Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes [mobile]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes [mobile]

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Nice, addictive casual TBS game with over the top production values. All the SW music, sounds, etc. VERY well done.

It's like an old school HOMM game (just the tile based battles), but with less strategy (no movement for instance, which really could make it great IMO).

It's free, and I have played many hours without plunking down actual cash, so certainly viable to play that way if you want. I assume at higher levels, or to get the better characters, it will be necessary to pay.

My biggest complaint is that it's way too easy...even this many hours in, I have yet to lose a battle! Also, a bit more complexity or options in battle would make it much more interesting. I guess there is a fine line there between making something "casual", vs. not.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-wa ... 22358?mt=8

So far, 7/10 tentacles for me. I would have given it 6, but I just got a Count Dooku, and the fun factor just went up a notch!! :P
Sudy

Re: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes [mobile]

Post by Sudy »

List of Playas
Cylus Maxii - 215-467-713 - Cylus Maxii
Carpet_pissr - 211-736-934 - Mol Diddy
Sudy Nym - 568-711-442 - Sudy Nym
Mrs Nym - 829-731-537 - Kalimera
Reemul - 937-729-994 - Reemul
Reemul - 112-726-875 - Reemule
Madmarcus - 261-757-424 - Madmarcus
wonderpug - 889-865-594 - Wik
Cortilian - 259-753-863 - Cort
Baroquen - 112-585-633 - Baroquen131
Isgrimnur - 294-628-416 - Isgrimnur
Bakhtosh - 937-937-351 - Bakhtosh
dangerballs - 285-536-668- dangerballs
Harkonis - 647-146-878 - Harkonis
Naednek - 926-494-675 - Naednek
Tao - 879-964-419 - Tao
Newcastle - 544-833-369

I've been playing this too. It's more deceptively shallow addictive mobile fodder. But, it's good deceptively shallow addictive mobile fodder. The mobile slime market has really matured. It's by the same studio as Heroes of Dragon Age, my other mobile addiction. And this one is a lot more polished. And yes, you can play for hours at a time (at least at first), without paying a cent.
Last edited by Sudy on Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:32 am, edited 10 times in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I fully recognize what they're doing, I just don't care. ;). I'm there for the sounds and graphics and characters.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm also having fun with this.

My ally code is: 215-467-713
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Cool - will add you, even though I'm not familiar with allies and how they can help.

I freaked out yesterday when I got a Darth Maul character - now THAT is a bad ass! :P Although Count Dooku's counter on EVERY hit is very sweet also.

My ally code is:211-736-934
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

568-711-442 - Khronophor

My only "cool" drop so far is Biggs. I'm working on getting Ventress and Ahsoka with arena tokens and cantina credits to build a Nightsisters squad though.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Just got Poe today, with 3 stars! Check your newsletter icon for that one. Very cool. And I have to say, the animations of the light saber attacks are astounding. Especially if you get multiple Jedi or Sith counter attacking at the same time?! Holy shitballs it's awesome just to watch.

Boba Fett animations are also incredible.

Apparently there's also a companion app already. Anyone checked it out?
Mrs Nym

Post by Mrs Nym »

My ally code: 829-731-537

I'm aggressively pursuing HK-47 via the Arena shipments. KOTOR FTW!
Currently playing: Palia
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think the companion app is for Battlefront--just EA doing some cross-promotion.

I got Captain Phasma (awesome) and Resistance Trooper from the newsletter--I assume then that you probably get one or two of the new characters at random then?

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sudy Nym wrote:I think the companion app is for Battlefront--just EA doing some cross-promotion.
Yes, I'm a moron. Imagine my surprise when I opened the app and started trying to figure out how any of what they were referring to had to do with Heroes. Doh.

The more I get into this app, the more I like it.

Favorite "activity" is Galactic War. LOVE that mechanism of just getting as far as you can burning through all your characters. It even saves the health states of your enemies if you lose a battle and jump in with new chars! Tag team style. Very cool idea.

And unlike Hearthstone, which I also play regularly, if you're in the middle of a battle and say, your boss walks up, you hit power on your phone. Even hours later, you can come back and find the game has lovingly paused it for you, and you can resume, instead of 1. Auto losing battle 2. Knocking you out of the part of the game you're in and 3. Knocking you off the game network. (All of which Hearthstone does)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Mrs Nym wrote:My ally code: 829-731-537

Tried to add you per number above, but said code not valid FYI.

Also, how exactly do allies help? I should probably know the answer to that before adding people willy nilly, but that's just the way I roll sometimes.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Using allies rather than random other players for "borrow a hero" grants you 20 social badges rather than 10. It also lets you exercise a little control over the leader abilities on offer. (E.g., I can routinely enjoy the benefit of Dooku's +5% evasion to all characters.)

There are a few achievements for adding allies, too.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

With the current batch of maybe 15-17 characters I have (and I level/power them up as equally as possible), even though he is not listed as "most powerful", Count Dooku is to me, by far my most valuable (and I would argue the powerful rating...not sure how that's calculated).

Especially if you unlock the "Flawless Riposte", which is basically a counter attack EVERY time he takes damage, including from burst and or area attacks. That is amazing, and it's a passive perk if you will, so if you have or are thinking about getting him, you should beeline toward unlocking that IMO...makes so much of a difference.

I was drooling about finding a Darth Maul earlier, but while he is an amazing pure attack character, he's one dimensional, and while his attacks can be brutal, Dooku can dole out just as much sheer damage as Maul, and on top has a lot of other abilities (including leadership). Darth Maul is very, very good, but IMO, Dooku is great.

I am about to get enough shards to unlock Vader, which seems to be ok, but I REALLY want a Boba Fett...
Mrs Nym

Post by Mrs Nym »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Mrs Nym wrote:My ally code: 829-731-537

Tried to add you per number above, but said code not valid FYI.

Also, how exactly do allies help? I should probably know the answer to that before adding people willy nilly, but that's just the way I roll sometimes.
Did you try a second time? The same thing happened to me at one point while adding someone, but then I entered the same number again and it worked fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm glad I stumbled over this thread. I went looking to try one of the Star Wars mobile games, and I avoided this one, because well, EA... So I tried Uprising, which is too arcade-like for my tastes. After trying this one, it looks much more up my alley.

I know the Chewbacca that they give you to start is probably given to everyone, (like the Jedi and the trooper) but that's one of my favs, so that alone will buy some more play time. :)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, but he's a pretty solid tank, and the generic Jedi Consular is an indispensable healer for some time. If you enjoy him, build him up!

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

This game has its hooks in me. Getting new characters seems very slow but I'm still enjoying the basic team. Even my Ewok scout seems useful (terrific damage).
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Blargl. Ok, I'm installing now you heathens.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Huh. Apparently when you draw a full character in the free data card drawing, and you already have the character, it loads you up with upgrade shards. Cool.

Unfortunately, I had just spent 100 precious crystals to get TWO Snowtrooper shards to promote my lowly one star Snowtrooper, and with a few minutes, got this surprise with 6 or 7 shards! DOH.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

My Ally code is 937-729-994

I have a 3* Chewbacca, 3* Poe Damron, 3* Talia and a 3* Stormtrooper.

PLay this daily, nice little time sink and works really well on my iPhone as well, no need for a tablet.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Reemul wrote:PLay this daily, nice little time sink and works really well on my iPhone as well, no need for a tablet.
It actually looks worse on my 9.7" iPad screen because it's not a native iPad app, and it doesn't seem they increased the resolution for the iPad version. Quite ugly actually (in comparison to how it looks on my iPhone).

I'm at the point to where I can't win anything on the "campaign" until I level up more. I think I've made a mistake leveling so balanced across my characters. From now on, I will be focused on powering up my top 3 or 4 so I can progress.

Also, what's up with the 3rd round of the Cantina battles? Some of those where the boss is flanked by 2 robots...not sure if it's a bug, but after a few turns, they hit you with an AOE attack that does (no joke) 20,000 or something near that, damage?? WTH man. So all the bars go dark of course, but everyone is still alive.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I was really lucky got a 4-star Jedi named Bariss Offee from a bronzium (freebie) pack on about the 4th day. She and Chewie are my two best ones so far.

As far as unlocks go, I'm at 2/3 Luke; 1/2 Darth Vader, Biggs, Ahsoka, Leiah, and Qui-Gon; and maybe 1/3 Doku. Obviously I've been focusing on getting Luke Shards from the Cantina Battles Holotable.

I just unlocked the Galaxy Battles yesterday and made to the 10th fight before I got whipped badly. But it was a good money maker for the standard credits I need for training.

If You all get a chance - please post your Character Names. Mine is still Cylus Maxii in the game. But I can't identify all of yours. I know that Sudy Nym is Kronophor. I think that Carpet_Pissr is Mol Diddy. I'm not sure about the rest. But I'd like to know since I'm getting close to the limit and would rather prune the non-OO folks.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm Madmarcus in game also. Ally code is 261-757-424.

I feel like I have the blandest possible list of characters. Chewbacca, Jedi Counselor, Jawa, Tano, and Ewok Scout or Teebo on the Light side and not a lot of shards yet towards no characters. I cruised up to level 30 or so but I'm hitting a wall now.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Madmarcus wrote:I'm Madmarcus in game also. Ally code is 261-757-424.

I feel like I have the blandest possible list of characters. Chewbacca, Jedi Counselor, Jawa, Tano, and Ewok Scout or Teebo on the Light side and not a lot of shards yet towards no characters. I cruised up to level 30 or so but I'm hitting a wall now.
Suggestion: from the shards you do have for characters that aren't activated, pick one, and just focus on battles that drop shards for that character. If it weren't for the "SIM" function, I would definitely not be still playing this "game". Really, an ounce more of choices on the TBS board, and this thing would be awesome. At least ability to move and option to defend on a turn.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Simming a battle 3 times (and rarely getting more than 1 shard) seems very slow.

Since you can sim the holotable battles and unlimited time I did rush to get the Tano shipment since I'd like to raise her star rating but 30 simmed battles for 5 shards is still a slow progression.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

If only animations in all battles could be set to run at their Galaxy Battles speed.

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Does it matter at all if a character is in the front row or the back row?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

wonderpug wrote:Does it matter at all if a character is in the front row or the back row?
No, but I wish it did have that kind of depth (pun intended).
Mrs Nym

Post by Mrs Nym »

My name in-game is Kalimera.

I totally pulled Old Daka from a bronzium pack. I am awesome.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

wonderpug wrote:Does it matter at all if a character is in the front row or the back row?
Only the toon in the very first spot applies the leader bonus.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I used my built up crystals to buy 4 chromium packs tonight. I pulled Darth Maul (4-star) and Cad Bane (3-star). I can't use Cad yet since I have no credits left to train him after leveling Darth Maul to 41.

I can't wait till tomorrow when I have the energy to use Darth Maul. I hit a pretty good plateau at 40 and hope it helps. I spent all my energy today grinding gear to get Darth Maul up to gear level IV to be on par with my main guys. I have Poe, Chewie and Bariss at Level 5.

If you are stuck at 30 I suggest working on getting your gear up to level 4 to unlock powers for the crew that have them.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I really want Cad Bane, I love him in the SW Clone Wars, He's my favourite character and holds his own against the Jedi really well.

Other characters I really want are

Asajji Ventress
Darth Vader
Darth Maul
Aayla Secura
Savage Opress

Really hope we get more characters as well
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm thinking my user name is some form of Baroquen. Don't remember using something different this time.

In any event, My Ally code is 112-585-633. I'm going to be adding the bunch of you momentarily. Hope you don't mind.

Loving the game. I mainly have the standard roster with some boring extras. Chewie, Jawa, Phasma, IG-86, Jedi Counselor, Royal Guard, Ewok Scout, Clone Sargeant. I've got a few that might not be standard: I'm actively using Talia, CT-5555 and got a 2-star Qui-Gon Jinn. Oh.. and a Snowtrooper (in a pear tree).

Fun so far. I like knocking off the daily achievements. And while I will probably drop some money on the game eventually (as I like to support the games I enjoy), some of the package prices are crazy. $99.99 for a TFA bundle? ha!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Second post of the thread updated with everyone's ally codes. Cortillan and wonderpug, submit yours if you like?

Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

My Code - 259-753-863
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'm 889-865-594
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

wonderpug wrote:I'm 889-865-594
are you Wik?
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Cortilian wrote:My Code - 259-753-863
Are you Cort?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Cylus Maxii wrote:
wonderpug wrote:I'm 889-865-594
are you Wik?
Yup!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I don't understand the crafting mechanics - why would there be a green "plus" sign over an item for which you have an oversupply.

So I had an icon for a widget, and I had 6/1 showing, which I take to mean I need one to craft the top icon, but I have 5 extras currently. Why would I click on that plus if I don't need anymore of those?

I think I am missing something, but not sure what it is. Perhaps it's time to start reading up!

Put another way - is it even possible to "waste" your upgrades by clicking on something (and expending an upgrade) that ultimately has no effect?