Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

GreenGoo

Re: Random randomness

Post by GreenGoo »

Kasey, this might be worth a thread of its own, especially if you want to keep us abreast of how things develop for you.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'll keep that in mind once I got more to report on. Right now I have an Amazon wishlist of the items I find interesting. Stuff like the five-finger socks or the V-socks, and a couple of the black sneakers (Avia Union II, Sketchers Felton), and a couple insoles, plus attachments to my molle slingpack.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Couldn't find the thread about Alexa being used to investigate a crime, so in my failure to Isgresurrect a thread, I'll put this here

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/wjbz ... t-paranoia
For your smartphone to actually pay attention and record your conversation, there needs to be a trigger, such as when you say “hey Siri” or “okay Google.” In the absence of these triggers, any data you provide is only processed within your own phone. This might not seem a cause for alarm, but any third party applications you have on your phone—like Facebook for example—still have access to this “non-triggered” data. And whether or not they use this data is really up to them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The island with an underwater sandfall.

Enlarge Image

https://www.globotreks.com/destinations ... rs-budget/

The volcanic island of Mauritius.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:34 pm I'll keep that in mind once I got more to report on. Right now I have an Amazon wishlist of the items I find interesting. Stuff like the five-finger socks or the V-socks, and a couple of the black sneakers (Avia Union II, Sketchers Felton), and a couple insoles, plus attachments to my molle slingpack.
Given that you live in SF, I'd actually go with stretching. Walking up and down hills is good exercise, and 16000 steps of it definitely warrants stretching of your calf muscles and hamstrings.

Cheaper, too ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And a lot of it is just conditioning. I've twice gone from relatively sedentary to all day walking jobs. Both times were torture for a period of weeks. A couple of months in it was just routine.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Absolutely it's conditioning, but products can ease the pain while your body strengthens.

Stretching isn't really necessary for just walking. Walking is itself a good warmup exercise.

The walking then driving then walking is probably brutal, as your legs freeze up from hard exercise followed by nearly inert periods in the car. That alone is probably part of what's causing issues.

But mostly it's a heavy guy with weaker muscles. In time he'll be lighter and his legs will be stronger, but the transition is going to hurt, no real way around that (except slowing the transition down, but the job probably doesn't allow for that).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, I agree. I was pushing on the shoes myself earlier. I just wanted to reinforce that a lot of this pain and hassle is going to vanish by fall.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:26 am
Paingod wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 am
Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:03 pm Orca mom finally stops carrying dead baby

The orca mom that either gave stillbirth or lost it after birth and had carried the baby for 17 days and 1000 miles has finally stopped. Really made me sad. Hope she is ok now. So touching how she grieved for her baby.
I get that these are intelligent animals, and this is a sad thing - but it won't stop me from referring to killer whales as "A##holes of the Ocean" - they take too much joy in killing and playing with prey. I started not liking them after seeing a video of them hunting and mercilessly drowning a humpback whale calf with the mother there, unable to stop them both. At the end, all they did was eat the calf's tongue and leave. A##holes.
This particular pod of A##holes is down to 75 individuals, and the dead calf was their first birth in 3 years.
What asshole turned on censoring on the forums?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:26 am This particular pod of A##holes is down to 75 individuals, and the dead calf was their first birth in 3 years.
schadenfreude is a helluva thing.

Said all humpbacks everywhere.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Today Im baking a whole chicken. Not done this in many many years. Found a super simple yet tasty sounding recipe from none other than Sammy Hagar. Besides a whole chicken in my local store is just $3.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:20 am Today Im baking a whole chicken. Not done this in many many years. Found a super simple yet tasty sounding recipe from none other than Sammy Hagar. Besides a whole chicken in my local store is just $3.
FWIW, if it's a whole chicken you're roasting it; if it's pieces of chicken you're baking it. No idea why.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:34 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:03 pm Orca mom finally stops carrying dead baby

The orca mom that either gave stillbirth or lost it after birth and had carried the baby for 17 days and 1000 miles has finally stopped. Really made me sad. Hope she is ok now. So touching how she grieved for her baby.
I get that these are intelligent animals, and this is a sad thing - but it won't stop me from referring to killer whales as "A##holes of the Ocean" - they take too much joy in killing and playing with prey. I started not liking them after seeing a video of them hunting and mercilessly drowning a humpback whale calf with the mother there, unable to stop them both. At the end, all they did was eat the calf's tongue and leave. A##holes.
This particular pod of A##holes is down to 75 individuals, and the dead calf was their first birth in 3 years.
Swearing is not allowed on the internet.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:43 am

Well...fuck.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 am
Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:43 am

Well...fork.
FTFY.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:23 pm The walking then driving then walking is probably brutal, as your legs freeze up from hard exercise followed by nearly inert periods in the car. That alone is probably part of what's causing issues.

But mostly it's a heavy guy with weaker muscles. In time he'll be lighter and his legs will be stronger, but the transition is going to hurt, no real way around that (except slowing the transition down, but the job probably doesn't allow for that).
The driving is only a few minutes apart. Seems my muscles right around my knees have problems, but they do feel a bit better. I generally climb stairs only with my left leg, as my right knee has some problems, esp. if I bend my knees out a bit. However, I can now climb a few steps if I keep my knees more "together" and straight.

Actually, the transition was pretty lucky already. In the past two weeks I've been occasionally allocated a helper, who did most of the running around, and that gave me still some conditioning. One day I thought I ripped my achilles' tendon it hurt so much, but it healed over the weekend. Lucky me.

The job is a bit of PITA sometimes, esp. apartment complexes when there is no map of all the buildings, and these big cargo vans are NOT meant to be driven around tight apartment complexes. U-turn is nearly impossible.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Clameur de Haro.
A woman has activated the ancient Norman rite of Clameur de Haro to protest against the narrowing of a road which she claims would endanger pedestrians and motorists.

Rosie Henderson, from Guernsey, raised the clameur by kneeling and calling for help and reciting the Lord’s Prayer in Norman French. Fully enforceable in Guernsey and Jersey law, it means the construction work in St Peter Port must stop until a court decides the case.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

?!?!

Impressive. I like it when things get old school.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

im weirdly sick. For 2 days going. Weirdly I say because its a weird sick feel.

My kidney is hurting as always but it hurts different. Cant explain it. But been having heartburn so bad I have to drink some milk to coat my esophagus and take tums and such to get it to quit. But the weirdest is a sick stomach. It stays at a low level then will get worse to almost make me puke then it goes down to a low lvl again...all these two days. Im sitting here slightly sick. Its a crappy feeling.

Im baking / roasting a chicken hoping the tender chicken meat will not make it worse and help me feel better. Im sipping Coca Cola and drinking Sprite. Not eating weird or harsh stuff.

I just feel bad all over especially my stomach but without a fever or cough or any other signs of being sick. Dont even feel much like gaming so I know Im way off lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I always tweak my recipes. This time that chicken called for a tablespoon of each salt, onion powder, garlic powder. Thats just too much. I cut the onion and garlic down to just a few pinches and the salt by 3/4. The butter is salted so didn't need much. Also added a good splash of lemon juice. Turned out JUICY and tender...so tasty too. Im very impressed. One recipe called for 400F and 1 hour. Another 350F and 1 1/2 hours. I did 375F and 1 hour 45 min. The last 15 min I raised the heat to 425.

We have both been sick at at stomachs today and weren't sure we'd be able to even smell the chicken once cooked but we ate a couple small bites and I think its actually made us a little less nauseous.

Amazing chicken and not over seasoned.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Try it the other way around. When I roast a chicken, I do 425 for the first 15 minutes, and then I lower it to 375 until the chicken cooks to temperature.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:20 pmIm sipping Coca Cola...
Try dumping the Cola. It's a rich chemical cocktail. My wife used to love having a few diet Cokes during the day. Then, out of the blue, she started having stomach pains and feeling unwell. Not knowing what else to do, she adjusted her diet and cut out colas as it was really the only "bad" (chemically) thing she was consuming. Whatever it was, she felt better in a few days and now avoids them like the plague.
Black Lives Matter

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:25 pm Try it the other way around. When I roast a chicken, I do 425 for the first 15 minutes, and then I lower it to 375 until the chicken cooks to temperature.
This.

You start with the higher temperature to create a nice brown skin, that then traps juices as the rest of the bird cooks. Much like searing a steak on the grill first.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Unagi wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:10 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:25 pm Try it the other way around. When I roast a chicken, I do 425 for the first 15 minutes, and then I lower it to 375 until the chicken cooks to temperature.
This.

You start with the higher temperature to create a nice brown skin, that then traps juices as the rest of the bird cooks. Much like searing a steak on the grill first.
FYI, the searing sealing in juices is just a commonly repeated myth. Searing adds deliciousness, but doesn't actually stop any moisture from leaving.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The best way to keep moisture in a steak is to leave it in the cow and just have a veggie burger. :D
Black Lives Matter

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:19 am
This.

FYI, the searing sealing in juices is just a commonly repeated myth. Searing adds deliciousness, but doesn't actually stop any moisture from leaving.
Yes, thank you.

You posted this as I was finding this video where Alton proves it:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/to-s ... sear-98517
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The name of Alton has been spoken. There can be no further discussion.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The music video director? Seems like a strange pull.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:24 am
This.

Yes, thank you.

I actually think I saw that too, so - double shame on me :doh: :doh:

, but still - you start high, then go low.... period.
:D

(and I do believe it keeps juices in the bird)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant get that video to show up and play. I also only found one other copy of it online and it also was blank and didn't play.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:02 pm I cant get that video to show up and play. I also only found one other copy of it online and it also was blank and didn't play.
I had to maximize the window first and then hit play. It took a few seconds to launch...
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Unagi wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:32 am
This.

Yes, thank you.

I do agree. That's how they teach you to do birds in culinary school...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think I need to start a [Dads] thread to keep track of these great stories. Today my dad asked me if I could get him a wireless speaker. Of course the question is only part of the fun, because of course you want to know what a 72 year old man with an answering machine wants with a wireless speaker.

The answer is that he wants to be able to play his vinyl albums on a record player in their basement but hear them in the living room. I'm sure most of you are thinking, why not just move the record player to the living room? However, that's apparently not an option here as it bothers my mother. The record player is from 1972 (I think) so I explained that maybe there's some type of magic receiver I could connect it to that would then broadcast via Bluetooth to a wireless speaker. This seems like a lot of work, but if a 72 year old man wants me to run this down, I guess I will. In doing some quick research they apparently make turntables with Bluetooth transmitters already built in, so for added hilarity I'll see if he wants that instead.

I don't know if this is a normal relationship for an adult child to have with their parents, but sometimes I feel like a concierge that dabbles in bizarre requests.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:27 pm
This.

Yes, thank you.

As I understand it, it's less about the juices and more about getting the skin crisp and making sure the dark meat gets done. If my memories of Alton are correct.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hentzau wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:16 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:27 pm
This.

Yes, thank you.

As I understand it, it's less about the juices and more about getting the skin crisp and making sure the dark meat gets done. If my memories of Alton are correct.
And I agree with this. When I was agreeing before it was to the "Start high temp and then drop down" method. Crisp skin should be the goal.

If you want to keep moisture in the bird a brine is best.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:20 pm

If you want to keep moisture in the bird a brine is best.
Or use the beer can method on the grill.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:57 pm In doing some quick research they apparently make turntables with Bluetooth transmitters already built in, so for added hilarity I'll see if he wants that instead.
We have one of those. Make sure you read through the details carefully. Ours does not send the sound out via bluetooth; instead, it works as a bluetooth receiver. So I can select it from my phone and have it play Pandora through its speakers. But I cannot listen to the records through my bluetooth headphones. So just make sure you are getting one that will actually transmit.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good to know! Thanks.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:57 pm I think I need to start a [Dads] thread to keep track of these great stories. Today my dad asked me if I could get him a wireless speaker. Of course the question is only part of the fun, because of course you want to know what a 72 year old man with an answering machine wants with a wireless speaker.

The answer is that he wants to be able to play his vinyl albums on a record player in their basement but hear them in the living room. I'm sure most of you are thinking, why not just move the record player to the living room? However, that's apparently not an option here as it bothers my mother. The record player is from 1972 (I think) so I explained that maybe there's some type of magic receiver I could connect it to that would then broadcast via Bluetooth to a wireless speaker. This seems like a lot of work, but if a 72 year old man wants me to run this down, I guess I will. In doing some quick research they apparently make turntables with Bluetooth transmitters already built in, so for added hilarity I'll see if he wants that instead.

I don't know if this is a normal relationship for an adult child to have with their parents, but sometimes I feel like a concierge that dabbles in bizarre requests.
At least you're getting "Can you help me with the Google? I keep typing my password into it, but I can't see my AOL."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm grateful that my mom is relatively tech-savvy. My in-laws, on the other hand, are hopeless. Neither of them even have cell phones.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.