What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by hitbyambulance »

now this has been a while... EMF Stigma
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Embarrassing confession time:

I came across a cover of Death Cab for Cutie's I'll Follow You Into the Dark (one of my favorite songs) by Yungblud and Halsey. I was surprised to see the former playing AND singing, and decided to look up some of his stuff (I'm old and not in his demographic, so he was new to me). What I found was a pretty damn decent musician who plays multiple instruments, writes protest songs with some actual depth, seems sincere, and who tries to capture the look and feel of early British punk. I'm not a fan of his rap stuff personally (which he seems to be moving towards these days), but his earlier songs like King Charles are pretty catchy.

I'm not going to be running out to buy his stuff, but it is heartening to hear young musicians with some actual talent.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Damnit. So sad.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

freelunch wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:09 am Dylan was an acquired taste for me. The 80s was my teen decade and Dylan was mostly crap in the 80s. I picked up a few albums after constant references from artists I did like and after "Blonde On Blonde" and "Desire" clicked for me the rest fell into place.

Aside from "Infidels", 80s Dylan is still pretty terrible in my opinion.
I got my wisdom teeth pulled under iv sedation. I had picked up Highway 61 Revisited on cassette earlier that day and played it on my walkman during the surgery and afterward while I recovered while wasted.

I liked Queen Jane and Like a Rolling Stone before but I was a Dylan fan after.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I'm in a metal phase, and I'd heard that Nightwish (a band I'd paid little attention to before) released an album dedicated to environmentalism and natural science (Endless Forms Most Beautiful). Those subjects are important to me, so I had to give it a listen. Wow.

I'm now going through Nightwish's albums chronologically. Their sound and style has changed a lot over the years. I don't like all of it, but there are enough songs I like here and there that I can probably call myself a fan now. :music-headbanger:
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

New TAYLOR SWIFT!!!!

Come on, anyone else? Anyone? Anyone?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Been listening to lots of Death this week. "Crystal Mountain" is such an fantastic song...Hoglan's cymbal work is incredible.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hipolito wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:19 pm I'm in a metal phase, and I'd heard that Nightwish (a band I'd paid little attention to before) released an album dedicated to environmentalism and natural science (Endless Forms Most Beautiful). Those subjects are important to me, so I had to give it a listen. Wow.

I'm now going through Nightwish's albums chronologically. Their sound and style has changed a lot over the years. I don't like all of it, but there are enough songs I like here and there that I can probably call myself a fan now. :music-headbanger:
You're not a real Nightwish fan unless you have an overly passionate opinion about which lead singer is best. :lol:
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:27 pm
Hipolito wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:19 pm I'm in a metal phase, and I'd heard that Nightwish (a band I'd paid little attention to before) released an album dedicated to environmentalism and natural science (Endless Forms Most Beautiful). Those subjects are important to me, so I had to give it a listen. Wow.

You're not a real Nightwish fan unless you have an overly passionate opinion about which lead singer why Tarja is best. :lol:
FTFY

;)
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

You're not a real Nightwish fan unless you have an overly passionate opinion about which lead singer is best. :lol:
Marco.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hipolito wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Marco.
That is a unique answer!
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:26 pm

You're not a real Nightwish fan unless you have an overly passionate opinion about which lead singer why Tarja is best. :lol:
FTFY

;)
Well...I mean, it is true...
Hodor.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:39 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:26 pm

FTFY

;)
Well...I mean, it is true...
i have never met anyone who liked this band who, for any moment of time, ever thought the Swede or the Dutchie was better than the Finn. the rest of the band is either in denial or just making a public show of being in denial.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:39 pm
Hipolito wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Marco.
That is a unique answer!
I'm just messing with you. Floor is my favorite, though the more I listen to the older stuff, the more I understand the Tarja worship.

Other bands I've tried recently: Epica, Flyleaf, Gojira. I probably won't get into any of them, but damn I love this Gojira video. The savage drumming, the unique guitar-tapping riff, the tension in the singer's eyes and jaw as he transitions between singing and screaming, the way the bass subtly complements him. Exquisite!

EDIT: I'm now listening to Floor's previous band, ReVamp. Crazy. I think Nightwish has her on a leash!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Still one of my favorite indie albums of all time:

Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I find the Nightwish fan forum, and my obsession grows.

Here's Floor singing a German opera ("Vilja Lied" from Die Lustige Witwe, aka The Merry Widow). Looks like Tarja's not the only one with operatic chops.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m back on a Puscifer kick.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

rittchard wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:11 pm New TAYLOR SWIFT!!!!

Come on, anyone else? Anyone? Anyone?
Once the album is out, absolutely.
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've come back to A Hill To Die Upon's Holy Despair (2014, U.S.). They're a band I could never really get into until a couple years back when I found I really liked a couple tracks off this album and their previous one; but re-listening to it now it's fantastic beginning to end. They're another "Christian" black/death band who don't fully embrace that label and seem to share fans across the spectrum of both the Christian and secular metal scenes. Apparently they're frequently compared to Behemoth (whom I'm not familiar with... I tend to stay away from the dark stuff). I think I couldn't crack them at first because I generally prefer more melodic metal, but there are deep grooves here that really reward repeat listens.

My favourite track is Hæðen, but on this pass the song I keep coming back to is "Rime (Jerub-Ba'al)":

It epitomizes the repetitive guitar structures that I find so engaging on this album. This appears to be a re-recording of the closing track off their debut release... I'm going to have to go back and give that one a try. The drumming/blast beats also seem extremely well paced. Instead of creating a wall of noise, they typically accent the song structures and complement the guitars rather than overwhelming them.

I usually can't hear A Hill to Die Upon without wanting to then listen to Norway's Drottnar, who also have ties to the Christian metal scene. Encyclopaedia Metallum calls them technical black. I initially found them incredibly atonal and angular, but again repeat listens are rewarded with deep grooves and hidden melodies.

I could only find the full album on Youtube, but it's queued to track four, Soul Suburbia:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Conform or be cast out!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finally got around to listening to the new Tool album all the way through last night. First impression is that it has two really good songs (Invincible and 7empest, the latter of which is incredible), a few boring songs that I don't have much interest in hearing again, then a bunch of filler crap. Danny Carey (drummer) is amazing, but the rest of it is just meh.
Sudy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:05 am My favourite track is Hæðen, but on this pass the song I keep coming back to is "Rime (Jerub-Ba'al)":

Really like this track. Gonna check these guys out, thanks for the recommendation.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

People just can't do this anymore:

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:31 pm People just can't do this anymore:

I was never one for elaborate NYE celebrations, but one year we bought in to the last night of a nightclub, Limelight, in Chicago. The final act was to be Cab Calloway and his band. A few days earlier, Calloway collapsed on stage in Tokyo and was not yet recovered for this gig, which his band soldiered on without him. He died a short time later. Still, the band was good and the Limelight closing pretty much spelled the end of the nightclub era of my life.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the best ecological/societal collapse concept album
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I enjoy listening to this song during a pleasant morning commute.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I never realized before that this was a tribute to Elvis Presley.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It took about half a dozen listens, but I’m finally warming up to the new Tool album. Once I got past my disappointment that there aren’t any killer standout individual songs (“7empest” is probably the closest), I’m realizing it’s a very good overall piece of work. One of those albums that is better enjoyed as a whole.

And “Chocolate Chip Trip” could be a Download/cEvin Key song. It’s a wonderfully weird bit of electronica.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I posted this in YouTube videos but had to post it here too. A new Alan Parson's song and video..wow!@

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Love me some Alan Parsons, thanks!
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hipolito wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:07 pm I enjoy listening to this song during a pleasant morning commute.

Man, I hate auto tune musicians...
He won. Period.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Alissa White-Gluz is very easy on the eyes

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Xmann wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:35 am Alissa White-Gluz is very easy on the eyes

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
First thing we saw when we walked out on the 70k pool deck a couple years back was Alissa in an extremely tiny bikini.

It...did not suck.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Here is a little family reel of Liliac

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ghost stealth released a new tune over the weekend...and it's awesome.

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

That's really good!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That actually is pretty good. I was afraid it would be more death metal, which I absolutely loathe, but that showed real talent and originality. It reminds me a little of the early years of The Cult...crossed with the theatrics of The Damned or .45 Grave, of course.
He won. Period.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

since i never listened to them before, i'm working my way through Iron Maiden's discography (chronologically). all will be listened to on CDs checked out from the local library! currently at 1983 - i'll probably stop when i get to the 90s, unless there're any 'must hears' after that point.

Iron Maiden (1980)
Killers (1981)
The Number of the Beast (1982)
Piece of Mind (1983)
Powerslave (1984)
Somewhere in Time (1986)
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)

EDIT: "In a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime when dinosaurs walked the eeeeaaaaaaaaaaarth!" lol
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.