Octocon XXIV - March 29-30

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

Octocon XXIV - March 29-30

Post by hentzau »

Currently working on reserving the Fellowship Hall for the 29th-30th of March. Thats the same weekend of Adepticon here, but I can't really get another spring date that works with my calendar and the church calendar. Hope this works for most folks...
Last edited by hentzau on Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Bad Demographic

Re: Octocon XXIV - March 29-30 - Save the date

Post by Bad Demographic »

We're thinking about flying up for this, so we're trying to figure out what games (if any) we could bring. We won't be able to bring much. The only games we have that we think you will play and that you might not already have are "Roll for the Galaxy", "King Domino" and "Deep Sea Adventure". Do you guys already have those?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I know that Roll for the Galaxy shows up at almost every OctoCon. Haven’t heard any locals talk about the other two. Be great to see you and Bob for this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Octocon XXIV - March 29-30 - Save the date

Post by Zarathud »

I'm in. Really want to play Endeavor and Rising Sun.

It would be great to see you and Bob again, BadDemo. I have Roll for the Galaxy. I'm sure the Chicago locals have most games covered. Just let us know what to bring. I promise not to run a game that gets out of control again!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Date saved.
hentzau

Re: Octocon XXIV - March 29-30

Post by hentzau »

One week, folks. Everybody know where they're going, or do I need to post all of the details again?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I need a reminder on what time doors open.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Noon on Friday, 9AM on Saturday.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Thanks!
You've been camping this thread all night waiting for someone to post haven't you. :)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I’ve worn out the F5 key on my laptop...
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'll be there. Need a break from work.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, it wouldn't be a gaming event if I didn't pick up a cold from someone. I hope I didn't end up transferring it to someone else as well!

Thanks for setting this up again, Hentzau! Sorry we ran until the last minute on Saturday night with our game of Terraforming Mars (which was WAY more cutthroat than I'm used to :shock: ). I felt horrible that I didn't just drop out and help clean up. :(
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Well, it wouldn't be a gaming event if I didn't pick up a cold from someone. I hope I didn't end up transferring it to someone else as well!

Thanks for setting this up again, Hentzau! Sorry we ran until the last minute on Saturday night with our game of Terraforming Mars (which was WAY more cutthroat than I'm used to :shock: ). I felt horrible that I didn't just drop out and help clean up. :(
It’s all good! Had lots of help to clean up.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:01 am Well, it wouldn't be a gaming event if I didn't pick up a cold from someone. I hope I didn't end up transferring it to someone else as well!
I'm not going to name any names, but I did see Bad Demographic dipping her toes in the coffee Saturday morning.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:01 am Well, it wouldn't be a gaming event if I didn't pick up a cold from someone. I hope I didn't end up transferring it to someone else as well!

It seems like TM is all we ever play any more. I'm used to the game being very cut throat. After playing for over a year where nearly every gaming session is dominated by 2 to 3 rounds of TM, I'm impressed that no game really plays in to a winning a formula. You have adapt. One of us likes to play grab the science tags and card draw while hoarding the ability to drop Jovian based victory points on that last round but quite frankly, the strategy only works if the cards come up, if we let him draft, if you let the game go 11 or 12 rounds, and if someone else doesn't have something better happening. There are just so many avenues to success where you both have to force other people's hands and you have to roll with punches. TMs only drawback is that even when we play the game with regard with trying to counterpunch each other, a three player game is 2.5 hours. It a good 2.5 hours but it's still a long game for something we try to play "light." If we really took the deep analysis approach, it would bore me to tears and I'd want to pass on it for another game. All that said, it is still cutthroat. Hate Drafting is viable, jumping back and forth between 1 and 2 actions to force people to play out of turn or outlast them in a generation, colony hoarding, spite trading, surprise achievement hunting, running up or stalling global parameters, city blocking forest expansion. It's all there to be cut throat. But at the same time, if you play to be an ass, you're playing losing game. There is no room to screw someone over for the sake of screwing them over. You have to screw someone over precisely because it's good play to advance your game... with the exception of hate drafting.... There are rare occasions when you have to hate draft even when there's a card you know fits your game. Out of of what, typically, between 38 to 54 total cards drafted in a game, I might hate draft 2 cards against choosing what is actually better for me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Our 4 player game ran almost 4 hours, I believe. But we were pretty punch drunk by that point, and the joking around took precedence to actually taking our turns a few times.

As for Bad Demographic and her foot poisoning attempt, I was not witness to it. But I suspected something was amiss when she showed up in open toe sandals and a giant bag with a hazmat warning symbol on it.

I'm just glad I got to play a game of my beloved Pax Porfiriana. Now I just want to play it more.
He won. Period.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Open toe sandals (in the snow) not withstanding, I really enjoyed seeing you guys and gaming with you. Now that I sort of know how to play Dinogenics I plan to play some of the solo scenarios.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:11 am
I'm just glad I got to play a game of my beloved Pax Porfiriana. Now I just want to play it more.
I'd play again. Sooner than later so I don't completely forget how to play.
Also, thanks to everybody who agreed to play Root with me. That's my current obsession.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I still have a deep love for Villainous. I got in two games of it, had a great time each time. And really enjoyed Dinogenics, even if we played it wrong.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I am going to do my damnedest to make it next year.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Archinerd wrote:
hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:11 am
I'd play again. Sooner than later so I don't completely forget how to play.
Also, thanks to everybody who agreed to play Root with me. That's my current obsession.
I would play either. Pax is my White Whale that one day I will one day be able to catch and slay. Instead of just enjoying it while playing terribly.

Root is just a ton of fun. Thanks for the excuse to play, and using your player boards with the tweaks. Finding out the Cats aren't guaranteed a Dominance win on the corners was great to learn. Now BGG tells me the player meta is usually for players to mess up the Cats.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Root - I finally read the rules for the Vagabond & Lizard Cult yesterday and while comparing them to base rules I found two more rules we didn't quite get right.
1 - Woodland Alliance can only have 5 Supporter cards (face down stack) max unless a base is built. I don't think this situation actually came up but it's a hard one to remember.
2 - Dominance cards that are played for suite are separated from discard and put face up near the board. Anyone can discard a card to pick it up on their turn (during Birdsong I think), and then play it for suite or to alter their victory condition.