Looking for a good online co-op game for XB1

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hentzau

Looking for a good online co-op game for XB1

Post by hentzau »

My buddy Joe and I, who are both aging gamers and who live about 200 miles apart, would love to have a good co-op game that we can get together on once a week where we don't have to compete against 15 year old with reflexes 3 times, hell, 5 times what we have. We played around with Sea of Thieves, but I don't think that's going to have enough meat on it, and the grouping and griefing issues are making that one a long shot for us. We were thinking that ESO would be a possibility, anyone played that on a console yet?

We're basically looking for an excuse to hang around online talking for a few hours a week while playing a game.

Any suggestions?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
pr0ner

Re: Looking for a good online co-op game for XB1

Post by pr0ner »

Diablo III!

Also: anything in the Borderlands series, and if you haven't gotten into it, the Halo Chief Master Collection would give tons of play time going through each game's campaign in co-op.
Hodor.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:55 pm Diablo III!

Also: anything in the Borderlands series, and if you haven't gotten into it, the Halo Chief Master Collection would give tons of play time going through each game's campaign in co-op.
I do have Diablo III, and I do enjoy that in short bursts (which is what we are looking for.) I might suggest that to him.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hentzau wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:11 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:55 pm Diablo III!

I do have Diablo III, and I do enjoy that in short bursts (which is what we are looking for.) I might suggest that to him.
I actually found Diablo III more enjoyable on my XBox One from my couch than I did on the PC.
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Destiny could also work (1 or 2). Here's a list someone put together.
Astroneer
Forza Horizon 3
Warhammer: Vermintide
Gears of War 4
Path of Exile
Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
Tom Clancy's The Division
Halo Wars 2
Divinity Original Sin
Minecraft
Dying Light
Diablo III: Eternal Edition
Ghost Recon Wildlands
Killing Floor 2
Elder Scrolls Online
Livelock
Zombie Army Trilogy
Elite
Carcassone is also backwards compatible now (when will Catan be???)

this query for games like catan looks good too...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I was looking at FarCry 5 too. That looks like it could be fun played with another player, but that's a bigger investment.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

So we landed on Don't Starve Together. Low price of entry for a multiplayer game. I used to play Don't Starve quite a bit, but I hadn't touched it in easily 6 months to a year. They've added some stuff since the last time I played. Joe early on learned the folly of attacking a pig man early on in the game when all you have is an ax. That brought us around to needing to do a restart because I wasn't about to go attacking spiders that early in the game. We restarted on an easier mode just to a) let him figure out how to do things, b) let me get used to console controls and c) easily resurrect. Things were going along swimmingly, until about day 9 we got swarmed by hounds. Hounds? Those were new. We didn't stand a chance, we had just gotten a single spear made, and no armor at that point. And because they don't ever go away, there was no way for us to resurrect and regroup. So, we quite at that point.

But we had fun, and will try it again soon.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Assuming you can play cross platform, bad demographic and chaosraven play on and off and would probably be more on if more people played. Some of us have played with them on and off (some of a lot of off) BD is really good and chaosraven is really good but they don't treat the game like you are each playing solo in an MMORPG. On the other, I felt like I was being pulled along as weight. :oops:

http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=95096
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, as far as I know it isn’t cross platform. At least I didn’t see a way to invite non-Xbox users to the party...
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

A friend and I are currently playing through A Way Out. It's brilliant. It's a two player-coop story game. It's been designed as a co-op game as there's no way to play it solo. Basically you have these two guys, each with their own history hatching an escape plan at a prison, and when you do finally escape, you're on the run and end up in a lot of misadventures together. Seriously good. One of my favourite sequences so far is, you end up in a boat together and each of you have paddles and you have to coordinate yourselves to steer the boat properly all the while there are rapids and waterfalls. Makes for quite an intense experience. It's also been quite a memorable experience.

Best of all, only one person needs to have bought the game. As long as you're on the same console, the one that owns the game just needs to send an invite to the other person. It will prompt them to download the demo and then all you need is a friend pass generated by the game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Last night we played around with the preview of Divinity: Original Sin II and that really feels like a winner. It's unfortunate that it was limited to 3 hours total play time, we were just starting to get the feel for the game about the time that the timer ran out on Joe. Now unless there's another preview, we're going to have to wait until August to play.

(And I know it's available on Steam now...still just want to play this on the Xbox.)