Lost [11/3/2004] *SPOILERS*

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Lost [11/3/2004] *SPOILERS*

Post by Bakhtosh »

Okay, you guys are really falling down on your job here. This is the second thread I've had to start the day AFTER the show airs. Quit looking at the suicide girls thread at work, and get busy!

Now, on to the show...

I'm really expecting them to do something stupid with this show. It's starting to get weirder.

I like the theory that the spirit of the island has somehow possessed Locke, and if so, then he was the one who smacked Sahid in the head to keep him from discovering the island's power source...so why he hasn't disconnected the distress signal is a question.

My AD&D days are coming back to haunt me: the back of my mind wonders if there's a dragon on the island, and his magic saved the passengers. Something killed the boar and left him alone...but why did it kill the pilot? Maybe the pilot was lying about what happened, and he was "bad"...somehow causing the plane crash...so the dragon, being psychic, discovered this and carried out justice.

Didn't Jack see the monster in the first episode? I think he told them that he didn't see anything.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

There was an episode where it was hinted at that Locke (not Jack) saw one of the creatures in the jungle, and later denied having seen anything.

I personally think the show is starting to drag a little too slowly. I'm all for character exposition, but this is taking forever. They need to focus more on the present and the mystery of the island. Last night's background on Charlie was dull and uninteresting, and then segued into that cliche, overly blatant moth analogy. He takes the drugs back then drops them into the fire. Boy, didn't see that one coming. :roll:

Too much of the plot seems to be contrived to get the characters into the situations needed rather than be based on rational human behavior. I'm still annoyed at the whole "caves vs. beach" signal fire debate.

The 20 seconds that somewhat redeemed the show last night and kept me interested was Sayid's comment about how "they shouldn't have survived" the plane crash. He mentioned that the tail section broke off in midflight, and yet somehow over 40 people miraculously survived. It seemed to be an offhand foreshadowing at something being involved with the plane crash, which I'm hoping is a plot point.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Yeah, I don't like how they ignored Sahid getting hit on the head. Did they even mention it the rest of the episode?

I like the backstory that they are doing, but I'm getting tired of each time the A story being the characters past and the B story what is happening on the island. I would like it to swing the other way and have the A story being what is happening on the island and the B story the background.
dedewhale

Post by dedewhale »

I am beginning to really dislike the show and may un-tivo it. It is really to redundant. Each week we reveale a boring history about someone, nobody can do anything except precious Jack and his chick and a few others and most importantly only one plot advance every week to stretch everything out. Come on....

this show has totally ditched the sci-fi elements which made it interesting early to go with a trumped up survivor with twists wanna-be!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The pace has definitely slowed (has anything of import happened since episode 2?), but so far I'm still enjoying it. Some of the plot points have been predictable, but the show still holds promise. I'll give it at least 2 or 3 more episodes to prove to me that it still deserves space on my Tivo...
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

Sure, the drugs/moth thing was pretty cheesy, but sometimes I like a little cheese. And Dom Monaghan (sp?) is a really pretty good actor, so even though I knew what was coming, I sat back and enjoyed it just the same.

Early on, I had Locke picked as a bad guy. After this episode, I really don't know where he stands. Really, the only one-dimensional role is that guy who's hording all the supplies, and it looks like he gets his in next week's episode. This is still my second-favorite new show of the season (after Desperate Housewives).
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I still like the show but I miss the monster.

The monster was everywhere but the beach the first couple of episodes and now it hasn't show up at all for a couple shows.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Dramatist wrote:I still like the show but I miss the monster.

The monster was everywhere but the beach the first couple of episodes and now it hasn't show up at all for a couple shows.
Yeah, I haven't seen the monster yet because this was the third show I've seen.

I WANT MY DAMN MONSTER

ahem

Excuse me.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

msteelers wrote:
Dramatist wrote:I still like the show but I miss the monster.

Yeah, I haven't seen the monster yet because this was the third show I've seen.

I WANT MY DAMN MONSTER

ahem

Excuse me.
Don't feel too bad. I've watched every single episode and I haven't seen the monster either.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

In the first episode, when Jack & Crew went to find the cockpit, they all took off running when the pilot was killed. Jack got seperated from the others and comes running up later and says he didn't see anything, IIRC. I'm just wondering if he saw it, and has figured out the same thing that Locke has: that they're never getting off the island, but he can't explain it to anyone.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

msteelers wrote:Yeah, I don't like how they ignored Sahid getting hit on the head. Did they even mention it the rest of the episode?
No, but that's because (a) it was basically at the end of the episode, and (b) we haven't seen Saied (sp?) since. Presumably he's still unconscious, and so not yet able to complain about getting clocked. I think it's called a Cliffhanger.

I'm starting to get tired of the formulaic backstories as well, but the rest of the show is still excellent, IMHO.

The beach versus caves setup, defining which characters have accepted their fate and which haven't, with the gradual migration towards the caves, is quite interesting, and provides some revealing character details. And does anyone think it's gonna be interesting when Michael and Sun hook up?

I hope the monster reappears soon, too - when was the last time we "saw" it, by the way? It wasn't right before Locke's encounter, was it? Because that would be too coincidental to ignore...

In short, I'm still interested in the evolving characters, and there are enough twists and unanswered questions in the plot to keep me rivetted.

- Ash
Jessan

Post by Jessan »

I'm still liking the show. However I think it's going to be a variation of:

Asharak

Post by Asharak »

What, pray tell, is that?

- Ash
Ibby

Post by Ibby »

I think the Dark Lord Melkor left a Balrog somewhere on the island for our intrepid castaways to find.

And it's a she Balrog...

With a french accent...
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Ibby wrote:And it's a she Balrog...
Anyone else think of Shrek when they read that? "Oh, you're a she dragon..."

I don't want to see those mutant babies...

- Ash
WAW

Post by WAW »

On B5 we didn't get a peek at the shadows till midway tru season 1. And a good look till the last episode of year 1. My quess is something big will come out for Nov sweeps.
You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!
WW
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm getting tired of these "teaser" shows as well. I don't have the patience to sit through a whole 22-episode season to learn what the fuck is going on. And chances are it will be just like Carnivale - the season finale leaves you with more questions than answers.

There's a reason most mystery novels are fairly short.
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

YellowKing wrote:I'm getting tired of these "teaser" shows as well. I don't have the patience to sit through a whole 22-episode season to learn what the fuck is going on. And chances are it will be just like Carnivale - the season finale leaves you with more questions than answers.

There's a reason most mystery novels are fairly short.
IIRC, it'll be a 13 episode season.
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Napoleon wrote:IIRC, it'll be a 13 episode season.
Really? Damn... I'm having fun!

- Ash
Tony

Post by Tony »

I believe it's 22 episodes now. ABC ordered 9 more episodes after seeing the stellar ratings of the first few shows.
Jessan

Post by Jessan »

Asharak wrote:What, pray tell, is that?

- Ash
It's the creature from the Id. Forbidden Planet.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Tony wrote:I believe it's 22 episodes now. ABC ordered 9 more episodes after seeing the stellar ratings of the first few shows.
I feel better now; thanks.

And thanks to Jessan too. :)

- Ash
qp

Post by qp »

The episode (had a chance to watch it on the PVR last night), wasn't too bad - but yeah, they really need to cut to the chase soon! Heh my wife and I were going over main characters that haven't had their own flash back episode yet - the list was depressingly long...me wantee monsters me wantee monsters!
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Tony wrote:I believe it's 22 episodes now. ABC ordered 9 more episodes after seeing the stellar ratings of the first few shows.
Well, crap. Taking the artist's vision and asking him to stretch it out for 9 more hours. That's going to mess up the ending unless he was counting on getting the extension.

Are they planning on this being a 1 season show, or are there plans for making it in 2005 too?

I like the episodic movie idea. Imagine the Lord of the Rings with 22 hours to work with instead of having to break it up into 3 - 3 hour increments (with 4 hour special editions).
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Bakhtosh wrote:Are they planning on this being a 1 season show, or are there plans for making it in 2005 too?
If the former, then the extension is definitely a problem. Watering the show down to stretch it out would definitely hurt.

But if the idea was always to have a multiseason show (with, presumably, the first season being short just to test the audience reaction), then there are presumably enough ideas for content rolling around in someone's head that adding a few more to the first season, rather than saving them til the second, shouldn't really be a problem.

- Ash
Tony

Post by Tony »

Bakhtosh wrote:
Well, crap. Taking the artist's vision and asking him to stretch it out for 9 more hours. That's going to mess up the ending unless he was counting on getting the extension.

Are they planning on this being a 1 season show, or are there plans for making it in 2005 too?

I like the episodic movie idea. Imagine the Lord of the Rings with 22 hours to work with instead of having to break it up into 3 - 3 hour increments (with 4 hour special editions).

I don't know if they plan it to be a multi-season show but I heard that..
MINOR SPOILERS

ABC ordered 13 episodes of the series. J.J. Abrams (the creator) didn't
know if ABC was going to order 9 more, so by the end of the first
13 episodes, there was supposed to be a clear resolution to all of the plots and mysteries of the island. The last 9 episodes are supposed to deal with the survivors escaping the island.

END OF SPOILER
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

alright - somethin wicked buggin is going on with this show.
A- It's getting dumb fast for bad reasons
B- It's getting good fast for bad reasons

I agree with the point that whats going on the island should be front and center... That is what is pissing me off.
Granted, a story told is only as good as its characters and their believability. However, a story isn't about backstory unless it's CRITICAL to what is happening in future tense.

BAD BAD job by the writers - this episode was garbage surrounding some very good plot points/character development - with a touch of nice, but wicked overdone backstory that BETTER mean something (highly doubtful).

As for the 'monster'.... Ok, I don't know what the deal is with it precisely, but something peculiar is going on.
No one really feared the monster on previous treks, but there was SOME tension - up until Loche faced it....
Then Loche later says 'you have to give something to the island'
He also does that 'good evil' shtick in ep 1 or 2 or whatever with the backgammon pieces to that dude from that HBO show's kid.

Clearly, whatever it was that Loche did gave the island something. But all he was doing was crying 'mom!!!!!!!!!!' on his knees.... so. It's anyones guess. Perhaps it's tied to Sayhid's wack upside the head by Jim Duggin (or entities to be revealed).

The bottom line, it SUCKS there is no longer any 'monster' fear/tension going on - IMO, that was a key point to pushing along the story and made Jack's episode with his father that much stronger... Now that the fear is gone - I couldn't give a rats ass.

The plot better get somewhere in a week, maybe 2.... Cuz it's really not carrying at a reasonable pace to be worthy of watching. I don't like being hoodwinked by networks, seeing as I boycott them anyway.
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Oh, and Sayid got cracked in the back of the head by the French woman they heard in the previous episode. At least that's my guess. There was no one from the camps missing when he got whacked unless it's a character we don't know about yet. And my wife watched the clip like 10 times and announced that it was a woman's grunt she heard when he got clubbed.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Tony

Post by Tony »

RunningMn9 wrote:Oh, and Sayid got cracked in the back of the head by the French woman they heard in the previous episode. At least that's my guess. There was no one from the camps missing when he got whacked unless it's a character we don't know about yet. And my wife watched the clip like 10 times and announced that it was a woman's grunt she heard when he got clubbed.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
What I'm curious about is right before Sayid got whacked, the bars on his device showed some big time power. I'm guessing that it's coming from the French woman who hit him. What the heck could generate that kind of power after 15 or 16 years on the island? Something solar powered?
This of course assumes that the island isn't some huge genetic research facility set up by Kang and Kodos to study the humans.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Tony wrote:This of course assumes that the island isn't some huge genetic research facility set up by Kang and Kodos to study the humans.
You know, the only plausible reason I can think of to dispute that theory is that they're on different networks... :P

- Ash
Steron

Post by Steron »

I am still into the show. I like the seeing the past of the characters. There can't be many left to do now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they have done Kate, Jack, Locke, Charlie, and the Korean couple. All that's left is Sawyer, the brother and sister, Sayid and the big dude whose name escapes me. Of those, only Sawyer and Sayid are main characters.
"There's always next year" The mantra of a KC Chiefs Fan.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Anybody think that the big guy's back-story will be about him being fat and no-one liking him? Nah, they could never do something that obvious..... :wink:
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

Steron wrote:I am still into the show. I like the seeing the past of the characters. There can't be many left to do now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they have done Kate, Jack, Locke, Charlie, and the Korean couple. All that's left is Sawyer, the brother and sister, Sayid and the big dude whose name escapes me. Of those, only Sawyer and Sayid are main characters.
There is still the black guy and his son, the pregnant girl who has been MIA for two episodes, and there were still massive holes in Jack and Kates flashbacks that needed to be filled in. It looked like from the previews that this weeks episode will center on Sawyer so we will most likely get his flashback.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Personally I'm rather happy with the back stories. It was the formula for introducing the characters from day one of the show, so I'm surprised people are getting frustrated with it.

As for stretching out the mystery of the monster and the story altogether, I'm not sure what the problem is there either. True, mystery novels are short, but truth be told they can ALL be boiled down to a one page summary that gives you the mystery in paragraph 1, the suspects in paragraph 2, and the solution in paragraph 3. It's the makeup of the characters, their motives, the near discoveries, the risks taken to solve the puzzle that helps to create the desire to turn the page.

I guess all I'm saying is that this show, like a good story, may require some patience.

...however, that being said, if season 9 comes around and we find ourselves with the same core group having formed a rock band and touring other islands nearby while solving wacky mysteries each week, it's safe to say, "Shark, may I jump now?".
jlu

Post by jlu »

I'm also liking the weekly backstories... It'd be nice to see the main storyline advanced a bit faster, but I suppose once that is finished the show will lose some steam.

Very well could have second backstories for some of the major characters too.
Steron

Post by Steron »

There is still the black guy and his son, the pregnant girl who has been MIA for two episodes
You are right. I forgot about the black guy and his son. I don't consider the pregnant girl a main character. I consider her the same as the big dude and the brother sister combo. They're secondary to me. So that leaves the black guy and his son, Sayid and Sawyer left of the main group that we haven't had a flashback of yet. That's about it for the main character group.
"There's always next year" The mantra of a KC Chiefs Fan.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I wonder how they'll explain Sayid's exit from Iraq and/or if they will include scenes of him fighting Americans as part of the Republican Guard.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote:Personally I'm rather happy with the back stories. It was the formula for introducing the characters from day one of the show, so I'm surprised people are getting frustrated with it.

As for stretching out the mystery of the monster and the story altogether, I'm not sure what the problem is there either. True, mystery novels are short, but truth be told they can ALL be boiled down to a one page summary that gives you the mystery in paragraph 1, the suspects in paragraph 2, and the solution in paragraph 3. It's the makeup of the characters, their motives, the near discoveries, the risks taken to solve the puzzle that helps to create the desire to turn the page.

I guess all I'm saying is that this show, like a good story, may require some patience.

...however, that being said, if season 9 comes around and we find ourselves with the same core group having formed a rock band and touring other islands nearby while solving wacky mysteries each week, it's safe to say, "Shark, may I jump now?".
It's not that i don't like the backstories, I just want the main story to advance on a faster pace and have the backstory be the secondary plot.