Google Pixel phone

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Formix

Re: Google Pixel phone

Post by Formix »

Also pre-ordered the 5a for the wife, her current pixel 2 is on its last legs. Waiting on the 6 hands-on reviews for me.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I've always enjoyed my Pixels over the years, but I skipped over the pixel 5 to get a S21 Ultra from Samsung. The Pixel Pro is very intriguing to me, but I'm more than happy with what I currently have for now. I'll check back in for the Pixel 7 or 8. Though, I'm a bit worried about the Pixel line's long term prospects if the 6 isn't a pretty decent success.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Aargh; I broke down and started looking at Pixel 5a specs. Which led to comparing it to the A52. And then to realizing that I either can't get or don't want to get either one here in Korea so I'd have to have them shipped which is a hassle.

But now I really feel the lack of speed and battery life in my old phone.
:(
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

You may want to take a look at Zenfone 8. Apparently it's got great specs in a tiny package. Snapdragon 888 (5G, Wifi 6E), 120 Hz AMOLED screen, 4000 mAh battery, Sony 64MP sensors for rear camera and Sony 12MP sensors for front cam, IP68 water resistance, hypercharger (30W) recharges 60% in 25 minutes, stereo speakers, 3.5mm jack... https://www.asus.com/Mobile/Phones/ZenFone/Zenfone-8/
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I've seen good things about Zenfones in the past so it might well be worth a look.
JCC

Post by JCC »

So my pixel 5a arrived yesterday. (upgraded from a 3a.) A somewhat tumultuous process. I was able to set it up but I couldn't receive texts on it. Some googling indicated that it was probably my quite old sim card causing the issue. So I went to the closest Verizon store this morning and about 15 minutes after it opened there was already a greater than hour wait. Drove to another one and then still ended up waiting close to an hour (though I suspect the first store's wait would have still been longer since there were way more people there and the same number of employees - two) and got it fixed. However, I still can't get the RCS/Chat features to work. This is apparently not uncommon and ususally after days or a week it will work.

Other than that the phone is nice. I really wish it was smaller, though it's still smaller than the last Moto phone I owned. I also hate the gesture navigation and was relieved to see I could go back to on screen buttons. I was inclined to wait for the 6a next year but I guessed the chip shortage just now impacting mobile phones may still be lingering so went ahead and pulled the trigger now. Should be good for the next three years. Love the stock google experience though I do miss the awesome double shake on Moto to turn on the flashlight!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
JCC

Post by JCC »

Looks like RCS finally started working after a while... So, as far as I know, all systems go now.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah I wouldn't wait for the 6a unless you really cared about the camera. And even so, the 5a's camera was rated by Tech Radar as the best camera out there right now, better than Apple or Samsung.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I think "better" may be up for some debate but Google certainly deservedly gets heaps of praise for their camera software. Supposedly the new Pixel 6 will have an upgraded camera. But I am done paying that much for phones. I really wish there had been a smaller (cheaper) model of the 5a that cost the same as the original 4a but oh well.
Black Lives Matter

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

JCC wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:59 pm I think "better" may be up for some debate but Google certainly deservedly gets heaps of praise for their camera software. Supposedly the new Pixel 6 will have an upgraded camera. But I am done paying that much for phones. I really wish there had been a smaller (cheaper) model of the 5a that cost the same as the original 4a but oh well.
Having spent a ton of time investigating the Apple and Samsung top models, including and especially looking at images shot by those models, I'd say that the Pixel sensor (that's been in the all the Pixels since 2) holds its own against the latest from Apple/Samsung, especially if wide angle shots are what you are looking for. I've taken Pixel shots with my 3XL that aren't any different in quality (given the limitations of the Pixel camera, ie no telephoto) from my friend's Nikon and my own mirrorless Panasonic camera. I've shown the pictures from the Pixel to folks at Samy's Camera ( a well known camera chain here in the LA area) and they could find no flaws. The Samsung camera boasts all kinds of telephoto, but most of it is digital telephoto (ugh) and there is definite degradation in the pictures using telephoto. Apple's issues with flare would be a big problem for me as an outdoor/landscape photographer.

For me, I will be comparing the cost of the Pixel 6 with the cost of a mirrorless camera with the equivalent telephoto lens, not with other phones, since its primary use will be for photography.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

My wife is filming a commercial today and there is a Pixel 6 on set. I've told her I'm fine with whatever it takes for her to bring it home. :horse:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
JCC

Post by JCC »

Wow Lorini, that's interesting info, thanks! I have always been impressed by the photos from my Pixel 3a. I have only taken a few since I got the 5a but they definitely look nice! :)
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I have similar thoughts to Lorini. I have a Pixel 5 and can't justify the cost to jump to the 6 Pro a mere year later, as a phone.

But I've barely touched my mirrorless 'real' camera in the past two years, and if the 6 Pro would allow me to sell that and meanwhile get better photos on a daily basis, I might be in. Just depends on whether I like the phone itself.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:16 pm I have similar thoughts to Lorini. I have a Pixel 5 and can't justify the cost to jump to the 6 Pro a mere year later, as a phone.

But I've barely touched my mirrorless 'real' camera in the past two years, and if the 6 Pro would allow me to sell that and meanwhile get better photos on a daily basis, I might be in. Just depends on whether I like the phone itself.
Yep we went to Mammoth Lakes/Eastern Sierra this summer. I took both cameras but rarely used the mirrorless. So I sold it and I will use the money for a new camera phone.
Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Love this:

Formix

Post by Formix »

So far the wife is loving the 5a. The camera is great. Data transfers went well, but pro tip for anyone who is on Fi, remove the SIM card they automatically put in it first, Fi wants e-SIM.
stessier

Post by stessier »

September 29th can't come soon enough!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:26 am September 29th can't come soon enough!
Or the 13th.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Hoping for the 13th! Maybe I'll have one by mid-October when I'll have an opportunity to go to Yosemite.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lorini wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:20 am Hoping for the 13th! Maybe I'll have one by mid-October when I'll have an opportunity to go to Yosemite.
I have a trip planned for mid-Oct, too. Fingers crossed.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pixel 5a overheating? Possibly when using camera app?
Pixel 5a Can Start Overheating After Taking a Few Pictures and Recording at 1080p

Apparently, the problem is related to the camera app. Previously, lots of publications stated that the Pixel 5a would overheat in around five minutes while recording at 4K 60FPS. Unfortunately, the issue has trickled down to lower resolutions, too, with Android Central reporting that after capturing a few images and recording at the 1080p resolution, the mid-ranger would start giving a warning sign that it is overheating.
These thermal issues are similar to the ones users reported while using the Pixel 5, and keep in mind that the Pixel 5a can also overheat during some gaming sessions, which is unacceptable. One user also stated that Google’s latest smartphone would start giving off a warning during an hour of live streaming at 1080p. Even turning on the air conditioner did little to improve the situation, so the only way to resolve this is to wait for Google’s conclusion of the investigation.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I haven't done many photos and I rarely record video for more than few seconds so I haven't experienced any issues.

Honestly, so far my biggest gripe with the phone (other than my texting issues before (and for a few hours after) I got an updated SIM card) is I wish it was smaller. One of the things I liked about buying the Pixel 3a (and my friend's 4a (non 5G) is the same) is that it was smaller than my 2 Moto G phones. Now I am back up to the same size as my short lived G7. One of my buddies just got the iPhone Mini a few weeks ago and I was salivating over how tiny it was. If there is a 6a next year in 2 sizes with a smaller option I will be mad! LOL

Speaking of my Moto G's, I really wish Google would steal Moto's shake for flashlight motion function. I miss that, and haven't found any app replacement that doesn't get poor reviews for ads, etc.
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

So by and large my 5a is OK but frankly it has some warts. It takes me several minutes to send a picture via text to someone not using chat features. Very frustrating. Also, there are times the data doesn't work despite the phone's indicators showing that it should. I have fixed it once by rebooting it. I shouldn't have to do this shit. When it works it's fine. But, mine is a bit of a lemon.

Also I really hope Google hasn't completely abandoned smaller phones. I would really like my next phone (in 2-3 years) to be smaller than this.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

Multiple rumors are lining up the Pixel 6 order date as Oct 19. Still no info on when it will be announced.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:43 pm Multiple rumors are lining up the Pixel 6 order date as Oct 19. Still no info on when it will be announced.
Is it odd that I'm also tempted by the iPhone 13 Pro? Both it and the Pixel 6 Pro look to be camera powerhouses, but the Pixel's chip rumors have me longing for the A15. Not at all convinced that I'm ready to move from Android, though.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Serious question - what kinds of photos are you guys taking that makes the camera a big selling point? I've found the cameras on the last 5 phones I've had to be totally fine for my photography needs. If my next phone has a camera as good as the Pixel 3 I'll still be delighted.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

McNutt wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:30 pm Serious question - what kinds of photos are you guys taking that makes the camera a big selling point? I've found the cameras on the last 5 phones I've had to be totally fine for my photography needs. If my next phone has a camera as good as the Pixel 3 I'll still be delighted.
The recent Pixels and iPhones are all great cameras, for phones. But we haven't yet reached the point where they compare to 'real' cameras on sensor size, optical zoom, etc. Bothe the iPhone 13 Pro and Pixel 6 Pro are getting significant bumps this year in those areas. To the point where amateur photographer folks like me are wondering if it's finally time to nuke the 'real' camera and just go with the best possible phone camera.

I've found myself carrying the real rig less and less often lately, but I periodically miss the higher-quality output of the traditional camera.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:40 pm I've found myself carrying the real rig less and less often lately, but I periodically miss the higher-quality output of the traditional camera.
My phone has 5 different lenses and takes really good point-and-shoot pictures. I haven't touched my DSLR since the last time I saw you, Zax (dropping and breaking my telephoto lens in Golden had a lot to do with it). Zooming in still comes up short on detail, but it now has macro and wide-angle lenses.

The biggest issue right now is that in daylight, it's hard to adjust the camera settings and frame the shot since the display is often hard to read. But it's no less a pain than changing lenses and adjusting the settings manually on the DSLR, but I do miss framing with a viewfinder.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Agreed on all counts.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Google 6 came out today and I was all set to get it, but somehow Google wasn't ready and their store had been a disaster. Odd that they, of all people, couldn't handle the load.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

stessier wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:22 pm Google 6 came out today and I was all set to get it, but somehow Google wasn't ready and their store had been a disaster. Odd that they, of all people, couldn't handle the load.
Their site was slammed hard, but I managed to get in my order about an hour after it opened. I'm pleased getting free Pixel buds with my pre-order--not something I was expecting.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just got mine as well. Sweet.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

6 Pro also ordered here. Est delivery Nov 2.
Formix

Post by Formix »

Pre-ordered my non-pro as well. Purchasing through the Fi site was an exercise in refreshing, but eventually, it went through.
naednek

Post by naednek »

was hoping xfinity mobile would have a deal with it. Google's deal is nice, but i'm looking for something with ANC.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

damn, out of stock, took too long trying to convince the wife :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, my 5a got the Android 12 upgrade. What in the blue hell is up with the GIGANTIC clock on the lock screen?! I do not like it and they won't let me change it. They also kind of split the weather/clock widget into 2 different things on my home screen which I also don't care for. The weather widget takes up a whole row but doesn't use the whole row...? What the hell?
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

The lock screen clock will go to normal size if you have messages. Try getting one and but dismissing it. Or just turn off the always on screen.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I already have the always on disabled. I still have to look at the giant clock when I turn it on. I shouldn't need to keep a notification on to have a normal looking clock. Android is supposed to be the OS I can customize.
Black Lives Matter