Sea of Thieves, anyone?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hentzau

Sea of Thieves, anyone?

Post by hentzau »

I'm very interested in this one. Anyone else going to jump onto it?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Reemul

Re: Sea of Thieves, anyone?

Post by Reemul »

yeah ill get it, cross play so can coop with my son which should be fun
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Want to play so bad but have to wait on PC beta. I want in!!!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'll be wait and see. Too much other stuff coming.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, I'm interested, but there is that old backlog to deal with...

When's the release date again? Xbox...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

March 20th. I just watched a Twitch stream with the Penny Arcade guys and it looked so much fun. And this is from a guy that doesn’t do online gaming (other than some old school MMOs). Last time I did any real online gaming, it was Crimson Skies with some OO folks. And I mostly was useful providing health crates when I would explode.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My son was playing around with he stress test this weekend and it looks like a ton of fun. Not sure about longevity, but he and his buddies were having a blast.

Problem is that I don't think the two of us could play together if I don't get him his own Gold account...
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Yeah or one plays on pc and the other xbox that works with 1 copy.
Enough

Post by Enough »

hentzau wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:29 pm My son was playing around with he stress test this weekend and it looks like a ton of fun. Not sure about longevity, but he and his buddies were having a blast.

Problem is that I don't think the two of us could play together if I don't get him his own Gold account...
Make him do Bing Rewards and earn a free year. With a recent sale they had one a year of Gold for 21,000 points and I managed to snag those points in a couple of months of effort. I got lucky with some points promotions and the sale, but I am pretty sure if he does all the searches/activities daily he can likely earn a free year in 3-6 months of Bing Rewards work.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Anyone else contemplating (Xbox)?

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Absolutely. I’ve watched enough of my son playing to know I would like it. And maybe not suck to badly. No promises.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'll be getting it for the PC for sure. Will end up having to buy two copies as I'm sure my daughter would love to play that too.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm probably going to sign up for Game Pass for it. It's not one I want to buy because I just don't see me still playing it a year from now, but I'll be happy to "rent" it for a couple of months.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I'm playing and streaming. I enjoy the game quite a bit, even solo. I do kinda wish there was more in place to prevent griefing (and I'm a well known past griefer!) I understand killing someone and grabbing their stuff, or killing someone and sinking their ship, but I had someone that I killed and sold his chest, then he waited on my ship and killed me and when I respawned he was standing behind me with a blunderbuss... 3 times before I just logged out and back to go somewhere else. That probably shouldn't be allowed. There is nothing to gain other than irritating someone else which sin't really what any game should aim to provide imo.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Harkonis wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:39 am I'm playing and streaming. I enjoy the game quite a bit, even solo. I do kinda wish there was more in place to prevent griefing (and I'm a well known past griefer!) I understand killing someone and grabbing their stuff, or killing someone and sinking their ship, but I had someone that I killed and sold his chest, then he waited on my ship and killed me and when I respawned he was standing behind me with a blunderbuss... 3 times before I just logged out and back to go somewhere else. That probably shouldn't be allowed. There is nothing to gain other than irritating someone else which sin't really what any game should aim to provide imo.
I think that's going to be my biggest concern with this game.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Tempted for the PC, but would need to know a lot more about it. Cant find a solid FAQ about it. Just small glitzy blurbs. Can anyone point me to a good meaty FAQ. IE is is PVE? PVP? What Harkonis just said about griefing is a huge turnoff...can i cruise around and not be subjected to PVP? Or is it a free for all? Will do my own research on it.

But the theme and basics of it looks intriguing.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The game could damn well use a tutorial, I know that much.

I had to go read multiple game guides just to figure out how to do a basic introductory voyage. Some other irritants - the starter island has all these meandering paths that lead to dead ends. I finally wound up jumping off a cliff just to get to where I needed be. I don't know why developers want to waste your time by making hard to navigate towns. And a minor nitpick - some character you talk to with Y, other characters you talk to with X. The tooltip makes it clear which ones to use, but still - why the inconsistency?

That aside, the game looks beautiful and I think it's going to be a blast with some friends. I can't wait to start barking orders as we're fighting through a vicious storm. Which brings up another gripe - sometimes my ship would just sink for no reason; I wish there was a better indicator when playing solo when you're in danger.

Long story short - this game can blow me for solo play, but I can't wait to get with some friends and explore it.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:13 pm I'm probably going to sign up for Game Pass for it. It's not one I want to buy because I just don't see me still playing it a year from now, but I'll be happy to "rent" it for a couple of months.
+1
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If Hark is still streaming this evening I will check it out, but I just assume it is not for me based on what I have seen so far... also Monster Hunter: World!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Rough sailing to start...or rather.....to not start.......Day one launch problems preventing access.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Sea of Thieves Win10+XboxOne $53.99 USD digital code (10% off with code) Promo code: EMCPSRP32 (Newegg)

Don't forget to apply the promo code for the discount at checkout. h/t qt3

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Watched for a bit on Twitch TV. Looks fun, but seems like you need a crew to roll with, and I cant do that currently. Be interesting to see how this develops though.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Thank goodness for Game Pass, cause I think I'm gonna pass on buying this after trying it for a bit.
There is probably a game somewhere in there, but they don't really make it easy to find.
I walked away from the game for about 5 minutes to finish making dinner and when I got back, somehow I was locked in a cage with no way out.
I'm assuming I was attacked and captured, but I don't know how. I spent most of the game wandering around and didn't see another soul, so where this other person came from I have no idea.

I have 13 days left on the free GamePass trial, so I'll keep tinkering, but am completely meh at this point.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think I am on board with stimpy, except I can't imagine I will play around with it any more. The remaining 13 days of my Game Pass trial will pass idly unless there is something else exciting there to try out.

I watched Hark playing for a bit and I guess I needed to experience it for myself. I completed a few voyages, but they weren't very interesting and it looks like there is no purpose to it all. All the stuff you can buy is cosmetic. What's the point? I guess it's just not for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ok, finally some good impressions since I got a nice 3 hour session in last night.

Last night we had a full small crew of 4. We set sail on a voyage to deliver a couple of chickens, and I got a crash course from our fearless captain on some of the game's basic mechanics. Things were going quite well for a bit. We found an island, grabbed a chicken, delivered it, then realized we misread the quest and had to deliver TWO chickens. So we set sail again in search of the fabled red speckled chicken.

This is where things got interesting. We ran into the Kraken, and what ensued was one of the most hilarious co-op experiences I've had in a long time. We unloaded all our cannons on it, but that only pissed it off. Our ship started taking on water, so Brian and I were sent below decks to repair and bail. We frantically repaired, taking small breaks to bring cannonballs up to load more cannons. Dom, our Captain, made an executive decision to get us the hell out of there. He lowered all sails and we hauled ass. But not before Dom and Steve were eaten. Brian and I managed to finish the repairs while our ship drifted aimlessly among the waves. When we came upon decks the Kraken was in our rearview mirror, and we briefly mourned the loss of Dom and Steve before they respawned. The fact that we survived at all was a miracle, but great fun.

After that shared experience, something clicked. We went from a group of friends just putzing around to a tight-knit crew. We all settled down into roles we were good at. it turned out I was a great helmsman, so I took over steering duties. Dom proved to be an excellent navigator. so he stayed below decks and called out directions. He also had real life sailing experience, so he would call out directions to Brian who was manning the sails while Steve played lookout from the crow's nest. We got good - real good - at sailing into ports, trimming the sails at the exact right time to slow down and swing into dock to drop anchor. We started saying port and starboard, fore and aft, and damn if I didn't feel like a real sailor by the end of the night.

There was one brief moment when everyone was doing their jobs perfectly, the seas were clear, we were right on course to deliver our goods, and I got a glimpse of the best the game could be. For a moment I really felt like part of a team that was firing on all cylinders. It was immensely satisfying.

It's far from perfect. The controls are clunky (particularly combat). In 3 hours on the open seas and on multiple islands we never ran into a single other player, so for a multiplayer game it felt astonishingly barren. There's really no guidance whatsoever, so it took a lot of patience to figure out how to do things. We turned in two voyages and got nothing for it. Is that normal for the intro missions? Who knows.

In many ways to me it feels like an early access game where you're basically just thrown into a world and try to figure it out because it hasn't been polished up or given nice introductory scenarios. And like those early access games, you get glimpses of great fun while your'e battling through the frustrations. I think there's potentially a good game in here, but it's going to take time. Whether that's time for the developers to add to it, or time for me to figure out exactly what the hell is going on, I don't know. But for now I'm willing to stick with it a bit longer. For me, Game Pass is the PERFECT place for this right now because it doesn't feel like it's ready for a full blown retail purchase.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Some more info after a second night:

- Finally figured out the whole voyages thing. Basically have to do 5 voyages for each faction to unlock the license to be able to buy "real" voyages. Got my Merchant license last night (and a fancy watch).

- We finally ran into some other people last night. We were coming into port at an island to grab some chickens, and see a galleon firing mindlessly at the island (probably goofing around launching friends out of the cannon, etc.). Completely exposed. Couldn't resist. We laid into him with all port side cannons. He sank without even getting a shot off.

The second battle was not so easy. Pulled into another port and saw a sloop. We decided to just leave him alone, but he decided to fire at us. Game on. We start unleashing hell, but he was putting up a good fight. I ran downstairs to patch damage while the rest of the crew continued the battle. Brian tried to swim over and take out the captain, but died.

So then the guy swims over and boards our ship, killing the last two crew members. Now it's just me and him. I'm out of ammo. We got into an honest to god swordfight on the mid-deck, and I managed to kill him with one sliver of life left. I ran back upstairs and finished off his ship while the others respawned.

- Lots of complaints on Reddit and other forums about how the game feels unfinished, early access, repetitive, etc. Can't say I disagree. It's great fun with friends, but as of right now (unless I somehow haven't seen it yet), there's not a $60 game here. Hoping Rare really starts pushing some content and meaningful progression into it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its released? Is it just Xbone?

I am interested but even if it was PC now Id not pay $60..if I had that. Nowhere close lol...but a fair price id guess...not played beta either...would be $20 with promises of future fixes and addons free.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It is xbox and PC. If you haven't signed up for gamepass before you can sign up for a 14 day free trial and play Sea of Thieves on PC. It only took about an hour of my trial to figure out it wasn't for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I thought there was no PC access at all until fall. Doh.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I created an xBox Live club for the Overlords - just search for OctopusOverlords (no spaces).

Mostly because I'm not finding enough friends online to play this game which is so much better with a good crew.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:52 pm I created an xBox Live club for the Overlords - just search for OctopusOverlords (no spaces).

Mostly because I'm not finding enough friends online to play this game which is so much better with a good crew.
I haven't been able to get on because my son is hogging all of my time. Rotten kid.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hentzau wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:52 pm I created an xBox Live club for the Overlords - just search for OctopusOverlords (no spaces).

I haven't been able to get on because my son is hogging all of my time. Rotten kid.
Throw him in the brig!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Bumping for the weekday crowd (and so hopefully there are more OO'ers online when I get home from work and am ready to sail the 7 seas in search of booty! (no, I'm not quite ready to submit the Pirate Resignation Letter, so it's after work for me... )

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Bumping for the weekday crowd (and so hopefully there are more OO'ers online when I get home from work and am ready to sail the 7 seas in search of booty! (no, I'm not quite ready to submit the Pirate Resignation Letter, so it's after work for me... )
Are headphones and a mic necessary for the enjoyment of group play?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Haven't tried w/o, but I think it may be a bit more confusing, especially when your shipmates start launching themselves at mountaintops from the cannons... plus it's easy to get separated from your shipmates on land, and then get lost - there aren't any indicators where your ship or your crewmates are...

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

18 GB patch loading
Sea Of Thieves Update 1.01 Patch Notes
Fixed Issues

Players who have redeemed their Black Dog Pack pre-order code will now correctly see these items in their in-game chests. Not received your code? Check your Xbox Live messages over the next couple of days.
Characters should no longer lose details such as hair colour and scars.
When digging up a chest, there is no longer a chance that it will be impossible to pick up
Players should no longer intermittently be missing items and weapons when loading into the game
Weapon, clothing and ship cosmetic changes made after migrating server will now persist across sessions
Players will now correctly see other players titles
Snakes will now behave correctly, turning to face the player when agitated
Animal and skeleton movement around slopes has been improved
The game will no longer enter an unresponsive state after accepting a game invitation whilst matchmaking
Merchant Alliance notifications for handing in various items have been corrected
Lighting has been tweaked in order to improve performance on multiple islands and outposts
Fixed tinnitus sound which persists after being killed by multiple explosive barrels.
Seagulls now fly over floating barrels.
Players can no longer be held by a seemingly invisible Kraken tentacle.
Fixed a range of potential game crashes.

Performance Improvements

Significant performance optimisations across all platforms, specifically targeting the 4K native resolution of Xbox One X.

Drastically reduced the likelihood of tearing when using the small ship.
Reduced the likelihood of tearing when inside the Taverns.
Sizeable framerate improvements when traversing large islands.
Reduced likelihood of framerate hitches when navigating outposts.
Optimised Foliage for smoother experience in overgrown jungle areas.

Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I came too close to my monthly data cap and then they released a patch that was the whole game again. As a result I haven't been able to play in a week.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Got on and was able to play for about six hours yesterday. Had a ball, but I don't know why. In the six hours of playing/trying to figure out what we're doing, my buddy and I managed to complete maybe four missions, were blown out of the water once (we were docked when it happened), and sank a couple of times because I'm an idiot (steering a ship is hard.)

A couple of thoughts:

1. As my son gleefully pointed out several times, I suck at PVP. Not going to argue. I'm old and my reflexes suck. But the saving grace that PVP (at least with us) only happened 3 times during the six hours we were playing, and we were able to in two of them skillfully sail away until they got bored and left us alone.

2. Firing cannons at a moving target from a moving platorm when the moving platform you are on is bobbing up and down and is being steered by another person? Insanity. Insanity but fun.

3. Storms suck. We got stuck in a storm for what seemed like a half an hour last night. I got sick of bailing.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Anybody tried matching up and do cross-platform play? I'm tempted to get the PC version since I don't have and don't want an XB1. I'd love to link up with folks on the XB1 and seems like you can. Just wanted to know if anyone has grouped up in game across platforms.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just starting with this. All I’ve done so far is round up some chickens and founder my sloop on some rocks. But I like it so far. Would definitely be up for crewing with some OO folks!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳