. And a great start to what could be a spectacular game, if they would just flesh it out a little and add an end game.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Tip on raiders: leave your door un-upgraded and empty. As soon as you can, make the first room to the right of the elevator, a 3-wide room. Staff it with 6 dwellers and give them +End outfits and your best weapons (except for what you're sending out with your explorers).

The raiders will run in, through the entry room, and straight to the room with 6 high-powered guns trained on them. It will be a bloodbath - in your favor. Once you get some good 8+ damage weapons in there, you won't even have to watch. Just keep harvesting. Get your med-bay upgraded and staffed, and it will heal them for you afterwards (over time).

Grow your vault slowly and deliberately. Get people out exploring. That's the only way to get the good stuff. As soon as you can, eliminate pistols and lever action rifles from your inventory. If everyone has hunting rifles+, they'll be much more self-sufficient.

I moved my storage rooms to the bottom level because they're unmanned, and fires spread rapidly. By spacing them out and keeping them isolated, the threat can never get to my main base (looks like the new molerats and deathclaws steal resources if they're not dealt with).

Here are my two vaults (bigimg):
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Bakhtosh wrote:Tip on raiders: leave your door un-upgraded and empty. As soon as you can, make the first room to the right of the elevator, a 3-wide room. Staff it with 6 dwellers and give them +End outfits and your best weapons (except for what you're sending out with your explorers).

The raiders will run in, through the entry room, and straight to the room with 6 high-powered guns trained on them. It will be a bloodbath - in your favor. Once you get some good 8+ damage weapons in there, you won't even have to watch. Just keep harvesting. Get your med-bay upgraded and staffed, and it will heal them for you afterwards (over time).

Grow your vault slowly and deliberately. Get people out exploring. That's the only way to get the good stuff. As soon as you can, eliminate pistols and lever action rifles from your inventory. If everyone has hunting rifles+, they'll be much more self-sufficient.

I moved my storage rooms to the bottom level because they're unmanned, and fires spread rapidly. By spacing them out and keeping them isolated, the threat can never get to my main base (looks like the new molerats and deathclaws steal resources if they're not dealt with).

Here are my two vaults (bigimg):
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
holy cow, lol!!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Xmann wrote:
holy cow, lol!!
I have a lot of training rooms in Vault 531 (top). Goal is to get everyone maxxed out. Don't know why...why not?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That is the question: why, indeed?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm suddenly unable to make any progress. For whatever reason, the incidents are hitting four or five rooms simultaneously now instead of one at a time. Every time I get hit, I lose a half a dozen dwellers that take up all of the money I've saved for improvements to revive. Rinse, repeat.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I went up against the 200 citizen limit, and I had to use a molerat attack to kill like 10 of them, then had to send the level 1's out to the wasteland (and die).

I have a simple criteria: if they can recover enough caps to cover their resurrection cost, they can come back. Else, they can stay dead. :D I do give them what armor I can spare and a good shotgun though. :)

My design philosophy is my storage rooms are up near the top... storage for like two full levels except my radio room is up top too. And I keep some of the best weapons up. So far, I've found a minigun, a flamethrower, and a mini-nuke, as well as a sniper rifle, victory rifle, and an enhanced shotgun. I keep those one super weapon per room (all my explorers gets shotguns, at least 6 dmg) as deathclaws don't die fast enough and I wear them down a bit. Raiders don't even make it to the third room, and Deathclaws never made it to third level. I just have to remember to hit the defenders with stimpacks afterwards.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd have probably stopped playing, except that I've got both of my kids hooked on it, and it is nice to have something in common with them. Instead, I have put my first vault into neutral and have started a second one in order to have something to do.

In my first vault, I offset the first elevator to prevent it being used by bad buys, but in my second I simply left off the rear elevator, which works even better. Everything runs straight to the back, then turns around and comes back through, meaning that they have to hit my first big room twice.

My first vault gave me a hardened fat man launcher, more sniper rifles, plasma weapons, and flamers than I can shake a stick at. I've gone so far as to sell off most of my laser pistols and all of my shotguns.

At one point, I made a whole stack of babies, enough to fill two rooms, plus half a dozen extras. The first set I put into training at level 1, and maxed their Strength, Luck, and Endurance. I then stuck my best +5 Endurance suits on them and sent them out with 15+ damage weapons until they hit level 50. That gave them the highest possible HP at level 50. I then replaced my entire top floor with nuclear reactors and stuck them in there with the best weapons I had.

Deathclaws never leave the top floor, and I don't need to use stimpacks during the fight (and only one each afterward.)

The second group of babies I trained to max every stat at level 1. They became my new set of explorers. The old explorers got stuck in the bottom room of my main facility, preventing any molerats from coming up from underneath into my main facility. All I get in the regular rooms are roaches and fires, and with every room having mostly 12+ damage weapons, I can ignore them.

My storage/barracks rooms follow Bakhtosh's example above. It works beautifully - any attacks in any of those rooms just vanish after a few seconds, as they have nowhere to go. I have three each Luck and Endurance rooms, two each Intelligence and Strength, and one of each of the others. All of my power plants are fully upgraded nuclear. All of my resource rooms are fully upgraded Nuka-Cola rooms. My resource bars never move - they're effectively locked at maximum.

I'm only at ~130 people in the vault, but I have absolutely no use for any more people. Like I said, if it was just me, I'd have quit playing a while ago, but the first thing the kids do when they get home is tell me what they found in the wasteland and ask what I've done in my vault. That makes it worth it to keep playing.

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Blackhawk on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Oh, so that's what endurance does. Hmmm...

I think my "Vault 767" just got corrupted. I load my savegame, and app crashes about 1 minute later. Darn it!
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote:Oh, so that's what endurance does. Hmmm...
There is no hard data, but a bunch of people have done research on it. What apparently happens is that your hit points gained at each level are controlled by your current Endurance (natural + bonuses), but it is not retroactive.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, they put out an update today with a few new features, including free lunchboxes and a free legendary dweller (which are iOS exclusives for some reason.)

Anyway, the result was that both of my kids had their vaults corrupted, making the game instantly crash when they're loaded. The kids have been working on these vaults for a long time, and are very, very unhappy. :x
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The update also includes a teleporting guy (wearing a trenchcoat and Fedora) that if you tap him while he's in your vault, you get random amounts of caps, usually a few hundred as he disappears.

And you can turn the tips off, there's a new toggle in the settings.

====

I think I figured out what endurance does. They are useful in exploring the wastes as it increases rad resistance. Regular outfits don't resist radiation much. The +E outfits are for exploring (and nukacola plants)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That and for leveling. My high level characters? I send them out with three RadAways and 25 stimpacks. After 5 days they return with zero stimpacks and three RadAways.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

This cloud save thing is crap. I just corrupted my second vault. They crash to desktop within about a minute of running. I had over 100 dwellers on one, and the previous one that got corrupted was right up against the 200 limit. Darn it.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I had a vault keep crashing on me yesterday. I had to swipe away all of my running apps, and it finally loaded. Don't know if you've tried that or a device reboot, but it couldn't hurt.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Did both reboot and clear out autostarts. After reboot, it got stuck on "loading vault". It's dead.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

1.4 is out today. Adds crafting and other stuff.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Trying to play this for the first time. Early on it seems like caps are hard to come by. I've used what little I get to build the power, water, food, and living space rooms. With only 22 people they don't seem to be able to self-sustain themselves and I can't earn enough caps to build the Overseer room in order to start any Wasteland explorations.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow