So i was thinking about getting a PS4 but just not sure...

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

With Amazon's black friday coming up here, I'd been thinking for a while now of picking up a PS4. Now I'm not so sure. I have a PS3 currently that I mainly use to stream videos to my tv, otherwise the games I play are few and far in between..mainly "The Show" when baseball rolls around. I played some of GTA5 over the summer but not a lot.

The problem that I see I do almost all my gaming via a PC and a console has never really drawn me. Plus all the games that i might be intrigued about are on PC as well. I will say i am VERY, VERY intrigued with the VR tech coming out soon and would think the PS4 would be a good platform for it. I can see myself using it as a glorified streaming device and an occasional game or so, but I dont see myself using it a lot. Was thinking of doing the uncharted bundle of all the bundles out there, its supposedly $300. I guess i could pick up the latest assassin creed and the infamous 2nd son thing. I guess the main imperative in getting it was that it was gonna be discounted on Friday.

Not sure why I am dropping this thread, just wondering of people's thoughts on the PS4 am I missing something that i absolutely need it, or should i wait another year. Am sure I'll eventually get one, just not sure if this is the year for it.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Chaz

Re: So i was thinking about getting a PS4 but just not sure.

Post by Chaz »

I've been trying to convince myself to get a PS4 as well, and I've utterly failed. There are a really small number of exclusives that aren't coming to the PC, but not enough to justify the price. Having just gotten a Steam Link, now I think I'm even less likely to get a new console. Being able to easily get PC games on the TV for $50 just renders the console kind of moot.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'd say wait. It's not going anywhere, and the library of exclusives is only going to continue to build. Maybe think about picking one up when the VR stuff arrives. And it's not like it's going to magically go up $200 in price after Black Friday.

I used mine quite a bit for cross-platform stuff (I find their exclusives lacking), but that's largely because my PC is aging and I can't run stuff like Fallout 4 on it without upgrading.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

To me VR is a gimmick still. Just not tech enough for it to be viable.

I like playing stuff on it I cant get on PC...Destiny, The Order, Nathan Drake series, others. Its good when I need a break from the PC.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I was thinking of getting one this holiday season, but with the release of the Steam Link, I think I can put it off another year.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

At a minimum you know you'll play The Show, so is it worth it for that alone? One thing to remember is that cross-gen game development is almost done at this point. So any major release that you want either has to be on the PC or your choice of PS4/XboxOne, PS3 and 360 games will be sparse next year.
FTE
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

My better half and I have agreed that we're getting a PS4 this holiday season. Our Blu-ray player is starting to crap out, so we could either get a new Blu-ray player or get a console with Blu-ray support. Since the PS4 has several exclusives that we're interested in (Bloodborne, Destiny, Persona 5), we decided to go with the PS4, although most of my gaming will remain on PC.

We currently have an X360, which we'll keep around for the time being, mainly so that our son can keep his Minecraft worlds. We're not deeply embedded in the Xbox Live ecosystem, so switching over to the Sony side won't be a big deal.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just a note that Destiny is not a PS4 exclusive. :ninja:

However, my PS4 does work better for Blu-rays than my XB1.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

I love my PS4.. I use Plex on it just as much as I game on it (which admittedly isn't a lot these days, maybe one or two days a week).

I guess it comes down to disposable income. If $300 is going to cramp your style, it doesn't sound like it's really worth it for you.

Anyhow don't forget to use the Amazon link if you do buy one, I'm not sure what the kickback rate is -- but it's gotta be more than zero!
No.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I got my PS4 this summer when Gamestop was having a $150 trade in deal for old 360 systems. While, I'm primarily still a PC gamer I do use it quite a bit:

--It serves as my "Roku" streaming device (and works very well for that).
--Though it's a small collection, I do have some BluRays that I like to watch on occasion and the PS4 is my only BluRay player.
--Some of the PS4 exclusives are really, really good: Uncharted Enhanced edition, Bloodbourne, Destiny*, etc.
--If you want to play on the couch with a controller the PS4 allows you to do that well with Elder Scrolls Online and Planetside 2.
--After getting used to it, I like the PS4 controller better than the 360 one.

I'm happy with the value I'm getting out of it.

*Yes, I know. :P
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Hamlet3145 wrote:
--It serves as my "Roku" streaming device (and works very well for that).
I was hoping to use my PS4 as my main streaming device but there are just too many things I can't get on it - HBO Go (stupid Comcast), Watch ESPN, and Sling TV being the main ones. I've had to get a Roku for those.
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Thanks guys for all the input, i am still on the fence but I think I am leaning toward not getting it this year. The value isnt there yet.
Bayraktar!!!!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

SO i broke down and got one. Price was good, there are a few games I'll play. Also I probably wont see as nice of a price for a while on it I figure as well.
Bayraktar!!!!

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ha ha, I see I'm not the only one with no willpower.

The prices are really good this year though, and it's a great system. Could you have waited? Yes. Will you regret your decision? Probably not, if you go after those exclusives you wanted to play.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Even though I don't use it as much for streaming as I hoped, it still gets plenty of use. And if you're looking at the exclusives, Bloodborne is on sale at Amazon for $20....
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im hoping to get The Nathan Drake Collection for mine sometime. It is all 3 of the original ND games made to work on the PS4 and look better doing ti. Then I can get around to the 4th game :P
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Im hoping to get The Nathan Drake Collection for mine sometime. It is all 3 of the original ND games made to work on the PS4 and look better doing ti. Then I can get around to the 4th game :P

That's on my list, too.

For exclusives, look no further than The Last of Us Remastered. Good lord that game was good.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That came with my system..got it in May...and haven;t played it yet. I was playing Dying Light and didn't want 2 zombie games at once...but I haven't touched Dying Light in months...I need to get to one or the other.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I use mine all the time. My computer is aging and I just don't feel like upgrading it. For sports games it's not a contest. Even if some of them come to the pc the support is always much crappier on the pc. NBA2k I'm talking about you. And I don't have to troubleshoot like ever. Not tweaking settings, wishing I had a better video card etc. You get what they designed and you will like it. :)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Check out the Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain thread for impressions. The story line is silly but the game play is really top notch.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I got the nathan drake bundle which was the one I had been eyeing. NOne of the others (call of duty nor battlefront) intrigued me, since I dont really play those type of games. And the battlefront I've heard some negative reviews on it, plus i really dont multiplayer. But i did pick up Assassins Creed Syndicate, Infamous Second Son (am excited about this one, since I was really intrigued about it) and then fifa 16. All of those were pretty heavily discounted so I figured why not. Am sure all of those will keep me entertained on the PS4 till next Black friday when I'll pick up a few here and there. I looked around and couldn't find another game that intrigues me. I looked at bloodborne but i think thats not my style. I'll check out the other recommendations as well. I do have last of us for hte ps3, so i am not gonna pick it up for the ps4. Doesnt make sense financially even if its remastered.
Bayraktar!!!!

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If you haven't played the Witcher 3, it's easily my GoTY. I've also been playing Divinity: Original Sin on the PS4; it is also very good. If you have a PC that can run those games, though, you can almost certainly get them cheaper.
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:If you haven't played the Witcher 3, it's easily my GoTY. I've also been playing Divinity: Original Sin on the PS4; it is also very good. If you have a PC that can run those games, though, you can almost certainly get them cheaper.
i tried witcher 3 and returned it, just not my cup of tea. I also tried witcher 2 and didn't care much for it. I might pick up witcher 3 in like the summer 2017 sale though when its like 5 bones. I think i've got divinity on the PC though. Thanks for the suggestions though!
Bayraktar!!!!

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Infamous Second Son was a whole lot of fun. I also love Disgaea 5 (PS4 exclusive) and Metal Gear Solid: PP. Diablo 3 is also WAY more fun on the console.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

baelthazar wrote:Infamous Second Son was a whole lot of fun. I also love Disgaea 5 (PS4 exclusive) and Metal Gear Solid: PP. Diablo 3 is also WAY more fun on the console.
Diablo 3 is also a great multiplayer game. I'd say the best on any system.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Octavious wrote:
baelthazar wrote:Infamous Second Son was a whole lot of fun. I also love Disgaea 5 (PS4 exclusive) and Metal Gear Solid: PP. Diablo 3 is also WAY more fun on the console.
Diablo 3 is also a great multiplayer game. I'd say the best on any system.
Unless you have a Wii u. Much better multiplayer games on wii u than diablo 3. I own it and enjoy it, but wii had better options.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Unless you have a Wii u. Much better multiplayer games on wii u than diablo 3. I own it and enjoy it, but wii had better options.
Do tell. Do they have local? Require more than one Wii U control pad?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Wii U games only ever use the one gamepad, and use Wii remotes for multiplayer. They're supporting online MP much better this gen, but they almost always have solid local MP support. They also have several games that make interesting use of the gamepad for local stuff.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Any that support three players locally?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Mario kart, New Super Mario Wii U, Super Mario 3d World, Smash Bros, and Nintendo Land, off the top of my head. I know there's more.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Those are the ones that I play the most. but there are more I haven't picked up. But yeah I have an xbox one and a Wii u and the Wii has by far better pickings for local multiplayer. Not to mention all the wii games as well.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks. I love doing co-op, but it is impossible to find stuff not on the PC that works with both kids. If I had one more PC capable of doing so I'd set up LAN sessions, but I don't - just the one, plus one made of older parts that can run stuff on lower settings.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Newcastle wrote:SO i broke down and got one. Price was good, there are a few games I'll play. Also I probably wont see as nice of a price for a while on it I figure as well.
Newcastle wrote:Thanks guys for all the input, i am still on the fence but I think I am leaning toward not getting it this year. The value isnt there yet.
lol, ok...

there are a few exclusives i'd be interested in (Little Big Planet, Disgaea 5, Persona 5, Bloodborne), but i have an Xbox 360, 3DS, DS, Dreamcast (x2), Xbox original (x2), PS2 (x2), Gamecube (x2), Gameboy Advance, PS1 (x2), Jaguar, 3D0, SNES, Neo-Geo, Turbografx-16, Atari Lynx, Gameboy (x2), Atari 5200, Intellivision, Atari 2600 (x2), um, did i forget anything... i don't need another console! except a Vectrex. i really want one of those. and a Sega Master System would be cool... ooo, ColecoVision...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you have a Intellivision you have a Colecovision :)
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Blackhawk wrote:Thanks. I love doing co-op, but it is impossible to find stuff not on the PC that works with both kids. If I had one more PC capable of doing so I'd set up LAN sessions, but I don't - just the one, plus one made of older parts that can run stuff on lower settings.
For coop in particular I would suggest new super Mario brothers (wii), New super Mario Wii u, super Mario 3d world Wii u), and both donkey Kong games. Though donkey Kong only supports 2, the other the support 4. Fantastic hashes, poetically done of the best of the last two generations, and not enough is said about how good they are.

For local multiplayer competitive you can't get better than super smash Wii u, nintendoland (to a lesser degree), and Mario kart 8. Great multiplayer experiences for 4. Actually super smash is up to 8 locally but that's insane.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We picked up a Wii U for the kids this Christmas. I didn't really want another console in the house, but they go nuts over that thing every time we're in a store that has a demo unit. (And I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a total Mario Kart fanatic, and very much look forward to playing that).
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So its here and so far happy with it. Uncharted is a fun little game, anything else like that out there? I got the whole Uncharted package so i have 2 more to churn through, but I am enjoying the platforming puzzle jumping aspect of it.

Also picked up Fifa, which i tried briefly, not overly impressed with the graphics difference between that and the PS3. Oh well.
Bayraktar!!!!

Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Last of Us is in my top 10 best games ever.

Dark Souls 2 Sins and BloodBorne are excellent, if you like hard games and don't mind dying a lot. Once you figure them out, it's fun as hell.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Newcastle wrote:So its here and so far happy with it. Uncharted is a fun little game, anything else like that out there? I got the whole Uncharted package so i have 2 more to churn through, but I am enjoying the platforming puzzle jumping aspect of it.

Also picked up Fifa, which i tried briefly, not overly impressed with the graphics difference between that and the PS3. Oh well.
If you like the Uncharted games then you should definitely get Tomb Raider and Last of Us. Both can be found for cheap on Amazon.
FTE
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Scraper wrote:
Newcastle wrote:So its here and so far happy with it. Uncharted is a fun little game, anything else like that out there? I got the whole Uncharted package so i have 2 more to churn through, but I am enjoying the platforming puzzle jumping aspect of it.

If you like the Uncharted games then you should definitely get Tomb Raider and Last of Us. Both can be found for cheap on Amazon.
Tomb raider is intriguing, i will look into it. Kind of want something with less of a combat element. I have last of us for ps3 and played it probably 90% through, never finished it but its a solid game. Wont pick it up for the ps4 though, no need in having duplicates.
Bayraktar!!!!