New Star Manager (New Star Soccer sequel)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

AWS260

New Star Manager (New Star Soccer sequel)

Post by AWS260 »

The developer of New Star Soccer, which I have extolled in the Android Games thread, has released New Star Manager. I played it semi-obsessively for a large chunk of the weekend.

Pros
  • Core New Star Soccer gameplay is largely unchanged. Most of the match happens in a text scroll, switching to player-controlled action at key moments (generally scoring opportunities). You directly control the ball handler, and can pause at any time to plot the movement of other players or line up a shot.
  • The strategic layer is detailed but relatively easy to grok. It's full of challenging and interesting decisions for the manager. Do you buy a raw youngster full of potential, or spend the same amount on an experienced veteran who will contribute immediately, but run out of gas in a season or two? Do you give more playing time to the back-up in order to preserve team chemistry, or stick with the more-talented starter? I find the Football Manager series on PC too opaque and complex to get into, but New Star Manager suits me just fine.
  • Beautiful engine. The matches look fantastic, with a 2.5D presentation that lets you rotate, tilt and zoom the camera.
  • Loads quickly and runs like butter, at least on my Galaxy S7.
Neutral
  • Free-to-play with ads. It's $6.50 to turn off the ads, which auto-play in between most matches. Given the overall quality and depth of New Star Manager, I think that's a very fair price. My only complaint is that paying doesn't quite turn off all the ads -- nothing auto-plays, but I am still regularly asked if I want to watch an ad in order to earn a free replay (basically a do-over for a shot or pass that doesn't go your way).
Cons
  • In-app purchases. I understand that this is how mobile studios survive financially. But man, it's annoying. When you lose a match or have a poor season, you can't help but wonder if the developers made things extra-difficult in order to encourage you to make in-app purchases. That said, I'm about 4 seasons in and surviving OK without paying real money for anything (except turning off ads).
  • Press interviews. This is the only aspect of the management layer that I dislike. The "interviews" are just trivia questions, like "How many forwards are on your team?" or "What is the name of your team scout?" If you get it right, you get a small advantage. Get it wrong, and everyone -- press, players, staff, the team's board -- likes you a little bit less. It's a completely artificial mechanic that doesn't evoke the theme at all.
AWS260

Re: New Star Manager (New Star Soccer sequel)

Post by AWS260 »

You can record and play back your triumphs (and failures). Here's a nifty little sequence from my team.

AWS260

Re: New Star Manager (New Star Soccer sequel)

Post by AWS260 »

Some updates after a month with New Star Manager:

I started in South Africa's two-tier system and led my team to promotion and the top-tier trophy pretty quickly. Then I took a job at the bottom tier of the English system, and boy howdy is it a different world. Defenses are much, much harder to penetrate, fouls are not always called, and I learned the hard way that having a decent goalkeeper is essential. We're now in the Championship (one tier below the Premier league), but it's been a struggle at times, barely avoiding relegation in a couple of seasons.

As the challenge level has increased, I've found myself paying much closer attention to the management side of the game: making sure my players are at least reasonably happy (unhappy players make mistakes), ensuring I have proper depth at each position, regularly checking for favorable transfers. Right now I'm somewhat handicapped by my staff. My reputation is only good enough to attract "bronze" level staff, but to compete at this level I am buying "silver" level players. Silver players can't be improved by bronze coaches, so all of my best players are constantly frustrated by their lack of development.

My only complaint is that paying doesn't quite turn off all the ads -- nothing auto-plays, but I am still regularly asked if I want to watch an ad in order to earn a free replay (basically a do-over for a shot or pass that doesn't go your way).
I found a button in the options to turn this off, so I now have a truly ad-free experience.

They have added the ability to customize your team's name, badge and uniform colors. For $6.50. I know this is a free-to-play game, and I would probably happily pay a buck or two, but $6.50? Ridiculous.