Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes [mobile]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Harkonis

Re: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes [mobile]

Post by Harkonis »

seems like we only finished that one a couple hours before it reset, might need to wait a bit to bump it up. Not sure though.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I see we now have 35 members...maybe move up to the next tier? We can always move back for the following one if it's too much, right?
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I don't think the lower tier raids have a time limit. Only the top tier does. The lower ones just keep refreshing your roster until you're able to bring him down.

If I'm mistaken about that, PLEASE link me to the information. Nothing that I've been able to find gives a lot of info about the mechanics of the raid system.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I see we now have 35 members...maybe move up to the next tier? We can always move back for the following one if it's too much, right?
Tier 4 is weighted for squads above level 60. I only have 3 full squads that would meet that. Don't want to hurt our lower members.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm just breaking into the 50s, but I think I'm the outlier on this one. Most of you all seem up to that task. I thought it was cool just to take part last time.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Won't higher level raids yield lowbies more helpful gear, anyway? Unless, of course, the barrier of entry is too high for them to participate. But I'm just guessing, I haven't had the opportunity to investigate.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

New character pack results:

Enlarge Image

20 Leia tokens got me an upgrade, and ain't nothing wrong with an instant Darth Maul.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Just finished a Tier 4 raid. Tier 5 is a step up in difficulty, but we're up to 41 members now.

Thoughts?

Reemul , Sudy?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

As I crudely posted in guild chat, I think we should try it. We downed tiers 3 and 4 in three days or less, didn't we? Our consideration for our lower level guildmates should be whether they can field a single team, not five full teams. As long as you get on the damage chart your're eligible for rewards, no?

That said, if some of our younger members are bummed they don't get to participate as much, I'm totally fine with sticking at tier 4.

Truth be told I find the raid kind of boring, but it's something new to do, and I need coins for my Jawa Engineer shards, so.... :P

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Are all tiers 30,000 coins, or do they get progressively more expensive? I didn't want to advance too far and accidentally start one before we were ready.

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I agree, if members can field 1 full team that should be fine, my kids both managed some damage in the raid.

I am finding cash the real problem, got 1 7* and another coming very soon and the cost is big. Also could do with levelling my toons up but can't afford to do both,
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Also just recently running into a cash problem. Someone mentioned it in this thread a long time ago, and I remember thinking "we must REALLY be playing differently because that is the one in game currency that seems to be so plentiful that it's meaningless!" And now I know why.

I have TONS of mid to high level characters, but for my player level, my "best" team is relatively very low (because I have spent so much on normalizing across my roster, primarily for GW). Now that my top characters are nearing level 70...oof. I often have two or more characters 'waiting' to level up (stars) because I just don't have the half million credits required.

So do we currently have enough guild credits to start another raid? Not sure why I am having so much trouble understanding the stupid raid mechanics, and when it's possible to start, etc.!
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Tier 1 = 30k
Tier 2 = 34k
Tier 3 = 38k
Tier 4 = 42k
Tier 5 = 46k
Tier 6 = 55k
Tier 7 = ? (Have to beat Tier 6 before it unlocks)
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Right now, I'm running a level 74-75 A-team, a level 70-71 B Team, and a mid 60s C-team.

I start my first node with C-team then try node 2. They don't usually complete node 2 without losses. If losses get bad, I retreat and bring in B. This team is generally good for several nodes. Once it gets too hard for them, I bring in a suicide squad to soak up some of the enemy's special attacks. Then A team goes in. I have enough toons that I can usually field one suicide squad for each of the remaining nodes. By the time I get to the end, I usually have my C and B teams left, but it's nice to have them in reserve if I need a strong suicide squad that can thin out the enemy ranks.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I guess best practice is to immediately take out the summoned Gamorreans before wailing on the boss? At this level, problem for me is that by the time I take out his minions, his summon skill has refreshed and he brings 2 more on immediately. Couple rounds where I did ZERO damage. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I only got 3 rounds in that did any real damage. The 4th round was a massacre. That left me with 1 level 50 that I just left undeployed.

I think Tier 5 is just too much until we're close to 50 members, and at least half can field 3 full 5-star squads. I cannot imagine what the dang Rancor is going to be like this time.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Bakhtosh wrote:I think Tier 5 is just too much until we're close to 50 members, and at least half can field 3 full 5-star squads.
Agree, and I bet at least a few of the members are just...junk, or non players/inactive...whatever you want to call it.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Finally unlocked Yoda. Got a long way to go to get another 6 or 7 star Jedi. Unless I give up other upgrades and focus on Eeth, I don't think I'll have 7 star Yoda for another 4 or 5 months. Anakin shards are stupid slow.

I did get Barriss up to 7 stars. Gonna start farming Dooku shards for a while unless something else in the Cantina catches my eye.

I need to activate 2 more dark side toons to promote Vader.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If I want to get to next tier Yoda, that means adding another star for my Plo Koon, which I am not a fan of. Even at his current level, his AOE attack is ridiculously underpowered, and I imagine the opponents snickering when he does it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not sure if it was this thread or another, but does anyone remember the mentioned name of a recommended mobile game for The Walking Dead recently? There are quite a few out there, and just wanted to check it out.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I started playing Road to Survival, mentioned in this thread.

Continuing to grind away at Star Wars too.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Should we remove members who haven't logged in for 15 days? 20? 30?

Harkonis mentioned Warshaper has quit the game.

Kalimera's inactive right now but just taking a break, and would like to remain.

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I think 20 days is long enough. They can always come back in if the play again.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

i am around and loggin in each day just for the bonus. Just haven't had time to play for a bit of time.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, 20 days sounds very generous to me, I would say 15 maybe. As mentioned, one can always rejoin (assuming there's space I guess).
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I'll be gone for a few weeks end of july on, not quitting though.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I haven't fully decided, but I think I may be ready to take a break. Not sure how long, or if permanent.

Having way too much fun with Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius--it's in a similar vein, but actually feels more like a "game" (though I'm sure that's in part because I haven't hit the end-game grind yet).

Playing two of these games at a time just isn't doable. Then of course, SW:GoH's introduction of mods has been a debacle. I already couldn't afford to simply rank-up characters, nevermind mods. That and gearing to and beyond IX takes ages unless you're in a competitive guild (and I have no wish to leave ours). The raid itself has become so repetitive I don't want to do it most of the time. I know there's a new one coming, but the novelty will wear off fast.

Maybe if the cash shop was more reasonable. I could see spending some cash on credits, but not at those rates....
Last edited by Sudy on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Can't argue with any of that. I'm feeling much the same way. I need to cut something out. I like GoH, but if you aren't dropping serious cash, you'll never be able to reach the top. ST Timelines is the exact same way right now. The only game that really seems like a F2P player can grow just as powerful as the whales is Clash of Clans. They get there faster, but you can get there too.

Maybe I've talked myself into my decision...
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Tim agrees

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That pretty much makes me want to uninstall it. All I'm doing at this point is logging in to sim battles for a few character shards a day. Having to worry about managing another item group? Shards/equipment/energy weren't enough artificial limits?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Not to mention the real lack of customizability, even with mods. I don't have a problem with the treadmill if it's a moderately fun one that only fills in time in my life that would most likely otherwise be wasted. But I'm having more fun with Final Fantasy right now. There's a lot more "game" to it; e.g. there's actually a story, items generally work the way they do in classic FF games, etc.

I like the guild/community aspect of SW:GoH, and I prefer the Star Wars universe. But if we no longer find the game itself fun, what are we building toward? Mastering the raid after months, and even then being further behind the paying power players than we could ever make up?

I kind of need to make the decision to quit, as right now I feel compelled to play the game during times I could spend more enjoyably doing other things. I'm in it purely for the dopamine. It's hard to believe corporate game development found a way to reduce MMOs to an even less productive, fulfilling, or enriching experience. Compared to this WoW is Shakespeare. Screw them.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You can't fault them for wanting to make money, that is their reason for being, but when you compare how...stingy GoH feels compared to something like Hearthstone, for instance, where it was imminently playable, and possible to be competitive (not to mention actually having a game in there, with deep strategy) without dropping a dime, it does make me wonder why I "play".

Again, if they just added a few more strategic possibilities (defend, move, pass), it really would be a great game IMO. Someone really needs to develop a casual mobile game like this, based on the battle parts of the old HOMM games, with a grid, a hero, and the same mechanics.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't fault them for wanting to make money... certainly great creative effort still goes into these games on the part of the developers. The predatory marketing and psychologically exploitative design is just extremely frustrating. Obviously this is something I was aware of from the beginning; it isn't some new realization.

It's like comparing Michael Bay to Stanley Kubrick. I'm not saying the former doesn't have a right to exist, nor that I've never enjoyed one of his films. Just that most of his work is poorly conceived and manipulative.

Anyway, I've uninstalled for now. It was hard to do.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sudy Nym wrote:Anyway, I've uninstalled for now. It was hard to do.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Is there a guild for OOers? I've been playing this forever and didn't know.
Adventurene - 668-234-629

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Sectoid wrote:Is there a guild for OOers? I've been playing this forever and didn't know.

Sent you an invite if you accept I can then invite you to the guild
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You can boot me from group to make space. I stopped playing a week ago or so.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Reemul wrote:
Sectoid wrote:Is there a guild for OOers? I've been playing this forever and didn't know.

Sent you an invite if you accept I can then invite you to the guild
Done.

Model Mayhem # 641920
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Can't invite you, are you in another guild ? Colorful Chaos maybe?
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Reemul wrote:Can't invite you, are you in another guild ? Colorful Chaos maybe?
I'm out. Send me the invite when you can.

Model Mayhem # 641920