Nightmare Before Xmas: Is it for kids? [Xmas already?!]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lee

Nightmare Before Xmas: Is it for kids? [Xmas already?!]

Post by Lee »

I figured it's about time to think about what I am getting for the kids this year. I want to get it done with. The kids in question are my sisters kids, two boys aged 8 and 4, and a girl aged 6. Since they go to Sunday school, read books about the bible, and like all the cute kids movies I want to be the uncle with the evil influence. :twisted: (Don't take that too seriously, I just want to be the 'cool' uncle that lets them have a sip of my beer, eat too much candy, etc. the stuff they usually can't do).

I love the Nightmare Before Christmas, funny movie, with some good songs. Is it for kids though, especially kids that are having a very Christian raising? I am unsure how other people view this movie and if they let their kids watch it.

Opinions?
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Exrod

Post by Exrod »

I would advise you to err on the side of caution. Since you are asking, you obviously have some doubt about it. Go with Veggie Tales or 3.2.1.Penguins and you will be in good shape.
I shall observe the tenets of Rex Kwon Do
I shall respect Rex
I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm all for undoing cult programming. You're not being an evil uncle, you're being the sane one. Go for it!
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

The problem with Nightmare Before Christmas is that it's ancient by their standards. I can't imagine they'd be excited to receive it as a gift, as opposed to something like Shrek 2 which commercials and cereal boxes are currently drilling into their heads as THE cool must-own DVD every child desperately needs. Or maybe a Pixar movie if they don't already have them all.
Kael

Post by Kael »

Have them over and rent it. If it gets to be to much for them then shut it off or have a backup movie ready. If you want to be the cool uncle then doing something with them will mean more than any gift. And if they really like it you can buy it for them and it will remind them of when they went to your house to watch movies.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

It's fun to be the "cool" uncle. I've got two 'nephews' (actually they're 2nd cousins? well the children of one of my cousins whatever that is) who think I'm pretty cool. Last Halloween I showed them The Nightmare Before Christmas- I think they were 9 and 10 at the time and their grandparents/guardians where there watching it with them. They really enjoyed it and handled it just fine but they were a little grossed out by some of the ghoulish effects and some intense scenes.

So, I'd say err on the side of caution as well. 4 and 6 are maybe too young, 8 is right on the line IMO.

I've also introduced them to They Might Be Giants, though TMBG's kids album and just lent the reader of the two my copy of Coraline by Neil Gaiman to read (he loved it) A small collection of mind bending puzzles and (age approprate) computer games are some other things they demand to see when they're over visiting Cool Uncle Scott.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
Kaigen

Post by Kaigen »

Tscott wrote: just lent the reader of the two my copy of Coraline by Neil Gaiman to read (he loved it)
He might be excited to hear that Henry Selick, who directed Nightmare Before Christmas, is now working on a Coraline movie.

I'd say Nightmare Before Christmas is fine for those ages, just have a backup movie ready as others have said. It really depends on the kid. I also have a "neice" (in the same way TScott has "nephews") and she LOVES the Lord of the Rings movies and Hellboy and she's only 3 years old. Doesn't get scared by them at all.
End of line.
warning

Post by warning »

Kaigen wrote:
Tscott wrote: just lent the reader of the two my copy of Coraline by Neil Gaiman to read (he loved it)
He might be excited to hear that Henry Selick, who directed Nightmare Before Christmas, is now working on a Coraline movie.
It wasn't Tim Burton?
Kaigen

Post by Kaigen »

No. He produced it and wrote the story it was based upon, but it was directed by Henry Selick who also did James and the Giant Peach and Monkeybone.
End of line.
warning

Post by warning »

Kaigen wrote:No. He produced it and wrote the story it was based upon, but it was directed by Henry Selick who also did James and the Giant Peach and Monkeybone.
I should read the back of my DVD case sometime. Doh!
The Evil Dead

Post by The Evil Dead »

Yeah, it's always marketed as purely Tim Burton's movie. That always kinda irked me. Like "Steven Spielberg's" Taken, for example. Oh well, never like NBXM though. I don't know what I'm doing here. Oh well. Hi!
Listen to the Eels
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Nightmare before Xmas is scary! Maybe The Iron Giant would go over better with such little kids. It's not at all subversive, but you'd still be the cool uncle.

To my sister's kids, Uncle Ironrod is the flamboyant and dangerous guy who is (tragically) bound for hell. Their parents are very churchy, boring people.
dfs again

Post by dfs again »

No. I don't think Nightmare is appropriate for the age group you've listed.

Iron Giant is a better choice. Fabulous film.

Castle in the sky is an even better one. Probably the most old-kid-accessable miyazaki film out there.

FWIW my 10 year old would be fine for nightmare. It would keep my 12 year old up for weeks.