So i was thinking about getting a PS4 but just not sure...

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: So i was thinking about getting a PS4 but just not sure.

Post by Blackhawk »

Not knowing what you have or have not played/own on other systems makes suggestions hit-or-miss, but I've had the most fun on the PS4 with Dragon Age: Inquisition and Shadow of Mordor. I've also heard fantastic things about GTA V and Witcher 3, but haven't tried them myself.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Borderlands 2 The Handsome Collection is a sweet deal if you haven't already played the series to death. I had played it prior, but got distracted and never finished it. It has ALL the content for BL2. Which is a ridiculous amount of content.

Diablo 3 is also a great deal and a hell of a lot of fun with the controller. I actually like playing it on the PS4 more than I do the PC version.

I'm also having A LOT of fun with Madden. I haven't bought a game in that series in a long time and I'm very impressed with how far it came. I grabbed it on Black Friday for 27. EA games generally don't have legs with me, but I like the online stuff so maybe it will stick in my lineup for a while.

Dark Souls 2 is one of my favorite games ever so I would be hard pressed to not recommend it. Bloodborne on the other hand I haven't been able to get into. I like the slow tactical approach and that so doesn't work in the game. And no shields. I love my shields. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Newcastle wrote: Tomb raider is intriguing, i will look into it. Kind of want something with less of a combat element.
It's funny you say that, because from my recollection, I spent about 75% of my time playing Uncharted shooting dudes from behind cover, and 25% doing the platforming I wanted to do. There haven't really been many games lately that have gotten that ratio right for me. The last-gen Tomb Raider trilogy (not the recent reboot) and the Prince of Persia games probably came closest.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Oh, and I think the PSN sub is a good deal. Not only do you get occasional sale prices, you get 2-3 free games every month. They are mostly indie, but they had the Walking Dead adventure game series, the new King's Quest (this month) and stuff like The Binding of Isaac for free. So it is a nice way to pad your library.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I am thankful for all your recommendations. I should point out also that i am not a heavy "twitch" gamer...ie yuo need to jab the controller ferociously to win. I kind of like em a bit slower (sports games being the exception). So i've never really been into any shooter (call of duty, tom clancy, etc) but do love open world games (fallout 4). I seriously enjoyed Last of us though I never finished it.

I tried diablo on computer, and didn't care for it..again too twitchy for me. I'll look into dark souls. I did buy this knowing my selection of games that would intrigue me would not be large.

Anyway, thanks for all the recommendations.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote:Not knowing what you have or have not played/own on other systems makes suggestions hit-or-miss, but I've had the most fun on the PS4 with Dragon Age: Inquisition and Shadow of Mordor. I've also heard fantastic things about GTA V and Witcher 3, but haven't tried them myself.
You have a PS4? Do you also happen to have a PS3? Just wondering if it's worth the jump in...whatever....I assume speed, graphics...etc. I have not been hearing that it's leaps and bounds beyond the PS3, but I don't keep up with console news at all.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep. The boys got the PS4 for Christmas a couple of years ago. We also have a PS3. There is a big difference in speed and quality, although it isn't as huge on the launch titles as it is now.

Early on the developers didn't know the new hardware well, and it was a new system so most games were made for both generations. Now, though, more stuff is coming out that is current generation only (like Witcher 3), which means much higher quality as they don't have to tone it down for the older tech.

Here is a great comparison between the PS3 and PS4. 4 minute YouTube video.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, that is a pretty big difference, mostly in detail. I notice the 4 still suffers from the jaggies though. Do they not use anti-aliasing at all?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It depends on the game. Dragon Age was already pushing it to its limits.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So I've had it a few weeks now. And its steady as it comes. I've played a bit of Infamous Second Son and have enoyed it. Been playing Assassins Creed Syndicate a bit more though; though disappointed in teh load times. I will say the graphics improvement hasn't blown me over. I was thinking I'd be gettign something pretty solid, but I've come to the conclusion that PC graphics are by far superior than anything a console can drop. But that's just me. Still happy with the purchase since i like the interface better and i think the controller is a bit more ergonimically friendly.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Newcastle wrote:I was thinking I'd be gettign something pretty solid, but I've come to the conclusion that PC graphics are by far superior than anything a console can drop. But that's just me.
That will always be true. The benefits of a console are that the graphics will improve with age without upgrades as developers learn how to manipulate the system (a PS4 is a one-time investment. Playing better looking PC games over the same period as a consoles lifespan would cost many times as much money) and out-of-the-box stability.

That and gaming from the couch with your feet up.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Not to mention the graphical disparity between PCs and consoles keeps shrinking year after year. That's what finally pushed me into consoles. Those marginally superior graphics just became too cost-prohibitive.