PS4 Horizon Zero Dawn by Guerrilla Games

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: PS4 Horizon Zero Dawn by Guerrilla Games

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks, will give those a shot.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I hardly ever use overrides. At Level 45, I still only have the override from the first Cauldron. Though I think that speaks volumes about the game design that you can choose to ignore a significant feature of the game if you prefer and get the same things accomplished via different means.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

The overrides can be super-powerful. Not only can you, with the proper skills, turn any non-corrupted enemy robot to your side permanently, but it also gets buffed in the process. This buff is enough to let it do some serious damage to other robots before getting killed itself.
Insert witty comment here.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

And...done. :) 40 hours, level 41. That last battle was an absolute bitch, even on Easy. I have no idea how you guys could get past in on a higher difficulty level.

Aloy might be the best heroine we've ever seen in a game (right up alongside Jade from Beyond Good & Evil, at least). She was a certified bad-ass, and the way they portrayed such a strong woman without feeling the need to "sex up" her character (a la Lara Croft) was fantastic. We need more women like her as gaming leads. Lance Reddick deserves a nod for Sylens as well, he was pretty awesome.

I honestly think HZD might be my favorite game of this generation so far. I came in not really expecting to enjoy it (open world games typically aren't my thing), but it ended up being the rare game that had me completely engaged from start to finish. What an amazing surprise, and I can't recommend it enough.
AbleAmazing

Post by AbleAmazing »

Definitely my game of the generation. Aloy is an incredible character experiencing an incredible journey. Can't wait for the expansion.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So I can't seem to bring myself to end the game. I'm level 50 and I've got the final quest queued up, but I keep getting sidetracked by exploring areas with campfires I haven't unlocked...which has led to villages and side quests I missed. I think I've got about 60 hours in the game at this point. :shock:
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I feel your pain hep. I'm in the same boat. Not quite at 60 hours yet but pushing it. I just hit the "point of no return" quest line and backed out to finish up some of my side things. I'm probably further behind than you because I still have a couple of cauldrons to clear.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

YellowKing wrote:I feel your pain hep. I'm in the same boat. Not quite at 60 hours yet but pushing it. I just hit the "point of no return" quest line and backed out to finish up some of my side things. I'm probably further behind than you because I still have a couple of cauldrons to clear.
It really is a marvelous game, one that totally rejuvenated my gaming interest that had been dormant ever since my second kid was born a little over a year ago.

I've now put in around 30 hours since coopasonic sold me his copy once he was done with it. I can't recall the last time a game was so full of so many tense and epic battles, and I'm just playing on the default difficulty. This will likely be the first game since the original Tomb Raider reboot that I go out of my way to get as close to 100% completion as I can.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I seriously recommend visiting every campfire in the game. I've already found a couple of really cool side missions I would've overlooked had I just passed them over.

Odd thing I realized today: I've never once used a rope caster. I love tear arrows way too much, I guess. There's just something so satisfying about dismantling a machine beast from afar.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Aaaannnnnddddd done. 82 hours. I definitely got my money's worth. My pick for GOTY already.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Aaaannnnnddddd done. 82 hours. I definitely got my money's worth. My pick for GOTY already.
Elisabet would be proud! And I don't mean that sarcastically because as I finished the game I was so into Aloy's character I really wanted to do her (Elisabet) proud.

When I first started the game I was wondering why I didn't see an animal larger than a boar. You would have thought that there would be domesticated dogs or real horses to ride and I thought maybe the developers just didn't want to program them into the game. As I went through the game there was a good reason for what I was seeing and kudos to the developers and writers for a job well done. I had never suspected the real reason and I can imagine many a post apocalyptic scenario.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I ended up with 93 percent completion, so I think I may roam around some more and look for the data discs I missed and what not.

But first, I need to start the Jack the Ripper DLC for Assasin's Creed Syndicate.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:I ended up with 93 percent completion, so I think I may roam around some more and look for the data discs I missed and what not.

But first, I need to start the Jack the Ripper DLC for Assasin's Creed Syndicate.
I forget how much of the game I completed and right now I'm bumming around the Andromeda galaxy trying to give folks a new start and figuring out the optimal way to sleep with the most NPCs but I think I'll revisit Zero Dawn to clear out the last few corrupted zones, complete the hunting lodge challenges and grab a few more data discs as well. It's such a fun game I don't mind revisiting even though I'm finished.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I never really spent much time on the hunting challenges. For some reason they just didn't appeal to me. :?
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:I never really spent much time on the hunting challenges. For some reason they just didn't appeal to me. :?
Me neither but I might give them a shot again. The hunting lodge quest line however was a lot of fun. Girrrl power!
Black lives matter!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote:I never really spent much time on the hunting challenges. For some reason they just didn't appeal to me. :?
Me neither. Mainly because I was a terrible shot, and succeeded only by sheer volume of arrows...and Easy difficulty. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...sigh

I'm trying to get back to the Jack the Ripper DLC for Assassin's Creed Syndicate, but I find myself wishing I had a tripcaster, or that a Sawtooth would appear so I could override it and use it to attack Londoners.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finally finished this last night. 100% completion, platinum trophy.

Superb game from start to finish. Even the ending was satisfying.

I think I'm going to take a short break from anything too intense and try to knock out my Telltale Games backlog. Need to run through Tales From the Borderlands, Game of Thrones, and a couple of the Walking Deads.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I need to get back to this. I think I'm fairly close to finishing if I power through the main story-line rather than get distracted by side quests. I have one more cauldron left and I think I've explored most of the map. I still really only use a few weapons though; I don't feel comfortable with anything other than the main bows and the tripwires. It probably has hindered my badassness.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote: I think I'm going to take a short break from anything too intense and try to knock out my Telltale Games backlog. Need to run through Tales From the Borderlands, Game of Thrones, and a couple of the Walking Deads.
So you want to avoid intensity and are going to play the Telltale Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.... we must have different definitions of intense.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Well, that was interesting. On a whim tonight I wandered way up north to a lone vantage point I saw on the map and it was quite the trip. There were flares planted along the path and many machines to kill, including Glinthawks and finally a freaking Stormbird near the top. Get up there and discovered King's Peak and the vantage text is about Eternity chips and "how the world ends". :shock: I'm level 27 and haven't even made it to Meridian yet but from checking online, this seems to be near-the-end-of-the-main-quest-line stuff. Guess it's best to stop trying to find a way into the freaking place and just get myself out to Meridian. :wink:
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

MonkeyFinger wrote:Well, that was interesting. On a whim tonight I wandered way up north to a lone vantage point I saw on the map and it was quite the trip. There were flares planted along the path and many machines to kill, including Glinthawks and finally a freaking Stormbird near the top. Get up there and discovered King's Peak and the vantage text is about Eternity chips and "how the world ends". :shock: I'm level 27 and haven't even made it to Meridian yet but from checking online, this seems to be near-the-end-of-the-main-quest-line stuff. Guess it's best to stop trying to find a way into the freaking place and just get myself out to Meridian. :wink:
Did the exact same thing. And yeah, hold off on that region. You'll be sent there eventually. :wink:
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

:D

Working through a bunch of the Meridan side quests before tracking down Olin... and managed to get killed by a Rockbreaker, sadly something I was underequipped for. Back at it next time, you will be mine vile beast! <shakes fist at sky>
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

DLC coming .... Frozen Wilds
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Sweet... more things to kill me. :wink:

Decided to forego the Rockbreaker for now and move along the main quest.
-mf
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Woot! Completed Maker's End and learned of the existence of something called Project: Zero Dawn, both 8-) and :shock: at the same time.
-mf
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Finished the game last week. Think I had over 70 hours and the game still says I only completed something 60%. Looking forward to the DLC, but honestly felt like the story was resolved pretty sufficiently.
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Sitting at 58 hours and 54.63% complete. Already pre-ordered the DLC and jumped down into my fourth Cauldron (Rho?) late last night but haven't made it to the core yet.
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still drooling to play this waiting on a big sale. There is only 2 games I want on my PS4...this and Uncharted 4.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Now I've "learned the truth" and it is both awesome and terrifying. :shock: Damn. Trying to get back to Mother's Watch...
-mf
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

MonkeyFinger wrote:Big new update today.
Added two new trophies to the game: One for completing New game+ and one for completing New game+ in ultra-hard mode.
I f they take away my platinum trophy I am going to be upset.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I don't think they can... and this adds the two new trophies in a separate section.
-mf
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Just gotta say - what a freaking awesome completely insane character. :D

Nil

Aloy: "The Voice of Our Teeth?" Your bow has a name?
Nil: Yours doesn't?
-mf
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Eh, I never really got much of an attachment to the guy. Doesn't help that I probably missed several interactions with him, only meeting him twice (his introduction and his exit), and that he doesn't really have any character growth to speak of. He strikes me as more of a Far Cry character, and I've never been a fan of those.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I haven't really played much Far Cry, so perhaps that helped. For me he was at every bandit camp, delighted in helping with the mayhem and carrying on conversations in his own special way. Then, once they were all cleared...
Spoiler:
He asked me to meet him at a specific place and, when I got there, wanted to duel to the death. While you can kill him, I declined and he wasn't really very happy about that. However, now that the Big Battle is here, he is happily part of the defenders and looking forward to the "impossible odds". We'll see how that goes... soon. 8-)
I enjoyed the interactions with him.
-mf
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So, does the game "end" after the main story line quest is completed? What I'm reading on the net seems a bit... contradictory so thought I would ask here. Not talking about New Game+, I'm wondering if I can continue to clean up the rest of the map after the Big Bad or should I do all that adventuring and then go back for the nap before the final battle?

Skimmed back over the thread and it seems the answer is yes, it does go on - but confirmation would be appreciated. Thanks!
-mf
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm pretty sure it does, though I believe what happens is that you start just before you initiated the last mission, but with any experience gained. This is based off memory, though, so take it with a bit of a grain of salt.
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Keep in mind that side quests may have an impact on what happens during the final battle, and will affect whether or not you get a certain trophy. For that reason you might want to finish up everything else before you end the story, even if you can continue playing afterwards.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Interesting... I've finished quite a number of side quests and are at Lvl 48 with all kinds of familiar faces there to help me... but haven't quite worked up the nerve to do the whole "NO WAY BACK" thing. Thanks, think I'll go check for that trophy and save a few more souls first. :wink:

Ah, "Hunting for the Lodge" I haven't done for the trophy mentioned.
-mf