Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: Random randomness

Post by Pyperkub »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:06 pm i just got a discarded Blackberry DevAlpha phone (ca. 2013) working, woohoo. these devices were supposed to semi-brick after the initial eval period expired. i don't think it's of much use (since the Android support is completely lacking and my dopey phone carrier requires either Android or iOS) but it'll make a decent media player.
How's the patina on it coming?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The temperature is so cold outside the house heater will only get the house to 60 degrees. And that's with a couple of room closed off.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I think it's been years since I was able to post anything hear without correcting something. Stupid delay action bug in my computer doesn't help.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Temperatures drop to -88 degrees in parts of Russia. Now that is cold, comrade.
-mf
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:53 am Temperatures drop to -88 degrees in parts of Russia. Now that is cold, comrade.
In Soviet Russia, temperature measures you!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So a meteor never even made landfall (is that the word?) broke apart over New Haven, MI last night. That's two counties away from where I live but it breaking up in the atmosphere was enough to cause an earthquake at my house and apparently well beyond. Kinda makes you appreciate what a meteor big enough to create a crater would do.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

I've reached a point in my life where I am desperately lonely and tired of the dating nonsense at the same time.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sorry to hear that sectoid.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 am Sorry to hear that sectoid.
Thank you. I am also acutely aware that this is not the place to ask for dating advice.
Model Mayhem # 641920
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im free early Monday morning but Im an expensive date. :wub:

But ya sorry to hear it man.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Sectoid wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:22 am I've reached a point in my life where I am desperately lonely and tired of the dating nonsense at the same time.
:cry:

No (useful) advice here. I was fortunate to dodge significant nonsense during my time (though part of that was by design based on the field in which I was playing). Looking back on things, I'd dodge that stuff more willfully were I transported backwards in time.

Loneliness I understand better. Wallowing in it is self-destructive. Redirecting that useless energy is the right play, but who on earth is capable of that? (Some I suppose.) If you're artistically inclined (and I know you are), focus on a project that pulls from that energy. If you're not cut from that cloth, then go full meathead and improve your physical health (burn energy with exercise is probably easiest -- also helps with the sleep). The toughest part (and most important) is to keep from beating yourself up.

See, not useful (because everyone knows all that already). What we're really geared up to want is "dating hacks" where there is a concrete list of things we do which makes for better outcomes. Spoiler alert: only dating coaches are going to tell you they know these secrets. :/ You gotta put in the tough work and hard time to jump out of whatever rut you're in and aim for a different destination than where life's carrying you.

Best luck. You deserve it.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The grass is always greener. I am literally never alone these days unless I'm taking a dump. I would figuratively kill for an hour alone. I know being alone is a far cry from being lonely, but that's my 2 cents on that.

My only advice is to get out there. Not on dates but around people. As they say, you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket. You can't meet anyone if you don't make any contact. But when you do "get it there," get out there to enjoy yourself, not to find a date. Desperation, even longing, doesn't look good on anyone.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

This is where this is coming from and I can post this here because I am certain she doesn't read this.

Lets go back a bit. I haven't dated anyone in a while. I just wasn't into it and the few dates I had ended in disaster. Either the woman was too into me and me not enough into her, she was dating around without telling me, then dumped me for someone else, she accused me of cheating when I didn't, etc.
So, this girl and I have been friends for a while. I helped her set up a web page and social media for her new business. We talked on and off for a while both on social media and IRL, but things just never lined up. So, on New Year's Eve, I took a chance and asked her out. We had a date, finally, and it went really well. The next day we even saw each-other at a club I go to now and again. Nothing too heavy or anything, made out a little.
So, now we have been chatting on social media and through text for the last few weeks pretty much daily and she never has time to see me. I know she is busy and she doesn't have what would be considered a traditional job so her hours are erratic. Through our interactions I mentioned I wanted to talk face-to-face about what we are both expecting from this. I don't want to do it over text or facebook because it is too personal and frankly too much to reveal your desires on anything that can be recorded. Since then she has all but avoided me.
Now here's the part where I get neurotic. If someone is interested in you, they'll make time. That is my thinking. I'm not asking her to rearrange her life, just make some time to have a cup of coffee and talk. I have stuff going on too, but would drop it, if possible, to be with her. I've repeatedly said to her "let me know when you are available" but never get a straight answer. Yesterday, I asked her straight out "When am I going to see you again?" her response was "I dont know. Im a little under time stress this week." Normally, I'd be understanding, but this has been the response since we had that date. I know it was only 1 date and all, but we have known each-other for a while now (about 2 years). If we had a talk and she said she wasn't looking for anything serious or anything, I'd be much more understanding. I'd also tell her it isn't going to work out, because that's not where my head is right now. I am very much a 1 woman guy. I don't date around. I don't cheat. Never have.
The other side of this is that I have been approached by several women I know who are poly-amorous about pursuing something. I am not into it. If that is what I wanted it would be very easy to go down that route. The problem being that I am left in the lurch at this point in my life due to my age. Most women I know are either married with kids, in a long-term relationship...or lesbians...can't forget those. I'd even be up for going +/- 10years, still nothing. I don't do the tinder thing or anything like that because I am totally not into hook-up culture. I am a long-termer. My previous relationships aside from these past couple years of dating have been in the double digit range as far as number of years together.
I thought I found someone here and now am being blown off. Putting yourself out there sucks ass.
Thank you for the advice, Meal, I appreciate it. I am firmly in a rut right now. I started going back to the gym recently, because I've found it extremely hard to do anything creative while I'm this depressed. I can't even get excited about gaming right now.

Sorry all, for the wall-o-text. Needed to vent.
Model Mayhem # 641920
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sorry mate, but you need to forget about the woman who is too busy. As mentioned, you may want to start doing some hobby type of activity where you have a chance of meeting others with like interests.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:06 pm i just got a discarded Blackberry DevAlpha phone (ca. 2013) working, woohoo. these devices were supposed to semi-brick after the initial eval period expired. i don't think it's of much use (since the Android support is completely lacking and my dopey phone carrier requires either Android or iOS) but it'll make a decent media player.
Especially if it's one of the models that supports HDMI out. I use an old Z10 as my morning alarm clock since I've gotten to appreciate the way the alarm volume gently rises and the screen lights up. Two gentle cues that my body has gotten used to.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sectoid wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:31 pm I've repeatedly said to her "let me know when you are available" but never get a straight answer. Yesterday, I asked her straight out "When am I going to see you again?" her response was "I dont know. Im a little under time stress this week." Normally, I'd be understanding, but this has been the response since we had that date. I know it was only 1 date and all, but we have known each-other for a while now (about 2 years).
Maybe it's just me but this sounds kind of clingy/demanding. It's been like 2 weeks. Push the idea back a burner or two.

Best of luck no matter what though. Sending all my vicarious hopes and dreams your way. :lol:
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:12 pm The grass is always greener. I am literally never alone these days unless I'm taking a dump. I would figuratively kill for an hour alone.
I spent 6.5 years living alone, dating no one. I lived a very quiet life that I sometimes miss.

Now I've got a wife, 2 kids, 8 dogs, and 1 cat. My wife is a wellspring of activity and chaos. I get exactly 90 minutes a week to myself, sometimes. From the time she leaves to take the kids to Cub Scouts until the time she gets back, it's just me and the dogs. I switch NetFlix from Octonauts and The Great British Baking Show to Ash vs. Evil Dead and just relax for a while. It's a little slice of heaven. I wouldn't trade in the wife and kids, but it's nice to turn off Husband and Daddy for an hour.

Sometimes the kids don't have Scouts or my wife needs me to bring them for some reason. I miss my alone time then.
Last edited by Paingod on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:57 pmMaybe it's just me but this sounds kind of clingy/demanding. It's been like 2 weeks. Push the idea back a burner or two.

Best of luck no matter what though. Sending all my vicarious hopes and dreams your way. :lol:
I don't think it is just you. Here's my issue with that and I know all situations are different. I tried the play-it-cool card before and that backfired on me too. The woman found someone else who was clingy-ish and broke it off with me. This time, I said f-it and wanted to put all my cards on the table, so to speak. Like I said, if we had the convo about what she expects and what I expect, I'd be much more understanding.
As it is, I'm not going to message or text her again until she contacts me. If that is harsh, so be it.
Model Mayhem # 641920
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If someone is interested in you, they'll make time.
That's it. If they don't then

a) You have a different expectations
b) They are flakey

Luck to you! I'm mostly comfortable in my being alone and suffer more and more from laziness, pain, and anxiety as I get older and other people really mess with that, so I'm no help on that front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Lf7mriehU
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Sectoid wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:04 pmAs it is, I'm not going to message or text her again until she contacts me. If that is harsh, so be it.
I'd try planning to do something fun, maybe skiing or something - a thing you can enjoy by yourself or with someone else. Then just invite her to come along if she wants and leave it at that. Don't ask when or if, just say "I'm doing Y on X date/time. I'd enjoy having you come with me if you can make it."

I wouldn't specifically write someone off for being busy, not when I've known them for 2 years.
Black Lives Matter

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sectoid wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:04 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:57 pmMaybe it's just me but this sounds kind of clingy/demanding. It's been like 2 weeks. Push the idea back a burner or two.

I don't think it is just you. Here's my issue with that and I know all situations are different. I tried the play-it-cool card before and that backfired on me too. The woman found someone else who was clingy-ish and broke it off with me. This time, I said f-it and wanted to put all my cards on the table, so to speak. Like I said, if we had the convo about what she expects and what I expect, I'd be much more understanding.
As it is, I'm not going to message or text her again until she contacts me. If that is harsh, so be it.
I don't think you have to swing between extremes. Just give a bit more room. Only contact her if there's a reason, like you're going out and want to know if she wants to join you or if there's an interesting article you want to forward on. Not just because or to get a status update.

If/when you're in person again, then you can ask about expectations.

MYT
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:12 pm
Sectoid wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:04 pmAs it is, I'm not going to message or text her again until she contacts me. If that is harsh, so be it.
I'd try planning to do something fun, maybe skiing or something - a thing you can enjoy by yourself or with someone else. Then just invite her to come along if she wants and leave it at that. Don't ask when or if, just say "I'm doing Y on X date/time. I'd enjoy having you come with me if you can make it."

I wouldn't specifically write someone off for being busy, not when I've known them for 2 years.
I'd do this. If you have been friends for two years I'd suggest trusting her enough to believe her when she says she's in a time crunch/stressed/busy right now and plan something far enough out that it should be after her rough patch. If she isn't actively looking for something beyond friendship right now she might not have really thought of your recent date as anything beyond a fun outing between friends. A second fun outing allows you to talk about whether this is going to be dating or just sharing similar interests without the stress of getting together only to talk about your relationship.

Feel free to ignore me. I haven't dated since college and even then I did things in a way that everyone says shouldn't work. On the other hand we were friends for two years prior to dating for what that's worth.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Overall, I think I need to calm down a bit. I'm just going to do my stuff for a while if anything happens so be it. It generally goes better with my laziness anyway. :angry-chillpill:
On another note, my friends suck. None of them know anyone they would set me up with. Maybe because they know me too well...
Model Mayhem # 641920
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sectoid wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:11 pm On another note, my friends suck. None of them know anyone they would set me up with. Maybe because they know me too well...
This likely applies to your friends as well:
Sectoid wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:31 pm Most women I know are either married with kids, in a long-term relationship...or lesbians...can't forget those.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:48 pm Sorry mate, but you need to forget about the woman who is too busy.
Yeah, this relationship is already lopsided, and not in your favor. Play it cool and see if she comes to you, but let her know that you're going to stop asking so that she doesn't think you ghosted.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Paddington 2 has a 100% critic rating on RottenTomatoes (165 ratings) and a 96% from the audience. Is that the highest ever?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah but all those votes are from the English. Pretty sure they only count as half votes.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:18 pm Paddington 2 has a 100% critic rating on RottenTomatoes (165 ratings) and a 96% from the audience. Is that the highest ever?
It seems doubtful anything has done better than 100% critic rating. Toy Story 2 matches it at 100% (with fewer reviews), though only an 86% audience score. (Paddington 2 is at 90% audience score now)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was in a store today wit ha NOW HIRING sign in it. Ive been in or passed at least 5 places like this in 2 weeks and yet people complain theres no jobs. What the hell.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Went to see RATT in concert in 1987. Queensrÿche opened for them. Got a tshirt of course. I wore that shirt out. Burned a couple holes in it with cigs falling asleep. Over the years it dry rotted. In the end about 20 years ago I bagged it up for storage. By then it was an open sided muscle shirt.

Decided Id like one again just like it. Seems its rare to find unless you want a copy of it off ebay or from Hong Kong. Found one like it on ETSY but its nearly $200! WTF?

Guess I wont get it. :) Didn't remember it being the Dancing Undercover World Tour at the time I went.

Enlarge Image

https://www.etsy.com/listing/568243279/ ... allery-1-4
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:34 pm Was in a store today wit ha NOW HIRING sign in it. Ive been in or passed at least 5 places like this in 2 weeks and yet people complain theres no jobs. What the hell.
I see those type signs. The trouble is those jobs are usually part time at minimum wage. So you need at least two of them to pay the bills.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:35 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:34 pm Was in a store today wit ha NOW HIRING sign in it. Ive been in or passed at least 5 places like this in 2 weeks and yet people complain theres no jobs. What the hell.
I see those type signs. The trouble is those jobs are usually part time at minimum wage. So you need at least two of them to pay half the bills.
FTFY.

Still. I'd work three part time jobs before I stood on a street corner with a sign (maybe earning $60k/yr tax free).
Black Lives Matter

Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

I see those type signs. The trouble is those jobs are usually part time at minimum wage. So you need at least two of them to pay the bills.
And the problem with that is that both would want you to be available to work anytime, unless you give them 2 weeks notice, and not give you a schedule until the week before. I've worked retail, it is a nightmare.
Model Mayhem # 641920
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This thread is ruining Darkest Dungeon for me. It has the best narrator in all of videogamedom but in one of the repeated attack results clips he says decimated and OO forces me to hear the bitching about misusing the word.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:46 pm This thread is ruining Darkest Dungeon for me. It has the best narrator in all of videogamedom but in one of the repeated attack results clips he says decimated and OO forces me to hear the bitching about misusing the word.
Hopefully it only reduces your enjoyment by 1/10 th.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:18 pm Paddington 2 has a 100% critic rating on RottenTomatoes (165 ratings) and a 96% from the audience. Is that the highest ever?
The first Paddington is one of my favorite "kids" movies ever. It was brilliant.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:44 pm
I see those type signs. The trouble is those jobs are usually part time at minimum wage. So you need at least two of them to pay half the bills.
FTFY.

Still. I'd work three part time jobs before I stood on a street corner with a sign (maybe earning $60k/yr tax free).
There is kind of a legendary story here about a guy who begged for money at a certain freeway off ramp every day. One day, for reasons I don't remember, he actually was on a local radio talk show bragging about how much money he made and how well his wife and him lived. A few weeks later a guy called the talk show and without mentioning names of course, said the IRS had stopped and had a long talk with the guy and he was in some trouble. I heard the original call.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I notice while out of the porch that the shrubs need trimming. Im really good with that trimmer. Ive cut my outdoor extension cord 2 or 3 times with it. Totally in to. Was using that cord for a space heater yesterday. I pulled on it and the heater had heated the cord up where I had patched it and it just pulled apart with little pressure.

So come spring I need to go buy some heavy duty wire nuts and black tape and cut it up and make a single patch to it. And be more careful with the trimmer. I was the last two times and it didn't help. The 2nd time I used it I cut my house tv cable in to. Im lucky I have my fingers at this point.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

this stuff is really damn good.

Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I want to know how a woman holding a shield in front of her upper body can stop hundreds if not thousand of bullets a minute and how come none of the bullets go below her waist? And what is that damn shield made of? Did she steal it from Captain America?
If she's invulnerable to bullets what's with the shield then? And how come it doesn't make her look fat when she hides it under her clothes?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949