Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Arcanis

Karleigh's update thread [Arcanis' Baby]

Post by Arcanis »

edit: www.bandkricket.com

Here is what has already been said:
Arcanis wrote:The good:
Well the latest kraken spawn has entered it larval state. Karleigh Jean Trahan popped out in only a half hour of pushing just before 5:30 tonight. She weighed in at 7 lb 13 oz and was 19.25 inches long.

The Scary:
When we were moving from the delivery room to our post delivery room my fiancee & I's roommate stopped me as they carted my fiancee away. She told me that they had been looking at Karleigh and took x-rays and that they took her BP on all 4 limbs with one side being lower than the other. This short blurb was enough to make my heart sink. I immediately had a thousand thoughts of what it could be and the heartache one of our fellow OOers went through only a few months ago. I had to suck it up because i knew my fiancee had just been through hell and was in tons of pain and would panic at any bad news.

The Bad:
After they had settled my fiancee in the room while i waited outside the NP went in and was about to talk to her. They realized i was outside and let me in but not anyone else that was there. The NP informed us that she has a heart murmur and low oxygen count. When she was coming out the cord was wrapped around her neck and they think that is the cause of the problems and not to be worried. They moved Karleigh to the NICU to be able to observe her as the normal nursery would be inadequate with its higher baby to nurse ratio. So now I'm sitting here waiting for an update on what is going on with our little girl and haven't really slept in about 2 days. My fiancee is in pain from her epidural (back pain like a slipped disk), my little girl is having heart problems, and there is nothing i can do to help either of them. The country song about tough little boys growing up to be dads turn into babies is so true.

Since i know i'm really not going to sleep much tonight i'll try and post some pics and any updates i hear.
Arcanis wrote:thanks for the well wishes guys. I know there is nothing i can do and that i really shouldn't be that worried, but its my baby girl so i'm gonna worry.
But now Pics:
first family photo:
Arcanis wrote:as i hit submit on my last post the NICU doctor came in and told us there is something wrong with her heart. we won't know anything more for a while. the cardiologist is on their way.
miltonite wrote:Just talked to Brian (Arcanis). There is a hole in her heart and if I understood correctly the Aorta and Pulmonary artery are switched.

They are transferring her to the children's hospital in New Orleans now. Me Brian and his fiance are going to be heading that way as soon as mom can go. Keep Karleigh in your prayers and pass the word along if you can. The more prayers the better.
miltonite wrote:Update:

Just got a text message from Arcanis, the prognosis is a "double inlet left ventricle".
I'll try and post updates to her condition here so that we don't take over the Fathers thread. I wanted to this early in the morning but i barely remember walking into the room before i was asleep and today has been hectic.
Last edited by Arcanis on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Arcanis

Re: Karleigh's update thread [Arcanis' Baby]

Post by Arcanis »

Karleigh has the double inlet left ventricle as well as pulmonary stenosis. The articles are thanks to a friend of ours that works in the hospital we are at now. She also has a hole in her heart but that is a good thing right now. They said the hole is keeping the blood from flowing in a small circle and preventing the back flow from the stenosis from causing problems.

Today they took her off of the heart medication she was put on before they knew what was wrong. With that she was able to come off of the ventilator, the heart medication interferes with her breathing. Tomorrow they will try and feed her rather than everything being done by IV. My fiancee is recovering well and will be released in the morning. From the looks of it we will be headed to New Orleans for lunch time and hopefully have a room in the Ronald McDonald house.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

My thoughts are with you and your family. Good luck to Karleigh.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

My thoughts are with you and your family. I hope everything turns out well!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Strength to Karleigh (and Mom and Dad)!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Odin

Post by Odin »

Congratulations on the birth, Arcanis. Best of luck with the various health issues - I hope everything works out just fine.
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

You have a beautiful child. I hope you and the lady can enjoy sometime with her and hopefully the hospital can give her the care she deserves. Be strong and take care in these times.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I skimmed through the reading links, and it seems as if there is hope and it looks like it can be corrected and she can lead a normal life. Good luck, best wishes, and hope it works out for your family.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Best wishes to you and your family.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Our family will keep you in our thoughts and prayers Arcanis. Best of luck to your family and the little one.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Thanks again for all of the well wishes and prayers guys. We are fortunate to have my family and so many friends just waiting for us to tell them what needs to be done. There is hope and i'm feeling really good about Karleigh being able to be a happy healthy child once her heart is fixed. It should be 2-4 surgeries. The only limitation i see is that she likely won't be able to play sports so i can deal with that.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

She's adorable. You're lucky to have her, and she's lucky to have you.
Arnir
Location: Right here. No, a bit left. A bit up. Okay, close enough. Texas.

Post by Arnir »

Thoughts and prayers to your entire family.
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Chaosraven's D&D Party 2: Arthur Leadwyrm (now game 1) For your GPS PoI needs
"She needed a green card; I wanted a man card."
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

As I said before We're thinking of you, your Fiance, and of course Karleigh. Having a diagnosis and know what you are up against is always a big step, now plans can be made to fix/manage the problem.

BTW, Karleigh's gorgeous! Grats and Level UP!
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Jag

Post by Jag »

Beautiful baby. Best of luck to you guys.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Sending positive thoughts your way....
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Thanks for the update, considering your priorities right now. Here's hoping for the best possible outcome.
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

Congratulations to you, Arcanis, and your fiance on your new baby! I hope this is but a minor obstacle for her and all of you and that she continues to make progress.
Follow me as I make films at: xterminatingangel.com
"Don't waste your time or time will waste you."--Muse, 'Knights Of Cydonia'
Fear the Wiki!
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Congrats on the new daughter! It sounds like she is in great hands. It's amazing what things they can fix these days.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Congrats on the new baby Brian and thanks for updating us. I will be sending positive thoughts your way, it sounds like things are hopefully moving in the right direction now.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Best Wishes to you, your GF and the babe. Modern medicine can do wonders.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Congrats and best of luck!
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

the little woman and I are on our way to NO now, the benefits of being a geek allow me to post while on the road :) . Karleigh ate on her own today and knocked out 10 cc of formula and should be eating another 10 cc now. They have removed her umbilical IVs so we now officially have a cordless baby and my fiancee can hold her again, she was really upset because she only got a few seconds to hold her before getting sick and needing someone else to take her.

We just found out we will be able to stay at the Ronald McDonald house for our stay there as well. The fears and stress have subsided enough that we can finally relax some for now. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and prayers, Karleigh has to be the most prayed for individual in the world right now.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Good luck, Arcanis.

The RM House is indeed a worthy charity.
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Glad that things have at least calmed down a bit. Best wishes and prayers on the little one.
Black Lives Matter.
NinaPerdida

Post by NinaPerdida »

Missed this the first time, thanks for posting the update. Best of luck to baby Karleigh, who is very beautiful! Take care of yourself and your fiancee during this time of stress, and know that we're all thinking of you and sending good thoughts and prayers your way.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

You have a beautiful baby, Arcanis. Best wishes to you and your family.
Debris

Post by Debris »

My prayers for you and your family.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

The good vibes, well wishes, and prayers are getting things done. It looks like we will be taking Karleigh home Saturday. She will still need surgery in a few months once her heart can't keep up with the O2 demands of her body as it currently is and a 2nd surgery a couple of years down the road as well to repeat the process.

In short the will bypass her heart for blood to get to the lungs. Normally after blood makes the round trip through the body it goes though half the heart to be sent to the lungs and then returns to the other half of the heart to go to the body. In Karleigh's case all of the blood is going to the chamber that goes to the body but the hole between the chambers has allowed it to flow out to the lungs as well. After her surgery they will have one of the return flows of blood go strait to the lungs and close off the flow to the lungs from the heart and allow the oxygenated blood and de-ox. blood to mix and head out into the body. On her second surgery, which will be around 2-3 years, they will bypass the 2nd main return to the lungs so all of the blood is being oxygenated. It won't be the most efficient system and she will get tired pretty easy but should be fine.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Great news Arcanis, and we'll keep the good vibes coming.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That's great news. :)
theohall

Post by theohall »

Excellent news, Arcanis!
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Excellent.....the time of infant corruption draws nearer.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Great to hear. Go little girl. :D
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Modern medical technology is amazing. Wow.
PLW

Post by PLW »

What great news! I'm so happy for you guys. Hope it all goes off without a hitch.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Hooray for the bionic baby.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Congrats on the good news. My brother's baby had to have surgery at around 8 months, and my wife had surgery when she was about 2. Different conditions for each of them, of course, but while surgery's always scary but FWIW it's not all that unusual (and also FWIW both were fine).
Black Lives Matter.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Despite my best efforts i couldn't get them to throw in bionic hearing, sight, or super strength. Thought it may be a good idea to leave that last one off until after the terrible twos. :wink:

and here is one i figure you guys will like:
Enlarge Image

what can i say when it is nap time it is nap time.

for those who are interested in lots of pictures, or who have wives who just want to see baby pictures, our web site has a link to the photo albums. BandKricket.com at the bottom of the page is the link to all the pictures we have so far.