Dark Souls III

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

e1123

Dark Souls III

Post by e1123 »

Anyone else playing Dark Souls 3? I'm playing a sorcerer and it's a little bit different this time around. Graphics look pretty good. Veteran since Demon's Souls and I liked Bloodborne, but this is more my cup of tea.
Chaz

Re: Dark Souls III

Post by Chaz »

I'm slowly playing this, but on PC. I'm still only in the second major area. but at least I'm finally making okay progress.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Bought it, but haven't played yet. I'm trying to wrap up XCOM 2 before I do. Alas, my life is such that I'm a one-game-at-a-time sort of guy now.

Hopefully I'll get to this in a week.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I wonder if this'd get more traction over in PC Gaming. The crowd here tends to skew toward PC, and I can't imagine nobody's playing it.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm more into Easy Going Souls, myself.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Chaz wrote:I wonder if this'd get more traction over in PC Gaming. The crowd here tends to skew toward PC, and I can't imagine nobody's playing it.
Honestly I think this forum should be merged into PC. There's really not much going on in this area for years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh and yes I'm totally playing it. It's my favorite series and one that I gladly pay top price for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Does anyone have a recommended order of areas for tackling the game? I'm not sure what class I'll end up with, but I've always gone Fighter/Magic-User since I like options (i.e. Sorcerer who has some strength/endurance).
Last edited by Buatha on Wed May 04, 2016 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That's for DS2 btw. Generally those progression lists are pretty spot on. If you aren't very familiar with the games it's a safe bet to follow what they have. There's one point in DS2 that leads you directly to a super hard area that you should go to later. I drove myself nuts before I realized I shouldn't be there yet. :lol:

e1123

Post by e1123 »

Iron Keep before Black Gulch, definitely, and Brightstone Tseldora, too.

I just hit a point in DS3 where I have a choice. They're pretty stingy with the upgrade materials in this game. It's going pretty smoothly as a glass cannon sorceror, though.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Sorry, I was thinking Dark Souls II. I'll remove that list.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

I haven't finished yet, but this progressions list will carry you a good part of the way

[edit]updated with my current progress. I'm maybe 2/3 done now and am completely in love with this game.[/edit]
Spoiler:
Cemetery of Ash
Firelink Shrine
High Wall of Lothric
Undead Settlement
Road of Sacrifices
Cathedral of the Deep (you can go Farron instead, but its best to do Cathedral first otherwise you have to backtrack)
Farron Keep
Catacombs of Carthus (Smouldering lake is optional off this area, but I haven't messed around in there yet)
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
Irithyll Dungeon
Profaned Capitol
Anor Londo (supposedly there's an optional area off here but I haven't seen it yet. Maybe it's past the boss.)
You can do Anor Londo before Dungeon/Capitol if you choose. I was getting frustrated with a certain enemy type and went dungeon first. There are also some optional spots that I have skipped for now as they are kicking my butt.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Covenant72 wrote:I haven't finished yet, but this progressions list will carry you a good part of the way

[edit]updated with my current progress. I'm maybe 2/3 done now and am completely in love with this game.[/edit]
Spoiler:
Cemetery of Ash
Firelink Shrine
High Wall of Lothric
Undead Settlement
Road of Sacrifices
Cathedral of the Deep (you can go Farron instead, but its best to do Cathedral first otherwise you have to backtrack)
Farron Keep
Catacombs of Carthus (Smouldering lake is optional off this area, but I haven't messed around in there yet)
Irithyll Dungeon
Profaned Capitol
Anor Londo (supposedly there's an optional area off here but I haven't seen it yet. Maybe it's past the boss.)
You can do Anor Londo before Dungeon/Capitol if you choose. I was getting frustrated with a certain enemy type and went dungeon first. There are also some optional spots that I have skipped for now as they are kicking my butt.
Spoiler:
I feel like I hit a brick wall when I got to the Dungeon/Smouldering Lake. Both areas are extremely hard compared to earlier in the game. I don't remember any past Dark Souls game ramping up in difficulty so quickly. The one thing I really dislike in this one is that they enemy can just spam like 10 attacks in a row. It's sooooo annoying. Sword and board is A LOT harder in this one.

Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

Octavious wrote:
Covenant72 wrote:I haven't finished yet, but this progressions list will carry you a good part of the way

Spoiler:
Cemetery of Ash
Firelink Shrine
High Wall of Lothric
Undead Settlement
Road of Sacrifices
Farron Keep
Irithyll Dungeon
Profaned Capitol
Spoiler:
I feel like I hit a brick wall when I got to the Dungeon/Smouldering Lake. Both areas are extremely hard compared to earlier in the game. I don't remember any past Dark Souls game ramping up in difficulty so quickly. The one thing I really dislike in this one is that they enemy can just spam like 10 attacks in a row. It's sooooo annoying. Sword and board is A LOT harder in this one.
Yeah, you definitely need to get more aggressive compared to previous titles (some definite Bloodborne influence) and mix some dodging in with your blocks (rolls use very little stamina this time around) for positioning. Rolling to get position rather than the old strafe around to get in back works much better.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I'm having a hard time adjusting to that. Bloodborne I gave up on for a while. I like the slower pace of the earlier games. Oh well.

Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

Octavious wrote:Ya I'm having a hard time adjusting to that. Bloodborne I gave up on for a while. I like the slower pace of the earlier games. Oh well.
If you get your strength up and equip one of the great shields, I think you can play more the way you are describing. I just switched to a 40 strength monster, and I am no longer getting staggered all the time when I just stand there. It also has a great skill which holds the shield in front of you and dashes forward breaking your target's guard. I also pumped my HP and END up a good amount and that helped a ton. I'm not the best souls player in the world (usually can't finish) and had to give up on Bloodborne after killing the spider and revealing the true world, but with high health/endurance and a good shield, I've been getting along pretty well.
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

Finished this up last night and what an amazing experience. I am just running around finishing up one side area I never did and then I will decide if it's NG+ or a mage build for my next run.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Arise thread! Bought this last weekend for cheap even though I usually get frustrated with constantly dying in these types of games (I think I only made it about an hour into Bloodborne). But surprisingly, I'm actually doing ok in this one about 7 hours in. The hardest part so far was actually the very first boss; once I got past him it has been relatively smooth sailing (meaning only dying every 30 minutes instead of every 10 minutes). Realizing that I could summon help for the bosses made a big difference, as did the ability to snipe most enemies with my bow without getting into too much danger. In any case, just the lower difficulty definitely makes me rank this game higher than the other ones in the genre.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I did it. I finally finished a Dark Souls game! I got a platinum in Bloodborne a long time ago but could never get into the Souls games. I started Dark Souls 3 again recently and for the first time tried a straight INT build and it was magical (ha!). I think the biggest learning for me was using embers to get NPC help. I know I used others (don't remember if NPCs or PCs in Bloodborne) but for whatever reason I never tried summoning in DS3. There are some very helpful players out there and having a tank, PC or NPC, is great for a pure magic build. I got invaded by PCs a handful of time and it was never disruptive. I think I won about 40% of the time, but my build was not PvP focused at all.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter