Utah ROCKS! [56k]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Exodor

Utah ROCKS! [56k]

Post by Exodor »

That's what I saw on my vacation last week.

Zion National Park

We spent several days hiking at Zion National Park, the nation's smallest national park located in Southwestern Utah. The hiking trails were amazing (highly recommend the Emerald Pools Trail!) and the temperatures were quite moderate considering the time of year.

Mr and Mrs. Exodor at a scenic overlook in Zion

Emerald Pools Trail in Zion

After spending three days in Zion, we moved on to Bryce Canyon National Park, which isn't a Canyon at all but rather a amazing demonstration of the power of erosion. We were amazingly lucky - the park received a healthy snowfall the week before we arrived, but was clear and sunny (although cold!) during our visit.

Bryce Canyon National Park

Unfortunately for us, this park lies at an elevations ranging from 7000 to 9000+ feet. After a relatively short hike, we lowlanders were completely spent and actually felt rather ill that evening.

On the other hand, the views were worth a bit of queasiness:

Inspiration Point (I think!) in Bryce Canyon NP

Thanks to everyone who answered my call for info about this area - it really helped us form our itinerary and gave us some idea of what to expect.

So, what did I miss last week? Any news of note? :wink:
knob

Post by knob »

Awesome stuff. I always wanted to visit that part of the country.

But, if everything works out, I'll be in Alaska in 2 months. Maybe I can post some snowy versions of those pictures.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
knob

Post by knob »

Crap.

I just noticed.

Is the title a bad pun? Utah rocks? Pictures of rocks? Ha..ha..ha..
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Valael wrote:Crap.

I just noticed.

Is the title a bad pun? Utah rocks? Pictures of rocks? Ha..ha..ha..
Amazing what one can come up with when you're hiking at ~8000 feet and your brain is starving for oxygen... :oops:
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Great pictures, Exodor. I'm glad you had a great time. Did you go to all three of the Emerald pools (lower, middle, high/upper)?
It's great that the weather held for you.
Snow

Post by Snow »

Definately some great geography in that part of the country. When I was a kid, almost all of our vacations were out that way. I have almost exactly that same picture of Bryce Canyon from when I was a kid, then I suppose most people do have that particular picture :)
KingB

Post by KingB »

Me and my girlfriend got back last night from Las Vegas and traveled through some of that to get back to our town in Utah. Its so awesome.

We traveled highway 15 thats runs right through the mountains on the way to LV. We took pics and will post some as well for all to see. I never knew Utah was so nice. :D
Currently thinking of something clever.........
Lee

Post by Lee »

Nice pictures. I plan to take a trip out to Dinosaur National Park next spring/summer myself.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Lee wrote:Nice pictures. I plan to take a trip out to Dinosaur National Park next spring/summer myself.
Hey, *we're* hoping to make it to Dinosaur next summer ourselves. No fair ganking our trip out from under us. (Of course, I was hoping for a week-long trip up to Glacier *this* summer, and that didn't come close to materializing, so what do I know?)

Great photos, Exodor. You certainly did have some great weather for the trip. Regarding altitude sickness -- DRINK MORE WATER! Nothing preemptively beats off that constant headache like hydration. :)

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Bad Demographic wrote:Great pictures, Exodor. I'm glad you had a great time. Did you go to all three of the Emerald pools (lower, middle, high/upper)?
It's great that the weather held for you.
First of all, apologies for the screwed up formatting in this thread. That last pic is just too gorgeous to reduce like the others.

We visited all three Emerald Pools. The trail to the upper was a bit adventurous, but it was a great hike, if a little cold:

We got so lucky with the weather - there was snow on the ground from the previous storm, and it seems that area is getting about a foot of snow today! 8)
Lee

Post by Lee »

Wow, that last pic really is beautiful. I may have to venture out there too.

Have you been to Dinosaur National Monument before the Meal? I was there 8 years ago (I used to be a paleontology nut, but haven't really studied up on it in the last few years), and I am really looking forward to seeing the how much they have excavated since I was last there.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Enough

Post by Enough »

Wow, those are some great shots Exodor! I love the Emerald Pools one, it has a mystical quality to it, and who couldn't love your Bryce shot. Glad you had fun on your trip! 8)
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Lee wrote:Have you been to Dinosaur National Monument before the Meal? I was there 8 years ago (I used to be a paleontology nut, but haven't really studied up on it in the last few years), and I am really looking forward to seeing the how much they have excavated since I was last there.
I haven't, Lee. But Enough sure has. You should hit him up on info when we have the get-together. :)

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra