Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gilraen

Re: Random randomness

Post by gilraen »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:09 pm I think it's likely it's not going to last as long in your fridge (spoilage)
I don't know how long mayo is supposed to last, but we buy ours at Costco (the 64oz plastic jar). We don't eat that much mayo...it will easily last us 6-8 months, long past the "best by" date on the label. Never had any problems with it spoiling :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think commercial mayonnaise has a recommended consume-after-opening date of ~90 days. But again, that's a quality recommendation, not a safety one. I can't recall ever hearing someone say they had a jar or squeeze bottle of old (6+ month) mayonnaise in their fridge and it tasted funny or off.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Unagi wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:35 am So, you make a sandwich at about 8:30 at night and fail to put the mayonnaise back in the fridge. It's a new squeeze bottle that you just unsealed.

And maybe this is to Smoove really, but I'd be curious what the hive mind would do...

When you wake up in the morning, do you trash your new mayonnaise and buy a new one, or do you stick it in the fridge and move on?
it's fine, especially with all the preservatives already in it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At this point just eat it. You have a 50/50 chance. Maybe it will go bad sooner than it would have.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My intense phobia about food spoilage dictates my personal recommendation of “when in doubt, throw it all away and buy new stuff”.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Britain Signals Intent to Revert to the Imperial System
The government announced plans to allow shops to sell produce in pounds and ounces, rather than using the metric system, as part of an effort to “capitalize on new Brexit freedoms.”
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:00 pm Britain Signals Intent to Revert to the Imperial System
The government announced plans to allow shops to sell produce in pounds and ounces, rather than using the metric system, as part of an effort to “capitalize on new Brexit freedoms.”
I notice when I watch the Formula 1 race coverage provided by a British sports network (Sky) they tend to take in mph not kph.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah, returning to traditions just because they're counter to what the other guy does. Next week? Serfdom.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:00 pm Britain Signals Intent to Revert to the Imperial System
Good luck with your exports.

Or is this just so the local butcher can feel patriotic about weighing the kidneys in lbs rather than kgs?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I feel like kidneys should be weighed in stones. Or maybe millistones.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

We readily survived the experiment.

I had mostly formed the same theory about the squeeze bottle and exposure, and figured the 12 hour room-temp on a brand new mayo, was basically the same item I had just taken off the store's shelf.

The only difference would have been the air that was let into the container when I removed the seal, and then any condensation of that air due to the fact that I had originally chilled the new mayo when I bought it (still sealed).

When Smoove gave the green-light: Turkey Sammys were made. :horse:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’ve never been a truck guy. Never owned one, never had any desire to.

Is a tailgate that transforms into different configurations really as big a deal to truck people as every other truck ad makes it out to be?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Big deal? No. Would I mind being able to step easily into the bed instead of having to climb up using the tire or back bumper? No, no I wouldn't mind that at all. But I probably wouldn't pay much for the privilege either.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:25 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:14 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:06 pm The wife and I are boomers, although I think of us as the Greatest :D

Muhammad Ali !!!
U2K!
Dammit I was actually about to press "Submit" for that and decided that first I should search to see the last time he posted. Instead I found your post. :x

He definitely was Tha Greate$t, though. Turns out he's been gone over 15 years! Seems like only yesterday. *sniff*
Conform or be cast out!
disarm

Post by disarm »

Skinypupy wrote:I’ve never been a truck guy. Never owned one, never had any desire to.

Is a tailgate that transforms into different configurations really as big a deal to truck people as every other truck ad makes it out to be?
As someone currently considering a new truck, I would say anything that differentiates one brand from another is significant. I think the most critical thing for anyone is some sort of bed step. Modern trucks sit high, so integrating a step somewhere to make getting into the bed easier is huge. Ford has a step that folds out of the tailgate. GM has steps built-in into the bumper, or GMC's Multipro tailgate that turns into a step (or others things). Ram has a small kick-step that's drops from under the bumper. These all make it much easier to get in the back of your truck.

The tailgate that really impressed me, however, is the 'Multifunction' tailgate available on Ram trucks. It's a tailgate that can either drop down normally, or open like a pair of doors. Why is this useful? Because you can open your doors and access the bed without have to reach over the gate. Pair this with a bed divider that keeps items from sliding forward and out of reach, and you can easily use the back for small items and not have to climb into the bed to reach them... especially useful if you're short or have kids.

These small things might seem insignificant, but when you're using the truck constantly, the added convenience can be huge. In a competitive market, every little thing matters.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My first vehicle, acquired at 17, was a 1973 Ford F250. Since then I haven't owned a truck, nor do I particularly want one. But I can see some utility in what they're describing, especially given the popularity of raised vehicles.

But remember who this stuff is marketed to, too. Around here trucks probably outnumber cars, and by far the most popular trucks are the ones that are tricked out with extra features. The people that don't have trucks like that tend to wish they did (and pretend they do, putting high end accessories on worn out junk.) Trucks aren't just utility vehicles to truck people around here, they're status symbols, and having a fancier truck than the guy next to you is like having the better stereo or paint job somewhere else. Around here kids with rick parents aren't the one with street racers or convertibles, they're the ones rollin' coal.
And well, I was walking along when suddenly these jocks in this bright blue pickup drove up. It had KC lights, tractor tires, everything but the CB. It was a life-size Hot Wheels car for some dumb rich kid...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm 30 minutes into a 2 full-day company-wide sales conference on Zoom. With over 1,000 people on the Zoom, so far we've had:

- Presenter's laptop froze
- Audio wouldn't work on one of the videos they showed
- Battery on their webcam died
- Random video from tomorrow's presentation randomly started playing over the presenter
- One presenter disconnected
- Multiple people didn't mute their mics so we were hearing all sorts of random conversations

It's gonna be a loooooong two days.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hopefully they're better/smarter with security protocols as an online food seminar hosted by NC State yesterday was zoom-bombed with all kinds of horrific racist and sexual imagery.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember a time when dangling participles were the bane of my existence.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:41 pm I remember a time when dangling participles were the bane of my existence.
Looking around this thread, dangling participles are not evident.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In the span of a week its gone from high in the 90s and low in the 70s to this

Enlarge Image
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Looking at those temperatures, the range seems quite moderate.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I got some guava juice. Nothing special; just Dole, and then an Oasis tropical mix that also has guava in it.

I noticed, for the second time, that something tastes "grassy". I don't know how else to explain it. It's how I imagine it tasting if someone accidentally blended the leaves into the drink. I sometimes get similar notes from pineapple juice. I don't like it. I didn't get this from a different blend... I think it was Del Monte guava mango.

Is this just the way guava tastes? I've been drinking guava drinks occasionally since I was a kid, but I'm guessing what I had back then was heavily diluted with other juices and more of a cocktail.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not that I recall. Ive had orange juice that taste like they left the peel on though.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We've reached the part of the story where students are sending me emojis.
Though this emoji can have a number of meanings, in the context of texting with a crush it usually signifies thanks. It means that your crush is feeling grateful to have you in their life.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:59 pm We've reached the part of the story where students are sending me emojis.
Though this emoji can have a number of meanings, in the context of texting with a crush it usually signifies thanks. It means that your crush is feeling grateful to have you in their life.
Smoove the lady killer :)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:lol:

I had the same thought (that image). Lord, we're all old.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:12 pm :lol:

I had the same thought (that image). Lord, we're all old.
Some of us are old. Apparently some of us are "distinguished".

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For some reason the reactors on YouTube have been watching this movie. The girl ones usually roll their eyes :)...but they all agree Indy was hot young. Lol. I actually thought he was old at the time. I was in jr high.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:27 am In the span of a week its gone from high in the 90s and low in the 70s to this

Enlarge Image

Weather since March... High 80s to 100 or heavy rain. I think we had one cool non rainy day in the interim. IIRC, it was humid as hell and may as well have been in the 80s.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:59 pm We've reached the part of the story where students are sending me emojis.
Do you also take it when your fellow forumers post :wub: that they love you in your high heels?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Apparently Millenials and older are out of touch because we tend to use emojis literally. E.g. in one article it was suggested that younger generations use the simple smiley face ironically and it's more likely to be interpreted as sarcasm or menace. Well, someone had better write a damn dictionary.

I think I already mentioned I was on a Discord that's primarily 18-25 (I'm 37), and I shared a silly story in an appropriate channel. Someone referred to it as a "shitpost" and multiple people replied with skulls and R.I.P. tombstones. I seriously thought I'd done something wrong and was kind of hurt. A couple weeks later they asked where I was and said they missed reading my stories. I'm still not sure whether they're genuinely interested or just enjoy the novelty of having someone around who's too old to be a peer but too young to be a parental figure.

I've never been ready for this world and it's getting worse.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:44 pm For some reason the reactors on YouTube have been watching this movie. The girl ones usually roll their eyes :)...but they all agree Indy was hot young. Lol. I actually thought he was old at the time. I was in jr high.
He was 39 when it was released.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Want to feel old?

I just had a student write that the beginnings of the Star Wars saga "date back to the late 1900s."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:11 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:44 pm For some reason the reactors on YouTube have been watching this movie. The girl ones usually roll their eyes :)...but they all agree Indy was hot young. Lol. I actually thought he was old at the time. I was in jr high.
He was 39 when it was released.
I know right. I didn't even connect him to Star Wars and ive seen those. Raiders was our jr high perfect attendance reward movie. It started and I thought wow that guy is too old to play an action hero. Half way through Id totally forgot that that and realized who he was lol. But I was 12 so anyone over 20 was a fossil filled with arthritis .
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:04 pm Want to feel old?

I just had a student write that the beginnings of the Star Wars saga "date back to the late 1900s."

Lol, omg that sucks. :lol:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:52 pm Weather since March... High 80s to 100 or heavy rain. I think we had one cool non rainy day in the interim. IIRC, it was humid as hell and may as well have been in the 80s.
Same here. We're 12" of rain over normal -- 42" vs. 30" YTD. Nothing ever dries out completely anymore.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:04 pm Want to feel old?

That is awesome.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:53 pm Do you also take it when your fellow forumers post :wub: that they love you in your high heels?
Enlarge Image