Post by dbt1949 »

It happens to everybody.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Carpet_pissr

COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wife got second Pfizer yesterday afternoon.

Woke me up at 3am this morning sweating and with 102 fever. Said she felt like she had a bad case of flu. Has persisted until now, with fever only dropping after she took a couple of Advil.

Hopefully she feels better in the am, but it sure has me reconsidering if I want my second.

I’m quite the pussy when it comes to fevers and such. Breaking bones, stuff popping out of joint, getting seriously cut, I handle well.

Very high fever and severe cold symptoms? Toast.

The nurse that gave her the shot said that ppl with strong immune systems seem to be the ones having the more severe reactions.

FWIW she had nothing but a little arm soreness after the first one.
hitbyambulance

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by hitbyambulance »

i was finally allowed to sign up for the City of Seattle waitlist today...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:47 pm The nurse that gave her the shot said that ppl with strong immune systems seem to be the ones having the more severe reactions.

My unscientific observation indicates that, for Pfizer, the second jab is usually worse than the first, and women suffer more than men do. Wife had a stronger reaction to #1 than I did, with four days of fatigue compared to one day for me.

Definitely going to schedule a couple days of downtime after I get my second prick. I don't enjoy flu symptoms, but I can cope if it's transient.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:46 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:47 pm The nurse that gave her the shot said that ppl with strong immune systems seem to be the ones having the more severe reactions.

My unscientific observation indicates that, for Pfizer, the second jab is usually worse than the first, and women suffer more than men do. Wife had a stronger reaction to #1 than I did, with four days of fatigue compared to one day for me.

Definitely going to schedule a couple days of downtime after I get my second prick. I don't enjoy flu symptoms, but I can cope if it's transient.
I got 2 jabs of Pfizer and didn't get anything worse than a sore arm. My wife had some mild body aches, but that's it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Michelle got her first Moderna two days ago. There was a bit of a scare. She has some nasty reactions to bee stings, and normally has an epipen around for the anaphylaxis. She got her shot, they asked her to wait for 30 minutes, and after about 15 her throat started to swell shut. She said it only lasted a couple of minutes, though, then went back to normal. She's had the usual tender arm and fatigue since then.

I get my Moderna jab on Monday. It's my birthday, and it's the best present I could hope for.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Wow. Think what would happen if she got the actual disease.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:53 am I get my Moderna jab on Monday. It's my birthday, and it's the best present I could hope for.
Sweet! I get my 2nd jab a week after my bday, and I have similar sentiments to you.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The Meal wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:50 pm MHS and I got out second shots today (Pfizer). At T+6h29m I can say my symptoms have mimicked shot #1 (lethargy). I hope that's all I get as my first day at the new job is on Monday and I don't exactly want "flu like symptoms" to be part of my first impression.
FULLY VACCINATED!!! ROAR!!!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:47 pm Wife got second Pfizer yesterday afternoon.

Woke me up at 3am this morning sweating and with 102 fever. Said she felt like she had a bad case of flu. Has persisted until now, with fever only dropping after she took a couple of Advil.

That's pretty much exactly my experience.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:40 pm I got my first Pfizer shot yesterday and the only side effect so far is that I can understand what dogs are saying.
Not a problem. Now if you start understanding lizards it means the full DNA mutation has kicked in.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So awesome! So happy for everyone who has gotten vaccinated!

Hey Smoove, what is your specific specialty? I keep quoting you to my hyper science friends and they want to know what your background is in, if you don't mind saying.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Lorini wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:57 am Hey Smoove, what is your specific specialty? I keep quoting you to my hyper science friends and they want to know what your background is in, if you don't mind saying.
I am licensed to practice public health in the state of NJ. I have numerous additional licenses and certifications tied to that, but they're all focused on environmental health. My undergraduate degree is in public health and I have a masters in public administration. I've been teaching undergraduate public and environmental health for 12 years now based on all that at a public university here in Jerz. Before the pandemic started (literally, 2 months before) I was working as a process-improvement consultant in local public health but that got shut down with the quickness once the pandemic started. I'm not sure if it will resume this year, but I'm hopeful. Prior to that I'd been working on and off part-time (as my daughter got older) in local public health, mainly taking temp work as it was available. I've taught introductory courses to my peers on epidemiology and outbreak investigations and have hands-on experience in dealing with outbreaks (the largest was in a county jail). It looks like your state has a similar job role, listed here. Right before my daughter was born I had transitioned into working as a health and safety director at a community college (a job that I loved), but I left that world behind in what feels like a lifetime ago. :D

I've written emergency response plans and participated in numerous drills and round-table events - including pandemic scenarios. On 9/11 I was in a command bunker staring wildly at a room full of people being helpful while I had nothing to add. I've run countless vaccination clinics (for humans and pets) and hopefully made lives better for various communities here in the state.

I'm still tapped into the info stream as I'm technically a contact tracer for the state (though I was never activated). However, because of that connection, I'm still being provided with lots and lots of information (that I try to share when I can) regarding the status of the pandemic and the response.

I can say that after ~24 years I'm no where close to where I thought I'd be in the field, but all things considered it's been a good ride. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Awesome! Turns out I have a political science BA with a focus on public administration....was too lazy to go and finish the MPA even though it would have only been 11 more classes.

You're doing the hard work Smoove, thank you for all that you've done in working with the public with this terrible pandemic.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

My wife is now 2+ weeks out from her second shot. I’m getting my second shot on Tuesday. Both of my kids (18 and 20) are getting their first shots today. We will feel better about 5 weeks from now.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Bad news for horseshoe crabs that were hoping to mate in peace: I was able to reschedule my 2nd Moderna shot for Tuesday, so I’ll be able to go on my scheduled spawning survey Monday night.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:49 pm Bad news for horseshoe crabs that were hoping to mate in peace: I was able to reschedule my 2nd Moderna shot for Tuesday, so I’ll be able to go on my scheduled spawning survey Monday night.
Perv.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Finally got the J&J shot 04/08 after weeks being essential and priority. No ill effects to date.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

It's still looking like a summer/fall vaccine time for me - however some people I work with around my age have got their first jab as they live in a "hotzone". Also we are the only country currently fighting three different variants at the same time.

We desperately need leadership and vaccines in this country, it's killing people and our ICUs are rammed (at least in Ontario, can't speak for the other hard hit provinces). Hard to watch this continue to burn, meanwhile the anti-mask anti-lockdown movement is gaining traction - some businesses have been ignoring the lockdown order as they are going to go bankrupt anyways, they don't care if they get fined.

Things are not good up here for a lot of folks!
No.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When you get to hell, tell smallpox we say hello.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

naednek wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:59 pmSears hasn't seen so many customers in years!
The people working at that new Raymour & Flanigan were (briefly) very excited.
Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:46 amMy unscientific observation indicates that, for Pfizer, the second jab is usually worse than the first, and women suffer more than men do. Wife had a stronger reaction to #1 than I did, with four days of fatigue compared to one day for me.

My wife, who usually reacts to everything, had only minor responses to her second Pfizer dose. She's well past two weeks since then.

My mother got her second dose of Moderna this morning. She's retired, so planning for a day or two of hanging out on the couch watching baseball was no big deal.

My two younger kids (17 and 20) and I are all getting our second dose of Pfizer next Monday. I've already told my boss to pencil in the following day as a day-off for me, just in case.

We're all planning for a family trip down to my mom's 2 1/5 weeks after that. We've been there twice during the pandemic, but stayed masked the whole time except while eating (and my mom ate in a separate room from us).

On April 6, only 10 days after I got my first dose, the NJ Department of Health sent me an email saying "It is now time to schedule your appointment to get a COVID-19 vaccine".
Conform or be cast out!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Finally got my first Pfizer jab today. The process of parking in the convention center was a bit of a clusterfuck but the actual vaccination process was incredibly well-organized and efficient. Scheduled for my second dose May 2.

I'm celebrating by attending a Decemberists concert tonight.

In my living room since it's a virtual show. :mrgreen:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:47 pm Wife got second Pfizer yesterday afternoon.

How would you characterize your immune system?

Wife FINALLY today woke up feeling 95%. That’s about the worst case of side effects I think I’ve heard. Both in scope and length.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:18 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:

How would you characterize your immune system?

Wife FINALLY today woke up feeling 95%. That’s about the worst case of side effects I think I’ve heard. Both in scope and length.
I'd say it's pretty strong.

I had a low grade fever (~102), chills, muscle aches. Felt like I had been in a fight. But it only lasted about 12-14 hours from peak. Got shot on a Thursday afternoon, started feeling poorly Friday noon, left work at 4 feeling terrible, sat through a virtual recital for the kiddo until 7 or so, went to bed with peak symptoms, woke up on and off but by 9am or so Saturday felt fine. Was 100% by Sunday, maybe a bit dehydrated.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Second shot of Modena in arm manifested!!! A little disconcerting when the guy giving the shot strongly advised advil and wished me luck, but otherwise feeling good. Okay, it's passed my lunchtime so I'm really starving, but otherwise good!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

So far, I only know one person that has received their first shot. A friend's step-mom was at a pharmacy for other reasons, and one of the staff offered her the shot (AZ) on the spot. I don't know for sure, but I'd hazard a guess that they had one or more doses left over that needed to be used or discarded, so they offered it to any eligible customer that happened to be on hand.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My eldest and I got our first Moderna today. Michelle was last week. Caiden is a week from today.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:17 pm Second shot of Modena in arm manifested!!! A little disconcerting when the guy giving the shot strongly advised advil and wished me luck, but otherwise feeling good. Okay, it's passed my lunchtime so I'm really starving, but otherwise good!
My 84 year old father had no trouble whatsoever with it.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I have my 1st shot scheduled for Thursday. I will feel a lot better when both my wife and I are vaccinated.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:35 pm So far, I only know one person that has received their first shot.
...and I can hardly think of any adult that hasn't. When I got my first shot almost two weeks ago I felt like I was the last one in Texas and my friends across most of the states have had it as well, as well as one that lives in Mexico and flew into Florida (his official US state of residence) with his wife to get it yesterday.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:30 pm
Max Peck wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:35 pm So far, I only know one person that has received their first shot.
...and I can hardly think of any adult that hasn't. When I got my first shot almost two weeks ago I felt like I was the last one in Texas and my friends across most of the states have had it as well, as well as one that lives in Mexico and flew into Florida (his official US state of residence) with his wife to get it yesterday.
It felt like I was among the last of people who want them but as it turns out there are still more than a few under 50 and healthy non health care and non teachers and non other "essential" workers that are still waiting their turn. It just happens that most people I know seem to be above 50, so my perception was off and the vaccinated case I know under 50 drown out those that aren't. I can only assume the non vaccinated demographic is shifting to those who aren't actively using resources to search every single day now, though as more and more openings happen as more and more people who have been obsessively looking (like myself) have been served.
stessier

Post by stessier »

There's no waiting in my part of South Carolina at all now - you can make same day appointments with ease. We've opened it up to 16+. When I got my shot, they had three people set to give shots. In the 20 minutes I was there, only 3 others got vaccinated. Most of the workers were reading and trying desperately not to fall asleep.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Illinois is open to 16+. However, Chicago is not because our mayor wants to leverage control of the vaccine...somehow? Indiana has closed down to Chicago vaccine seekers.

So I'm coming up on 3 months fully vaccinated and my wife is still waiting to schedule first shot.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Can she schedule in the burbs? Are they checking residence? I know some suburbanites were previously traveling all over the state to get poked, but I don't know if that would work for Chicagoans.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:25 pm Illinois is open to 16+. However, Chicago is not because our mayor wants to leverage control of the vaccine...somehow? Indiana has closed down to Chicago vaccine seekers.

So I'm coming up on 3 months fully vaccinated and my wife is still waiting to schedule first shot.
Michigan is open 16+ which is being leveraged by providers with more vaccine than they have patients. Makes sense. It's also being taken advantage of by people of means, which I don't care for but it is what it is. But if you don't have means and aren't in a pocket where vaccines exceed takers and you don't have a provider that is part of rollout and you aren't daily combing findavaccine sites to find those excess vaccine pockets then you still might be stuck on "65+, please keep checking back". So if you are an unvaccinated SE Michigander, I recommend checking clickondetroit dot com every morning to see their recommendations. That was how I found my CVS pocket of openings in an under-served part of Detroit. Sadly taking someone in that area's vaccine for the time because it was the first in state spot I could find who would take me.

Check with your local peeps to find a good equivalent clickondetroit. other freinds recommended vaccinefinder dot org but I never dug into deep enough once I found clickondetroit who were doing a fantastic job of making sure no vaccine goes on unused in the area.

Edit

First search looked good to me for you

https://vaccinefinder.org/results/?zipc ... &radius=25
Last edited by LordMortis on Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:25 pm Illinois is open to 16+. However, Chicago is not because our mayor wants to leverage control of the vaccine...somehow? Indiana has closed down to Chicago vaccine seekers.

Your wife is 16?

I had no idea that Matt Gaetz posted on OO.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jerry Lee Lawbeef

But on a serious note, Zarathud's wife hipped me to instavaxx and I got my first shot Thursday one day after registering with them. My 2nd shot is scheduled for May 2nd.
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Got the first does of Moderna on the 9th. Nausea and diarrhea for the day, and a sore arm for a couple of days.
Zarathud

COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Zarathud »

Thought I had Moderna but that’s what my wife received today for her second shot. My shot turned out to be the Pfizer from the second entry on my Vaccine Card, so our household gets to experiment on which one is more effective.

The trick in Chicago was learning that the pharmacy chain opened all new slots at its 6 am business open. So log in early and type in the data quickly. The intake was a helpful “confirm you are eligible” questionnaire that any high school savvy multiple choice taker could game. The first two options are quite obviously incorrect. I’m pretty sure you could answer until you filled out the form correctly.

2 weeks from today. Just in time for a visit by my sister from California who has been fully vaccinated for months.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold