XBox One X (formerly Scorpio)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

stessier

Re: XBox One X (formerly Scorpio)

Post by stessier »

Thanks! I searched 4 reviews that didn't say anything about what was in the box before giving up and asking here.

I'm going with Amazon rather than monoprice just because it's easier and OO gets some $$. $6 is pretty cheap.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote:Does the Xbox One X come with a optical audio cable in the box or do I have to buy one separately? Hmmmm, do I even have to connect via optical cable? My receiver doesn't pass through 4k, so I'm connecting the Xbox directly to the TV via HDMI then I'll connect audio from Xbox to the receiver. Guess it could be standard cabling at that point.

So new question, anyone know what audio cables are included in the box? :)
Only an hdmi cable is included. I picked up a cheap optical from amazon as my receiver doesn't support the 4k hdmi spec (2.1, I think? ) and after the 4k OLED and xbox one x, I wasn't ready to get a new receiver, especially with hdmi 2.2 (8k) spec finalized and on the horizon.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Oh, and destiny 2 looks fantastic in 4k hdr! (4k released with the expansion this week).

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sorry for all the questions.

If I had Overwatch, do I need XBOX Live subscription to play it? And more generally, what does XBOX live get me?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:21 pm Sorry for all the questions.

If I had Overwatch, do I need XBOX Live subscription to play it? And more generally, what does XBOX live get me?
yes, you'll need live. With live you get multiplayer, free games 2x month (usually at least one backwards compatible 360 game and one xbox one game) via games with gold

stessier

Post by stessier »

So for a smattering of genres, I'm thinking of doing

Overwatch
Witcher 3
XCOM 2
Call of Duty WWII

I see there are a couple versions of Witcher 3 - Standard, Complete, & GOTY. Any suggestions on which one to get?
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

stessier wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:23 pm
I see there are a couple versions of Witcher 3 - Standard, Complete, & GOTY. Any suggestions on which one to get?
Game of the Year is a no brainer. It roughly doubles the size of the game. It will add one lengthy DLC that you can play at any time and one that you can play after you finish the main game which also adds an entirely new and massive area.
FTE
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scraper wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:23 pm
Game of the Year is a no brainer. It roughly doubles the size of the game. It will add one lengthy DLC that you can play at any time and one that you can play after you finish the main game which also adds an entirely new and massive area.
yes, goty

stessier

Post by stessier »

Drat, while everyone lists Witcher for sale, no one actually has it.

So I audibled over lunch and went to Best Buy and picked up Overwatch, CoD:WWII, and Final Fantasy XV. Overwatch and FF were on sale, so I'm happy. And my birthday is in March so I know what to put on the list. :)

Thanks!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:14 pm Drat, while everyone lists Witcher for sale, no one actually has it.

So I audibled over lunch and went to Best Buy and picked up Overwatch, CoD:WWII, and Final Fantasy XV. Overwatch and FF were on sale, so I'm happy. And my birthday is in March so I know what to put on the list. :)

Thanks!
MS usually has a nice digital Xmas sale on games you can download from the couch, ala the Steam sale. Picked up a number of games last year (division complete, rocket league, etc.). Also, grab your free games with gold - looks like vermintide both comes with dlc, and is enhanced for 4k.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Good tips - thanks!

My problem is that this is technically a Christmas present and I have kids to keep me honest. So even though I start my vacation at 5pm today, I can't setup anything for another 10 days. This is killing me. I can see my health bar falling and everything. Stupid kids - ruin Christmas every year. :evil:

;)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:08 pm Good tips - thanks!

My problem is that this is technically a Christmas present and I have kids to keep me honest. So even though I start my vacation at 5pm today, I can't setup anything for another 10 days. This is killing me. I can see my health bar falling and everything. Stupid kids - ruin Christmas every year. :evil:

;)
You may want to get Minecraft (or South Park, depending on age) for them...

Gargantuan Orangutan

Post by Gargantuan Orangutan »

Had anyone messed around with the gameplay video capture of the Xbox One X? Though my mic appears to work for other apps on the Xbox One X and for game chat, it's not recording my voice when recording game clips. I couldn't find any information that anyone else is also experiencing this.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

stessier wrote:Good tips - thanks!

;)
Word of advice...set it up in advance. Get all of the patches downloaded and get the games installed before they go to play. It will cut back on a lot of waiting Christmas Day.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
stessier

Post by stessier »

hentzau wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:09 am
stessier wrote:Good tips - thanks!

;)
Word of advice...set it up in advance. Get all of the patches downloaded and get the games installed before they go to play. It will cut back on a lot of waiting Christmas Day.
Thanks. Sadly, it is a gift to me and all of the games are for me. They are getting a Switch. To make it even worse, the games are technically a gift from the kids. They think my wife bought them for me to surprise me. Hopefully I'll get to play before New Years. :D
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm playing on a 55" 4k TV and all of the text is soooooo small! Is there a setting I missed somewhere to blow it up a bit? I've played CoD:WW2 and Overwatch so far and both have the issue.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Also, what is the point of even buying a disc if you have to download 30GB before being able to play the game? I guess I'm just old, but that seems nuts to me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Portability and resale.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Gargantuan Orangutan

stessier wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:39 am I'm playing on a 55" 4k TV and all of the text is soooooo small! Is there a setting I missed somewhere to blow it up a bit? I've played CoD:WW2 and Overwatch so far and both have the issue.
This annoying trend started a long time ago on PC, I guess they're just carrying it over to console.

stessier wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:43 am Also, what is the point of even buying a disc if you have to download 30GB before being able to play the game? I guess I'm just old, but that seems nuts to me.
Still allows you to sale or give the game away, because consumers demanded it. However, I've noticed this generation of Xbox One/PS4 has no manuals and the cases are the filmiest ever. So the games will have a lot less resale value and the cases won't last. The industry wants to get rid of discs and cases entirely, and get us all on the plantation eventually.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So I bit the bullet and used up some gift cards to upgrade my 1st gen Xbox One to the X. I have to say, I’m not terribly impressed so far. The Xbox store still seems sluggish and will sometimes become unresponsive, Microsoft STILL refuses to add CEC support to their damn consoles, and the 4K just doesn’t seem all that impressive to me after playing HDR games on my non pro PS4.

I may just need to give it some time. It doesn’t help that I picked up Assassin’s Creed Origins as my first 4K game for it. That’s a bit of a stinker, I’ve discovered.
Covfefe!
Gargantuan Orangutan

There's actually a major issue with the Xbox One console, and possibly other modern consoles such as the PS4 pro (I don't know). I do know there is sort of a trojan horse with the Xbox One that few (if any) persons talked about at launch, and that's the Xbox Live Enforcement system. Through "hurt feeling" reports it allows anyone to get banned for anything. By banning people that violate their TOS in the broadest possible interpretation they may be able to make a little more money than they normally would, as you can't actually dispute any bans or suspensions in 99.9% of cases. That is, some people will buy another Xbox, and rebuy their games as well. What's worse, is that this system is usually automated, and Xbox agents have no power to override it or correct mistakes when they occur. I really don't want to have anything to do with this kind of policy. It forces a user into having minimal communication with other players, and I don't want that kind of restrictive environment in a gaming platform, especially if I'm paying for the multiplayer.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

hepcat wrote:
I may just need to give it some time. It doesn’t help that I picked up Assassin’s Creed Origins as my first 4K game for it. That’s a bit of a stinker, I’ve discovered.

Do you mean graphics-wise or in general? I’ve been having a lot of fun with Origins; it picks up after you finish the first part and the world opens up.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In general. It just feels like such a let down after Syndicate. The series seems to be veering towards Far Cry with this entry. And while I love the Far Cry games, I also like the stealth heavy Assassin’s Creed series as an alternative. But gone are cover sticking (you can still assasinate from a corner, but without the animation it’s hard to gauge), the historical database (they’re releasing a tourist mode in 2018, but it’s a separate game mode entirely now), and the overall feel of the prior games.

It’s just disappointing so far.
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Ha - I think that's why I like this version of Assassin's Creed. I had previously played 1 and 2 and just could never get into them, but this feels more like Horizon Zero Dawn in ancient Egypt. Of course, I mainly picked up the game because I'm interested in that time period (one-time Classics major, FTW!) and half of what I enjoy is just exploring Egypt.
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My X1X is still sitting in a box in my basement. I had to buy a new TV for the family room, so my gaming room TV is delayed for a while.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

To keep the off-topic going, I'm also greatly enjoying AC: Origins. I've got 80 hours in. Just about finished with everything. I actually wound up putting more time into it than Black Flag, though that one's still my favorite of the series.

I do admit that the large open world can get repetitive, but I enjoyed the combat and stealth enough that it never bothered me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I put in a few more hours with AC: Origins as you folks seemed to really like it. I think it's starting to grow on me now. I still miss cover mechanics that give you feedback, and the missing history database is annoying as crap, but the actual gameplay is improving as I go along. The addition of high level areas a la the Elder Scrolls series actually works, although it still makes no sense why hyenas from one area of the map are ridiculously easy, while others in another area may one shot me. But that just comes with the territory if you're going to use that mechanic.

On the topic of the Xbox again, I have noticed also that my screen will sometimes appear really small and centered on my tv. It's almost like it's trying to display a cell phone screen. But restarting it seems to take care of it. Plus, it's only happened twice.

Oh, and Game Pass is worthless. 10 bucks a month to play a hundred and some games that mostly 360 games? No thanks. They gave me 2 months free for some reason, but I don't see myself ever using it.
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm personally tempted to use my Game Pass trial just to play MGS V for free.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would just buy it. It's one of my favorites. If you like stealth games, you'll freakin' love MGS V.
Covfefe!
disarm

Post by disarm »

pr0ner wrote:I'm personally tempted to use my Game Pass trial just to play MGS V for free.
MGS V is on sale for $15.99 at Amazon right now
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

disarm wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:03 pm
pr0ner wrote:I'm personally tempted to use my Game Pass trial just to play MGS V for free.
MGS V is on sale for $15.99 at Amazon right now
Damn, that's actually more tempting than putzing around with Game Pass.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I haven't had an Xbox since the original and am kind of confused by this Xbox One X. The games keep updating and they take HOURS to download the updates. I think one was 12 GB and it took like 9 hours. I have 100 mbps and grab games off of Steam in minutes. What's up? Is there some setting I've missed? Also, how do I convince it to stay on while I'm not watching it so it will complete the updates while I sleep?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:37 pm I haven't had an Xbox since the original and am kind of confused by this Xbox One X. The games keep updating and they take HOURS to download the updates. I think one was 12 GB and it took like 9 hours. I have 100 mbps and grab games off of Steam in minutes. What's up? Is there some setting I've missed? Also, how do I convince it to stay on while I'm not watching it so it will complete the updates while I sleep?
Some updates can be quite large if they are adding a significant patch or updating an older game with 4K/HDR support.

Do you have your settings set so that your XBox is set to Instant On and that it has approval to instantly download and install updates? If your XBox is in power save mode, and turns itself all the way off each time it's shut off, it won't get updates automatically.

I don't generally have the speed issues you're talking about when downloading updates. I got bumped up to 120 mbps not too long ago, and while my XBox doesn't get to that speed, updates download pretty quickly (I got a 1.2 GB update not too long ago done in just a few minutes).
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:24 pm
stessier wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:37 pm I haven't had an Xbox since the original and am kind of confused by this Xbox One X. The games keep updating and they take HOURS to download the updates. I think one was 12 GB and it took like 9 hours. I have 100 mbps and grab games off of Steam in minutes. What's up? Is there some setting I've missed? Also, how do I convince it to stay on while I'm not watching it so it will complete the updates while I sleep?
Some updates can be quite large if they are adding a significant patch or updating an older game with 4K/HDR support.

Do you have your settings set so that your XBox is set to Instant On and that it has approval to instantly download and install updates? If your XBox is in power save mode, and turns itself all the way off each time it's shut off, it won't get updates automatically.

I don't generally have the speed issues you're talking about when downloading updates. I got bumped up to 120 mbps not too long ago, and while my XBox doesn't get to that speed, updates download pretty quickly (I got a 1.2 GB update not too long ago done in just a few minutes).
I'm betting at least part of the issue is Power Save mode. Is that under settings from the main screen?

I got a console update around 3 GB about 2 weeks ago and it took 4 hours. It was stupid slow. The Roku connected to the same router showed Netflix running at 95 mbps (or at least that it could do that). I'm perplexed.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:28 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:24 pm

I'm betting at least part of the issue is Power Save mode. Is that under settings from the main screen?

I got a console update around 3 GB about 2 weeks ago and it took 4 hours. It was stupid slow. The Roku connected to the same router showed Netflix running at 95 mbps (or at least that it could do that). I'm perplexed.
Yeah, the power save mode is under settings. I'm at work right now, so I can't tell you exactly how to get there. There are options in that general area too for automatically receiving updates.

I wonder if you have some NAT issues or something else with your router that's causing the XBox to get throttled? Though I don't know enough about networking to know for sure.
Hodor.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I feel like i just stole something from Gamestop.

Background:

I bought a switch about 8 montgs ago. I justified that over other consoles because I didnt have a 4k Tv and am mostly a pc player. Its a fine little system, love the portablity but my daughter didnt take to it (ipad gamer)and i grew bored after blowing through the top games.

8 months later I got a nice promotion and we sold some land we had been sitting on so i rebooted the game room with a Oled tv and nice soundbar. Now in the market for a 4k console i started my research and got a great deal.

Poor gamestop had overlapping coupons locally and on their website. Details below.

Trading Switch towards new Xbone X netted a free xbone controller. Now i have a second for multiplay. Found this on their websute. Store didnt know about it.

Trading any system towards new Xbone x got a $50 gamestop card. This was a local deal and expired on saturday when the controller one started.

Free copy of State of Decay 2. $30 value.

I grabbed used copy of Shadow of War for $27

So after my switch trade with a few games i spent 225 outta pocket. Got $140 worth of free stuff to boot.

Sometimes Gamestop works :)