Would you pay $5 per GB? [Hard drives]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

The Meal

Would you pay $5 per GB? [Hard drives]

Post by The Meal »

Suggested retail pricing for WD Passport Portable USB Drive 40 GB capacity is $199 (USD) and $249 (USD) for 80 GB.
How about if it were for a portable drive that you can slip in your pocket, hook up to any modern PC, and not need to worry about external power?

Sounds pretty slick to me. (Corporate PR piece)

As hard drive companies continue to limp along, it is this sort of product differentiation which will create winners and losers. And that's in a commodity field where differentiation has long been the fast-track to being left behind. Interesting times.

Don't *EVEN* get me started on the joys of vertical integration...

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I like the idea.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

THis old graybeard remembers when $1 per meg was considered a steal.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Ironrod wrote:THis old graybeard remembers when $1 per meg was considered a steal.
Whippersnapper!

~Neal
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ironrod wrote:THis old graybeard remembers when $1 per meg was considered a steal.
Hell, I remember $5/MB being unbelievable, and I'm not even gray!
Kael

Post by Kael »

Pointer

Post by Pointer »

Um, shouldn't this be in "General Computing"?

Ducks.....
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Kael wrote:[img]Really%20Old%20Computer%20System[/img]
Wow! 2 MB? Where do I sign up?
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Odin

Post by Odin »

This is one of those "meh" devices that sounds royally cool until I think about application. Sure, it's a small portable storage device with huge capacity. So it's ideal for people who want to carry large amounts of data around to a variety of PCs. Not unheard of, but how common is that? With thumb drives as big as 1gb costing $75 or less, I'd see most people going that way (and yes, I realize it's more than 10x as expensive per gig as the HDD). Here's the thing - no matter how small the HDD is, it's not tiny. It's still an extra piece of equipment you're carrying around. Sure, it can hold 20 movies, but who travels AND watches movies on a PC? They use laptops, and if you're already carrying and setting up a laptop on your airplane tray, you don't want an extra HDD dangling off it - you'd just load the movies onto the laptop.

Similarly, it holds a ton of music, but it doesn't play it. So unless you commonly visit a lot of different PCs, you'd probably rather have either a player or else a much smaller device.

Oddly enough, I actually own an external HDD. I got it before thumb drives were either large or affordable, and I used it to hold my Outlook .pst file and shuttle it and other docs between home and work. I'd actually have a use for one of the HDDs Meal links to, but I know hardly anyone else who would. By "know," I mean know personally - not online where all the geeks are.

In any case, I think it's cool that HDDs are being miniaturized and ruggedized while still remaining affordable. I just don't see a broad market for them.

Sith
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Kael wrote:Image
Monitor and mouse not included :shock:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Sith, you make some good points. My iPod has the same capabilities for large, painless file migration, *and* it has a little bit of extra utility (in the ability to portably play music) for all of $100 more. The WD USB drive is priced a bit better for folks (college students, professional researchers, heartless working-drones with no lives) who're working on large projects both at home and at work, but I doubt the market is going to be gangbusters.

~Neal
Enough

Post by Enough »

If this had slots for cf cards, sd cards, etc. to download on I could see it being a huge hit in the digital photog community for people who want a place to dump their full memory cards while out shooting in the field. Although with the cost of the 20 gig media players w/pretty lcd screens coming down I'm not sure it could fully compete. But for me if it were that cheap for an 80 GB I would be on it like white on rice.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Another thing that would affect my buy would be the speed and transfer rate of the HD. I have an external 80G 7200 rpm HD now that works pretty good,especially for my laptop for a fraction of their asking prices.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

dbt1949 wrote:Another thing that would affect my buy would be the speed and transfer rate of the HD. I have an external 80G 7200 rpm HD now that works pretty good,especially for my laptop for a fraction of their asking prices.
Well that's definitely an issue with USB. If you want to use something that'll work with up to 95% of all PC's built in the past four years, you're going to end up using a non-optimal data transfer system. USB2.0 would definitely be workable with a HDD, but it's no firewire.

Enough, your idea for various media readers to be attached is ABSOLUTELY FOREIGN for hard drive makers. We just slap different types of wires, or if we're really inventive: cases, around the same mechanics we've been building for the past 20 years. That level of functionality is ooogy-booogy way too scarey for HDD manufacturers to even think about. Let Phillips or Sony make devices (and profits) such as those, and we'll just ship them our mechanics.

~Neal

Post by Default »

rm -rf
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken