Uncharted series.....thoughts as I play them

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Uncharted series.....thoughts as I play them

Post by Daehawk »

Unfortunately I just thought to create this thread right now as I finished the first game. Maybe from now on Ill remember to post as I go :)

Uncharted 1 Drakes Fortune.
This game is exactly what I thought it would be.....a mix of Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider. It has a mix of tombs and ruins and such that both share along with their gun play. Probably a lot more gun play. And he has better friends than Lara. Ive never played any of these before. I never owned a Playstation before. But I had heard about the games. Always had good word of mouth from what I recall but I had no interests in them since I lacked the system. So thats my experience with them up until now. I was able to get the Collection which is games 1,2,and 3 for less than $20. Comes on 1 dvd.

I didn't look up when the game was released until now and see it was 2007. I knew it was on one of the older PS systems and thought it actually looked good to be an older title. So for the positives and negatives....actually I wouldn't say negatives because the game was thoroughly enjoyable...more quirks ..lets say. As said the graphics were fine. I enjoyed the characters a lot especially Drake cause he is a great adventurer character and can be downright funny at times. His friends were good too and actually helpful at times. They all fit together well. I had a great time from start to finish. Also it was nice that in the end he actually came away with something instead of being as broke as when he started :)

I was surprised though that the story of his ancestor was wrapped up within this first game. I was expecting it to be a thread to follow in all the games. Also it ended quicker than I thought it would. Before I noticed it start to wrap up I was thinking I had a couple more days of play rather than hours. Maybe my biggest disappointment was the small amount of guns. Its basically a shoot'm'up adventure and yet I came away feeling it needed a lot more variety in the weapons I could use. Also it did have strange quirks in it. Sometimes I was not allowed to jump to a ledge 3 feet from me and a lot of times I would reach one I should never be able to reach by this weird jump then kinda float quirk where I got places that looked too far. It wasn't a bug it was made that way but it never failed to grab my attention when it did it. Lastly I could have done with more locations as really the entire game took place on one single island.

Overall out of 10 I'd give it a good 7.5 and maybe an 8. Ok story but a great adventure with a great character cast.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to say this game had that same stupid thing that Tomb Raider always had...the main tomb or treasure was in a room without a roof and could have been reached by helicopter the entire time. Its kinda irksome to spend over an hour in a tomb to get there only to look up and see the opening up top. And a helicopter is always my thought. Made me laugh when low and behold one showed up in the game lol.

And 1/3 of my kills were head shots. :)..Most all with a pistol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scraper

Re: Uncharted series.....thoughts as I play them

Post by Scraper »

If I had to rank the Uncharted games from best to worst I would go with 4,2,1,3. With 4 being the best. None of them are actually bad, 2 is really good and part 4 takes everything good about the first 3 and polishes the hell out of them into a really good game.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I had never played any of them before, so I grabbed the Uncharted Collection a few months back. Thought UC1 was awful, but finished it anyways just so I had context for the next games, which I heard were better. UC2 was better, but still didn't grab me much. It had a few exciting moments, but overall I gave it maybe a 7/10. Started UC3 and simply got bored about halfway through and never finished it. Haven't tried UC4 yet, will probably pick it up when the price drops significantly.

Apparently Uncharted is just not a series for me. Which is odd, as I have absolutely loved the new Tomb Raider games, which have a very similar style and gameplay.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I also thought UC1 wasn't great. Not terrible, but pretty ho-hum, by the numbers action game. But I loved UC2. Maybe it would be different if I played it now since Tomb Raider and others have sort of copied that formula, but at the time it was one of the most compelling action games I had played. I never played UC3 since I had read the mixed reviews. I'll probably get UC4 when I can find it for under $20.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Maybe it would be different if I played it now since Tomb Raider and others have sort of copied that formula, but at the time it was one of the most compelling action games I had played.
I think there's a lot to that, tbh. Like many games, that formula was mind-blowingly original when it came out, but as it gets copied and improved upon (like the TR series has done), the original starts to look very stale as a result. I didn't have the benefit of any nostalgia for the series, which I'm sure didn't help my opinion any.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

UC2 is where the series starts to soar. In fact, it felt like a much better Indiana Jones than what came of Indy 4. They even had a bit of pre-release hype featuring Harrison Ford playing the 3rd one.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive started UC2 now. I gotta say that silly jumping and floating over to too far away ledges is jarring me out of the game every time. Wish it was a little more realistic in that area.

Not sure who the new girl is but love Claudia Black so Im good wit her :) . She looks like the same one from the UC5 trailer.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

UC3..I just found Shambala and it's F'N REDICULOUS!!

I came through 20 puzzles and multiple traps and end up high on a snow covered mountain only to get to Shambala and its nice and warm with no snow and the sun shining in from the sky! Why couldn't I just fly here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These games. Sometimes...ARGH.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

UC3-

Thanks to the beginning I already hate it . Was having some fun there at the start with the bar fight. Then suddenly it makes me stupid and inept just to point the story in the right direction. I beat the shit out of 20 guys inside the bar but as soon as I go outside one guy kicks my ass then the bad girl of the game gloats over me which I hate then I get shot. What was a promising start ended up simply pissing me off so much I shut it off and quit. When a game takes away my ability to do what I was doing easy just a moment before I get mad.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This game series has gotten so predictable. I can guess 100% of the time when something is going to happen and what it is. Just now I said as soon as I exit this room the bad guy will be there and take my item. .BINGO! ...If I was Drake I would never go on another adventure ever because they all go the same way. That or kill everyone.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Daehawk wrote:This game series has gotten so predictable. I can guess 100% of the time when something is going to happen and what it is. Just now I said as soon as I exit this room the bad guy will be there and take my item. .BINGO! ...If I was Drake I would never go on another adventure ever because they all go the same way. That or kill everyone.
Lol, I guess they would get that way if you played them all back to back instead of waiting the few years between releases.

As I pointed out earlier part 3 is easily the weakest of the bunch. Part 4 is easily the best, so get through part 3 and then maybe take a break from the series for a while before you play part 4.
FTE
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im still near the beginning. Usually the bad guys find us because we leave some clue behind while being shot at or captured. This time though Nate took all the items. He even mentions that when they got away that they left nothing behind for them to follow with. Yet as soon as I get the that French castle there are the bad guys and I hear them muttering about the other team in Syria.

So just how did they figure that all out with no clues and no items?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Game jarring again. This time a bad guy appeared and did something...which I can only assume is for later in the game...but he walked around a corner and disappeared. Now if that stone wall held a secret passage then I could accept it..but there is nothing there and Drake, Chloe, and Sully ...none of them mention it or what happened. I mean Im looking for a secret passage right there and the bad guy poofs into solid stone and Drake doesn't even look for the passage? Doesn't even mention it? I found the one I was looking for not 10 feet from that wall. Thats just not acceptable.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was just about to complain about us dropping our guns all the time. Bad guy will have a gun on us and we'll have ours on them...and who drops their guns every time? Yup us good guys. So sick of in games especially this series.

But then it surprised me with something out of the blue. So not mad..kinda happy about it actually :P
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Now at the spot where Nate finds the planetarium. No idea why Drake himself stopped here and went home. It was nothing special.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nate can be fooled so damn easy. Nathan 'Gullible Boy' Drake
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok just finished UC3 and have a couple questions. Ill spoiler them both because they have to do with the end and the game is a more recent release than the first two were.
Spoiler:
1. Why is there really no supernatural stuff to this UC? You never see the Jins except in a drugged state that isn't real. In other UC games you actually saw the crap hit the fan with the supernatural. But here the Jins dont get released. Is it because they would just be too powerful for the world? ......and 2. and most import...who the hell was that Arab like bad guy? Or what was he? I mean he can appear and disappear through solid rock walls and seems damn immortal after all the times he got shot in the game. It never seemed to explain a thing about him. How did he do the wall trick and why was he seemingly immortal? Even at the end I shot him in the head all it just makes him dizzy enough to fall to his supposed death. What gives? He is a very curious part of the game to me.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Overall, I felt UC3 didn't have a story as well thought-out as the previous. It had too many plotholes and broken game mechanics. What did you think about the ending? Pretty anti-climactic, isn't it? I actually liked the challenge of the boss fight in UC2 and I was waiting for some build up to some epic battle. but fizzle fizzle.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had more trouble with 2 area right before the end than the end itself. i was expecting to have a huge problem or battle only to have it flash by and be easy.

I really thought with Lawrence of Arabia stuff and a desert it would be a better game that it came out as.

I still prefer the first game the best . So 1 2 then 3 are my order or likes.

I dont own 4 ...yet.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I thought the setpieces were good, but the gameplay left a lot to be desired. The level on the ship was brilliant, and so was the building on fire. I felt the story just never really came together.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Question...but a quick Uncharted history of me.

Huge Indiana Jones and Lara Croft fan. Had heard of these games but had no way to play them so was disinterested. Until I got my PS4 in 2015. One day I saw the Uncharted 4 trailer and thought it looked amazing so got the Uncharted trilogy on blue ray. Played the heck out of them and finished all three games up while waiting on Uncharted 4 to arrive.

When it did I had no money ....same old story. But I was able to pick it up last month for Christmas time thanks to sales. Im playing it right now. Actually just met Sully again.

Ok thats my Uncharted history...heres my question.

Should I try to get Uncharted: The Lost Legacy? I wasn't hugely interested in it. Had a fear it might suck due to them saying they were not making more Uncharted and then making this one. Seemed a money grab. But stuff Ive read seem to indicate a great game in it. I also read its like a addon in a way to Uncharted 4 that Im just now playing.

I love Chloe a lot because she is a fun character in her own way and is voiced by the amazing Claudia Black who I adore so much. So is Uncharted: The Lost Legacy a good fit for me?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im now reminded of the part of these games I hate. The 'for the sake of story' stuff.

Nate can kick 50 guys asses all the time .....unless its a story thing then a girl can beat the shit out of him.

Which brings up why the hell cant Nate block during fights??

Then theres the wife. Doesn't he realize she is a target. He should have her with him or hid or at least told the truth.

Why dont the bad guys know this??

And last...so far.....Sully says something like "Raif knows you're on your way to Scotland"...just how does he know this?? He has no idea what was in that cross he never got his hands on. Why instantly would he know Im coming to Scotland?

This is the same crap that bugged me about the other Uncharted games. I loved them but man did the stupid 'for the sake of story' stuff piss me the hell off badly. Bout broke my controller just now.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:33 am Should I try to get Uncharted: The Lost Legacy?
IMHO - Yes, absolutely. I ended up playing it before A Thief's End so didn't know who Nadine Ross or Shoreline were but it didn't detract from the game in the end. Then it was fun to meet them for the 'first time' in UC4. 8-)
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just met her. Nice lady. Very polite. Very animated. :evil:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wow I can save anywhere NICE!

Ok Im just at the cemetery but Im LOVING this one. I think it all comes down to being with my brother. Well in game brother anyways. They really did a great job with the interaction of these two. Its not simply me doing stuff and a npc running around with me. They constantly talk and comment of stuff and argue. I dont think it has anything to do with me losing my real life brother but you never know. I just find it very fun to have a talkative companion with me. Being my brother is even better. Hope nothing happens to them. I get the feeling it wont in the end. Loving it so far!

Also seeing different parts of the world is nice rather than being stuck in one place the entire game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have so much trouble with games these days in Ill love it and be having a blast then instantly Ill run int oa wall. A part where its almost impossible to get through and it kills my interest. Sometimes I quit and never return to the game. I LOVE this game but Im stuck in a place filled with bad guys who when they see me all shoot me and if I sneak I get caught then shot. Been here 2 days. Not fun in the least. Not sure why devs think these parts are a good idea.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

One more run in with that bitch whore Nadine and Im going to break my PC I swear it. Thats the thing I hated about the first game the second game the third game and now the fourth game....scripted bullshit. Pure bullshit. the bitch can beat the shit out of me and my brother simply because its in the script. the same guys who hang and climb from walls all day and night and can fight off 20 guys gets their asses kicked by one girl. Makes me mad enough to spit. the other thing that I hate on these games for is when they do find something that will que the bad guys showing up and ruining it all. granted in this series they do actually get something unlike the Croft games...but once I like to find a treasure horde and KEEP it all.

The worst of worst is I wont get to kill Nadine the whore because she is in the other game I know. And then that alone will keep me from ever playing....Miss Gottabebadass.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Uncharted 4 is the best of the series by far I think. Its always disheartening when a company makes the best game ever or the best in a series and calls it their last of that series. With UC4 its the best of them all and they say its the end of Drake and crew. yes they made the one with Chloe but its not Nathan. Feels like they are shooting themselves in the foot. maybe they think customers will burn out on them. I do burn out but not on Drake. the graphics, the humor, and most of all the stories are what keep me happy. I love this Indiana Jones feel with in my mind is Nathan Fillion as lead character lol. I know its not him but might as well be.

Hope they do make another one. The pirate setting of this one was SO good. Much better than the other stories.

UC4>UC1>UC2>UC3
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I really enjoy adventuring with my brother in this. Wish we could get another full game of just me and him.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still lovin this game and story. The story keeps me going. These super difficult spots annoy me to no end but its worth it. When I got to the pirate feast table it made me smile really big. Kinda reminded me of The Goonies. I find myself admiring how the map is set up and that a house or part has survived 300 years then I tell myself its a game duh. But its well put together. Not a random bunch of stuff thrown together to make a obstacle. Someone took time to think of house a house would be then deconstructed it through those 300 years it feels like.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:25 am One more run in with that bitch whore Nadine and Im going to break my PC I swear it. Thats the thing I hated about the first game the second game the third game and now the fourth game....scripted bullshit. Pure bullshit. the bitch can beat the shit out of me and my brother simply because its in the script. the same guys who hang and climb from walls all day and night and can fight off 20 guys gets their asses kicked by one girl. Makes me mad enough to spit. the other thing that I hate on these games for is when they do find something that will que the bad guys showing up and ruining it all. granted in this series they do actually get something unlike the Croft games...but once I like to find a treasure horde and KEEP it all.

The worst of worst is I wont get to kill Nadine the whore because she is in the other game I know. And then that alone will keep me from ever playing....Miss Gottabebadass.
If those are your feelings on Nadine and the bad guys always showing up right when you find the treasure then you REALLY should avoid Lost Legacy.
FTE
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Finished. Really great. Loved the ending for the most part. When I saw the ship at the end I figured Goonies lol. I think it could have ended with Sully and them going home at the end instead of adding the epilogue but it was ok actually too. I clicked on the item that starts the final cut scene without checking more of the 2nd house or the boat at all so that sucked a little not seeing it all. had to try to catch those parts on YT videos.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If you're late enough to the party, stuff get remastered before you play it. Got the Uncharted 1, 2, 3 bundle for PS4. So far it is the best tomb raider game since Lara Croft stopped raiding tombs. Will see if UC 4 is out on PC by the time I finish.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

First thought on UC 1:

There is an awful lot of combat. I do like how health is handled, when you get the gray screen you just run away for a few seconds, no dicking around with health packs.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finished UC 1 and am now on UC 2. Besides the improved graphics the controls seem much less wonky. I was consistently dying in UC 1 on routine jumps and running off the side of platforms.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, the one thing they improved greatly between the first and second games were the controls. Though, I think the remasters might have made them more consistent.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I finished Game 2 and it was moderately satisfying. Game 3 again improved the graphics. It starts with some heavy brawling action and a lot of cut scenes. Hope those dwindle as I progress.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finished Game 3. Best part was you could throw grenades back at enemies.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I know Uncharted - Legacy of Thieves has been on Steam for a while, but I've been avoiding it because it's not really the start of the series, right?

Am I missing anything by not playing the original 5 (?) games first? To be clear, unless they're remastered and released on Steam I wouldn't be playing the originals and so I'm assuming it was expected people would either jump in at this point or the older ones are mechanically meh being from a different era of gaming.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, I think it's an unfortunate decision that the collection only includes the 4th game and its expansion without also porting over the trilogy, which had already gotten remastered on the PS4, so it's not as if they don't already have better versions. But IMHO, I do think it matters. While the 4th game is great on its own merits, it's introducing PC players to the series at the tail-end, a series which has had lots of history with its characters over the course of the games. Yeah, you'd still be able to enjoy the game, but you'd also lose out on a lot of the context and inside jokes.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti