What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Xmann »

JSHAW wrote:
Xmann wrote:
JSHAW wrote:Image

Megadeth - Dystopia

Probably one of their best's in a long time. Add a new guitarist, a new drummer, and mix that
with Mustaine and Ellefson and it's pretty damn good.
It is a good album.

Too bad they still play the same set live, as they have for years now.
I gotta call bs on this.

How can the band play the same set list when as in this year, with the release of Dystopia,
new songs from this get added to their set list?

Any new material from Dystopia, added to their set list automatically makes that a NEW
and DIFFERENT set list than from previous years when Dystopia hadn't even been created.

There's no way a band like Megadeth, and with a leader like Dave Mustaine, is gonna give the
fans the same set list year after year after year, with no new songs from new material they've
released over the years. No way jose...

With as much material as Megadeth has to choose from I wouldn't be suprised if at least 1-3 new
songs, maybe more get in their 2016 set list, but there's no way you can tell me they will play
the same exact set list from years before, and NOT play any tracks from Dystopia. The proof is already
on youtube. Their current shows in the U.S show the new track(s) they've been playing live, and filmed by concert goers.
OK, so they've added 1 or 2 new songs... but it's essentially the same 12 or so songs played over and over.

Look at setlist.com and look at the last several years. I'm going out on a limb and say it's been 80% the same songs. Regardless of new albums and the huge catalog they have, Megadave spits out the same shitty set tour after tour.

I saw them twice, 4 years apart and there was only 2 different songs for each show.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, look at someone like Slayer. They have a huge catalog, similar to Megadeth. Slayer is constantly changing their sets and you can pretty much guarantee a different show every time. Not the same recycled 15 year old songs.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Xmann wrote:
JSHAW wrote:
Xmann wrote:

Megadeth - Dystopia

Probably one of their best's in a long time. Add a new guitarist, a new drummer, and mix that
It is a good album.

I gotta call bs on this.

How can the band play the same set list when as in this year, with the release of Dystopia,

Any new material from Dystopia, added to their set list automatically makes that a NEW
and DIFFERENT set list than from previous years when Dystopia hadn't even been created.

There's no way a band like Megadeth, and with a leader like Dave Mustaine, is gonna give the
fans the same set list year after year after year, with no new songs from new material they've

With as much material as Megadeth has to choose from I wouldn't be suprised if at least 1-3 new
songs, maybe more get in their 2016 set list, but there's no way you can tell me they will play
the same exact set list from years before, and NOT play any tracks from Dystopia. The proof is already
on youtube. Their current shows in the U.S show the new track(s) they've been playing live, and filmed by concert goers.
OK, so they've added 1 or 2 new songs... but it's essentially the same 12 or so songs played over and over.

Look at setlist.com and look at the last several years. I'm going out on a limb and say it's been 80% the same songs. Regardless of new albums and the huge catalog they have, Megadave spits out the same shitty set tour after tour.

I saw them twice, 4 years apart and there was only 2 different songs for each show.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, look at someone like Slayer. They have a huge catalog, similar to Megadeth. Slayer is constantly changing their sets and you can pretty much guarantee a different show every time. Not the same recycled 15 year old songs.
And if you think Megadave cares about his fans, you really don't know anything about that doucebag.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Xmann wrote:
Xmann wrote:
JSHAW wrote:
Xmann wrote:

Megadeth - Dystopia

It is a good album.

I gotta call bs on this.

And if you think Megadave cares about his fans, you really don't know anything about that doucebag.

So now, you're gonna tell me you know him personally? You were best buds with him at some point in time but you had a falling out, kinda like Metallica had with him, and in this case he kicked you to the curb? OK...sorry to hear about that.

I've been going to concerts since the 1980's, I have some knowledge about how bands change up their set lists. In the case of Dream Theater when Portnoy was with them he changed them up constantly.

I'm gonna air on the side of caution and believe you on Megadeth and the set list issue.

I've read many many things about Mustaine. I just listen to the music, I don't want a personal
relationship with the dude.
telcta

Post by telcta »

"The Host of Seraphim" - Dead Can Dance

Saw The Mist for the first time, not sure how I missed that before but it was a pretty damn good movie. The song at the end, along with the visuals was just great and had to look it up.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

This thread delivers.

:pop:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

JSHAW wrote:
Xmann wrote:
Xmann wrote:
JSHAW wrote:
Xmann wrote:

Megadeth - Dystopia

It is a good album.

I gotta call bs on this.

So now, you're gonna tell me you know him personally? You were best buds with him at some point in time but you had a falling out, kinda like Metallica had with him, and in this case he kicked you to the curb? OK...sorry to hear about that.

I've been going to concerts since the 1980's, I have some knowledge about how bands change up their set lists. In the case of Dream Theater when Portnoy was with them he changed them up constantly.

I'm gonna air on the side of caution and believe you on Megadeth and the set list issue.

I've read many many things about Mustaine. I just listen to the music, I don't want a personal
relationship with the dude.
Do a 5 minute Google search and you'll find plenty of evidence as to the person Mustaine is...that's how I know. Pretty much every one in the metal community will tell you the same thing.

Not sure why your are getting defensive about it. You stated that no way Dave is going to give his fans the same set year after year, when in fact he pretty much does.

And as much an asshat that Dave is, I would go see this tour if not for having to listen to 11, that's right 11, of the same songs I saw them perform 3 years ago. I do see they are playing 3 songs from Dystopia, but there is no excuse to continually play the other same songs year after year. That's my point.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Stressed, tired, and not feeling up to making a musical selection. So I'm listening to rain.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's a nice app. There are numerous rain/sea/ambient noises. You can blend three of them together at the same time, there's a sleep timer, and even a color screen that allows you to blend a few colors and will fluctuate in brightness to the sound if desired.
Lnorigb

Post by Lnorigb »

Ra Ra Riot's newest album Need Your Light is getting a lot of play in my house. I found them at my first SXSW event and they blew me away way back then. they are even better now.
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." -anais nin

“Some people never go crazy; what truly horrible lives they must live.” - charles bukowski
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Lately, I've switched to a hard rock radio station while I'm at work (instead of my usual Classic Rock). This was about two years ago. And that's when I heard Killing In The Name by Rage Against The Machine for the first time. I mistakenly thought it was a new song. At first it wasn't my thing, but now, after a couple of years of listening to it periodically, I just love it. It's gotta be some kind of a classic some day.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Giles Habibula wrote:Lately, I've switched to a hard rock radio station while I'm at work (instead of my usual Classic Rock). This was about two years ago. And that's when I heard Killing In The Name by Rage Against The Machine for the first time. I mistakenly thought it was a new song. At first it wasn't my thing, but now, after a couple of years of listening to it periodically, I just love it. It's gotta be some kind of a classic some day.
Rage made some great music. I already consider that song a classic.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that first CD came out during my freshman year of college and TOOL released Undertow in the Spring. 1992/93 was a bananas year for music...and yeah, it's "classic rock" now. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, that first CD came out during my freshman year of college and TOOL released Undertow in the Spring.
I bought those two cassettes from Sam Goody on the same day.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm old enough to be able to parse that entire sentence. I actually had to bust out Undertow after mentioning it. Currently listening to Forty Six & 2. It still delivers.

EDIT: Damn you Youtube. Now I need to go listen to Lateralus and marvel at the connection to the Fibonacci sequence - which still amazes me. Everyone should really listen to more TOOL.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote:Currently listening to 46 & 2. It still delivers.
Still my favorite Tool song. If you haven't seen it before, watch these kids do an amazing cover.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

heh. I feel like such an old man. That same "new" radio station I'm listening to also introduced me to Tool for the first time. It took a few months, but I'm really digging them as well. And quite a few other bands that have been around a long time, but I'm only just hearing them for the first time lately. :oops:

Disturbed, for instance.
And I just bought a Ronny Munroe CD. Never heard of him until two weeks ago.
Also Avenged Sevenfold.
Oh, and Volbeat. Big fan of Volbeat.
Too many to list, actually. I had to buy another CD shelf system.

My girlfriend says I'm in some kind of strange second childhood.
I think I was just into country music when all this stuff came through the first time, and thus completely missed it. Totally.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/ ... _exclusive

Flogging Molly moving back to an older sound. I'm trying to figure out if that's a good or bad thing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kate Rusby. Something nice and soothing, as the workload is stressing me out with 'emergency' tasks that should have been brought to our attention weeks ago.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Mrs Nym

Post by Mrs Nym »

That most beautiful of all sounds, baseball. :wub:
Currently playing: Palia
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

On 2/15, I got an e-mail telling me that I was scheduled for auto renewal of the MLB.TV package, as I'd picked it up late in the year. On 2/16, I cancelled it and got a confirmation e-mail. Imagine my surprise when I checked my card and had a pending charge for over $100 from MLB. I had to e-mail them to reverse the charge.

Normally, I pick up the radio package to listen to Eric Nadel. I'm rethinking that position this year.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

New/recent dollyrots acoustic album with songs like punk rock werewolf ,rather be a zombie and emo cthulu
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Giles Habibula wrote:heh. I feel like such an old man. That same "new" radio station I'm listening to also introduced me to Tool for the first time. It took a few months, but I'm really digging them as well. And quite a few other bands that have been around a long time, but I'm only just hearing them for the first time lately. :oops:

Disturbed, for instance.
And I just bought a Ronny Munroe CD. Never heard of him until two weeks ago.
Also Avenged Sevenfold.
Oh, and Volbeat. Big fan of Volbeat.
Too many to list, actually. I had to buy another CD shelf system.

My girlfriend says I'm in some kind of strange second childhood.
I think I was just into country music when all this stuff came through the first time, and thus completely missed it. Totally.
Listen to some of the older Volbeat stuff. Some really decent rock/punk stuff. Saw them open for Megadeth a few years back and they were awesome live.

Their newer stuff is too much pop rock for me. They've gone commercial.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Xmann wrote:Listen to some of the older Volbeat stuff. Some really decent rock/punk stuff. Saw them open for Megadeth a few years back and they were awesome live.

Their newer stuff is too much pop rock for me. They've gone commercial.
Thanks, I will. I've got their first albums in my cart at Amazon. I currently only own their last two releases, from which I can tell they've gone commercial, particularly in the radio singles, but damn they have a great commercial sound, and don't sound like anyone else.

They were actually here in Bismarck a couple of years ago, and I didn't go because I wasn't listening to that radio station at that time, and had no idea what kind of music they played. They appeared along with Five Finger Death Punch, and one other band, none of which I had heard of at the time. I'm thinking the third band was Godsmack, but wouldn't swear to it. In any case, I regret that I missed my chance.

Instead, my girlfriend bought tickets and insisted I go along to see her idol, Rick Springfield, at the local opera house. Which was actually a good time if you get a kick out of seeing middle-aged women swooning over a 60-something guy. It helped that I knew all of the songs from back in the day, and he was a decent storyteller.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've been hooked on the new Goatpsalm album this week. I'm not even entirely sure what you'd classify it as. Dark/ambient/pagan/atmospheric/electronic/metal? It's what would happen if you took the creepy, minimalist soundtracks to the old Thief games, mixed in some unique instruments (mouth harp, clay bells, sanshin, etc.), layer some whispered and/or harsh vocals on top, and record it all in the middle of a forest at night. Very creepy and wholly fascinating.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Don't Kill It, Carol
You Angel, You

Did you see me
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The 2016 SxSW download, of course.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

lol Okay, I gotta admit I kinda like it!
Reminds me a little of Bullet.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Skinypupy wrote:I've been hooked on the new Goatpsalm album this week. .
Of all the samples you've posted and I've tried, that is by far the most listenable to me. I left the songs running while I typed up a bunch of emails just now, and I must say that I rather enjoyed it. Atmospheric and almost calming. So thanks. I needed the calming. :)
nasai

Post by nasai »

New Babymetal record released on April Fool's Day. So weird. So good.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Giles Habibula wrote: lol Okay, I gotta admit I kinda like it!
My gosh, that's ghastly. I love it!

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Bullet - Dusk Till Dawn

I can't believe this is from 2008. How do these guys exist? I can't tell if they're being ironic; I'm occasionally flashing back to Limozeen. But this is like... the best of 80s heavy metal. But not from the 80s. And actually good. I'm so confused. Thank the metal gods I clicked on your link....

Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Sudy Nym wrote:
Giles Habibula wrote: lol Okay, I gotta admit I kinda like it!
My gosh, that's ghastly. I love it!
And the lead singer, Hell Hofer, doesn't exactly look the part.

That bit aside, this was one of my favorite Youtube concerts I've seen recently. Recorded at Trafo (a converted old power plant) in Berlin, and hosted by the inimitable Silke Super, Gamma Ray and Crucified Barbara also perform. I think it's the perfect venue for a metal concert. I have my doubts about the acoustics, but the look of it is just awesome, complete with open pits.

Enlarge Image
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Enlarge Image

It's been a while.
18-1™ & 2-0
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I love rediscovering a song I used to adore and have entirely forgotten, and then within the first few seconds remembering how utterly awesome it is.

Megadeth - Addicted to Chaos

KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

In strong contrast to the heavy metal, I have Chants of India coming through the computer speakers. Still in my George Harrison phrase, which has lasted over a year now. The physical disc should be in my hands before the week is over. Can't download from iTunes and had to buy a CD.
Last edited by KKBlue on Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Beck - Guero
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Sudy Nym wrote:Bullet - Dusk Till Dawn

I can't believe this is from 2008. How do these guys exist? I can't tell if they're being ironic; I'm occasionally flashing back to Limozeen. But this is like... the best of 80s heavy metal. But not from the 80s. And actually good. I'm so confused. Thank the metal gods I clicked on your link....
Oh wow, I totally missed your second post before.
I think an excerpt from this review sums them up nicely:
Spoiler:
Really, though, this is all about the 'spirit' of the medium, which the Swedes do absolutely nothing to mock or belittle, something shit 'comedy' acts like Steel Panther could take a lesson or two from. Heavy metal is not a fucking joke for some of us, not just a convenient stereotype we use to distance ourselves from the rest of civilization. And it never was. I find it so refreshing to have outfits like this one and Enforcer and their ilk doing no disservice to the style they celebrate, which for a more jaded audience has long since been trampled on by increasing aggression and disaffection in both lyrical themes and musical timbre/technicality. To an extent, a record like Storm of Blades can never be perfect...it knows that, it knows it is 30+ years late to the party and for much of the world there is just no turning back. Even the band's name is retread from a relatively unknown German act active from about 1978-84. But it proudly flashes the middle finger anyway with a well written, archetypal effort that I just can't imagine anyone couldn't have a good time with this. Simplicity for the sake of craft. I haven't delved heavily into all of their older records but this is certainly the most fun I've had listening to them to date. Even my nine month old smiles and bounces around to this one when it hits the speakers.
I can't even remember how I found Bullet a year or two ago. IIRC, I was looking for some live Gamma Ray stuff, and found that Trafo concert I linked to in my post above, where Bullet was one of three bands that alternated from different ends of the venue. For some reason, I totally loved that venue, the whole idea of having three bands set up at the same time and switching between them, and got smitten with Bullet, all at once. And Crucified Barbara wasn't bad either. I bought a CD from each of those bands.

The Europeans have been stuck in the 70s and 80s for decades now, and I couldn't be happier.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Couple years late, but The Smashing Pumpkins' most recent album is pretty great at first listen! I added more than half its tracks to my main Spotify playlist.

This seems like the album Machina/The Machines of God *should* have been (which I still remember getting up early before school to go to Walmart for, and then back again at lunch when they didn't have it... and then being fairly disappointed when I finally gave it a listen).

More concerning however is that Billy Corgan has apparently become a conservative wingnut conspiracy theorist and professional wrestling promoter (?) ....