SNES Classic - September 29

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

wonderpug

SNES Classic - September 29

Post by wonderpug »

twitter announcement
Super Mario World, Earthbound, Star Fox 2 + 18 more games? Now you’re playing with super power! #SNESClassic launches 9/29.

Includes previously unreleased Starfox 2, and...

Contra III: The Alien Wars™
Donkey Kong Country™
EarthBound™
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO™
Kirby™ Super Star
Kirby’s Dream Course™
The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past™
Mega Man® X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox™
Star Fox™ 2
Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV™
Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®
Super Mario Kart™
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars™
Super Mario World™
Super Metroid™
Super Punch-Out!! ™
Yoshi’s Island™
Smoove_B

Re: SNES Classic - September 29

Post by Smoove_B »

On the one hand, it seems like an excellent selection of games. On the other $80. Looking forward to not getting one after it sells out and scalpers try to move them on eBay.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I really hope they do a better job with supply on this one.
Hodor.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

pr0ner wrote:I really hope they do a better job with supply on this one.
They're at least bundling two controllers with it this time. I ended up buying a 3rd party knockoff controller for my NES Classic -- I don't think my nowinstock alerts for the official 2nd controllers ever gave me a notification of new stock coming in.

Although wait -- several of the games listed originally supported 3 or 4 players. Am I going to have to hunt for some kind of Super Multitap Classic?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This will be a good demonstration for the eternal 'is Nintendo a fan of media hype, or do they just suck at manufacturing/supply chain management' debate. This product was designed during the time in which the NES Classic was virtually unpurchaseable.

It's in many ways better than that system (the media coverage I've seen so far ranges from 'I want one' to 'I will sell my children to obtain one.'). Further, it's not rocket science to predict that this is going to be at least as in-demand as the NES Classic. Therefore, Nintendo knows today and has known for a period of time long enough to set initial supply chain expectations that they need to produce this in quantities best described as 'multiples of NES Classic production.' It's about as low-risk an endeavor as the company will ever experience.

Today is June 26th; initial deliveries are 3 months away, with Christmas 3 months beyond that. If Nintendo wants this to be available, it will be.

Your move, Nintendo.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nintendo wrote:We aren’t providing specific numbers, but we will produce significantly more units of Super NES Classic Edition than we did of NES Classic Edition.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition is currently planned to ship from Sept. 29 until the end of calendar year 2017. At this time, we have nothing to announce regarding any possible shipments beyond this year.

Our long-term efforts are focused on delivering great games for the Nintendo Switch system and continuing to build momentum for that platform, as well as serving the more than 63 million owners of Nintendo 3DS family systems. We are offering Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition in special recognition of the fans who show tremendous interest our classic content.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

If I miss out on both an NES Classic and an SNES Classic, I will be a sad panda.
Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I will wait and see. I would absolutely love to have one, but I won't play silly games to get one. If they market it like an actual product and I can get it at retail price by reasonable means, I will absolutely try and get one. If I am expected to wait in line for three hours to have a shot at one only to be told they ran out, or pay four times the normal price on ebay, then I will just stick with an emulator.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Looks pretty great. Hopefully the controller cords are longer than on the NES Classic...
Black Lives Matter
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Looks pretty great. Hopefully the controller cords are longer than on the NES Classic...
They're 5 feet long (the NES classic was 3). Still far too short, IMO.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

There's no way in hell I'm paying $80 for that. I find that my nostalgia rarely measures up to the reality.
SnarlQuigmire

Post by SnarlQuigmire »

I will have one!!!

My wife bought me an NES classic for Christmas,so it would be neat to have one of these as well.Glad the controllers have longer cables.
Death from Below!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Since the original NES came out Nintendo has intentionally manipulated supply to artificially inflate demand. Both hardware and software. This will be no different.

Break your chains of unfounded nostalgia. Buy a Raspberry Pi. Do What Thou Wilt...
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Z-Corn wrote:Break your chains of unfounded nostalgia. Buy a Raspberry Pi. Do What Thou Wilt...
Amen.

It takes all of ten minutes to set up a Raspberry Pi all-in-one retro gaming and media console, with support for a massive variety of classic games and systems.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Walmart online preorders are available!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

wonderpug wrote:Walmart online preorders are available!
Dammit. Too late for Walmart preorders.
Hodor.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

pr0ner wrote:
It was only up for 45 minutes. Rumor mill says that Walmart made an error and listed it a week early, so I'd be on the lookout for other retailers going live this Friday.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

wonderpug wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
It was only up for 45 minutes. Rumor mill says that Walmart made an error and listed it a week early, so I'd be on the lookout for other retailers going live this Friday.
Aaand you didn't miss anything. They're apparently cancelling all remaining preorders today. Mine's still active, but I'm guessing I'll get the email within the hour.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Interesting. I wonder if that means no preorders on Amazon or any other sites, and it's going to be a mass scramble to buy one on 9/29.
Hodor.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Best Buy had pre-orders up last night and it sold out in under 30 minutes.
Forbes Article
Nintendo wants this. There is no other explanation at this point. They've done this time and time again from the NES, to the Wii, to the NES Classic, to the Switch, to this. If they haven't learned that they should build up MASSIVE inventory before releasing a product by now, they are just not trying.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Walmart.com had them available today apparently. I got the email from them at 1:04 PM. When I clicked on the link at 1:07 PM, it was out of stock already.

I managed to ALMOST get lucky on Target's website. I managed to get one in my cart, got all the way through checkout, clicked the submit button, and it failed. Holy shit, Nintendo. Way to make this difficult.
Hodor.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Available on Walmart website right now
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

wonderpug wrote:Available on Walmart website right now
Weird; I never got an email alert about that one.
Hodor.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

pr0ner wrote:
The alert from Nowinstock.net or the alert from Walmart's "tell me when it's back in stock" button? If the former, did you add yourself to the Google group for alerts? If the latter, did you re-click the "tell me when it's back in stock" button after last month's in-stock fake-out?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

wonderpug wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
The alert from Nowinstock.net or the alert from Walmart's "tell me when it's back in stock" button? If the former, did you add yourself to the Google group for alerts? If the latter, did you re-click the "tell me when it's back in stock" button after last month's in-stock fake-out?
The latter. I got an email from them about it being in stock on August 22. I missed out on that pre-order, so I reentered my email address to remind me again. Didn't get an email update this time.
Hodor.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Hmm, I guess I deleted the email and I can't remember which site gave me the notice. I could've sworn I got an email from Walmart, but maybe it was Nowinstock.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

wonderpug wrote:Hmm, I guess I deleted the email and I can't remember which site gave me the notice. I could've sworn I got an email from Walmart, but maybe it was Nowinstock.
I did see that Nowinstock did show the SNES available at Walmart last Friday, but it did not show it from the 22nd when I received my email.

*shrug*
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I showed no interest in this or the NES classic but it popped up on the Amazon treasure truck in Dallas today. I checked out the games included for the first time and instantly ordered one. Now to figure out how to pick it up. Meetings and such until 5pm and traffic between here and the pickup location will be hell - pickup has to happen by 8pm.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nice, although I don't recall many SNES boxes that had art anywhere near that good - most of them were poorly proportioned and looked like the winners of an elementary school art contest.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)