Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune [movie] Dune 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:22 pm Jeff was waiting for the full ass version of the thread to be released.
And until today, I wasn't aware that this was even a done deal! How can they possibly do half a book without the other half being part of the contract? It would be like Star Wars ending before Luke meets Han. Or Lawrence of Arabia before Larry meets Omar Sharif? Or Animal House before the Homecoming Parade? Or I Claudius before Caligula becomes emperor? Or Deep Throat before the Happy Ending?

If the rest of the story was a done deal with a scheduled release date likely in my lifetime, then maybe I would check it out. But there is no reason to do so until then...if I feel like I have to watch that story, I'd play the miniseries (which I think I still have on DVD).
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

How many other books have been transformed into half a movie that you've supported to see the rest?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

“Lord of the Rings” comes to mind. If it had flopped at the box office, I doubt they’d have gone to the trouble of actually finishing the rest of the movies even if quite a bit was filmed at once.

“The Hobbit” was the same way.

“It” was just a few years ago.

But even if I couldn’t name 3 off the top of my head, we are living in a pandemic world…and it started as the film was in progress. The rules are different now and I don’t know if they’ll ever change.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:11 pm I didn't realize the 2nd half of the story was still speculative, and not a done-deal. Why would anyone invest time in just half that story? That's shittier than even the Lynch abomination.
Well, I hope Dune II doesn't go the way of Ralph Bakshi's rotoscope LOTR movie. That was originally going to be three parts, then got scaled back to two due to cost. When the first part was released it didn't call itself "Part One," so audiences didn't know that it was going to end abruptly and prematurely. Wiki tells me that it was a financial success but Part Two was never made due mainly to negative fan and critical reactions.

Dune is basking in fan approval, which I hope will carry it to the finish line.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have no doubt it will get made, considering the widespread acclaim it’s getting from fans and critics alike. And the box office take, which was respectable.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:39 pm How many other books have been transformed into half a movie that you've supported to see the rest?
Star Wars...
Zarathud

Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune

Post by Zarathud »

Pick a Marvell movie.
Harry Potter.
Kill Bill.
Or anything from the wiki.

Jeff V, you’re showing your curmudgeonly side here.
Last edited by Zarathud on Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:09 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:39 pm How many other books have been transformed into half a movie that you've supported to see the rest?
Star Wars...
Was Star Wars a book? But yeah, that entire franchise has been serialized from the get go. If Empire hadn’t done well, we would never have been able to see Ewoks.

…damn it, bad example.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:30 pm Everything everyone is saying is screaming run, don’t walk to a theater to see this great movie so that the studio bankrolls the second half.

Edit: wait….mix, I’m doing it again, aren’t I? :wink:
You absolutely are. Tsk Tsk... :naughty:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:13 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:09 pm
Star Wars...
Was Star Wars a book? But yeah, that entire franchise has been serialized from the get go. If Empire hadn’t done well, we would never have been able to see Ewoks.

…damn it, bad example.
I like Ewoks. Porgs can go fuck themselves.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't like porgs either. I don't know why they stuck them in what is otherwise the best Star Wars movie since Star Wars III, IV and V.

<lights match, waits for explosion>
Covfefe!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Roman Numerals?! You've confused me with your Mentos Mentat trickery.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Side note: I thought it was absolutely genius the way Villaneuve told you exactly what a mentat was in the movie without a single word of explanation.
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

malchior wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:56 pm I get why Lynch did it - he didn't trust the audience - but Villeneuve showed us why it wasn't necessary.
Kind of funny to think of Lynch wondering if his audience will be able to follow given some of his other movies. ;)
malchior wrote:In the end, this also allows us to reconsider what Lynch was tasked with. He never should have been put in a position to make that book as a single movie. He accepted the challenge but we now see that it was probably impossible if you want to do justice to the story. Lynch's imagination also was quite vivid. He imagined a far out look that might have been too sumptuous but to some extent that had noticeable influence on Villeneuve. I don't know if Villeneuve makes this movie without being inspired/forewarned by the other.
I didn't realize it until the other day, but Dune was only Lynch's third full length movie following Eraserhead and The Elephant Man. Seems like an odd choice for an epic sci-fi space opera at that point in his career.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, I took the unwise path and stayed up until 1 last night watching Dune. I liked it, and thought Villeneuve did a better job translating very difficult-to-film material than I had hoped for. That said, Jeff V may feel somewhat vindicated, as this is absolutely half of a story. It had to end somewhere, and where it ended was as good a place as could have been chosen, but it was jarring to me. If part 2 never gets made, I do think that will reflect poorly on this one.

But I do think it will happen, and if it lives up to this opening act, it'll be a hell of an achievement.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:35 am That said, Jeff V may feel somewhat vindicated, as this is absolutely half of a story.
That has been known for well over a year though. And as even you yourself pointed out, is not unheard of.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:38 am
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:35 am That said, Jeff V may feel somewhat vindicated, as this is absolutely half of a story.
That has been known for well over a year though. And as even you yourself pointed out, is not unheard of.
I'm not knocking it, just saying that at least until we know Pt 2 is coming, I can see the logic in holding off. It's a good movie, but it doesn't stand on its own all that well IMO. Part 2 is required, even if a few years from now. Clearly I don't agree with that logic (see 1 am bedtime above). But it makes sense to me.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I loved this movie. And while I get why people are deciding to make their first viewing of this be at home right now, seeing the visuals on an IMAX screen and being swallowed by the visuals and the sound is incredible.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:40 am I loved this movie. And while I get why people are deciding to make their first viewing of this be at home right now, seeing the visuals on an IMAX screen and being swallowed by the visuals and the sound is incredible.
Absolutely. I had several moments last night where I wished I was in a theater.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:47 am
pr0ner wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:40 am I loved this movie. And while I get why people are deciding to make their first viewing of this be at home right now, seeing the visuals on an IMAX screen and being swallowed by the visuals and the sound is incredible.
Absolutely. I had several moments last night where I wished I was in a theater.
Same for the amazing cinematography and shooting found in the last Bladerunner. My 65” screen is 4K (not even OLED or high end) and I prefer it to my closest, crappy theater screens (old and dim), but some films just scream for that massive screen real estate.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:39 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:38 am
I'm not knocking it, just saying that at least until we know Pt 2 is coming, I can see the logic in holding off. It's a good movie, but it doesn't stand on its own all that well IMO. Part 2 is required, even if a few years from now. Clearly I don't agree with that logic (see 1 am bedtime above). But it makes sense to me.
I'm with you on this one. It's a legitimate criticism regardless of whether it was known and for how long it was known. With most other multi-part movies, the ending of each movie usually has a bit more closure, for lack of a better word, than this one did. I knew there was more coming after Fellowship of the Ring, of course, but the ending felt like it concluded a movie. This felt more like, "Well, let's stop here for now and pick it up later." Part of that is almost certainly due to it being stopped in the middle of the book vs. Lord of the Rings having separate books with breaking points already predefined, but that doesn't make it less legitimate of a criticism.

I still enjoyed the movie a lot, but it's not without fault.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I...it's just...how....I mean....pooping?

Anyway....
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:39 am I'm not knocking it, just saying that at least until we know Pt 2 is coming, I can see the logic in holding off. It's a good movie, but it doesn't stand on its own all that well IMO. Part 2 is required, even if a few years from now. Clearly I don't agree with that logic (see 1 am bedtime above). But it makes sense to me.
The problem being, as I noted earlier, is that the fate of the following movies will sometimes depend on how the first part does. I can see why you would want to wait, but doing so just makes the completion of the story even less of a certainty. Especially in a Post Covid world. :(
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Archinerd wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:40 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:31 pm
Holman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:05 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:22 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:15 am but the mentats were kinda edited out of this screenplay.
and the Spacing Guild! perhaps the idea of getting too many factions involved could have overcomplicated the film flow, but i liked it in the book.
The Spacing Guild is mentioned but doesn't have much of a presence in the first half of the book. (In the movie you do seem some early-stage guildsmen arrive with the Emperor's envoy on Caladan: they're wearing helmets filled with orange spice gas.)

In the novel, the only guildsmen we see are in the final pages, and they look like regular humans (in fact wearing contexts to conceal their spice-addicted eyes). David Lynch's scene with the Emperor and the big Navigator is completely invented. Herbert doesn't show us a Navigator until the second novel.
ok but what about the Landsraad? CHOAM?
Landsraad is mentioned (once? without context) and CHOAM is not.
In the novel they're mentioned a few times but are invisible. The Landsraad is really just "the other Great Houses" and CHOAM is a hazy economic concept with no bearing on the story. If you read the book once and skip the glossary, you probably don't even remember them.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:31 am I didn't realize it until the other day, but Dune was only Lynch's third full length movie following Eraserhead and The Elephant Man. Seems like an odd choice for an epic sci-fi space opera at that point in his career.
Lynch acquired sudden Hollywood Golden Boy status with The Elephant Man, which was a strong drama but (as you suggest) not exactly an action blockbuster. But George Lucas asked him to direct Return of the Jedi not because of TEM but because he loved Eraserhead(!).

I've heard that part of the story is that Lynch was (contrary to what you might expect) *very* good at schmoozing major Hollywood types.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:51 am
Archinerd wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:40 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:31 pm
Holman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:05 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:22 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:15 am but the mentats were kinda edited out of this screenplay.
and the Spacing Guild! perhaps the idea of getting too many factions involved could have overcomplicated the film flow, but i liked it in the book.
The Spacing Guild is mentioned but doesn't have much of a presence in the first half of the book. (In the movie you do seem some early-stage guildsmen arrive with the Emperor's envoy on Caladan: they're wearing helmets filled with orange spice gas.)

In the novel, the only guildsmen we see are in the final pages, and they look like regular humans (in fact wearing contexts to conceal their spice-addicted eyes). David Lynch's scene with the Emperor and the big Navigator is completely invented. Herbert doesn't show us a Navigator until the second novel.
ok but what about the Landsraad? CHOAM?
Landsraad is mentioned (once? without context) and CHOAM is not.
In the novel they're mentioned a few times but are invisible. The Landsraad is really just "the other Great Houses" and CHOAM is a hazy economic concept with no bearing on the story. If you read the book once and skip the glossary, you probably don't even remember them.
It is easy to see what drudgery he sidestepped, one only has to mentally substitute Landsraad with Imperial Senate and CHOAM with Trade Federation.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:22 pm
Alefroth wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:01 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:27 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:26 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:07 pm
Thanks, ILB, for giving me another reason to hold off.
:lol: Don’t ever change, Jeff. You’re perfect the way you are.
Are you still advocating paying to watch a half-assed version of something that not only might never become full-assed, but not even finish the story it started? Really? You support this?
Umm... yes? Haven't you been reading the thread?
Jeff was waiting for the full ass version of the thread to be released.
:lol:
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:31 am
malchior wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:56 pm I get why Lynch did it - he didn't trust the audience - but Villeneuve showed us why it wasn't necessary.
Kind of funny to think of Lynch wondering if his audience will be able to follow given some of his other movies. ;)
malchior wrote:In the end, this also allows us to reconsider what Lynch was tasked with. He never should have been put in a position to make that book as a single movie. He accepted the challenge but we now see that it was probably impossible if you want to do justice to the story. Lynch's imagination also was quite vivid. He imagined a far out look that might have been too sumptuous but to some extent that had noticeable influence on Villeneuve. I don't know if Villeneuve makes this movie without being inspired/forewarned by the other.
I didn't realize it until the other day, but Dune was only Lynch's third full length movie following Eraserhead and The Elephant Man. Seems like an odd choice for an epic sci-fi space opera at that point in his career.
David Lynch was even considered for Return of the Jedi before Dune, but he turned it down. Elephant Man was a big hit, and Hollywood was pretty good those days at finding and supporting new talent. Ridley Scott had only really done The Duellists (great film btw) before he was scooped up by Fox to do Alien (1979), and was actually the one tagged to do Dune first (he declined when his brother died, and so Lynch was asked to do it instead).

After Dune (1984) Lynch threw his hands up in the air and started going full-on surrealist... He really, really REALLY hated the experience working on a big budget studio film.

I love his work regardless, and even Dune-84 is a guilty pleasure for me.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

My 2.5 hour 'investment' paid off handsomely. That won't be affected if there is never a part 2 (or a full-ass version).
malchior

Post by malchior »

Looks like part 2 is on!

Edit: Target is October 2023

Last edited by malchior on Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:11 pm Pick a Marvell movie.
Harry Potter.
Kill Bill.
Or anything from the wiki.

Jeff V, you’re showing your curmudgeonly side here.
Per IMDB:
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is the first half of the Kill Bill series, written and directed by American filmmaker Quentin Tarantino. Originally intended as one film, the resulting product had a running time of over four hours, so it was separated into two movies.
Ergo, the whole movie was in the can, Part 2 did not rely on the success of Part 1 to subsequently create it. And it was not based on a book.
Harry Potter - wasn't it just the last book that was cut in half? And I don't think that was a funding thing either, in fact the opposite, the franchise was a license to print money, and they wanted one more clutch from the golden goose before roasting it for a wrap party.

Comic books tend to be open-ended serials. They are not the same as a traditional book, certainly not like a self-contained novel.

re: Star Wars
Per Google
It [Star Wars the Novel] adapts the film of the same name, and it was based on the screenplay by George Lucas. The novelization was first published on November 12, 1976 by Ballantine Books, prior to the film's 1977 release.
While the movie was released after the book, the book was based on the movie. Nice try though!
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Anyone wanna spend a day collecting JeffV bodies from the numerous hills he's died on?
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

malchior wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:12 pm Looks like part 2 is on!

Edit: Target is October 2023

Suh...weet!
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And thus did my very mild criticism become engulfed by Shai-Hulud... Jeff's resistance crumbled like an off-worlder without a stillsuit. ImLawboy chanted to the heavens, thanking the lisan al-gaib.

Thankfully we did not have to dig into the collected sayings of Muad'Dib, “Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:34 pm And thus did my very mild criticism become engulfed by Shai-Hulud... Jeff's resistance crumbled like an off-worlder without a stillsuit.
You're obviously new to OO so let me be the first to say "welcome!".
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:37 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:34 pm And thus did my very mild criticism become engulfed by Shai-Hulud... Jeff's resistance crumbled like an off-worlder without a stillsuit.

We were crunching the numbers last night (domestic and foreign box office returns vs the cost of production). Even without taking into account streaming $$$ and marketing (not sure if that's included in the production cost), it was looking like a pretty safe bet that the second half would be greenlit. Unless, I suppose, it totally bombed everywhere next week and made no more money after the first week. But that seemed pretty unlikely. I assume that TPtB did the same crunching.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

TheMix wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:03 pm

We were crunching the numbers last night (domestic and foreign box office returns vs the cost of production). Even without taking into account streaming $$$ and marketing (not sure if that's included in the production cost), it was looking like a pretty safe bet that the second half would be greenlit. Unless, I suppose, it totally bombed everywhere next week and made no more money after the first week. But that seemed pretty unlikely. I assume that TPtB did the same crunching.
Honestly, I was more worried about Villeneuve's hot takes against WB than I was about the film making bank. Sounds like the almighty dollar won the day again, though.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:28 pm

Honestly, I was more worried about Villeneuve's hot takes against WB than I was about the film making bank. Sounds like the almighty dollar won the day again, though.
Yeah. It also sort of sounds like Villeneuve might have just been negotiating.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

malchior wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:31 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:28 pm

Yeah. It also sort of sounds like Villeneuve might have just been negotiating.
WB lost Christopher Nolan to Universal over the HBO Max controversy. Villeneuve is the only prestige director they've got left. It's not just box office and streaming numbers; it's the WB brand as well.

And that's not to mention future franchising potential should the Duniverse take off. They've got part 2 now, there's the Sisterhood show, a computer game in the works, board games, pen & paper RPG, toys, merch, a loyal/fanatic fanbase...

Actually, how about we loyal fanatic fans start calling ourselves "Fish Speakers"? I know they're supposed to be women only, but I don't look all that bad in a dress (don't ask). Although these days, the only Dune character I could realistically cosplay is the Baron. Or Thufir, I guess.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The ‘Dune’ Screenplay Was Written in MS-DOS

The Oscar winning screenwriter of ‘Dune’ writes in an MS-DOS program that can only hold 40 pages in memory.
Oscar winning Dune screenwriter Eric Roth banged out the screenplay using the MS-DOS program Movie Master.

Roth writes everything using the 30-year-old software. “I work on an old computer program that’s not in existence anymore,” Roth said in an interview in 2014. “It’s half superstition and half fear of change.” Roth wrote the screenplay for Dune in 2018 and explained he was still using Movie Master on a Barstool Sports podcast in 2020. That means Dune was written in an MS-DOS program.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"