Sega Genesis some of my favorite games

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Sega Genesis some of my favorite games

Post by Daehawk »

Just a bit about the games I loved on my favorite system ever. I would love to kick myself for selling my Genesis and SNES.

Enlarge Image
My all time favorite favorite so to say. I never owned any games but rented them. This one took more money than any other. I finished it at least 15 times. Was really disappointed when I found it and pt2 for PC :) Genesis really made old PC games look great.

Enlarge Image
Still to this day the only Buck Rogers game I got to play. It was true to the D&D style and was pretty complicated for a console game.

Enlarge Image
Another of the multi rentals. Just could not get enough tank sim gaming. Very detailed and the graphics were amazing...well for the times. Even had speech.

Enlarge Image
I admit this one got the best of me. After multiple rentals I never finished it. In fact I got stuck at the same spot every go. I just could not find what to do next within my 2 or 3 day rental lol.

Enlarge Image
Both Genesis and SNES had their own version of Shadowrun and both were entirely different in story and game play. But they were both cyberpunk and had guns and that was enough to get me to rent them both many times :) Shadowrun was the type game I wished for more of. Consoles always had way too many cutsie kiddy games and I guess thats why in the end I gave up on consoles until Xbox 360 and now PS4.

Enlarge Image
I know I know....my favorite RPG was not on the SNES.....dont hate me. This was an amazing game to me because not only was it an RPG it was a sci-fi one. The view system is my favorite also. For a console game of the time it was also a very large game world and the story was cool.

Enlarge Image
Cant mention Sega Genesis and not show a Road Rash game. I loved both but Im using the first as the art because to me Id never played a game like this one. Many weapon types, on a motorcycle, and you could upgrade bikes and such. Too much fun and too many late all nighters.

Enlarge Image
Finally the game that got me into the Genesis to start with. Also think its the very first game in this genre. Least I cant recall one before it. Taking sites, flying in backup, fighting an enemy just like you with the same access to units. Was pretty damn tough on higher difficulty or maybe it was just a single difficulty. Been a long time now :)

And yes it has been a long time...22 years in fact. I got a PC in 1994 and gave up my consoles. They just could not compete. But Id love to have them back now to play again. I look every so often but prices are actually more now than when new lol. Ill maybe add more as time goes by.

So who else loved Genesis and has some stories or game picks to post? Because you know that Genesis does what Nintendon't. :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Re: Sega Genesis some of my favorite games

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I remember Herzog Zwei and I'm pretty sure it's the game that kicked off the RTS genre, or at least one of the games that set the foundation for them. I played it, but not as much as some of my other friends. What I do remember playing the hell out of was ToeJam and Earl - mainly because of the co-op option. I think we also played Zombies Ate My Neighbors, but I might be mixing that up with the SNES. That was during college so it all sort of blurs together.

Apparently there's a device coming out in October that's similar to what NES is releasing (also in the Fall) that I just found here. Looks like they've done this before to mixed reviews, but it looks like it might be possible to regain some of yourlost childhood young adulthood second childhood. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

http://retroproducts.atgames.net/index. ... e-console/

No must have games there like on the NES, and apparently half of the games are not Sega classics, but homebrew crap. Also, the emulation is wonky with messed up sound per multiple reviews.
Included Games
• Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
• Alien Storm
• Altered Beast
• Arrow Flash
• Bonanza Bros.
• Chakan: The Forever Man
• Columns
• Columns III
• Comix Zone
• Crack Down
• Decap Attack
• Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
• Ecco
• Ecco Jr
• ESWAT: City Under Seige
• Fatal Labyrinth
• Flicky
• Gain Ground
• Golden Axe
• Golden Axe II
• Golden Axe III
• Jewel Master
• Kid Chameleon
• Ristar
• Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
• Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
• Streets Of Rage1
• Streets Of Rage2
• Streets Of Rage3
• Sonic & Knuckles
• Sonic Spinball
• Sonic the Hedgehog
• Sonic the Hedgehog II
• The Ooze
• Vectorman
• Vectorman II
• Virtua Fighter II
• Cross the road
• Jack’s Pea
• Jewel Magic
• Curling 2010
• Mahjong Solitaire
• Warehouse Keeper
• Chess
• Memory
• Snake
• Air Hockey
• Spider
• Naval Power
• Mr. Balls
• Cannon
• Fight or Lose
• Bottle Taps Race
• Bomber
• Checker
• Hexagonos
• Reaction Match
• Whack-A-Wolf
• Mirror Mirror
• Memory Match
• Treasure Hunt
• Sparkling Truffle
• Fire Fly Glow
• Panic Lift
• Black Sheep
• Air Hockey
• Space Hunter
• Table Magic
• Color Puzzle
• Brain Switch
• Mega Brain Switch
• Bulls and Cows
• Logic Dial
• Match Eleven
• Formula Challenge
• Sudoku Quiz
• Dominant Color
• Mortal Kombat I
• Mortal Kombat II
• Mortal Kombat III
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Looks like a lot of the games are from the original Sega system rather than the Genesis. Definitely not the best collection of games.

I became obsessed with getting a Genesis after learning that it would have Golden Axe. My brother and I convinced a friend to buy our NES so we could get the Genesis, but our dad wouldn't allow us to sell the NES because he didn't think the Genesis would last (maybe he was burned by Betamax...). Then my friend got the Genesis instead and I was super jealous.

We did get one eventually, though. I think my favorite games were Herzog Zwei, Phantasy Star II, Golden Axe (of course), Strider, and Shining Force II. I'm not sure how any of those games would hold up now, though...
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I loved my Genesis.

M1-Abrams Battle Tank was a multiple rental, I loved that game.

Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf was one of my most played games. While I had played NES golf games, Arnold Palmer was the first one I got REALLY good at. I was so good that I could birdie/eagle every hole no matter what the wind conditions - I was totally locked into that game.

I owned ESWAT but I sucked at it really hard. Never beat it.

Shadowrun was another constant rental. We were playing the tabletop RPG at the same time, so we were all about that game.

My favorite Genesis memory, however, was Sonic the Hedgehog. My friend and I rode up to Toys R Us on our bikes and bought it. This was a HUGE purchase at the time - that was a shitload of money for me. I was a sophomore in high school and if I was working at the time, it was a minimum wage job.

We brought it back and loaded it into the Genesis that was hooked into my grandparents' crappy ancient TV. When the SEGA logo came up and voices actually sang "Saayyy----gaaaa" my friend and I flipped out. We spent the rest of the day playing it, and at the time I thought it may have been the best game ever created. Oh my Lord the amount of hours I spent on that game over that summer.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I completely forgot about the game I probably played most on the Genesis: John Madden Football!

Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I had the Sega Channel and I played every game on there. I think you got access to 50 games a month or so.

I had it right up until the service folded.

Loved that thing, worth the $15 a month...
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Looks like a lot of the games are from the original Sega system rather than the Genesis. Definitely not the best collection of games.
actually they are the emulated Genesis versions, not the SMS versions (tho the SMS did have a ton of Genesis ports). but like coopasonic said, half of them are homebrew titles that didn't exist back in the late 80s - mid 90s.

i never had a Genesis/MegaDrive - had to go to the next-door neighbor's house to play it.

favorites (not including any ports of computer games):

Sonic the Hedgehog - first one was the best. played it a LOT...
Kid Chameleon - super difficult, but very deep for a platformer at the time
Revenge of Shinobi & Shinobi III - Shadow Dancer just wasn't as good.
Streets of Rage 2 - the first had better music, but the second had better gameplay
Toejam & Earl - a great game for goofing around in. really need someone else to play with to get the most out of it.
Gain Ground - this was actually a good arcade port, in that it was just as much fun to play on the console.
Altered Beast - kind of not a great arcade port...
Space Harrier II - also not a fantastic port. you had to take what you got.
Last Battle - this was a Fist of the North Star game in Japan. ok, this launch title is pretty bad, but i had fun with it
Road Rash series - motorcycle racing/combat. there never was a good equivalent for PC
Mick & Mack as the Global Gladiators - stupid McDonalds license; solid gameplay
Thunder Force series - some of the best shmups on the Genesis
Rolling Thunder 3 - fun platformer
Growl! - another surprisingly good arcade port. brutalize animal poachers, what's not to love...
Flicky - total budget-bin port of a 1984 coin-op, but surprisingly fun
Midnight Resistance - side-scroller shooter in the vein of Contra/Super C, not too bad
Comix Zone - you have to play it to see how neat this is. also the newest game on this list.
Wolfchild - decent 2D platformer, if i remember correctly. (the only differences between the cartridge and Sega CD version were the longer loading times and better music on the latter)

games i got into much later:

Ristar - very good platformer that came out late in the Genesis' lifespan
Vectorman series - another latter-day platformer that's technically impressive
Gunstar Heroes - nice frantic side-scroller shooter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After I had a Genesis I went back and rented the Mega Drive. Thought it was a horrible machine. Games were old of course but the controller really hurt my hands.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

My local retro gaming store sells Sega Genesis game systems, and cartridges.

Is there anything keeping you from buying one off of Ebay? From what I've seen they can be
priced pretty inexpensive.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Money. That and it has the be the exact one like I had. Thats a CORE system in the blue box and the system itself needs to be a model 1 version 1. thats the one with the HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS words around the top of it.

This is the box
Enlarge Image

This is the right system
Enlarge Image
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

I actually still have my Genesis (with 32x!) sitting right next to me, though I doubt I'll ever use it again. I am however still using the original, official six button controller (with USB adapter) to play Genesis games on my PC. Ah, nostalgia.

Some of my favorites:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors - Probably my favorite 16 bit game ever.
Aladdin, Lion King, and The Jungle Book - Fantastic Disney platformers (especially Aladdin)
Bubsy - Great platformer with a great sense of humor. Interesting momentum physics. Very difficult later levels. The sequel did nothing for me.
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - Competitive tetris/bejeweled. Tons of fun.
Ghostbusters - Fun, great music, but quite difficult. That last level was just unfair.
Gunstar Heroes - Didn't really love the subject matter, but it's a blast in coop mode.
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Came with the system and I was promptly obsessed. Best Sonic game ever.
Desert Strike and Jungle Strike - I haven't played these in forever, but I remember loving them. Piloting helicopters, blowing shit up, rescuing people.
Sunset Riders - I played this one more than Gunstar just because I liked the subject matter more. Coop mode is great. Don't think I ever got past the Indian level.
Alien 3 - One of the very few decent Alien games from that era.
Bimini Run - Probably an awful game, but I loved it as a kid. In coop one person steers the boat, the other shoots the weapons. Nice soundtrack. Kenji, come in!
Ristar - I don't know if this was made by the Sonic team, but I recall it using the same engine I think. Great, underrated platformer.
Toejam & Earl - One of the best coop games on the system. Laid back, goofy fun with an unbelievably catchy soundtrack.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote:After I had a Genesis I went back and rented the Mega Drive. Thought it was a horrible machine. Games were old of course but the controller really hurt my hands.
you mean the Master System. (the Mega Drive was the name for the Genesis in the rest of the world that was not the Americas)

i am actually thinking of getting a used Master System...
BooTx wrote: Desert Strike and Jungle Strike - I haven't played these in forever, but I remember loving them. Piloting helicopters, blowing shit up, rescuing people.
oh yeah, these were good. i'm pretty sure Renegade Ops was inspired by these titles.
Friki

Post by Friki »

Nice list, i had Double Dragon, a weird football (soccer) i can't remember the name and Ghost Busters.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, I remember Herzog Zwei and I'm pretty sure it's the game that kicked off the RTS genre, or at least one of the games that set the foundation for them. I played it, but not as much as some of my other friends.
We picked it up for like six bucks at Toys R Us because I guess it didn't sell and no one knew what it was. It quickly became the only reason for Andy to own his Genesis.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Had one in the early 90's, but I grew up with Intellivision, so the library wasn't great. Here's what we played:

Mortal Combat

Enlarge Image

Also rented Shining Force II a couple of times, which was my first jrpg (mostly only) experience, but extremely addictive at the time:

Enlarge Image
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The best Genesis game of all time is also the best sports game of all time.