Bucket List Concerts

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tgb

Bucket List Concerts

Post by tgb »

Everyone has a favorite artist (or artists) that they have never seen live, either because of circumstances or because that artist tours so infrequently. So who do you want to see once (just once) before either you or the performer dies? For me it would be (in no particular order)

'Lil Ed Williams
Van Morrison
Paul Simon (the closest his current tour comes to Tucson is Vegas)
Ry Cooder (currently touring and playing in Mesa in August,so at least that's a possibility)
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
pr0ner

Re: Bucket List Concerts

Post by pr0ner »

This is Paul Simon's last ever tour, so if you were going to see him live (which I highly recommend), you need to act now, tgb.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

While there's a hundred bands and artists who are no longer alive and/or touring that I'd love to see (topped by Bowie...dammit), I've seen nearly all of the active bands that are on my bucket list.

The only band that really jumps to mind is Sigh, a long-standing black/avant garde metal band from Japan. They rarely tour anymore, so my chances of seeing them are likely very slim.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
tgb

Post by tgb »

pr0ner wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:00 pm This is Paul Simon's last ever tour, so if you were going to see him live (which I highly recommend), you need to act now, tgb.
That's what The Who said.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm pretty much done longing to see certain artists. If there is a show near me for someone I like, or that looks interesting, I'll go if I'm free. And by near me, I mean within a mile or two.

I am, however, bucketing all my daughter's recitals and concerts.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

tgb wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:11 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:00 pm This is Paul Simon's last ever tour, so if you were going to see him live (which I highly recommend), you need to act now, tgb.
Final tours command an even greater ticket premium.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Jimmy Webb leaps to mind. I had tickets to see him at Old Town School of Folk music here in Chicago, a really intimate theater with about 200 seats total. And of course, mother nature drops 8" of snow on the city the evening of the concert, it was snowing like crazy when I was supposed to be leaving to see him, and parking is horrible in that neighborhood at best of times. So I punted on it, and regret it to this day. I probably would have been one of about 50 people in the theater with the weather being that bad.

I really wish I could have seen The Who in their heyday.

Rush's farewell tour was great, I almost didn't make it to see that.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I somehow don't think Paul Simon is the type to make that announcement and reneg. He also looks to have aged quickly recently. I imagine he still loves playing and creating and that won't go away but I foresee him becoming Leonard Cohen with regard to performing after this tour, where he might get a wild hair up his ass and play six shows, two at three venues and then disappear again.

I did want to take my mom to see S&G on their last tour but cheap seats were $110 and I just couldn't warrant that. As stupid as that pricing was, I now regret not going.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:12 pm
I don't think I paid too much more for the seats that I have for Simon's stop in DC than I did for the Paul Simon and Sting joint tour a few years ago.
Hodor.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Tom Waits.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:11 pm I am, however, bucketing all my daughter's recitals and concerts.
Thanks for making the rest of us look like bad fathers. ;)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I probably should have seen Bob Dylan 15 or so years ago when I had the chance.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Archinerd wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:52 pm I probably should have seen Bob Dylan 15 or so years ago when I had the chance.
You probably still do.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I only ever saw "John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band" because it happened to be on my campus, free, and in between where I was and where I was going. If I was of the mood to pay for a concert instead of an album I'd want to see Fleetwood Mac, U2, Runrig, Jimmy Buffet, Queen, or the Rolling Stones I believe. Maybe Garth Brooks if I couldn't see any of the others. :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:24 pm
I don't think I paid too much more for the seats that I have for Simon's stop in DC than I did for the Paul Simon and Sting joint tour a few years ago.
Which is doubly surprising because you don't have to sit through Sting this time.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:06 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:24 pm
Which is doubly surprising because you don't have to sit through Sting this time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I didn't know that tantric music was a thing.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm fortunate that i've seen the vast majority of many of the musicians and bands that i've wanted to see.

excluding now non-existent bands and dead/retired musicians, some that i would very much like to see:

Brian Eno
The Young Gods (no longer the original lineup :( )
Crime & The City Solution (no longer the original lineup :( )
a-ha
Kate Bush
New Order with Peter Hook :(
Robert Hampson solo/Main (i've seen him with Loop)
Mark Stewart solo (i've seen him with The Pop Group)
actual Hawkwind (not just Nik Turner and a bunch of German randos)
some sort of pseudo-not-really Pink Floyd reunion (just get Waters and Gilmour together, that'd be fine)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've been fortunate to have already seen my major bucket list ones as far as classic artists go - Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, James Taylor. I almost pulled the trigger on Paul Simon tix since he's coming pretty close, but it was a weeknight and the timing just wouldn't work out.

My wife had very strict parents when I was dating, so she wasn't allowed to go off on overnight trips. As soon as we got married and she was out from under their roof, we made up for that big time. From 2002-2008 was six years of seeing a ton of concerts. I pretty much saw everyone I really wanted to see during that stretch.

These days I'm happy just going to our little local venue concerts and seeing random artists. The big acts are fun, but between the money and the travel required, I'm kind of over it. I've still got a few years before the kids are old enough to beg me to take them, so I'm enjoying the break. :D
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:39 pm
New Order ca. 1989 (supported by P.I.L and The Sugarcubes) ranks right up there on my list of past shows.

MYT
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:51 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:39 pm
New Order ca. 1989 (supported by P.I.L and The Sugarcubes) ranks right up there on my list of past shows.
That was a great show - saw them just outside KC. The poor Sugarcubes were on first during the heat of the day - my primary memory of the show is Bjork saying "hot, hot" between every song. Also I remember "The Perfect Kiss" because the "frog sounds" about 5:00 into the song were probably the loudest sound I've ever experienced and I think caused some permanent hearing damage.

Worth it. :mrgreen:

My list:

The Smiths
Talking Heads

:(
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:39 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:11 pm I am, however, bucketing all my daughter's recitals and concerts.
To be fair, if your kids started a death metal band, you'd be all over those shows.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:26 pm I didn't know that tantric music was a thing.
Sure it is.

It lasts forever, and while nobody really enjoys it, later they all say it was life-changing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Exodor wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:53 pm
My list:

The Smiths
Talking Heads

:(
well under the "bands least likely to reform" umbrella
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

LordMortis wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:21 pm I somehow don't think Paul Simon is the type to make that announcement and reneg. He also looks to have aged quickly recently. I imagine he still loves playing and creating and that won't go away but I foresee him becoming Leonard Cohen with regard to performing after this tour, where he might get a wild hair up his ass and play six shows, two at three venues and then disappear again.
That's the impression I get too. Also to keep in mind is the fact that he's pretty much been on tour non-stop, so I'm more inclined to believe it when he says he's retiring. I get more of an air of sincerity coming from him. He decided to retire after the death of his lead guitarist, which likely gave him pause.

Among those in the recent retiree pack such as Elton John and Neil Diamond, Elton John seems more likely to pull some comebacks. But I did read a recent article that stated Paul Simon would do a few shows from time to time, but nothing like before.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:02 pm
To be fair, if your kids started a death metal band, you'd be all over those shows.
Whatever. I'd totally make them pull more weeds and clean their rooms for not being kvlt enough.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I realize that there are a lot of big names that I'll never see, like Paul Simon and Elton John, but I think I'm Ok with that. I've gotten to see some really cool concerts over the years, like Don McClean for instance, even though he said he hoped we enjoyed it because he wouldn't be back.

These big artists normally only play the big cities, but there was this one time in 2008 that Elton John visited our city to play in what was called the Red Piano tour ( I think?) It was a small out of the way tour, and I think we were the only other town in a very small list of exclusive dates. It had caused quite a bit of scandal at the time, in that the Mayor had bought advanced tickets for him and his staff, friends of friends and so on; about 100 tickets in total. 6000 seats were available and sold out in less than an hour, in a city of roughly 85,000.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sudbury-concert- ... s-1.277744
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:02 pm
I was told most recently she'd be playing Barrett's Privateers but we had to settle for The Mermaid. But hey, still a sea shanty.

MYT
Jag

Post by Jag »

I've seen Paul Simon a bunch of times, but the best was around 1991 (I think). Saw Paul Simon solo at Jones Beach on a Sunday then saw Simon and Garfunkle on the "Old Friends" Tour later that week on Friday at the Paramount and I think in August I went to the solo concert in Central Park. I'm a huge Paul Simon fan. :wub: Always upset that I wasn't old enough to see THE S&G Concert in the Park. (I've also seen every Who farewell tour)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:26 pm I was told most recently she'd be playing Barrett's Privateers but we had to settle for The Mermaid. But hey, still a sea shanty.
Technically if it's the song I'm thinking of, it's a Shel Silverstein song. The band that made it popular recently found that out the hard way as they originally thought it was a hand-me-down and had to give him credit.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mermaid

as sung by Great Big Sea

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I was able to attend my bucket list concert last summer: U2 Joshua Tree. I never thought I'd get a chance since I was too young in the 80s to go the first time around. When they did the reunion tour I was all over it.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm done pining for concerts too, unless someone invents a way-back machine to visit such acts in their prime. More often than not, these geezer-infested nostalgia conventions are over-priced and underwhelming.

I did get to see all of the Talking Heads though, just not as The Talking Heads. Saw Weymouth and Franz (Tom Tom Club), Harrison (solo) and saw Byrne (with a good chunk of the Chicago Symphony) all as separate acts.

Biggest regret is not seeing The Clash (did see Big Audio Dynamite though).

Any chance encounter with a current or former pop music group would likely be in conjunction with a festival of some sort and be included in the price of admission. I suppose though there is a greater than zero chance my wife will desperately want to see someone (like when she was pregnant with our first and had a craving for Bon Jovi).
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:03 pm as sung by Great Big Sea
Yeah, that's who I was referring to. Apparently they had got into a bit of hot water as they hadn't credited him in the liner notes. It sounded so much like a sea shantie that they hadn't realized it was a Shel Silverstein poem until after the album it was on was published. They had heard the song played at parties and decided to record it, it became a hit, the lawyers came calling.

Anyway, I'm glad to have a Music festival in town that attracts all sorts of A-list talent. Don McLean I mentioned before, Bruce Cockburn, Steven Page, and last year Buffy-Ste-Marie.
Last edited by Rumpy on Tue May 22, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Like they do.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:47 pm Anyway, I'm glad to have a Music festival in town that attracts all sorts of A-list talent. Don McLean I mentioned before, Bruce Cockburn, Steven Page, and last year Buffy-Ste-Marie.
Is Cockburn still pining for his rocket launcher? These days such a song might get him put on a terrorist watch list. :ninja:
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:11 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:47 pm Anyway, I'm glad to have a Music festival in town that attracts all sorts of A-list talent. Don McLean I mentioned before, Bruce Cockburn, Steven Page, and last year Buffy-Ste-Marie.
Is Cockburn still pining for his rocket launcher? These days such a song might get him put on a terrorist watch list. :ninja:
You have to realize that the song is actually a song in support of Guatemalan refugees in Mexico and frustration over their treatment by the government, and not a call to arms.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I had the CD which has probably gone unlistened to for a good 25 years are so. All I remember is the havoc he yearned for if he had a rocket launcher. Details are lost in the mist of senility.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:05 pm Details are lost in the mist of senility.
I think it went something like

If I had rocket launcher
(If I had rocket launcher)
I'd buy you a fur coat
(But not a real green monkey, that's cruel)
If I had rocket launcher we wouldn't have to walk to the store
If I had rocket launcher some sunuvabitch would pay
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:12 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:05 pm Details are lost in the mist of senility.
I think it went something like

If I had rocket launcher
(If I had rocket launcher)
I'd buy you a fur coat
(But not a real green monkey, that's cruel)
If I had rocket launcher we wouldn't have to walk to the store
If I had rocket launcher some sunuvabitch would pay
Lol not quite. That's the Barenaked Ladies song, although they did apparently use that last line at some point. :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti