[Squenix] The Avengers Project

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Teaser
Marvel Entertainment and Square Enix announced today a multi-year, multi-game partnership, leading with the reveal of The Avengers project. This newly established partnership pairs the creative minds at Marvel and Square Enix for one of the most powerful alliances in interactive entertainment.

A game based on beloved Marvel heroes, The Avengers project is being crafted by Crystal Dynamics – longtime developers of the award winning Tomb Raider series – in collaboration with lauded Deus Ex developer Eidos-Montréal.

The Avengers project is being designed for gamers worldwide and will be packed with all the characters, environments, and iconic moments that have thrilled longtime fans of the franchise. Featuring a completely original story, it will introduce a universe gamers can play in for years to come. More details on The Avengers project and other games will be announced in 2018
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Re: [Squenix] The Avengers Project

Post by coopasonic »

That's... not a lot of information.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Gamespot
Crystal Dynamics just opened a new studio in Bellevue, Washington. Called Crystal Northwest, the studio is initially focusing on technology development and work on The Avengers Project, a highly-anticipated Crystal Dynamics game based on the Marvel comics.
The Avengers Project was first announced via trailer in January 2017. Since then, Crystal Dynamics hasn't mentioned much about the new game. It was rumored and then confirmed that Shaun Escayg is The Avengers Project's creative director. Visceral Games veteran Stephan Barry was also hired by Crystal Dynamics as the game's director. However, other than the letting us know who's behind The Avenger's Project, Crystal Dynamics hasn't revealed any concrete details about the game.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:28 pm That's... not a lot of information.
What more do you need than that it's being designed for gamers worldwide? You are a gamer in the world, are you not?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jag

Post by Jag »

Maybe they used the stunt doubles as models.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

From a financial standpoint, people should understand the reasoning behind changing the looks of the characters for this game. I may be incorrect, but if a character even resembles the actor, they get paid for its use...never mind an exact copy of their face.

The argument stating the models look "bad"...I guess that's personal preference. Peter Parker in Spider-Man PS4...resembles no other incarnation.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Buatha wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:41 am Peter Parker in Spider-Man PS4...resembles no other incarnation.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Nope. Nobody at all.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I didn't even think of Garfield when playing the game...but again, it's subjective, I guess.

I believe they might have gone a bit too far to distance themselves from the strong mental pictures of the characters today based on the MCU, but I'm not "turned off" from trying out the game based on these characters. I've always thought Square's characters were a bit odd-looking in general :)
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Buatha wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:41 am From a financial standpoint, people should understand the reasoning behind changing the looks of the characters for this game. I may be incorrect, but if a character even resembles the actor, they get paid for its use...never mind an exact copy of their face.
It's likely also a completely different license.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

At least Aunt May looks better than Heidi Watney from MLB The Show 19.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

The character models didn't bother me much, but I was really underwhelmed by the trailer. It really felt like a bland movie sequel tie-in. I really am enjoying Spider-man in my limited time playing it so far, but really disappointed with this Avengers take. The only thing I heard that I liked was the promise of future heroes, and a building or changing team as the game goes on. Otherwise, very ho-hum IMO.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:03 pm
Buatha wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:41 am From a financial standpoint, people should understand the reasoning behind changing the looks of the characters for this game. I may be incorrect, but if a character even resembles the actor, they get paid for its use...never mind an exact copy of their face.
It's likely also a completely different license.
It's the Avengers, Marvel owns them, what other license could it be? Does anyone else have an Avenger's video game license?

PS, Captain America's had too many cheeseburgers in that image
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The argument stating the models look "bad"...I guess that's personal preference. Peter Parker in Spider-Man PS4...resembles no other incarnation.
I'm certain everyone understands that reasoning, but whether they accept the end result of that reasoning is a totally different thing. Money or not, they should have used the actors images and voices, IMO.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't know. I do know that sometimes the rights to film interpretations are much more complex than the rights to the underlying material, and often includes multiple elements being controlled by different entities. It may or may not be that. It is a possibility, though.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I don’t hate it. I would like to see some gameplay, however.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I live to serve. :wink:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not bad.

Thank you.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It definitely looks better than what was originally reported. It's still jarring to not see the likeness of the actors that played the roles, but not as jarring as when it was first announced.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Having a different timeline and set of supporting characters and villains will certainly help.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The public beta is this weekend (21-23 Aug), with a preload available today. As far as I can tell, by "public" they actually mean "everyone who pre-purchases the game."

Last edited by Max Peck on Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

No, I think tomorrow is the open beta. Pre-order beta was staggered dates before now. I could be wrong though.

I'm hoping to try it out. I've read one or two comparisons to the old Marvel Heroes, which I enjoyed. So we'll see.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

They're calling it open, but I didn't see any way to download the beta (on Steam, anyway) other than by pre-ordering the game. It's entirely possible I missed something, though.

Edit: And yes, I just checked again and I did miss something. There is a separate store entry for the open beta. My bad...

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I just found the pre-load. It's a separate entry in steam. If you search for Avengers, you'll see the beta come up. I'm installing the 27GB now.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I played the closed beta last weekend and really enjoyed it. Especially the Hulk - it really had the feeling of the big green guy wreaking havoc. Ms. Marvel was pretty cool as well.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

From my very limited play time this morning, it's very choppy on my PC. I went into settings, which seemed to be set on the high side, and lowered some of the fancy options. This left the graphics still very pretty in my eyes, but performance somewhat better. It was still uneven though.

Gameplay seems fine, but uninspired. It might be because of the tech issues that the game never got into a rhythm for me. The flow of action would be interrupted by pauses. So I'm thinking I'll check the PS4 version and see if things are better there. If I end up buying the game, it has the Spiderman exclusive anyway.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Will anyone be trying the beta on Xbox tonight /this weekend?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This game looks like a failure but I downloaded the beta to try it. It turned off my wallpaper engine and removed my desktop wallpaper then told me it needed win 10 to run. So instant delete.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:50 pm This game looks like a failure but I downloaded the beta to try it. It turned off my wallpaper engine and removed my desktop wallpaper then told me it needed win 10 to run. So instant delete.
Putting aside the wallpaper engine part, were you surprised that it requires Win10? If you aren't running Win10, why are you even looking at new games?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You're going to find that a lot more often. Asking developers to ignore every new feature in the last five years, and ignore all the driver updates in that time isn't realistic. And that's not getting into the security risks of no updates in that time.

And Win10 is a solid OS.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Win10 is a privacy nightmare and I also could barely use it on my wife's laptop a couple years ago. Dont like it . Will wait for future stuff in 4 or so years when I may change PCs totally. Its ok that stuff wont play.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

or run most things under Wine/Proton in Linux - don't even have to deal with Microsoft and OS data collection/ads anymore (tho there are some games with anti-cheat/DRM that won't run)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I would argue that Win10's built in privacy issues (most of which can be disabled in about a minute) is less of a concern than the privacy nightmare of exposing your entire system to the wild west of the internet by not having protection against the last five years of threats.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Blackhawk wrote:I would argue that Win10's built in privacy issues (most of which can be disabled in about a minute) is less of a concern than the privacy nightmare of exposing your entire system to the wild west of the internet by not having protection against the last five years of threats.
This.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Can't we keep this discussion in the Microsoft Flight Simulator thread where it belongs?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:50 pm This game looks like a failure
Dude, seriously, what gives? You haven't made a positive comment about a game in forever. Not every game sucks.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Looks great...for console. I’m just wondering why a game like this took so long considering the popularity of Marvel movies in the past decade.

My son and I have had tons of fun playing the Marvel LEGO games on PS3/4 and I always wondered why they didn’t replicate the success and fun of those games with “real” versions. This seems to be that game, and unless the reviews pan it, will definitely be picking it up.

Now someone please make a Star Wars game like this! As amazing a game as Battlefront II is, I still cannot for the life of me play a FPS on console.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

gbasden wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:06 am
Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:50 pm This game looks like a failure
Dude, seriously, what gives? You haven't made a positive comment about a game in forever. Not every game sucks.
Just looks bad. Same old power sets and animation from older stuff. The graphics are horrible. No one looks like themselves. Just seems cheap.

I like some stuff. Still really looking forward to Cyberpunk . I cant get it or run it but think its amazing.
naednek

Post by naednek »

played the first story mission. Was fun. Don't think it would be a day one purchase, but at some point I'd be interested in buying it\playing it.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"