[Music] Latest Shipment

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Mr. Sparkle

[Music] Latest Shipment

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

As my first post on the new site, I shall put up the first EVER music thread.

The kindly UPS man dropped off some fresh vinyl to my doorstep last night, and I thought I'd share:

Wiley Treadin' On Thin Ice

I dig this album hardcore... though I understand that it won't be for many on this forum. If you like UK electronica, such as Garage and 2-Step... and you like Hip-Hop... they Eski-beat will own your soul.

If you like one or the other, then I seriously recommend checking it out, since it kicks major ass. Though a Hip-Hop lover may do better with Dizzee Rascal, since he is a little more hardcore than Wiley... though less danceable imho.

As a bonus, I got a free copy of the single for "Wot Do You Call It?".

Gift of Gab 4th Dimensional Rocketships Going Up

This is more straight-up Hip-Hop here. GoG, is the emcee for Blackalicious, this album being his first solo offering. If you like Jurassic-5 or Dilated Peoples, then you'll probably like this.

It's solid, but not mindblowing... Gift of Gab's unparalleled lyrical skills are in full effect, but no one song jumps out as being awesome.

I enjoy it, though the same criticism that always gets laid on acts like this is still valid: they're not pushing the boundaries, they're trying to turn back the clock. But, I don't really give a damn: it sounds good.

Lastly:
Interpol Antics

Well, this one isn't even remotely Hip-Hop.

I haven't had a chance to listen to this one yet, but "Turn on the Bright Lights" was one of my fave albums of all time, so I have high hopes.

It does get an instant 2 stars for comming in 150 gram vinyl. Props to Interpol on that one.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Enough said. :)
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Give it up for Duran Duran!

Heh, I just bought their new one - Astronaut - yesterday. I think it's gonna be good (only listened to it once).

The Interpol album is great, Evil is now my all time Interpol fav.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I freakin' LOVE that GBV-esque moment in Evil that goes "Hey who's on trial" danhdanhdanhdanhdanhdanh (danh = guitar lick)

Awesome track, and seriously threatening NYC as my Interpol favorite.

Yesterday I exchanged money for the following goods:

Pinback SUMMER IN ABADDON

Bloc Party S/T - Post-punk-rock-pop mini-album listening-booth discovery. Track 1, Banquet, had me at hello. Check it out here.

TV on the Radio - NEW HEALTH ROCK EP

Then, on my way out of the store, I heard a familiar song...

Caribooooouuuuuuuuu

Only it sounded very different. I marched back into the store and demanded to know what was playing.

Frank Black Francis S/T

Disc 1) Acoustic demos of early Pixies songs recorded in 1987.
Disc 2) Re-interpretations of classic Pixies songs.

Reportedly a mixed bag, especially disc two (haven't heard it yet myself) but clearly a must for Image fans.

Did I mention I got Pixies tickets for December 18th? WOOHOO!
Last edited by rrmorton on Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Evil Dead

Post by The Evil Dead »

Recently acquired :

Interpol - ANTICS
Green Day - NIMROD and DOOKIE
Belle and Sebastian - IF YOU'RE FEELING SINISTER
White Zombie - ASTRO-CREEP 2000
Shadows Fall - THE WAR WITHIN
Eels - BEAUTIFUL FREAK

Ah yes, feels good. *kicks back*
Listen to the Eels
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

The Evil Dead wrote: Belle and Sebastian - IF YOU'RE FEELING SINISTER
Mmmmm. One of a tiny handful of albums that Changed My Life.
The Evil Dead

Post by The Evil Dead »

rrmorton wrote:
The Evil Dead wrote: Belle and Sebastian - IF YOU'RE FEELING SINISTER
Mmmmm. One of a tiny handful of albums that Changed My Life.
Great effing album. Not quite life-changing, but great nonetheless :D I want to pick up Arab Strap and Dear Catastrophe Waitress sometime soon. Well, after I complete my Eels collection, that is. Brouhaha.
Listen to the Eels
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

I see I am fighting a uphill battle with the Hip-Hop thing, eh? :D
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Meanwhile, I'm still spinning The Arcade Fire FUNERAL just about every day. Love it. Crown of Love is one of the best songs I've heard all year. Same goes for Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) and Wake Up. Phenomenal.

Mr. Sparkle, I just got Dizzee Rascal SHOWTIME and K-OS JOYFUL REBELLION. Enjoying both. That Gift of Gab album looks good. I really dig BLAZING ARROW.

That's cool that you buy stuff on vinyl. I wish I had the gear and the space.
Last edited by rrmorton on Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CSL

Post by CSL »

Bow to the greatness that is Franz Ferdinand!
The Evil Dead

Post by The Evil Dead »

I refuse!
Listen to the Eels
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Fanz Ferdinand might dig that Bloc Party I linked to a few posts back.
knob

Post by knob »

Album wise, my Eels collection is now complete.

I just listened to samples of Wiley: Treadin' on Thin Ice, Mr Sparkle. And it's actually pretty tempting for me to pick it up. It's different.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

Sam Roberts - We Were Born In Flame
Cake - Pressure Chief
The Thrills - Let's Bottle Bohemia

I actually went to see him open for The Tragically Hip. Unfortunately we got there late and I only heard the last half of his last song. Bummer. I'd never heard them but Tragically Hip wasn't my bag at all. I guess they're huge in Canada with dudes, because the entire place was full of Canadian dudes. The few ladies in the house were all there with their bf's. Weird. Is TH a gay friendly band?
CSL

Post by CSL »

rrmorton wrote:Fanz Ferdinand might dig that Bloc Party I linked to a few posts back.
Listening to Staying Fat and its sounding pretty good so far. Might be worth a further look.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

rrmorton wrote: Mr. Sparkle, I just got Dizzee Rascal SHOWTIME and K-OS JOYFUL REBELLION. Enjoying both. That Gift of Gab album looks good. I really dig BLAZING ARROW.
The Gift of Gab album is good (note: I've only listened to it through once), however it isn't nearly as good as Blazing Arrow.

It's a great showcase of GoG's skills though, which are... impressive. He's one of the few lyricists (Hip Hop or not) that I think poets could take notes from.

I haven't picked up Showtime yet... how does it compare to Boy In Da Corner?
That's cool that you buy stuff on vinyl. I wish I had the gear and the space.
It's honestly a PITA unless you REALLY love it.

There are a ton of practical issues vinyl has, that used to be accepted because of certain technical advantages... none of which are true anymore... which leaves you with pure aesthetics.

I happen to be adicted to the feel of a record in and under my hand.

Luckily, e-commerce and the fact that my fave genres are elctronica, hip-hop, and indie rock, I have no trouble finding music on vinyl.
Valael wrote:I just listened to samples of Wiley: Treadin' on Thin Ice, Mr Sparkle. And it's actually pretty tempting for me to pick it up. It's different.
Got to his website Eski-Boy and you can listen to all of his tracks in full.

My fave at the moment is "Wot Do You Call It".

I have to credit T-Dub for opening my eyes to Wiley. When I first heard snippets of his album, I thought he was just a cheap copy of Dizzee... but in a thread on GG, T-Dub asked me what I thought of him... so I did some more research and realized I hadn't given him a fair shake.

Now I'm dead certain that this Eski/Grime thing is what I've been waiting for since Trip Hop failed me. Wiley's got the goods in track production, that's for sure.