What coffee are you drinking right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

raydude

Re: What coffee are you drinking right now?

Post by raydude »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Jeff V wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:51 pm Mostly I drink medium or light roasts. Light roasts have a little more acidity and more nuanced flavor but aren't as plentiful outside of various blends.
Tried any robusta?
This is my current go-to. Pushed through a Phin filter and served over condensed milk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Those ads get heavy rotation in my Facebook feed.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Bro, do you even roast?

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:45 pm Watch Z-Corn’s brain unravel in front of us when he clicks on this link:
https://www.staples.com/java-roast-fre ... t_24323958

Also, while you hulk smash the thread after seeing that, please let us know your thoughts on “banana” coffee. :P

Finally: we must be seriously hard up for topics considering this thread seems to have been started by a spam bot. Or possibly a spam human, but I’m guessing the former.
Christ...yes...I've been...restraining for a while now...

OK, drink what you want, enjoy what brings you pleasure...

A flavored coffee is made with the cheapest beans available on the world market. They spray flavor syrup on beans nobody would drink otherwise.

If you like that, respect.

After the war, as part of rebuilding efforts, Vietnam was hastily planted with robusta beans everywhere that was available, often at very low altitudes where coffee had never been grown. This produces a very low quality bean. A bean that is only made delicious by spraying flavor on it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:02 pm I enjoy spam, specifically the peppercorn spam. but thats a tale for another thread.
You disgust me, sir.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Jeff V wrote:
Jaymon wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:02 pm I enjoy spam, specifically the peppercorn spam. but thats a tale for another thread.
You disgust me, sir.
I'd move back to Hawaii in a second just to get some Spam Musubi from a convenience store.Image
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

First, why would anyone eat that? Second, it looks exceedingly simple to make, why go all the way to Hawaii for it?
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Jeff V wrote:First, why would anyone eat that? Second, it looks exceedingly simple to make, why go all the way to Hawaii for it?
Good questions.

#1. It's delicious

#2. Very simple recipe indeed. I've tried it everywhere on the mainland and it never compares to getting it in a gas station somewhere in Maui.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:42 pm If you like that, respect.
I don't think you really mean that. :P

Also, I don't buy into the idea (anymore) that Arabica beans are per se "better" than Robusta. A lot of that is a shit ton of marketing by good ol' Juan Valdez and co. Unless you sneer at the vast majority of espresso found in European cafe's (which you could, I have no idea), some of the best espresso in the world (IMO) includes a LOT of Robusta coffee beans (25% or more blended with Arabica, and sometimes much higher %).

I wouldn't want to drink 100% pre-ground Robusta in a drip maker, but high quality Robusta exists, and it's awesome when mixed with the lower caffeinated Arabica. Also helps with crema production.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Xmann wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:35 am
Jeff V wrote:First, why would anyone eat that? Second, it looks exceedingly simple to make, why go all the way to Hawaii for it?
Good questions.

#1. It's delicious

#2. Very simple recipe indeed. I've tried it everywhere on the mainland and it never compares to getting it in a gas station somewhere in Maui.
#1. Yes, yes it is. My kids were born and raised Mainlanders so as someone who grew up in Hawaii I was overjoyed when they loved Spam and Spam Musubi.

#2. We make our own. I have a musubi press and it's not that hard. I don't do it often, since the girls are perfectly happy eating spam and rice and the little nori sheets separately.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:33 pm ...high quality Robusta exists...
Oh absolutely, it's just not grown at low altitudes in Vietnam. That's my specific dig on that bean.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:04 pm Bro, do you even roast?
Like the bit, don't like the politics.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:37 pm
Yeah, I hadn't realized he had become that way (or maybe always was and I just didn't know).

Physically, he seems to be following the Carrot Top arc.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:47 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:37 pm
Yeah, I hadn't realized he had become that way (or maybe always was and I just didn't know).

Physically, he seems to be following the Carrot Top arc.
Someone I knew posted some of his anti-vax satire in 2019 and the memory of that pretty much put a damper on future appreciation. That's likely my own blinders but it is what it is.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:51 pm I also bought some Folgers 1850 because I needed a new can. (I dump bagged coffee into a can for convenience and to keep it a wee bit fresher.)
It turns out that I actually bought Folgers Noir "Rich Satin," which is a different premium line than 1850, and it's pretty good. If "cheap" is something you appreciate in coffee, this one's worth your $4. And I like the plastic can, too.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:28 pm Oh absolutely, it's just not grown at low altitudes in Vietnam. That's my specific dig on that bean.
Quick question - what beans are used for the coffee you can buy in Vietnam? I don't remember the brands. Specifically grown in Vietnam but purchased in the grocery store and not a specialty coffee roaster. I ask because I brought some back and it made a pretty decent cup in a french press or pour over method.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Don't know about the Vietnam coffee, but I just ground up a fresh batch of this, and am drinking it right now.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Madmarcus wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:18 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:28 pm Oh absolutely, it's just not grown at low altitudes in Vietnam. That's my specific dig on that bean.
Quick question - what beans are used for the coffee you can buy in Vietnam? I don't remember the brands. Specifically grown in Vietnam but purchased in the grocery store and not a specialty coffee roaster. I ask because I brought some back and it made a pretty decent cup in a french press or pour over method.
I use Trung Nguyen that I get from Amazon to make iced coffee with a phin but I have seen it in stores also.

https://www.amazon.com/Trung-Nguyen-Vie ... 189&sr=8-1
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Burundi Incuti-Kayanza that I roasted to just shy of medium. It's bright, and fruity, and citrusy without being mouth-puckering. Not my typical preference, but I like to try something different now and then.