Mobile app randomness

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Moliere

Mobile app randomness

Post by Moliere »

Amazon Will Refund $70 Million Worth of App Purchases Made by Kids
Last year, Amazon was found guilty of illegally billing some of its customers. Specifically, the issue was that many parents had been charged for purchases made, without their consent, by their children. This week, the company has agreed to end its efforts to appeal that ruling and give those parents their money back. The amount—more than $70 million—covers in-app purchases made by kids between November 2011 and May 2016.

A federal judge found Amazon guilty of failing to warn customers that in-app charges could arise after an initial free download of a game. Similar actions against Google and Apple in recent years also resulted in large refunds—$32 million and $19 million respectively.
It will be interesting to see what controls are put on the games since neither the game designer nor the distributor have an incentive to slow down these in-game purchases.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zarathud

Re: Mobile app randomness

Post by Zarathud »

The modern equivalent of an AOL or long distance charge. My oldest has an iTunes account linked to a gift card. My youngest is on the Kindle kids subscription.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

i really dislike that, when you click on the purchase button, and one of the options is $100 worth of magic beans.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I've been noodling around with The Great Tournament, a choose-you-own-adventure built on the "Choice of Games" platform (Choice of the Dragon, Choice of Broadsides, etc.). It's fine and engaging overall -- become a knight in a medieval fantasy world, make friends and build your skills, etc. As with most of these games, the writing is serviceable, not great.

But for the love of god, someone hire a copy editor! The typos are everywhere. Your/you're, their/they're, misplaced or missing commas. The great knight rides a horse named Midnight, but about half the time it's just "midnight," without the capital M. Drives me nuts.