Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes [mobile]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

wonderpug

Re: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes [mobile]

Post by wonderpug »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Do we even know if the Yoda toon is worth it? I mean, there are plenty of characters out there, that even when leveled up are crappy at best.
He seems pretty neat from what I saw of him fighting the first two tiers of his challenge. He seems like he's got really high speed and he almost constantly reactivates the "avoid the next attack" buff, so he fits the prequel movie concept of him leaping around all over the place and being impossible to hit.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'd love to pick him up but my fifth jedi is the elf looking jedi guardian and I really don't want to spend effort raising her stars.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Hit level 62 last night. Managed to make it to #113 in the arena, but you don't stay there long...back to 154.
Really starting to hate that prick Kylo Ren. His basic attack can give healing immunity AND damage over time. His special attack is a good AOE. And his second special does massive damage if his health is low. THEN he resets all of his cooldowns when he gets hit. :roll:
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

What's your team power, Bakhtosh? I'm around 17K and am the same level as you. I can't get above 1000 in the rankings..
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm glad to hear it's not just me. Level 64 with a team of 6* & 4* characters, half in purple gear and I can't even reliably stay below 800.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I've got a team of 4-star heroes, level 60ish, power level 17,000 or so. I can usually get into the 300s during the day and fall to the 450-550 range at night.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Cylus Maxii wrote:What's your team power, Bakhtosh? I'm around 17K and am the same level as you. I can't get above 1000 in the rankings..
Here's a pic of my squad. All gear 7 except for JC who is 8. I'm also only a couple more GW wins and a lot of credits away from adding a star to Phasma.
Enlarge Image
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Wow - my characters are a couple of levels lower than yours and a couple of starts shorter as well. No wonder...

Mine are level 60 and 4 to 5 stars vs 6 to 7. My gear is about the same. I've had no luck with GW at all and have never won one. I suppose that has held me back some at putting stars into my characters. You are well ahead of me.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Wow - my characters are a couple of levels lower than yours and a couple of starts shorter as well. No wonder...

Mine are level 60 and 4 to 5 stars vs 6 to 7. My gear is about the same. I've had no luck with GW at all and have never won one. I suppose that has held me back some at putting stars into my characters. You are well ahead of me.
The devs recently clarified how the difficulty of GW is set. It's based on the highest power level team you've ever won with in the Squad Arena mode. Your actual rank in Squad Arena doesn't matter a bit.

If you have a superpowered dream team that's way higher ranked than everyone else in your dream team, GW will be harder since you have no viable alternate teams or substitutes to swap in. It can help a lot to at least get a B team ranked up to the same or near level as your main team.

Another thing that helps with tough GW matches is to throw in a cannon fodder team first. The enemy team uses their special powers on your throwaway team, then you can bring in your main team to fight while the enemy powers are all on cooldown.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Yeah, my suicide squad has a couple of tanks and the rest high damage. Their goal is to kill one enemy. Just don't ever attack Sidious. As your guys die, he heals. I try to hit Lumi or Geo Soldier.

I win my GW almost every day. Focus on one at a time. I bring a lot of heals. Hit their highest damage guy first: Luke, Tie Pilot, Geo, etc...if they don't have a high damage toon, go for their tank before he can lure. Avoid AOE attacks if they have a healer ready unless it will kill one and apply a negative effect. AOE is also useful if their tank lures when one guy is low on health...just watch out for counter attacks.

I also want to add, I use Lumi as my GW leader. She heals everyone at the start of their turn (small amounts, but it adds up). I focused on getting her leveled up first. She's a beast. Her main attack is powerful and her secondary attack is jaw dropping. Her heal at level 6 has a continuing effect. It heals, then at the start of everyone's next 2 turns, they get a boost of healing. If I run up against a tough fight, I retreat and put Phasma as leader. It costs nothing to retreat, just do it before you lose the whole squad.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I didn't know you could run GW like that. I thought it was a complete reset if you retreated...

That opens a ton of possibilities. I have about 12 characters at 60. I have been sitting at 60 for awhile si I could widen my roster.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

How to you guys keep enough money? I'm constantly short of money to train my characters. I'm something like player level 63 while my highest characters are 3 at 59 and another 6-7 at 57 (a complete light and dark team basically).
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Madmarcus wrote:How to you guys keep enough money? I'm constantly short of money to train my characters. I'm something like player level 63 while my highest characters are 3 at 59 and another 6-7 at 57 (a complete light and dark team basically).
How far are you getting in your Galactic Wars? It's hard to tell exactly where my income is coming from, but I think the GW rewards are a big part.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Generally 7 or 8 wins. On the other hand that is sometimes over two days as I tend to leave GW for the evening and sometimes don't get around to it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Wow - my characters are a couple of levels lower than yours and a couple of starts shorter as well. No wonder...

According to what I have read (and experienced), you want to definitely add stars and upgrade equipment before training up a character...it makes them more powerful, while keeping the enemies you face in certain tables more manageable.

Sounds like you did the opposite. FWIW I am at player level 70 (max, unfortunately), and my highest level character is 53 currently. Equipment levels are way up there on my top 15 or so characters. In fact, I probably focused too much on upgrading equipment vs. stars, as I don't have the 7 star requirement (yet) to open up the shard shop.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

GW is a huge money maker. Whenever I don't have the time to complete it my income begins to seriously suffer. Taking characters from 6 to 7 stars costs a whopping one million credits. Be prepared.

I hit level 70 the other day. My squad arena team is level 64, with two at 7 stars and the remaining three at 6. I usually tread water in the 200s. I can get up into the 100s bracket, but never last long.

I'm actually finding it's important to level your arena team. Otherwise, your speed and hit rate tends to be lower than your opponent, and your alpha strike really suffers. Currently I can almost always beat GW. In fact, I can auto all but the toughest match-ups. I rarely exhaust more than a couple of characters.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Yeah, I've found the same thing about GW being my biggest income producer.

Not only is it 1mil to go from 6 to 7 stars, but training costs are huge once you get into the 60s.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If they don't up the level cap soon, or add some kind of goals, I will be leaving (again!)...it's not as bad as Fallout Shelter (because it's actually fun most of the time, and interesting), but it's coming dangerously close with no sense of accomplishments.

The big announcement was just another toon (Yoda), and a shard store, and while that may be initially cool, it's basically MOTS.

Of course that idea of finality or accomplishment goes against the very grain of an IAP grinder like this, so I am not holding my breath. I AM amazed that I am still 'playing' this thing, with maybe $15 in so far?

I will say that I ran into a very interesting character as boss the other day in one of my higher level games, so that was different. But it needs more things like that IMO, much more.

Heck, make the game more complex (or the option) at a certain high level. Reach Level 70, get the ability to pass or defend. Level 80 gets you a hex based game where you can place formations...90 adds the ability to move...make it incrementally more of a real game and less of a casual mobile app, and they would get much more $$ from me.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Twice now I've played challenges where I've seen a locked next tier of level 87 and 83 respectively. So either another cap increase is on its way (and it will be for more than 10 levels this time), or it's a bug.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Discovered a really nice combo in GW: the two critical components are Captain Phasma as leader, and Old Daka. Fill in with supporter/attacker/healer and wreak havoc. I personally like:

Capt. Phasma
Old Daka
Chewie
Darth Vader
Either Biggs/Nightsister Initiate (surprisingly good when leveled up), or something like TIE pilot that has a nice high powered hit. IG 86 also works well in this combo. I have also subbed in Luminara in this slot as well with good results.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I wish they'd condense GW to just the second half. The rewards for fully completing GW are so big that I feel I have to go for it every day, but it takes so much time to babysit the battles the whole way through to make sure I make it to the end with a viable team.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Discovered a really nice combo in GW: the two critical components are Captain Phasma as leader, and Old Daka. Fill in with supporter/attacker/healer and wreak havoc. I personally like:

Capt. Phasma
Old Daka
Chewie
Darth Vader
Either Biggs/Nightsister Initiate (surprisingly good when leveled up), or something like TIE pilot that has a nice high powered hit. IG 86 also works well in this combo. I have also subbed in Luminara in this slot as well with good results.
I'd love to try out some different teams, but I'm so resource sparse that I just can't devote the resources to building up multiple characters at once. :? The game really fails in this regard, as compared to the team's previous game, Heroes of Dragon Age. (Of course, a lot else that was poorly conceived in that title is remedied in this one.)
wonderpug wrote:I wish they'd condense GW to just the second half. The rewards for fully completing GW are so big that I feel I have to go for it every day, but it takes so much time to babysit the battles the whole way through to make sure I make it to the end with a viable team.
IMO it wouldn't be so bad if auto-battle could be trusted. Rarely will the AI focus down one target at a time. Even when I'm manually tapping to select the target. But yes, GW is a chore I often find myself forcing myself to complete in bed before the timer resets for the night. The only thing I hate worse is Squad Arena. The animations are slower than GW, and auto-battle is a suicide button. Done expect me to play out battles turn-by-turn if there's no tactical depth.

Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

:grund: :grund: :grund:
I appear to have triggered some sort of insane mode.
The last two days, I've been faced with multiple fights, all level 70 squads with Gear 8 in GW. I'm level 65 with 3 at gear 8, and 2 still at 7. I'm struggling just to keep my starting 5 leveled up with me.
You cannot defeat a team 5 levels above you with gear that's at least as good or better than yours. I have to send in a suicide squad, which is fine if they're only putting you up against this brick wall 1 or 2 times during the war, but it was 3 before I rage-quit GW last night, and I just got my second one on today's.

UPDATE: 6 out of 10 battles today have been against level 69 or 70 opponents. This is as far as I can go after hours of retreat, regroup, and try again. Assholes
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Finally beat GW again last night. Had a couple of tough fights I had to retreat from and try again repeatedly until I found the right combination. The last fight was a slugfest, but at that point, I didn't care if I finished with only one man standing.

Leveled up to 67. Trying to get my starting 6 (I alternate Daka and Qui Gon) up to max. Lumi, Sid, and Phasma are all 7 stars. JC is getting there...slowly. I got my top 4 up to Gear 8 and skill level 6 (except the leadership skills on those I don't ever use as leaders). The other 2 are on my list now, but I need to pull off and start boosting some of my others. My tanks are particularly lagging. They're down around level 57-61, and that makes suicide squads almost useless. I did get Han up to 5 stars.

I activated Ahsoka. I'm slowly working on Anakin. I want to get a good Jedi squad so I can at least start trying for Yoda...that's going to take a while. Don't want to waste Arena tokens on Eeth. I'm saving them up, hoping for a new character to be released there.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Mini patch just hit. Here's hoping the GW matchmaking really does improve.
  • Adjustments have been made to Galactic War matchmaking. These adjustments will not be done until you have restarted your Galactic War for the day.
  • Credits will be sent to the inbox of players who logged in every day in February but did not receive the reward or credit for completing the achievement.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

At level 68, almost to 69. My characters are lagging behind due to a lack of funds. My starting 4 (Lumi, Sid, Phasma, Consular) are all 7 stars now. Daka and Qui Gon are still competing battle to battle for that final spot. Trying to get QG up to gear 8, but can't seem to get any Bacta gel drops. Over 3 days, and 300 energy, I've received 2.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Since the last update GW's gone from to too easy to impossible for me. I can take down most teams of 70s if I'm paying attention, sure. But multiple teams of 70, back to back? Not without losing key characters. Making GW difficult if not impossible to complete for me now. This may be their intention, but it's hindering my income to the point I'm really considering quitting. The only thing holding me back is I don't have anything else to turn to for downtime at work or, dare I say it, on the john.

I'm not saying they don't have a right to make money, but the way they've monetized is really greedy and fun-hampering under the surface. You can play for an hour or two every day without dropping a dime, but the grind will be endless and frustrating, and you'll never be able to bring certain characters into viability.

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I sent requests from my 2nd account name Reemul9 I think but not 100%
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sudy Nym wrote:Since the last update GW's gone from to too easy to impossible for me. I can take down most teams of 70s if I'm paying attention, sure. But multiple teams of 70, back to back? Not without losing key characters. Making GW difficult if not impossible to complete for me now. This may be their intention, but it's hindering my income to the point I'm really considering quitting. The only thing holding me back is I don't have anything else to turn to for downtime at work or, dare I say it, on the john.

I'm not saying they don't have a right to make money, but the way they've monetized is really greedy and fun-hampering under the surface. You can play for an hour or two every day without dropping a dime, but the grind will be endless and frustrating, and you'll never be able to bring certain characters into viability.
IMO the way to win GW consistently is to have enough characters that are of sufficient quality to even survive for a few hits.

If you spend all your effort on an A team, (and even just an A and B team), I think beating GW consistently would be tough. My top 5 are much more powerful than all my others, but not by THAT much (4,000 power for top 5 vs 1,700 + for all 32 others I have activated)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Barris Offee has been a huge help to my GW success ever since I unlocked her. With her in the lead and Jedi Consular in the team, it's very easy to keep my A-team's health topped off from round to round. Consular doesn't hit nearly as hard as Luminara, but his heal more reliable since it refreshes much faster.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Reemul wrote:I sent requests from my 2nd account name Reemul9 I think but not 100%
Can you post your ally code or resend your invite to me? I think I accidentally deleted your request out of habit from the usual invite spam from strangers.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Carpet_pissr wrote:IMO the way to win GW consistently is to have enough characters that are of sufficient quality to even survive for a few hits.
I'm slowly getting there, but it's a bit of a catch-22. I need the cash from beating GW to upgrade my roster (stars and levels-wise, anyway), but I need an upgraded roster to beat GW.

Someone on the official forum mentioned tanking their arena standing reduced the difficulty of GW. I didn't think that was a factor, but I'm giving it a shot.

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Sudy Nym wrote:Someone on the official forum mentioned tanking their arena standing reduced the difficulty of GW. I didn't think that was a factor, but I'm giving it a shot.
On Reddit a dev said the difficulty is based on the highest power team you've ever won with in arena, and that dropping rank won't make it easier.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

wonderpug wrote:
Reemul wrote:I sent requests from my 2nd account name Reemul9 I think but not 100%
Can you post your ally code or resend your invite to me? I think I accidentally deleted your request out of habit from the usual invite spam from strangers.
my code is 112-726-875. Cheers
Tao

Post by Tao »

Recently bought my first tablet and downloaded this app . Only been playing a day or two but here is my ally code; 879-964-419. Think I am level 20ish. Also added a bunch of folks from the thread.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I should have enough gems for the 8-pack at some point over the weekend.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Chromium packs are typically not worth it. You'll be better off in the long run, using those crystals to buy additional energy and use that to farm shards for characters you want. I bought an 8 pack early on, and didn't get anything memorable.

Finally got QG to gear 8, and top 4 up to level 69. I'm getting close to 70. Should pass it once I complete my daily stuff. I do use a main GW squad for most battles, swapping Daka for QG if I need additional heals. You have to keep squads of others 5 levels or so below your kill squad. You use these for challenges and light/dark missions. In GW, they make fodder to trigger the enemy's special attacks, heals, and if you're lucky, kill one of them.

If I lose a member of my kill squad, and don't have Daka, I immediately retreat and try to solve the puzzle. If Sid doesn't heal block Dooku, retreat and try attacking Lumi first. If on first round, I get 3 people stunned, retreat and try a different leader. If it's not even close, retreat and send in the fodder, then try again. It takes time, but winning that last battle is so satisfying after cussing and stressing over the war.

Make sure, once the enemy is down to 2 toons, you stop using special attacks and start setting up for the next fight by letting your cooldowns reset.

Of course, the last mission is a free for all.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I bought an 8-pack a couple months ago. It was fun, but ultimately meaningless. Much like the game in general. :P The thing is, I had way more crystals than I could spend anyway. At least without buying shards in the shop. I say go for it. You might get someone awesome you wouldn't wind up with otherwise (whose stars you may not be able to level up...).

Isgrimnur

Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes [mobile]

Post by Isgrimnur »

Shards for:
Princess Leia
Jedi Guardian
Ayala Secura
Kit Fisto (enough to unlock him)

Character:
Princess Leia
Jedi Guardian
Jawa
Cad Bane

So a new character, shards to unlock a second, and two upgrades.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Nice haul!