Through The Ages

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

Through The Ages

Post by tgb »

Regarded by many as second only to Twilight Struggle among great board games, this was released on IOS and Android this week.

I know I really suck, because I've yet to beat even a single AI opponent set to Easy. This in spite of the excellent tutorial and interface.

Anyway, cross-platform async play is supported, so if anyone wants to feel better about themselves by kicking the ass of an absolute noob, I'm registered as tgb.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Ralph-Wiggum

Re: Through The Ages

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I just got it myself. Never played it before, but once I get through the tutorial and maybe play a game or two, I'd be up for some asynchronous action!
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

User name is Ralph-Wiggum
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I just got it myself. Never played it before, but once I get through the tutorial and maybe play a game or two, I'd be up for some asynchronous action!
The tutorial includes a great gag.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It was pretty good. Just completed my first challenge to beat one AI player on easy. I didn't really know what I was doing most of the time, but I won by 45 points. I'm guessing I shouldn't get used to that...
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:It was pretty good. Just completed my first challenge to beat one AI player on easy. I didn't really know what I was doing most of the time, but I won by 45 points. I'm guessing I shouldn't get used to that...
That's better than I've managed to do. I sent you a friend request, and also created a two player game with the other spot reserved for you.

I'm not quite sure where we go from here to get the game started. I suspect you have to log in and accept.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I can see already that there are no email notifications. That sucks.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

In iOS, the game asked if I would like to receive notifications (I assume those would occur when it's my turn to play?). Not email, but is a pretty standard mobile notification system. The only issue for me is that I have the game on my iPad, which isn't on me most of the time like my phone.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm playing it on my desktop thanks to a pretty good Android emulator. I have it on my tablet, but I use that mostly for bathroom reading.

I'm sure there are emulators out there you could use.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I try to use my PC as little as possible outside of work, so the iPad is probably my best bet. And it did give me a banner notification that you had played your turn, so it's just a matter of me checking it regularly.
Black Lives Matter
Montag

Post by Montag »

Cross platform play?

Edit: Gah in the first post - cross platform asynchronous play is mentioned.
words
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I’m struggling to figure out winning strategies. I’m not usually a fan of card games due to my dislike of the random aspect. I bought this anyway because it seemed interesting. And it is a fun way to kill an hour. I just struggle adapting my style to the cards rather than going with a strategy early and sticking with it.

I did finally win a game after 5 attempts. I managed a culture bomb by building fast food, which gave me a huge victory. Otherwise it would have been close.

My only repeat strategy at the moment is to get the luxury liner at any cost. One free population per turn seems really powerful.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Fitzy wrote:I’m struggling to figure out winning strategies. I’m not usually a fan of card games due to my dislike of the random aspect. I bought this anyway because it seemed interesting. And it is a fun way to kill an hour. I just struggle adapting my style to the cards rather than going with a strategy early and sticking with it.

I did finally win a game after 5 attempts. I managed a culture bomb by building fast food, which gave me a huge victory. Otherwise it would have been close.

My only repeat strategy at the moment is to get the luxury liner at any cost. One free population per turn seems really powerful.
The best piece of advice someone gave me is to get your economy in shape first. On your second turn you should build a mine so you have 3. If Iron appears early grab it immediately and upgrade. If it doesn't, build a fourth mine and wait for Coal. Upgrading the farm isn't quite as critical in the beginning, but do it when it becomes comfortable.

Likewise upgrade your government ASAP (I always go for Monarchy). With you economy/government humming, a couple of wonders and urban buildings, you shouldn't have to start worrying about grabbing culture-generating techs until near the end of Era II.

Of course, considering how badly Ralph-Wiggum is kicking my ass in our current game, you may not want to listen to me.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Be careful to manage your food and minerals. Let too much accumulate and corruption will crush you.

You need a little culture early or a lot of culture late. You will have to pick one based on the cards that come up.

My favorite early wonders are University Carolinas or Hanging Gardens. The +1 culture accumulates. Then you can get a head start from the +2 research (in tech) or +2 happiness (population). The extra civil action from Pyramids is good too.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

tgb wrote:
Fitzy wrote:I’m struggling to figure out winning strategies. I’m not usually a fan of card games due to my dislike of the random aspect. I bought this anyway because it seemed interesting. And it is a fun way to kill an hour. I just struggle adapting my style to the cards rather than going with a strategy early and sticking with it.

Of course, considering how badly Ralph-Wiggum is kicking my ass in our current game, you may not want to listen to me.
[RAISED FIST]️

I got annihilated in the first online game I played. I usually don't go for military much in these types of games, but that game taught me that not falling behind in military is completely necessary lest you just get crushed by raids, wars, and event cards. Having a higher military than your opponent also lets you put constant pressure on them.

Other than, tgb said most of what I know. I usually focus on economy and research on my first few turns; that'll start paying off later in the game when you can upgrade and build wonders quickly.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Also, if you want to try your hand out online, I'd certainly be up for a match (maybe a three-way with tgb? Hubba hubba).
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

I am so boned.

I would like to try a three-player game just to check out the stuff stricken from the two-player.

[edit] Maybe not so boned after all. I completed my turn and selected my military cards to be discarded, but instead of them going away after I hit the Commit button, the game seems to have frozen.

Another bug to the rescue!

I'll give it a little more time, but it appears to be broken. If you guys want to start another game for 3, I'd be up for it.

[edit again] As soon as I finished typing the above the game started working again. But I'd still be up for a threesome.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

No bugs for you!

If you're interesting in playing online, Fitzy, my username is Ralph-Wiggum.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Gratz to R-W for kicking my ass. Somehow he forced me into a death spiral of non-production and unhappy citizens too painful to endure.

If someone wants to volunteer to be a 3rd wheel, we can get another game going.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Maybe someone at Qt3 would be up for a 3 (or 4?) player game if no one here is interested.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Is there a way to include an AI player?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The way this thread reads, it sounds like you guys are playing Civ. Is this a clone?
tgb

Post by tgb »

Carpet_pissr wrote:The way this thread reads, it sounds like you guys are playing Civ. Is this a clone?
More of an adaptation, but the concepts are the same.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

tgb wrote:Is there a way to include an AI player?
I don't think so, unfortunately.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I can create an account tonight.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
tgb

Post by tgb »

Zarathud wrote:I can create an account tonight.
Do so and we'll set up a game
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Sweet.

Just finished my second blitz game online, this time with three other players. I still lost, but not as badly as the first time. It didn't help that game stalled on my fourth to last turn and didn't compete all my actions. Probably wouldn't have mattered in the long run, though.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Quill 18 (of all people) plays Through the Ages

Interestingly he's using the same Android emulator I am, but I have a lot more lag, probably because his rig is more powerful than mine.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

We gotta get a three player game going! Are you still interested Zarathud?
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:We gotta get a three player game going! Are you still interested Zarathud?
count me in
Montag

Post by Montag »

If you need to boost your self esteem, Montag is ready to play.
words
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm in if someone can set up a game for R-W, Montag, and myself. I don't have time at the moment.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm on it!
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

And, by on it, I mean a friend request has been sent to Montag.
Black Lives Matter
Montag

Post by Montag »

Accepted. What next? I do see online games.
words
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'll create a game that just you, tgb, and I can join. Not sure if you'll get any notification or not though...
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

I got a notification and played my first turn. Good luck.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Montag: History's punching bag. :D

FWIW I could have played an aggression on you my last turn but decided against it.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If you've got the military, you got to use it!

Did the game just update? Last turn the game gave me a lot more info about what moves you and Montag did on your turns and more info about how certain cards would affect everyone. Very useful.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:If you've got the military, you got to use it!

Did the game just update? Last turn the game gave me a lot more info about what moves you and Montag did on your turns and more info about how certain cards would affect everyone. Very useful.
I noticed that earlier today. It's a major QOL improvement.