Getting rid of a gun?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Mr. Fed

Getting rid of a gun?

Post by Mr. Fed »

Back in '95, in a fit of self-aggrandizement as I was starting my new job as a prosecutor, I bought a Glock -- model 22, if memory serves (.40 caliber) with a pre-ban clip. I practiced with it occasionally at a range.

Now I haven't fired it in about 7 years. In fact, I haven't taken it out of the locked gun case for about 7 years. Maybe 8. It's been locked in there open -- that is, with the slide back -- that whole time. I probably didn't clean it before the last time I locked it up, knowing me. So it's just been sitting on a top shelf in the closet for approaching a decade.

Now that the kids are getting into the serious mischief stage, I'd like to get rid of it. I bought it legally from a gun shop. I'm just wondering how to sell or otherwise dispose of it. I went down to our local Sheriff's substation down the block to see if they have a turn-in-your-gun program but they don't. I suppose I need to take it to a gun store, but I can't imagine that it's worth much.

Any suggestions?
Koz

Post by Koz »

I hear the dumpster or the river is a good place. Even better: next to a dead body.

Seriously though, I'm not sure. I'd think a gunshop would be your best bet. I'm surprised the local police don't let you turn them in. You think they'd be open to that sort of thing.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

Pawn shop?

local playground?

My serious suggestion would the the local PD also. Maybe a local gunsmith would take it, or at the very least may be able to disable the firing mechanism and take any ammo off of your hands.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Griffith Park.
Austin

Post by Austin »

CeeKay wrote:
local playground?
'My initial thought was schoolyard so close enough. :P
noun

Post by noun »

How much do you want for it?
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I hear inner-cities and yuppie youth are always clamoring for guns. ;)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Doesn't this forum have a trading section? I'll trade you Doom 3 for it.
MHS

Post by MHS »

From some website:

Individuals have several options for disposing of their firearm. These options include:

Donating the firearm to a properly-licensed museum;
Selling the firearm to a properly-licensed person or gun dealer;
Selling the firearm on consignment provided the person selling on consignment holds a valid licence;
Giving the firearm to a properly-licensed person, such as a gun collector or dealer;
Exporting the firearm in accordance with applicable legal requirements;
Deactivating the firearm so it is no longer a firearm, following the Registrar's recommended deactivation procedures; or,
Turning in the firearm to a police officer or a firearms officer.

Don't know how much help that is, Mr. Fed, but maybe it's a start.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

siljanus wrote:Doesn't this forum have a trading section? I'll trade you Doom 3 for it.
I heart siljanus
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've never heard of a PD that wouldn't take a gun,especially here locally. I even gave them some real old shotgun shells to dispose of once for me.
As others have stated tho,if that doesn't work sell it to a pawn shop.Image
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

Try a gun shop. Lots of them sell used guns on a consigment basis.

Or you can get a trigger lock and a safe and store it away for a rainy day...
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

You can sell it to another private individual in certain states. Under no circumstance should you mail ammunition without obtaining the proper approval. You'll have to check your specific state's laws on transferring the firearm. You can try http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Default.aspx and click on your state.

If you absolutely want to get rid of it now, get out the yellow pages and call a few gun stores and ask them if they'll pay you cash for it. Your best bet would be a store that has a firing range in it or nearby where the buyer can test it out to make sure it's in good firing condition
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Gun stores are going to give you pennies on the dollar for it. They'll give you more for it if you're trading up, but for a pure pawn, you'll get screwed. I imagine a barely-used Glock 22 would fetch $400 to any buyer. You can try selling it online at www.gunsamerica.com, but I'm not sure what the law is in California. You might want to ask around at www.glocktalk.com. Those guys are a wealth of gun information.
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

Go to a convenience store and wave it at the clerk. I'm sure he'll trade you all the money in his till for it.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

McNutt wrote:Gun stores are going to give you pennies on the dollar for it. They'll give you more for it if you're trading up, but for a pure pawn, you'll get screwed. I imagine a barely-used Glock 22 would fetch $400 to any buyer. You can try selling it online at www.gunsamerica.com, but I'm not sure what the law is in California. You might want to ask around at www.glocktalk.com. Those guys are a wealth of gun information.
Gun laws are real tough in CA.
GargoyleBoy

Re: Getting rid of a gun?

Post by GargoyleBoy »

Mr. Fed wrote:Back in '95, in a fit of self-aggrandizement as I was starting my new job as a prosecutor, I bought a Glock -- model 22, if memory serves (.40 caliber) with a pre-ban clip. I practiced with it occasionally at a range.

Now I haven't fired it in about 7 years. In fact, I haven't taken it out of the locked gun case for about 7 years. Maybe 8. It's been locked in there open -- that is, with the slide back -- that whole time. I probably didn't clean it before the last time I locked it up, knowing me. So it's just been sitting on a top shelf in the closet for approaching a decade.

Now that the kids are getting into the serious mischief stage, I'd like to get rid of it. I bought it legally from a gun shop. I'm just wondering how to sell or otherwise dispose of it. I went down to our local Sheriff's substation down the block to see if they have a turn-in-your-gun program but they don't. I suppose I need to take it to a gun store, but I can't imagine that it's worth much.

Any suggestions?
fill it full of epoxy cement and have it mounted on a plaque.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Wait... can we charge Mr. Fed for this advice?
Debris

Post by Debris »

Take it to the local PD. It's probably the best way to make sure it stays out of the wrong hands. Either that or make a night trip to Compton or Carson. I hear there are a bunch of people there who'll pay you cash for it. :)
Rip

Re: Getting rid of a gun?

Post by Rip »

Mr. Fed wrote:Back in '95, in a fit of self-aggrandizement as I was starting my new job as a prosecutor, I bought a Glock -- model 22, if memory serves (.40 caliber) with a pre-ban clip. I practiced with it occasionally at a range.

Any suggestions?
Actually I would expect it still has decent value. Take it to a Gun Shop. Unless of course you want to UPS it to me.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Debris wrote:Take it to the local PD. It's probably the best way to make sure it stays out of the wrong hands. Either that or make a night trip to Compton or Carson. I hear there are a bunch of people there who'll pay you cash for it. :)
Just make sure to let them know you have another one on you that's loaded and you're not selling.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I found myself in a similiar situation a few years ago... I bought an Egyptian AK-47 back in college on a whim (long story... essentially I was into collecting military stuff at the time) but never used it and wanted to get rid of it. I posted your exact question on the old forum, and as it happens wound up selling it to Metalhed.

A little more was involved selling it via mail (had to get a licensed gun dealer to ship it to another licensed dealer near Metalhed) but it worked out in the end. Perhaps someone here would be interested?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Despite what many think, it is entirely possible to privately sell a gun to an individual without having that gun used in a crime.
U2k Da Greate$t

Post by U2k Da Greate$t »

I Trade you my Wisdom for It. I'll keep People from Hurting others with it.
"Possible All things IS if you Believe"
Brian

Post by Brian »

I would suggest you try to sell it on Gunbroker. It's an EBay like website dedicated to the buying/selling of firearms. You can legally sell that handgun via Gunbroker in all 50 states.

Be honest about the condition of the gun and include at least one picture. You'll probably get between $350 - $400 for it. Set a reserver at $350 and you should be fine.

Be aware that you'll have to take it to a gundealer and pay them to have it shipped (usually between $30 - $40) and that it can only be shipped to another dealer so be sure to get a copy of the FFL (Federal Firearms License) signed in red or blue ink of the dealer you're shipping it to.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
hodge313

Post by hodge313 »

Make it a halloween that one trick-or-treater will never forget.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I inherited my dad's gun collection when he died. He had sold most of the best pieces off over the years, but I still had about half a dozen long guns and a few handguns to dispose of. I sold them to the gun shop that we had patronized for decades. I just kept my old 12-gauge Ithaca over-and-under, a .3006 deer rifle, a .22 long barrel target pistol, and an unregistered handgun suitable for murdering someone, because you just never know when you might need to.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A Glock is a pretty solid piece of hardware. I doubt that neglect will have done too much damage, unless you had it sitting in a puddle of water.

If your goal is to make it go away with a minimum of fuss, open the yellow pages, look under Gun Dealers, Used, pick one, drive over, and take whatever they offer.
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Ironrod wrote:I inherited my dad's gun collection when he died. He had sold most of the best pieces off over the years, but I still had about half a dozen long guns and a few handguns to dispose of. I sold them to the gun shop that we had patronized for decades. I just kept my old 12-gauge Ithaca over-and-under, a .3006 deer rifle, a .22 long barrel target pistol, and an unregistered handgun suitable for murdering someone, because you just never know when you might need to.
You know, I 'm the kind of guy that would keep the unregistered gun just in case. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to kill anyone, but I like to be prepared for all eventualities.
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Ebay
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Just mail it to me.

Ha, just kidding, ya think I'm stupid or something?

Do the right thing and email it to me.
Flatlander

Post by Flatlander »

Are you really sure you want to get rid of it rather than just keeping it and putting a bit more security on it? Maybe a trigger lock.

I kind of look at having a gun like having a generator. 99.99% of the time I don't need one, but if I need it, it's an emergency.

Of course, If you are dead set on getting rid of it and are worried about someone else causing mischief with it, you can just go out to the garage, take it apart and smash the pieces with a hammer.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

I'll give you 20 bucks for it. You are going to have to mail it to my dad though. I don't think the people here on campus would like a pistol coming to me in the mail.

Just kidding. Sell it on ebay. Say it is a pre-release copy of Half-Life 2 or something.