Arrested Development is back!!!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

WPD

Arrested Development is back!!!

Post by WPD »

I know there were other people on the board who watched this last season, so who watched it tonight?

Tobias wanting to join the Blue Man Group was great.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i thought this thread was about Speech getting the group back together and releasing a new album...
Lee

Post by Lee »

I was a little disappointed. Not ever sure why, but it didn't have the feel of last season to me. David Cross was great as always though.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Quipp

Post by Quipp »

Granted, not the best episode of the show but still funny.

I laughed pretty hard at this exchange:

Michael: Gob, instead of coming to me asking me for money, saying I've made a huge mistake you can bail yourself out next time.

Gob: <nervous laughter>I've never admitted to a mistake...<almost crying>what would I have made a mistake about?

And David Cross is comedy gold.

Michael: You haven't auditioned yet?

Tobias: <covered in blue body paint> Oh, no, no...I'm not in the group yet. I'm afraid I just blue myself.

Michael: There's gotta be a better way to say that.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I thought the show was great. The writing is still there and the characters have so many flaws it's amazing.

What were Tobias' last words?

I blue myself.

He said some beautiful things.
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

hitbyambulance wrote:i thought this thread was about Speech getting the group back together and releasing a new album...
I heard that they will never get back together because that old guy and the rest of the group can't come to an agreement on his contract. ;)
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Oh, but back on topic. I Tivo'd it last night, so haven't gotten a chance to watch it. I am sure it will be as great as last season.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It brought a lot of threads from last season together. Spoilers follow:

I'm especially tickled by the Saddam contract...and I didn't see the switcheroo with the twins coming at all.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Never saw the show before, but after it won all those awards, i figured i would give it a shot. Unfortunately, I thought it was kind of meh.

I guess i expected gut busting comedy, but got more dry Larry David type humor, which i happen to like. David Cross and Tambor are great and the blue man scene plus the scene where the kid gets arrested while driving on his dad's lap was pretty funny. I'll give it another chance, maybe there were just too many inside jokes from the first season.
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Jag wrote:Never saw the show before, but after it won all those awards, i figured i would give it a shot. Unfortunately, I thought it was kind of meh.

I guess i expected gut busting comedy, but got more dry Larry David type humor, which i happen to like.
It definitely isn't gut-busting comedy, though there are definitely laugh-out-loud moments. I love the show because, to me, the comedy is just very sharp and witty.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Jag wrote:Never saw the show before, but after it won all those awards, i figured i would give it a shot. Unfortunately, I thought it was kind of meh.
I just watched the entire first season on DVD and it's humor is the kind that grows on you. There's a lot of running gags that get funnier over time. It also takes a little while to get to know all the family members and their quirks.

For example, one joke you may have missed is when George-Michael (Jason Bateman's son) is told his Aunt Lindsay doesn't have the family nose, there's a look of hope he gets, only to be crushed when it's explained she only because she had a nose job- Aunt Lindsay's daughter Maeby (his cousin) kissed him in the pilot episode and he's had a crush on her since then, and there've been hints that she might not really be related to him but he hasn't been able to find out anything concrete.

I'd say, if you're interested, try renting the DVDs and watch them from the start to see if you want to stick with it. The show is a grower and many of it's running gags get funnier over time (unlike most normal sitcoms where a running gag is just repeating one joke into the ground over and over).
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

One great running gag that comes to mind is the whole Saddam Hussein thing where the Dad "may have committed light treason." They reference it from time to time.
Mookee

Post by Mookee »

Portia de Rossi looks absolutely fantastic this season.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

DiscoJason wrote:Oh, but back on topic. I Tivo'd it last night, so haven't gotten a chance to watch it. I am sure it will be as great as last season.
you may find yourself in trouble as our local affiliate pushed the times for the simpsons and AR back almost 20 minutes due to a football game. now i'm gonna have to find a copy somewhere of both. damn television stations and their bloody time shifting!
Quipp

Post by Quipp »

Mookee wrote:Portia de Rossi looks absolutely fantastic this season.
Yes, she does.

It's amazing what eating food will do for a woman.
tswright

Post by tswright »

Mookee wrote:Portia de Rossi looks absolutely fantastic this season.
She could tour my open house anytime.

Gob's dollar bill into pennies trick had me rolling. Not quite as hilarious as him prancing around to Europe's The Final Countdown last season but still funny.
WPD

Post by WPD »

One thing I was disappointed in was the increased role of the adopted Korean boy. He was a lot funnier when he was just kind of there and they mostly ignored him.

And I loved the doctor: "He looks dead." :lol: