[SPORTS] I'm shocked!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Anonymous Bosch

Re: [SPORTS] I'm shocked!

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Hasn't every winner in the past like 15 years been stripped of their title for the most part?
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Heres a bit more positive column regarding Armstrong.
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8310 ... h-honoring" target="_blank
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Really nothing posted about this week's news?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

tjg_marantz wrote:Really nothing posted about this week's news?
Most of us aren't shocked, and the deniers are embarrassed.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

noxiousdog wrote:
tjg_marantz wrote:Really nothing posted about this week's news?
Most of us aren't shocked, and the deniers are embarrassed.
You might be right.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yet more news? What is it?

Google says new book. Is that it?
Last edited by GreenGoo on Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koz

Post by Koz »

USADA released their report and the reasoning for banning Armstrong and it's pretty damning stuff.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Koz wrote:USADA released their report and the reasoning for banning Armstrong and it's pretty damning stuff.
Thanks, will take a look.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Resigns from Livestrong. Dropped by Anheuser-Busch, Trek, FRS and Giro. How's your Wednesday?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

tjg_marantz wrote:Resigns from Livestrong. Dropped by Anheuser-Busch, Trek, FRS and Giro. How's your Wednesday?
Pretty sad turn of events these last few years for the Armstrong legacy. I used to really admire him ever since I read his first book. It's just a shame that it was not what it looked to be.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

For me, I just dont view him any less that I did before now that the accusations are proven.

I think an interesting angle to this is what he did after the Tour. In launching his Livestrong and really making a huge effort toward fighting cancer. How does that play into his legacy? He made a smart move in resigning from Livestrong.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Crux

Post by Crux »

The big thing to me is, he could have come clean a long time ago. But done so in a way that was more dignified. "Yes, I doped. Everyone does it. I was trying to compete on a level playing field with my competitors". Instead he's gone down kicking and screaming, claiming so aggressively that he didn't cheat at any point. In doing so he's put himself in a corner where there is no graceful way out.
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Crux wrote:The big thing to me is, he could have come clean a long time ago. But done so in a way that was more dignified. "Yes, I doped. Everyone does it. I was trying to compete on a level playing field with my competitors". Instead he's gone down kicking and screaming, claiming so aggressively that he didn't cheat at any point. In doing so he's put himself in a corner where there is no graceful way out.
Clemens won his case (so far).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Pyperkub wrote: Clemens won his case (so far).

Maybe legally, but his reputation is severely tarnished.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Qantaga wrote:

Only legally.

There was a report out that Nike paid $500,000 to suppress a positive drug test. "Kathy LeMond, the wife of American cyclist Greg LeMond, ... testified under oath during a 2006 deposition that Nike paid former UCI president Hein Verbruggen $500,000 to cover up a positive drug test."

Ouch
Last edited by noxiousdog on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
stessier

Post by stessier »

Wait, aren't negative drug tests a good thing?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

stessier wrote:Wait, aren't negative drug tests a good thing?
uh. right. corrected!
Black Lives Matter

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote:
Qantaga wrote:

Only legally.

There was a report out that Nike paid $500,000 to suppress a positive drug test. "Kathy LeMond, the wife of American cyclist Greg LeMond, ... testified under oath during a 2006 deposition that Nike paid former UCI president Hein Verbruggen $500,000 to cover up a positive drug test."

Ouch
Oh, man, if Nike gets implicated...it's like early Christmas.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

In that Nike story it features some guy's wife saying someone else told her something he heard from someone else. This is an example of the 'avalanche of evidence'?

One guy supposedly didn't report Armstrong because that guy was afraid that false reports of doping would tarnish his wins. So then the accusers have reason to know that mere accusations can ruin someone's reputation in this sport. I'm sure that has no impact on the fact that now, years later, people are saying he did all this stuff. I mean, if a false accusation could ruin your rep, imagine what an accusation that had merit would have done to Armstrong...and yet no one ever found anything even though they looked and looked.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

noxiousdog wrote:
Qantaga wrote:

Only legally.

While I'm sure this is needless clarification on my part, perhaps I should have gone with the more grammatically correct "Maybe he won his case so far legally," rather than rely on the lazier (slang) "Maybe legally."
gameoverman wrote:I mean, if a false accusation could ruin your rep, imagine what an accusation that had merit would have done to Armstrong...and yet no one ever found anything even though they looked and looked.

Seriously?

You really believe an innocent Armstrong would willingly step down from Livestrong and Nike (who has never terminated any other contract ever, including Kobe and Tiger) would terminate his contract if the accusations were false?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Qantaga wrote:
While I'm sure this is needless clarification on my part, perhaps I should have gone with the more grammatically correct "Maybe he won his case so far legally," rather than rely on the lazier (slang) "Maybe legally."
I wasn't doing a grammatical correction. I just have a hard time anyone looking at him without a hard core Clemens bias could decide that he was clean.
Black Lives Matter

Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

noxiousdog wrote: I wasn't doing a grammatical correction. I just have a hard time anyone looking at him without a hard core Clemens bias could decide that he was clean.

I'm with you.

I know we're into the land of semantics now, but my "Maybe legally" was a (perhaps regional) phrase that meant "setting aside that he won his legal case (so far)."

My "Maybe legally" meant the same thing as your "Only legally" (at least in my mind).
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

So, anyone still in the its only a witch hunt camp?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBS News
A person familiar with the situation says Lance Armstrong confessed to Oprah Winfrey during an interview Monday that he used performance-enhancing drugs to win the Tour de France.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the interview is to be broadcast Thursday on Winfrey's network. CBS News cannot confirm the veracity of the AP source, but Winfrey will appear on "CBS This Morning" on Tuesday to talk about the Armstrong interview.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Fuck Lance Armstrong

What an asshole. :-x
stessier

Post by stessier »

Exodor wrote: :-x
:?:

You seem shocked by this information. Had you already accepted he had cheated? If so, why does this testimony surprise you? Did you think they were doping after a prayer circle meeting?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think he's more referring to the mafia tactics not the doping part. Not only was he lying to the public he was doing his best to keep everyone quite. What an asshat.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He totally should write a book "What a Dope". I bet it would sell in the millions. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stessier

Post by stessier »

Octavious wrote:I think he's more referring to the mafia tactics not the doping part. Not only was he lying to the public he was doing his best to keep everyone quite. What an asshat.
I guess I'm just surprised that anyone thinks a conspiracy is a pleasant endeavor. Of course there were mafia tactics.
Octavious wrote:He totally should write a book "What a Dope". I bet it would sell in the millions. :lol:
Well played!! :lol:
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

:coffee:
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Here is a Planet Money episode on the whole doping racket/scheme that I found very interesting. It's both impressive and disgusting at how sophisticated the whole thing is.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/11/ ... -of-doping" target="_blank
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I think Brandon McCarthy explains my feelings pretty well:
Brandon McCarthy ‏@BMcCarthy32

I don't want to see Lance admit to PEDs. I want him to admit to & apologize for ruining the lives of people who stood in the way of his ego
PLW

Post by PLW »

I'm with Andrew Sharp
Troll Tuesday wrote: So here's a question: Does it matter if Lance took performance enhancing drugs?

If I told you that the 1980 U.S. hockey team was taking performance enhancing drugs, would it change the way we remember the Miracle On Ice?

Of course not. The Soviets were probably doped up to the gills, just like Lance's competition. This isn't steroids in baseball we're talking about. This is the world stage, and the playing field's not always level. If you can't roll with the big dogs, maybe you should stay on the porch.

Personally, I like it when America's the biggest dog of all.
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

Exodor wrote:I think Brandon McCarthy explains my feelings pretty well:
Brandon McCarthy ‏@BMcCarthy32

I don't want to see Lance admit to PEDs. I want him to admit to & apologize for ruining the lives of people who stood in the way of his ego
This is probably my biggest issue, not that he actually took PED, but that he aggressively went after others that claimed he did dope - ala Landis, Adnreiu, LeMond, etc. His Lawyers and accountants are going to be kept very busy over the next years figuring out who gets restitution and settling suits.

I can't remember which commentator it was that was talking about it this AM, but it's still "All about Lance & Win at all costs." He's going to approach this 'apology tour' with the same vigor he did in every race he's ever entered.
Last edited by Crabbs on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

PLW wrote:I'm with Andrew Sharp
Troll Tuesday wrote: So here's a question: Does it matter if Lance took performance enhancing drugs?

If I told you that the 1980 U.S. hockey team was taking performance enhancing drugs, would it change the way we remember the Miracle On Ice?

Of course not. The Soviets were probably doped up to the gills, just like Lance's competition. This isn't steroids in baseball we're talking about. This is the world stage, and the playing field's not always level. If you can't roll with the big dogs, maybe you should stay on the porch.

The intro to that piece certainly nailed it: "On Troll Tuesdays, we attempt to construct the most obnoxious column on earth"

Ugh.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

PLW wrote:I'm with Andrew Sharp

Of course not. The Soviets were probably doped up to the gills, just like Lance's competition. This isn't steroids in baseball we're talking about.
I'm not. That's just silly.

The Miracle was the Miracle precisely because it was David vs. Goliath. It wasn't a bunch of American pros (hypothetical, of course) playing Russia's elite. It was a bunch of college kids playing some of the world's best hockey players. And beating them. (Also, his casual accusation that all the Russians were on steroids shouldn't go unnoticed. Really? Fetisov on steroids? Kharlamov on steroids? Makarov, Tretiak, should I go on? It was a miracle because boys beat grizzled, battle-tested, elite men. Not because clean guys beat dopers.)
This is the world stage, and the playing field's not always level. If you can't roll with the big dogs, maybe you should stay on the porch.

Yeah, Ok. America, fuck yeah! I get it. But honestly, which was more memorable, the Miracle on Ice or the basketball Dream Team? He can have his "big dogs". Which is more rewarding, Harry Potter winning the ski jump or Lulu Zhou winning weighlifting?

If a sport like the Tour de France is composed of all steroid users and blood dopers, he says send the biggest, baddest doper of them all top win it. Wow, sounds like fun. I say screw that sport. Which is what I've said about the Tour and Armstrong all along.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ahh, I bit.

MYT
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I was comforted by the fact that the URL included "Troll Tuesday", because otherwise, yeah.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
PLW

Post by PLW »

More seriously, I just don't have it in me to care too much. Maybe if I followed cycling this would be a bigger deal to me, but as it is.. meh.