The eyes of the prize (art related)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

What secular stylings do you frequent at the polar junctions most often?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:39 pm

Seonance
8%
Forsoothe
No votes
Le Pie
17%
Sonic's Cherry Limeade
33%
Abort
8%
Retry
8%
Fail
25%

Total votes: 12

ChrisGrenard

The eyes of the prize (art related)

Post by ChrisGrenard »

I have recently started drawing a bit again. However, my skills could easily be described as rather lackluster. So, I was wondering if anybody had some links to some sites that helped with drawing.

Specifically, I want to draw something that is a mix between anime style and realistic. My idea for what I want to draw is a stylized character, but I want to use more realistic shading and not-so-anime style of eyes/face/hair.

And the art classes here at CU are definitally not for me. I tried one, didn't like it at all, so I'm mostly looking to learn via example.

And for good measure, here is a poll for you.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Can I get a HUNH?!? picture in here?
18-1™ & 2-0
wire

Post by wire »

Using Google I typed in drawing tutorial and got a whole list of websites with drawing tutorials.

Even one on the first page for Anima drawing

http://www.bakaneko.com/howto/main.htm
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Either there's some deeper meaning to that poll that I'm not getting, or it belongs in a bizarre time-warp crossover between Monty Python and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

- Ash
kathode

Post by kathode »

If you're not scared of public, honest critique from people who are much better than you (no matter who you are), I highly recommend the Sijun.com forums. It's a site run by a guy who works for Valve, and the forums are places for people to post their work and get comments from other digital artists. There are a lot of game artists who hang out there, and a lot of people who's talents will just make your eyes pop out. Even the great and powerful Craig Mullins hangs out there from time to time (username: Spooge Demon).

You might also try and check out a copy of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. A lot of people have a lot of great comments about it teaching them the basics of rendering drawings from real life in a short time period.
Koz

Post by Koz »

ChrisGrenard wrote:Specifically, I want to draw something that is a mix between anime style and realistic. My idea for what I want to draw is a stylized character, but I want to use more realistic shading and not-so-anime style of eyes/face/hair.
You mean anime isn't real?!?! OMYGODZ SAILOR MOON NO!!!!!!11
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Asharak wrote:Either there's some deeper meaning to that poll that I'm not getting, or it belongs in a bizarre time-warp crossover between Monty Python and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

- Ash
Pretty much, yeah. I figured, hey, if people wander into this thread and it is not something they are interested in, at least they get to participate in what is easily one of the oddest polls ever concieved.

Personally, I prefer Retry. ;)

Oh, and thanks for the links! Reading 'em all now...
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

Those are some good links. My main tip, though, would be to just draw as much as possible. Sketch, and sketch quickly. Best place to start would be just quick sketches of what you see around you, then you can move on to adding detail, figuring out which shading works best for you, that sort of thing.

I really wouldn't recommend trying to aim for a particular "style," though, as I find it can really hamper one's creativity. I really think that style should be something you develop personally--certainly one can draw from other styles and be influenced by them, but I would caution against aiming for your drawings to look a certain way.

And hell, scan some stuff and post it here! I'd be more than happy to offer some critiques and give you some pointers. It would give me a reason to shamelessly scan and post my own stuff for criticism as well, which is always fun.
Enough

Post by Enough »

How can it be that I am the only one who likes pie? Mmmm pie?

It looks like you already have some good suggestions for your real question but I'll throw one more on the pile: http://www.deviantart.com/

DeviantArt is a pretty strong community of artists and some do anime if that is what you are after. It can get elitist around there, but aren't all artists that way? :D
When I go out with artists
They talk about language and the cubists and the dadaists
And I try to catch their meanings
And keep up with all the martinis
I don't know which should be my favorite paintings

If I could see, if I could see, if I could
See all the symbols, unlock what they mean
Maybe I could, maybe I could, maybe I
Could meet the artists, and get to know them personally

If I were David Byrne
I'd go to galleries and not be too concerned
Well I would have a cup of coffee
And I'd find my surroundings quite amusing and
People would ask me which were my favorite paintings

What if the artists ran the TV?
All the ads would be for fine scotch whiskey:
Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, the whole single malt family

The artists of the future
Will make up new things and different nomenclatures
And they'll stand amongst their pictures
And they'll sing and laugh and quote from scriptures and
When they go home they'll dream of brilliant paintings
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Jessan

Post by Jessan »

Take a look at Everyday Matters and maybe try keeping an art journal.

It's an interesting site in any case.