Persona 5 or FFXV?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Antonio94

Persona 5 or FFXV?

Post by Antonio94 »

Hi I'm new here :D. Since I don't see any introduction thread so I suppose it's better to say hello to you guys.
So currently I just got PS4 Slim and I'm kinda wondering which one to get between Persona 5 and FF XV. I've heard that both game are excellent, I tend to lean towards Persona 5 more but I don't want to miss a good game just because of my bias.
And before you may ask, no I can't get two games at once. And also, I don't mean to start a war.
TiLT

Re: Persona 5 or FFXV?

Post by TiLT »

The reception of Persona 5 appears to be much more positive than the one for FFXV, so I'd go with that. Of the two I've only played Persona 5, but it's a great game.
Insert witty comment here.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have both. I am 60 hours into Persona 5 and about 6 hours into FFXV. Any guess which I prefer?

Yes FFXV looks a lot nicer and is more like an open world game and Persona 5 is the opposite of an open world game and features last gen graphics, but I am just having more fun with Persona 5. I am completely new to the Persona thing and not really a JRPG fan so that may be coloring my impressions.

In the end, I choose Horizon Zero Dawn!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote:I have both. I am 60 hours into Persona 5 and about 6 hours into FFXV. Any guess which I prefer?
And I'm exactly the opposite. :)

I really enjoyed FF XV. It's very different from previous FF titles, but has a great cast of characters, a vast open world to explore, a really fun combat system (once you get the hang of it), and a compelling story. It's not perfect and has some real clunky sections (Chapter 13...ugh), but overall, I found it to be a blast.

In contrast, I hated pretty much everything about Persona 5. Every character was supremely unlikable, the turn-based combat felt dull, the story was boring, the stylized graphics did nothing for me, and it looked completely last-gen. I simply gave up about 5 hours in because every new person or mechanic they introduced just irritated me more and more.

In the end, I'd say that if you're looking for something that's a traditional, turn-based JRPG, Persona 5 might be your best bet. If you're looking for something that's more of a sprawling open-world adventure, give FF XV a look.
In the end, I choose Horizon Zero Dawn!
Also a very good recommendation. HZD is a brilliant game. :)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I will say that after 60 hours Ryuji is still a complete asshole and I hate basically everything he says and does and wish there was a way to get rid of him. The other characters are really pretty good. Early characters like Ann and Sojiro that were pretty negative in the beginning have turned around a lot.

I'm really glad Skiny didn't like it though. :twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Skinypupy wrote:I simply gave up about 5 hours in because every new person or mechanic they introduced just irritated me more and more.
Just to make this clear to anyone who's not familiar with Persona games: 5 hours into the game means the player is still in the tutorial, and it still is quite a bit away from truly opening up. Most people agree that the game becomes truly good only after the first dungeon is completed, which takes a while.
coopasonic wrote:I will say that after 60 hours Ryuji is still a complete asshole and I hate basically everything he says and does and wish there was a way to get rid of him.
Interestingly, Ryuji is one of the most pure Nice Guys in the series, and certainly the purest I've seen in Persona 4 and 5. The only person he's an asshole to is Morgana, but that is a mutually confrontational relationship. His story is quite refreshing. If you think he's an asshole 60 hours in, I don't think you've really paid attention to him. He's got his flaws, but he's a good guy.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

TiLT wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:I simply gave up about 5 hours in because every new person or mechanic they introduced just irritated me more and more.
Just to make this clear to anyone who's not familiar with Persona games: 5 hours into the game means the player is still in the tutorial, and it still is quite a bit away from truly opening up. Most people agree that the game becomes truly good only after the first dungeon is completed, which takes a while.
I quit right after the first dungeon. It was a little over 5 hours.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Antonio94 wrote: And before you may ask, no I can't get two games at once. And also, I don't mean to start a war.
That's not usually an issue here unless you admit you put ketchup on hot dogs or ask what kind of pizza is 'real' pizza.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Skinypupy wrote:
TiLT wrote:
I refuse to believe that. The game allows you to begin working towards completing that dungeon around the 4-5 hour mark (that's the point where you get to choose your own daily activities), but it takes much longer to actually finish it. Remember, completing it means actually stealing the treasure it contains.
Antonio94

Post by Antonio94 »

Skinypupy wrote: And I'm exactly the opposite. :)

I really enjoyed FF XV. It's very different from previous FF titles, but has a great cast of characters, a vast open world to explore, a really fun combat system (once you get the hang of it), and a compelling story. It's not perfect and has some real clunky sections (Chapter 13...ugh), but overall, I found it to be a blast.

In contrast, I hated pretty much everything about Persona 5. Every character was supremely unlikable, the turn-based combat felt dull, the story was boring, the stylized graphics did nothing for me, and it looked completely last-gen. I simply gave up about 5 hours in because every new person or mechanic they introduced just irritated me more and more.

In the end, I'd say that if you're looking for something that's a traditional, turn-based JRPG, Persona 5 might be your best bet. If you're looking for something that's more of a sprawling open-world adventure, give FF XV a look.
Well that's fine :D, some of my friends don't prefer Persona 5 neither. On my side, I used to play Persona 4 and read a bit about Persona 3 story so I'm kinda into Persona 5 more.
coopasonic wrote:I will say that after 60 hours Ryuji is still a complete asshole and I hate basically everything he says and does and wish there was a way to get rid of him. The other characters are really pretty good. Early characters like Ann and Sojiro that were pretty negative in the beginning have turned around a lot.

Hm.... I hope this isn't spoiler XD
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

TiLT wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
TiLT wrote:
I refuse to believe that. The game allows you to begin working towards completing that dungeon around the 4-5 hour mark (that's the point where you get to choose your own daily activities), but it takes much longer to actually finish it. Remember, completing it means actually stealing the treasure it contains.
I just read a walk through, and you are correct. I thought I finished it at the 5 hour 43 minute mark, but had not. I got the the point where you leave and go back to the school. My mistake, I didn't realize there was more.

And to be fair, I've never really cared for the Persona series in general. The idea of managing the day to day life of obnoxious Japanese high school students is something that has never really clicked for me. Didn't work for me in The World Ends With You either (another RPG that everyone loved but me), so I suppose that it's a sub genre that I'll simply avoid moving forward.

That said, I think FF XV is a better game, but ymmv. :)
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Skinypupy wrote:And to be fair, I've never really cared for the Persona series in general. The idea of managing the day to day life of obnoxious Japanese high school students is something that has never really clicked for me.
It's kind of weird. I had never tried a Persona game before March or so this year, and I pretty much detest Japanese storytelling in general and anime in particular. Games like the Ace Attorney series manage to get past my dislike of these things by being very self-aware and by avoiding the cliches (or using them as strengths). Persona just seemed like something I would strongly dislike.

Turned out I was wrong. Persona 4 Golden sucked me right in, to the point where I bought and started downloading Persona 5 on the PS4 while the end credits for Persona 4 were still rolling on my Vita. There are still a lot of horrible Japanese cliches in here (particularly whenever you're in the Shadow world in both games, but especially 4) and some very stilted writing in places, but the overall quality is amazing and keeps away from the worst anime tropes most of the time.

So yeah, the odds were completely against me liking these games, but I ended up liking them anyway. FFXV though? That game I'm pretty sure I'd absolutely hate. Everything I've seen of it seems like the very worst of Japanese storytelling, characters, and cliches. The Persona games try to feel real while still being completely outlandish. Final Fantasy tries too hard to be cool, and that doesn't click with me.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TiLT wrote:
coopasonic wrote:I will say that after 60 hours Ryuji is still a complete asshole and I hate basically everything he says and does and wish there was a way to get rid of him.
Interestingly, Ryuji is one of the most pure Nice Guys in the series, and certainly the purest I've seen in Persona 4 and 5. The only person he's an asshole to is Morgana, but that is a mutually confrontational relationship. His story is quite refreshing. If you think he's an asshole 60 hours in, I don't think you've really paid attention to him. He's got his flaws, but he's a good guy.
OK, asshole to one character and just generally obnoxious otherwise. Every other (non-villainous) character in the game I can identify with a little bit, but Ryuji doesn't seem real at all. I have never known anyone that acts anything like he does.

For context I just finished up the 5th palace, have a handful of confidants maxed out and I am still fully engrossed in the game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Antonio94 wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: And I'm exactly the opposite. :)

Well that's fine :D, some of my friends don't prefer Persona 5 neither. On my side, I used to play Persona 4 and read a bit about Persona 3 story so I'm kinda into Persona 5 more.
coopasonic wrote:I will say that after 60 hours Ryuji is still a complete asshole and I hate basically everything he says and does and wish there was a way to get rid of him. The other characters are really pretty good. Early characters like Ann and Sojiro that were pretty negative in the beginning have turned around a lot.

Hm.... I hope this isn't spoiler XD
I neglected to say, welcome Antonio94! :)
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

"Some people say never...I just say no"
Antonio94

Post by Antonio94 »

TiLT wrote:
It's kind of weird. I had never tried a Persona game before March or so this year, and I pretty much detest Japanese storytelling in general and anime in particular. Games like the Ace Attorney series manage to get past my dislike of these things by being very self-aware and by avoiding the cliches (or using them as strengths). Persona just seemed like something I would strongly dislike.

Turned out I was wrong. Persona 4 Golden *censored* me right in, to the point where I bought and started downloading Persona 5 on the PS4 while the end credits for Persona 4 were still rolling on my Vita. There are still a lot of horrible Japanese cliches in here (particularly whenever you're in the Shadow world in both games, but especially 4) and some very stilted writing in places, but the overall quality is amazing and keeps away from the worst anime tropes most of the time.

So yeah, the odds were completely against me liking these games, but I ended up liking them anyway. FFXV though? That game I'm pretty sure I'd absolutely hate. Everything I've seen of it seems like the very worst of Japanese storytelling, characters, and cliches. The Persona games try to feel real while still being completely outlandish. Final Fantasy tries too hard to be cool, and that doesn't click with me.
Umm... I think I can understand your issue with FFXV. I've played FF VII, FFX and FFXII, they keep following the traditional JRPG style but thing started to change after FFXIII. Somehow I felt like FF franchise lean towards Western-hybrid style rather than pure JRPG. I don't think it's wrong, but the way they did it felt broken. I've watched FFXV and I'm not sure whether I like it or not, but still I want to give it a try before giving my final verdict.
But at this rate I guess I'll choose Persona 5.
...And sorry, I have to "censored" the word due to my newbie limitation.
Skinypupy wrote: I neglected to say, welcome Antonio94! :)
Thanks... and don't tell me spoiling is the tradition here XD. But nevermind that.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Antonio94 wrote: But at this rate I guess I'll choose Persona 5.
Good choice. I *think* I am almost done. I can't say any more without spoilers. :evil:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This thread really makes me want to give them both a try - but Persona 5 far more than Final Fantasy. On the wishlist it goes!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As much as I want to love Persona 5, I have been completely unable to get into it. Not sure if it's the modern setting or what, but I haven't played in weeks and have no real desire to do so. Whereas FFXV captivated me from start to finish. I'm not saying FFXV is a better game, because it had some major flaws IMO, but for me personally something just isn't clicking with Persona.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished P5 up Friday night, there were a few :shock: moments and a :cry: moment or two. For a JRPG to keep me playing for 95 hours is... impressive. I did switch the difficulty to easy before the final boss fight. I'm glad I did because I would hate to start that over again. That's my main complaint with the game, bosses that take forever to kill, just like the game, the bosses dragged on a bit too long.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Antonio94

Post by Antonio94 »

coopasonic wrote:Finished P5 up Friday night, there were a few :shock: moments and a :cry: moment or two. For a JRPG to keep me playing for 95 hours is... impressive. I did switch the difficulty to easy before the final boss fight. I'm glad I did because I would hate to start that over again. That's my main complaint with the game, bosses that take forever to kill, just like the game, the bosses dragged on a bit too long.
I've bought the game and marched to the first boss (okay... no word for that pervert) and yeah it's bit dragged but I think it's fine. But have you tried Merciless difficulty?
I "recklessly" tried Merciless to see what will happen and it was extremely brutal. I guess it's for New Game +...
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

You shouldn't touch Merciless on your first playthrough, no. NG+ makes you far more powerful than you were the first time, among other things because you keep all your weapons. That's where higher difficulties can be worthwhile.

Having said that, I don't really enjoy the combat in these games very much, so I play on Easy. That lets me focus on the story and the social aspects without being a god in combat. It can still be challenging in places, and it doesn't drag on too long.
Antonio94

Post by Antonio94 »

TiLT wrote:You shouldn't touch Merciless on your first playthrough, no. NG+ makes you far more powerful than you were the first time, among other things because you keep all your weapons. That's where higher difficulties can be worthwhile.

Having said that, I don't really enjoy the combat in these games very much, so I play on Easy. That lets me focus on the story and the social aspects without being a god in combat. It can still be challenging in places, and it doesn't drag on too long.
Learned that in really, really harsh way. I played Persona 4 so I'm quite used to P5 combat, it doesn't have much differences anyway. Currently I go for Normal, it seems decent for me (still be able to enjoy the story and feel the tension of the game a bit).
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Combat is just the worst grind in Persona, so anything that makes it go by faster is okay with me. You can tell when combat is designed to be a grind when you're not truly in any danger in any non-boss battles (barring instakills aimed at Joker). The only purpose of non-boss battles in Persona is to slowly grind down your finite resources, and I have only so much patience for that. The designers could have made much better gameplay systems for this purpose rather than send the player through hundreds of meaningless battles. I mean, dungeon crawling in Persona games is, when you boil it down to the very basics, just a fancy push-your-luck game (how far dare you go before you throw in the towel). There are much, much better ways of handling that mechanic out there, and it's a problem that has been solved satisfactorily by many game designers before.

At least battles aren't random in P5, so some of the soul-sucking meaninglessness from P4 is gone.