NCAA basketball 2017 - 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: NCAA basketball 2017 - 2018

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:According to this article, it sounds like the shenanigans were going on during the season.
Williams said on Wednesday’s Outside The Lines:

“There were a lot of dealings that were being made that people didn’t know about. There was a lot of money being exchanged. I know for a fact — there was a reported story from Yahoo! Sports back in 2009 — I know that we gave an AAU coach for a guy named Kevin Love who plays for the Cleveland Cavaliers. We gave him over $250,000. Now, at the time, we were also giving other players money because you were allowed to give players money through their AAU programs.”

The Yahoo! story that Williams referenced in the video described a meeting between Love, Barrett and Williams after a UCLA game. The article no longer lives on Yahoo! Sports‘ site, but here is an excerpt.

Kevin Love said he would’ve preferred hitting In-N-Out Burger with his family after another UCLA victory last winter. Yet, there was Pat Barrett, head of one of the top AAU basketball programs in the country, waiting outside the Pauley Pavilion locker room and pleading for Love to come with him instead.

Love had known Barrett since he was in fifth grade, played two years for Barrett’s traveling team and, as a result, said he felt obligated to go. What Love apparently didn’t know was a New York sports agency had donated $250,000 to Barrett’s team under the premise Barrett could deliver players such as Kevin Love – to dinner first, then as a client.

When Love arrived at Mr. Chow, the famed Chinese restaurant in Beverly Hills, the waiting group included Jay Williams, former national player of the year at Duke and 2002 NBA lottery pick.

Williams was there on business, as the chief recruiter for Ceruzzi Sports and Entertainment, the very agency that staked Barrett with a quarter-million dollars.
Emphasis mine.
That cuts right to the heart of the matter. Coaches are in a position of trust but will sell out kids for the right price.

That they also like, cheat, and roll the dice with their University's reputation is relevant but the main issue is that the "student athlete" is just there for one else to use to make money.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:According to this article, it sounds like the shenanigans were going on during the season.
Williams said on Wednesday’s Outside The Lines:

“There were a lot of dealings that were being made that people didn’t know about. There was a lot of money being exchanged. I know for a fact — there was a reported story from Yahoo! Sports back in 2009 — I know that we gave an AAU coach for a guy named Kevin Love who plays for the Cleveland Cavaliers. We gave him over $250,000. Now, at the time, we were also giving other players money because you were allowed to give players money through their AAU programs.”

The Yahoo! story that Williams referenced in the video described a meeting between Love, Barrett and Williams after a UCLA game. The article no longer lives on Yahoo! Sports‘ site, but here is an excerpt.

Kevin Love said he would’ve preferred hitting In-N-Out Burger with his family after another UCLA victory last winter. Yet, there was Pat Barrett, head of one of the top AAU basketball programs in the country, waiting outside the Pauley Pavilion locker room and pleading for Love to come with him instead.

Love had known Barrett since he was in fifth grade, played two years for Barrett’s traveling team and, as a result, said he felt obligated to go. What Love apparently didn’t know was a New York sports agency had donated $250,000 to Barrett’s team under the premise Barrett could deliver players such as Kevin Love – to dinner first, then as a client.

When Love arrived at Mr. Chow, the famed Chinese restaurant in Beverly Hills, the waiting group included Jay Williams, former national player of the year at Duke and 2002 NBA lottery pick.

Williams was there on business, as the chief recruiter for Ceruzzi Sports and Entertainment, the very agency that staked Barrett with a quarter-million dollars.
Emphasis mine.
I did not read the article but the part you quoted just shows they paid the AAU coach not Love. Did money actually go to Love or is the coach simply the bad guy here?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I don't think that is clear. But we know that they paid boatloads of money to Love's AAU coach with the expectation that the coach would get Love to sign with the agency (he didn't). I don't know whether the expectation is that that coach will then give some of that money to Love or his family. Even if not, it's still super shady.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Not surprisingly, more players/teams are likely to be involved than just those originally reported. For example:
An Adidas rep that is facing fraud and corruption charges from the FBI for steering a top 2017 recruit to Louisville was also trying to influence a 2018 super-recruit to commit to Kansas, multiple sources told Chat Sports exclusively Thursday afternoon. The sources have been independently sourced (one inside the Big 12 with coaching ties to the SEC, and another recruiting expert with knowledge of South Carolina AAU basketball) and provided nearly-identical information.

What We Know:
The Adidas employee, arrested on Tuesday, had been taking a similar approach with the prospect on behalf of Kansas. the leading Adidas college basketball program. The sources both said the player is a top prospect that plays for a South Carolina AAU team on the Adidas circuit and, as of Thursday afternoon, is expected to visit Kansas' Late Night in the Phog Midnight Madness event this weekend.

The player who fits the description is 2018 #1 overall player (according to 247Sports.com, rated #2 by several other services) five-star small forward Zion Williamson (Spartanburg, SC), who plays for the Adidas-sponsored SC Supreme.
At this point, there's no evidence that money changed hands or that Kansas knew about the situation (Williamson has yet to commit anywhere), but it still doesn't look good....
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Here is the article from the WSJ:

SPORTS COLLEGE BASKETBALL
Probe Into NCAA Basketball Relies on Unusual Legal Theories
Some legal experts question whether the defendants’ alleged misconduct broke federal law
Joon H. Kim, the acting U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, held a news conference on the investigation in New York on Tuesday.

By Nicole Hong
Sept. 27, 2017 7:01 p.m. ET
68 COMMENTS
The government’s sprawling investigation into bribery in top-tier college basketball programs has prompted some in the sports and legal communities to question whether the alleged activity violates federal law.

Federal prosecutors on Tuesday unsealed charges against 10 defendants, including four assistant college-basketball coaches.

In one alleged scheme, prosecutors argue, the coaches took cash bribes from financial advisers, business managers and others, and facilitated bribes directly to student-athletes. In exchange, the coaches agreed to pressure student-athletes under their control to retain the services of these advisers once the athletes entered the National Basketball Association.

In a second and related scheme, a top Adidas AG executive allegedly worked in connection with the advisers in the first scheme to funnel bribes to high-school players and their families to induce them to attend universities sponsored by Adidas, and to choose Adidas as their sponsor when they turned pro.

The investigation is unusual because while the alleged misconduct violates National Collegiate Athletic Association rules, some legal experts say it may not have necessarily broken federal law.

RELATED

The Big Money Behind Rick Pitino’s Fall at Louisville
NCAA bylaws state that any financial assistance to student-athletes, other than from their legal guardians or from the university, is prohibited without express authorization from the NCAA. Student athletes are also prohibited from accepting benefits, including money, from outside sources like financial advisers. A student-athlete is ineligible to participate in Division I sports if he or she violates these rules.

Gabe Feldman, a sports law professor at Tulane University Law School, said it was fair to question whether prosecutors were overreaching in trying “to turn what might be an NCAA violation into a criminal violation.”

“The conduct itself doesn’t necessarily appear to violate any laws, standing on their own,” he said. “But it’s the combination of factors that appear to have convinced the government to bring this case.”

Prosecutors in the criminal complaints are primarily alleging violations of federal bribery and fraud laws. The charges are likely to face challenges in court, legal experts say.

All four coaches were charged with honest-services fraud conspiracy. The government accuses the coaches of depriving the universities of their “honest services” as university employees by soliciting and receiving bribes.

Honest-services fraud is a crime under the federal wire-fraud statute, a broad law that is widely used by prosecutors to charge virtually any type of fraud that involves an email or phone call. Every defendant in this case was also charged with wire-fraud conspiracy.

The law governing honest-services fraud is both controversial and in flux, lawyers said. The definition of what it means to deprive an employer of honest services is vague, and a 2010 Supreme Court ruling narrowed the definition of honest-services fraud to cover only certain types of bribery and kickback schemes. The statute has often been used to charge corrupt politicians.

“I’m not aware of any case where federal prosecutors have used honest-services fraud to say the programs that were allegedly defrauded were college sports organizations,” said Daniel Silver, a former federal prosecutor in Brooklyn who is now a partner at Clifford Chance LLP.

The government says the universities were the victims of the alleged schemes. Because the universities were unaware of the alleged bribes, they gave financial aid to student athletes who were actually in violation of NCAA rules and therefore ineligible for scholarships. This, in turn, defrauded the universities because it hurt their “decision-making about the distribution of its limited athletic scholarships,” the criminal complaint said.

But the government may have a hard time showing how schools like Auburn University or University of Louisville suffered losses as a result of the scheme, some lawyers said.

“If Louisville’s a victim, what did they lose out on?” asked Bradley Henry, a criminal defense attorney in New York.

Lawyers said the defense may also bring challenges to the bribery charges. Federal law bans the bribery of organizations that receive money from the federal government. In their criminal complaints, prosecutors said the public universities receive federal funding, which means bribery of the coaches, who are employees of the university, is also prohibited. The defense, however, could argue that coaches shouldn’t be treated like federal government employees, according to one defense lawyer.

As well, legal experts say that the government, to prove bribery, may have to show a quid pro quo occurred between the payers of the bribe and the coaches. In the wake of recent shifts in bribery and public-corruption law, defense lawyers could argue that coaches steering players toward certain money managers may not be enough of an official action on the coaches’ part to warrant federal bribery charges.

Write to Nicole Hong at

Appeared in the September 28, 2017, print edition as 'College Basketball Probe Presents Legal Challenges.'
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Thanks!

In other news, this story about Michael Beasleyechoes the charges in this case:
In 2011, three years into his professional career, Beasley filed a civil suit against Malone and Joel Bell, Beasley's former agent. His complaint was part of a countersuit against Bell, who alleged Beasley had breached his contract with him after terminating his agreement between the two. Beasley, however, alleged that Bell had bankrolled Malone's AAU basketball team, which Beasley played on, in exchange for Malone pushing Beasley to sign with Bell upon entering the NBA.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Looks like it ain't over yet.
(Bruce Feldman: Hearing more indictments are coming in college hoops. Expected to happen within the next two weeks, I'm told.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Arizona lawyers up:
When the school hires five attorneys in an attempt to maneuver its UA basketball team through a bribery, racketeering and corruption scandal, it becomes more like Dorothy and the Scarecrow knocking on the gate to the Emerald City.

“We want to see the Wizard!” they say.

“The Wizard?” says a guard. “But nobody can see the Great Oz! Nobody’s ever seen the Great Oz! Even I’ve never seen him!”

Arizona president Robert Robbins, athletic director Dave Heeke and coach Sean Miller remain unseen, sealed behind an Oz-like curtain...

...he (Robbins - UofA President) has told no story, spread no enthusiasm.

He has dodged a public Q&A session and refused to add clarity to the most seismic story to hit Southern Arizona since the Shootout at the OK Corral.

The UA has gone dark but still asks for the trust of its constituency.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Received via email:
Dear Arizona Family,

One week ago, our University community learned of the arrest of a member of our men’s basketball coaching staff, a result of a Department of Justice probe into criminal wrongdoing in college basketball. At the time of the revelation, I reiterated our commitment to compliance and to the high ethical standards that we demand of our entire university community.

Since arriving on campus in June, I have come to understand a great deal about our institution, specifically the incredible students, faculty, staff, and supporters who make Arizona unique. But I have also taken heart in the core values that go hand-in-hand with our daily work. Those values are why I have a responsibility to all of you to discover the truth in this matter, to take action if warranted, and to ensure that our policies and practices related to athletics compliance are among the best in the nation.

To that end, I want to share with you steps that we have taken to live up to our values.

· Upon learning of the indictment, we immediately consulted with the Office of the General Counsel and engaged in communications with officials from both the NCAA and PAC-12 Conference.

· We initiated formal dismissal proceedings against Emanuel Richardson, the assistant men’s basketball coach charged by federal prosecutors. Mr. Richardson was immediately relieved of all duties.

· At my direction, our Office of the General Counsel retained Steptoe & Johnson LLP, an internationally recognized law firm, to initiate an independent review of the allegations leveled by the Department of Justice against Mr. Richardson. Their review includes all of the allegations related to Arizona contained in the criminal complaints issued last week and any related legal issues or compliance concerns arising from those complaints. While the University is retaining the firm, I have given investigators my assurances that they have complete independence in their work. The investigative team is led by Paul Charlton, the Managing Partner of Steptoe’s Phoenix office and a former U.S. Attorney for the District of Arizona. The work of investigators from Steptoe’s Phoenix and Chicago offices began on Monday and will be completed as efficiently and as comprehensively as possible. We will share the results of their review.

· The University has also retained outside counsel to assist the institution with the Department of Justice’s criminal investigation, as well as with potential NCAA matters. Jackson Lewis is a world-renowned firm recognized for their expertise in complex criminal and civil cases, as well as in issues involving professional and collegiate sports. Attorney Paul Kelly, a highly respected former Assistant U.S. Attorney and trial attorney and Gregg Clifton, an accomplished sports lawyer and litigator, are leading the team. Jackson Lewis attorneys Gene Marsh, former Chair of the NCAA Committee on Infractions and one of the most widely respected attorneys in the field of NCAA enforcement matters, and John Long, an attorney with extensive experience in NCAA enforcement, eligibility, and compliance issues, will represent Arizona in any matters with the NCAA.

I have briefed the Board of Regents in its oversight capacity and will continue to provide the Board with regular updates. Should any new information come to light in the coming days and weeks, we will not hesitate to act or to take additional measures to fully address any issues.

The criminal investigation by the Department of Justice has no timeline and the independent investigation by Steptoe & Johnson will proceed expeditiously but may also be prolonged. In addition, any allegations of violations of NCAA bylaws must be thoroughly addressed by the University and by the NCAA. So, I ask for your patience as the necessary work continues, so that we all can have answers to our questions.

Since his arrival in April, our Director of Athletics, Dave Heeke, has been a wonderful addition to the University and a great partner to me since I came to Tucson, no more so than this past week. His insight, experience and integrity are on display each and every day, and Dave’s input on critical decisions has been invaluable.

Head coach Sean Miller has not been charged with—nor accused of—any misconduct and he has been fully cooperative and supportive of our efforts to determine the facts in pursuit of the truth. In a message that he shared with the community earlier today, Sean expressed his own devastation at the revelations last week and acknowledged his responsibility as the head coach to promote and reinforce a culture of compliance. Based on the facts that we know at this time, we support Coach Miller and intend to provide him with all of the tools necessary to meet our goals and expectations.

The tremendous young men in our basketball program deserve our continued support as they work towards the start of the season, and I have complete faith that our passionate fans will continue to show them our love.

As your President, it is my responsibility to do what is right, to do what is needed, and to do all that I can to ensure that every member of our community is proud to be a Wildcat. We will be a stronger University because of the actions that we have undertaken and I will continue to keep you abreast of any developments.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert C. Robbins
President
University of Arizona
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Utah has lost lost multiple 5-star recruits to Arizona at the 11th hour...and now we might have a better idea of why.

Part of me hopes Arizona goes down in flames for this.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:hawk:
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Arizona has had a ridiculously good streak with recruiting since Archie Miller was hired. Of course, they haven't really done much with those recruiting classes....

On other NCAA news, UNC heard yesterday that the NCAA was releasing it's final determination in the academic case that has been going on now for 5?, 6? years. It was supposed to be released today but UNC asked it be pushed back until next week since there's some big fund raiser tonight. Makes me a bit worried that they suspect bad news....
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Arizona has had a ridiculously good streak with recruiting since Archie Miller was hired. Of course, they haven't really done much with those recruiting classes....

On other NCAA news, UNC heard yesterday that the NCAA was releasing it's final determination in the academic case that has been going on now for 5?, 6? years. It was supposed to be released today but UNC asked it be pushed back until next week since there's some big fund raiser tonight. Makes me a bit worried that they suspect bad news....
Archie's in Indiana ;).

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Whoops - I confused my Millers.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

2 more Louisville Assistants on leave:
Louisville interim athletic director Vince Tyra announced via a statement that associate coach Kenny Johnson and assistant coach Jordan Fair have been placed on paid administrative leave as the FBI continues its investigation into the alleged incidents.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Arizona has had a ridiculously good streak with recruiting since Archie Miller was hired. Of course, they haven't really done much with those recruiting classes....

If UNC doesn't receive some kind of steep punishment it will just prove how corrupt the NCAA is.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Why? The problems at UNC were academic in nature and affected students and athletes alike. In fact, the majority of people that took those classes were non-athlete students. So while I agree the classes were a problem (that has been fixed for years), how does it fall under the purview of the NCAA if it is not an athlete-specific issue?
Black Lives Matter
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Why? The problems at UNC were academic in nature and affected students and athletes alike. In fact, the majority of people that took those classes were non-athlete students. So while I agree the classes were a problem (that has been fixed for years), how does it fall under the purview of the NCAA if it is not an athlete-specific issue?
Because the President of the university is ultimately responsible to the NCAA that student athletes comply with academic rules. Just because they were not aware of the problem and it involved more than athletes doesn't make the President, and therefore the University, blameless of violating NCAA rules.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

But it makes it an academic issue not an athlete issue, right? There were no extra benefits to athletes (which was one of the main charges of the NCAA). Is it a serious problem that could have possibly lead to accreditation issues? Certainly. But by the NCAA's own bylaws, that's not an area they have any power over. Jay Bilas can explain it better than I can.
Black Lives Matter
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

I see his argument, just further proves to me the ineptness of the NCAA. However, if student athletes are enrolled in a fraudulent class does that not make them academically ineligible and therefore unable to participate in sports? Is that not an NCAA violation?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

What makes the classes fraudulent? There were assignments that were turned in, the students just didn't have to physically attend a class. So in that sense they were like independent study classes found throughout college campuses. And unlike classes you see at many universities, this course wasn't restricted to athletes. There were definitely irregularities in who was doing the grading of the courses, but I'm not sure on the surface these classes were all that different than those found elsewhere.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

NCAA decision came out today: they could not conclude that the classes were either fraudulent or an extra benefit to athletes (as Jay Bilas had argued). Two individuals were found in violation for not cooperating with the investigation. But generally, looks like the sports are getting off without any punishment. :horse:
Black Lives Matter
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:NCAA decision came out today: they could not conclude that the classes were either fraudulent or an extra benefit to athletes (as Jay Bilas had argued). Two individuals were found in violation for not cooperating with the investigation. But generally, looks like the sports are getting off without any punishment. :horse:
Wow, was not expecting that. The NCAA blinked. The first NCAA notice was pretty severe with the proposed charges. The second notice was a lot less severe and in fact dropped men's basketball and football. I think the NCAA thought UNC would then take this deal, in an understood plea bargain. But UNC refused to take the deal and the NCAA then decided to play hardball went back to the first set of charges in the third and final notification. The NCAA definitely blinked here as UNC called their bluff.

I can only imagine the outrage on all the NC State forums right now. They were so certain banners were coming down.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Grifman wrote:
I can only imagine the outrage on all the NC State forums right now. They were so certain banners were coming down.
The hate is strong with them.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Just for YK.
Keeping tabs on Duke alum:
Kyrie Irving
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
PLW

Post by PLW »

Last season, the Gamecocks were predicted to finish 11th in the SEC. We had our greatest season ever, making our first-ever appearance in the final four.

This year... predicted to finish 10th the SEC, so I presume we'll make the final game.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Remus West wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:59 am Just for YK.
Keeping tabs on Duke alum:
Kyrie Irving
He was only enrolled for one year, and Duke doesn't teach their undergrads that the Earth is round until their Sophomore year. Freshman year is all about acculturating them into the ways of the douche-bag.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

They can douche-bag all they want as long as they stay pre-season #1 favorites. :horse:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

WTF Bruins?
Three UCLA men's basketball players -- including LiAngelo Ball, the younger brother of Los Angeles Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball -- were arrested in China just days before Friday's season-opening game against Georgia Tech in Shanghai, sources told ESPN's Jeff Goodman.

One source told ESPN the group of players -- which also included freshmen Cody Riley and Jalen Hill -- were arrested on shoplifting charges.

The players are being questioned about stealing from a Louis Vuitton store that is located next to the team's hotel.

A source tells ESPN the players are not currently with the team.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:54 pm Bama goes 5-on-3
This is what I like to see:
Despite playing with just three players, Alabama went on a 26-16 run and actually outscored Minnesota 30-22 after Petty left with the injury. In fact, the Tide had a chance to cut their deficit to one with just over a minute left after Sexton grabbed a defensive rebound, but he missed a midrange jumper.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LaVar Ball has pulled his son LiAngelo Ball from UCLA, in part because LiAngelo's indefinite suspension remains indefinite.

LaVar seems to think he can get him NBA Draft Ready on his own:
"I'm going to make him way better for the draft than UCLA ever could have."
An NBA GM says otherwise:

Ex-UCLA freshman LiAngelo Ball has no chance that he'll be drafted in June — and that was true before his shoplifting incident in China. "He's not on any of our scouting lists — even the extended lists," one GM told ESPN.
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Arise thread!

Since the last post - UCLA has beaten Kentucky again. Howinthehell did that happen? Right now, I'm putting us at about a 60% shot at making the tourney.

However, the aftermath of the Arizona loss at Colorado was fascinating:
First up: Arizona's Sean Miller, who questioned his team’s effort and expressed frustration at his inability to “reach” the players following a loss at Colorado. That would have been interesting enough, but Miller was one-upped by Colorado's Tad Boyle.
Asked if he took an extra measure of satisfaction in beating the Wildcats in the wake of their involvement in the FBI scandal, Boyle answered: “Hell, yes.”
Whoa.
And that wasn’t all.
“They recruit very, very well,'' he continued. "USC has recruited very, very well. The two most talented teams in our league from top to bottom are USC and Arizona … So, hell yes there’s extra satisfaction.”
Translation: The most-talented teams in the conference have been charged with corruption. I just beat one of them, and I haven’t attempted to pay for players. Damn right, it feels good.
Boyle said what other coaches are undoubtedly thinking -- and probably have been thinking for some period of time. Only now, because of the FBI, they have the legal cover to speak their mind.
And kudos to the Pac-12 Networks analyst Lamar Hurd for his frank response to Boyle’s comments.
Pac-12 Nets link

Sean Miller on his team and the loss (I don't know if he saw Tad Boyle's post-game interview), but this is shocking:
Miller said of the Buffs, who had 11 fewer offensive rebounds than UA in part because of their better shooting. “I think once they saw our guys were struggling, they stayed with it. …

“But we had a lot to do with that. You always want your team to play for you as the coach … and they really struggle playing for me, they really do.”

Miller was asked what he meant by that statement, so he elaborated some more.

“I can’t get them to play hard. I really can’t,” he said. “We do it for a while. I know we’ve had a win streak but we’ve also had a good team — we have a lot of talent. A lot of times our offense can get us to the finish line but you have to be able to play both offense and defense … with our team, man, it’s really hard to get our guys to run as fast as they can and that’s not them, that’s me. I have a hard time reaching our guys.”

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Miller said of the Buffs, who had 11 fewer offensive rebounds than UA in part because of their better shooting. “I think once they saw our guys were struggling, they stayed with it. …

“But we had a lot to do with that. You always want your team to play for you as the coach … and they really struggle playing for me, they really do.”

Miller was asked what he meant by that statement, so he elaborated some more.

“I can’t get them to play hard. I really can’t,” he said. “We do it for a while. I know we’ve had a win streak but we’ve also had a good team — we have a lot of talent. A lot of times our offense can get us to the finish line but you have to be able to play both offense and defense … with our team, man, it’s really hard to get our guys to run as fast as they can and that’s not them, that’s me. I have a hard time reaching our guys.”
Maybe their checks bounced? That would be demotivating.

On the Big Ten front, the Big Ten is TERRRRRRIBLE. It could legitimately be a four team tourney league this year. MSU and Purdue are good. Michigan is inconsistent, but likely to make it. OSU seems to be better than anyone expected them to be. Minnesota and Northwestern are huge disappointments (and not just on the court for Minnesota).

Michigan's best wins so far were against UCLA and Texas, but most of the rest of the non-conference schedule is real trash. With the Big Ten down so much overall, that only gives limited opportunities for quality wins. I think we've got Purdue and MSU in succession next - it would be nice to steal one of those.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 am Michigan's best wins so far were against UCLA and Texas, but most of the rest of the non-conference schedule is real trash. With the Big Ten down so much overall, that only gives limited opportunities for quality wins. I think we've got Purdue and MSU in succession next - it would be nice to steal one of those.
I wouldn't say we exactly stole one of those - winning by 10 at MSU was pretty impressive. Narrowly missed beating Purdue (lost by 1). Survived the let down game against Maryland last night.

This time last year there was a large, vocal contingent of Michigan fans calling for John Beilein's head. Those people were very, very wrong.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:54 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 am Michigan's best wins so far were against UCLA and Texas, but most of the rest of the non-conference schedule is real trash. With the Big Ten down so much overall, that only gives limited opportunities for quality wins. I think we've got Purdue and MSU in succession next - it would be nice to steal one of those.
I wouldn't say we exactly stole one of those - winning by 10 at MSU was pretty impressive. Narrowly missed beating Purdue (lost by 1). Survived the let down game against Maryland last night.

This time last year there was a large, vocal contingent of Michigan fans calling for John Beilein's head. Those people were very, very wrong.
Well, coming back from a double digit second half deficit can be considered as stealing one...

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Well, coming back from a double digit second half deficit can be considered as stealing one...
I didn't think we were down double digits to MSU in the second half. We were down to Maryland, but that wasn't one of the two games I was talking about "stealing". Those were MSU and Purdue. Michigan should have beaten Maryland in Ann Arbor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:51 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:43 pm

I didn't think we were down double digits to MSU in the second half. We were down to Maryland, but that wasn't one of the two games I was talking about "stealing". Those were MSU and Purdue. Michigan should have beaten Maryland in Ann Arbor.
that was the UCLA game (as I'm well aware) :(