My PS account was stolen

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

My PS account was stolen

Post by Daehawk »

Woke up to an email saying my login / userID had been changed and did I do it . Great. No I didn't. But I dont trust emails and never click links so tried to go to my account on both PC and PS4...both were wrong sign in so yep somehow someone hacked my login..not pass but the actual email login. So even if I tried to redo it it would just send that stuff to the hackers email.

I called them and they fixed it within about 10 min. Nothing was changed by the asshat or anything purchased.

Still though they either couldn't or wouldn't tell me how it happened so Im worried it could again. Im going to see if I can add this crappy free cell phone of my wife's and get a text code if it happens again. Surely they cant get that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Re: My PS account was stolen

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Still though they either couldn't or wouldn't tell me how it happened so Im worried it could again.
Probably "couldn't". There are too many ways it could have happened, from an actual hack (least likely), to an insecure password, to signing in on a compromised PC, to the password being used elsewhere with the same email address on a site that got compromised, to someone looking over your shoulder, to social engineering.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

an actual hack - possible

insecure password - really good one

signing in on a compromised PC - only mine and I run a lot to keep it safe

password being used elsewhere - very very possible

someone looking over your shoulder - will keep an eye on my wife

social engineering - dont know what that is
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote:social engineering - dont know what that is
If you can tell me your mother's maiden name and the name of your first dog, I can help explain it.

But seriously, I'd be using two-step authentication on everything I own if they let me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thinking about the email they sent letting me know of the change was actually pretty useless other than alerting me of it. What they should do on a login change request is send a code in an email .Even if they knew my email its still only accessible to me so only I would get the code and they would not be able to change the login to theirs that way.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Smoove_B wrote:
Daehawk wrote:social engineering - dont know what that is
If you can tell me your mother's maiden name and the name of your first dog, I can help explain it.

But seriously, I'd be using two-step authentication on everything I own if they let me.
THIS... After getting my Origin account hacked and taking a month to get it back I ALWAYS use this if it's available.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com