[Switch] Golf Story

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hentzau

[Switch] Golf Story

Post by hentzau »

Picked this one up immediately after seeing the guys at Penny Arcade do a Twitch stream about the game today. I have so far only played for a couple of hours, but am enjoying the game immensely so far. Easily the best $15 I've spent in a while.

Golf Story
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
GreenGoo

Re: [Switch] Golf Story

Post by GreenGoo »

We're looking for decent games for the switch. Will take a look.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I got this on release day, but I held off starting it because I wanted to finish up Steamworld Dig 2 (which is also spectacular). Impressions have been universally glowing, so I'm looking forward to getting this going.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Chaz wrote:held off starting it because I wanted to finish up Steamworld Dig 2 (which is also spectacular).
Same here, and I'm also playing some Mario + Rabbids these days which is also surprisingly great. Stardew Valley also just passed certification so it should be hitting soon. The Switch is really earning its keep for me.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Yeah, I've got Mario Xcom half done, and will probably be getting Stardew as well.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Golf Story is scratching a lot of the same itch as Stardew Valley, but (through about 3 hours play) it’s pretty much on rails. Not a lot of choices to make.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Put in another hour, hour and a half on this one. I have to say I was genuinely laughing out loud at the resolution of the mole rat plot.

So far the game is very much on rails. No real "side quests" that I have come across, just lots of skill challenges that you need to get past to get to the next objective/course/quest. Still worth the money so far.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I got maybe halfway through, and I'm putting it aside until they get some patches out. I don't know if I'm just unlucky or good at my job, but this thing is an unpolished, buggy mess. Some stuff I've run into:

- lockup when saying "no" in conversations sometimes (multiple different conversations)
- lockup when trying to enter a course I'm not supposed to be in
- lockup when trying to exit a mini-game
- first hit in that mini-game made the ball circle off screen indefinitely, with no way to quit out
- the "i have a quest" speech bubble for NPCs stays up just long enough after you finish turning in that you get control back and can click on them again
- challenges have no option to restart or quit, so if it's a lost cause, you usually have to play the whole thing out again, then tap through the intro dialog to restart
- it does a bad job of explaining the control options. At one point, a challenge requires you to hit a button to modify your shot in a way that's the opposite of what it taught you that button does. Nothing in the game tells you this will happen.
- Clubs have stats and modifiers, but don't display those when selecting one to equip, they just display the flavor text.

I get that this was basically made by a two person team, and the game is charming and fun, but eventually this stuff hit critical mass and made me stop. Contrast that with Steamworld Dig 2, which is also a small team, but that one is both charming and super polished.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Chaz wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:06 amContrast that with Steamworld Dig 2, which is also a small team, but that one is both charming and super polished.
And Stardew Valley, which I think was a one-man show.